Mitchell Twins

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Mitchell Twins

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Look no further than UCONN and Dan Hurley

6'9" - Adama Sanogo - 240#
6'9" - Isaiah Whaley - 225#
6'6" - Tyrese Martin - 215#
6'6" - Andre Jackson - 205#
6'1" - R.J Cole - 185#

6'10" - Makhel Mitchell - 245#
6'9" - Makhi Mitchell - 230#
6''3" - Ishmael El-Amin - 180#
6'2" - Ishmael Leggett - 180#
6'1" - Jeremy Sheppard - 165#

But we can’t play a 6’9” and a 6’10” but UCONN can play a 6’9” and 6’9 “ plus UCONN’s 1st big off bench Polley is also 6’9”

And why should Walker only be argued to replace Makhi? Why can’t Walker 6’7” be in place of El-Amin or Leggett? Tyrese Martin and Andre Jackson are both 6’6”.

Are we afraid of being too tall?
It has literally nothing to do with their size. It’s that they play the exact same game. They have the exact same skill set.

Sanogo is a back to the basket big. Whaley is a Dennis Rodman type junkyard dog who they don’t call plays for. Polley is strictly a 3 point catch and shoot marksmen. Their games are all different and how they fit in an offense is different. Our two guys are literal twins- they want to occupy the same space and have very very similar skill sets. It doesn’t work.
Have we gone backwards so badly in basketball that our fans forget how this works?

It’s not about height. It’s about skill.

Hass Martin was 6’6 and would’ve eaten the twins lunch.

Kuran Iverson was 6’9 and would’ve been the best guard in our backcourt.

Take a lap.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Anyone have the number of techs they have on the year?
……I think Ramster posted this…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

6'1" - R.J Cole - 185#

But we can’t play a 6’9” and a 6’10” but UCONN can play a 6’9” and 6’9 “ plus UCONN’s 1st big off bench Polley is also 6’9”

And why should Walker only be argued to replace Makhi? Why can’t Walker 6’7” be in place of El-Amin or Leggett? Tyrese Martin and Andre Jackson are both 6’6”.

It has literally nothing to do with their size. It’s that they play the exact same game. They have the exact same skill set.

Sanogo is a back to the basket big. Whaley is a Dennis Rodman type junkyard dog who they don’t call plays for. Polley is strictly a 3 point catch and shoot marksmen. Their games are all different and how they fit in an offense is different. Our two guys are literal twins- they want to occupy the same space and have very very similar skill sets. It doesn’t work.
Have we gone backwards so badly in basketball that our fans forget how this works?

Take a lap.
I thought Makhi was our point guard
5 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Two thoughts that are paramount in my mind concerning the team. The Mitchell’s have been completely undisciplined and left to run wild. How else can we explain they are leading the league in technical fouls. Second at some point in the season David Cox gave up on the team and boy does it show. It hurts immensely when Cox continues to start both Ish’s and neither belong there. It hurts immensely when the Twins are most often played at same time. And it hurts immensely when team spirit is broken. It is of my opinion the the Mitchell twins are the problem not part of the solution.
6 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody22 wrote: 2 years agoFrom who?

People who write checks
That’s what I wanted to hear! Money talks! Thanks!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Anyone have the number of techs they have on the year?
Was it in the 16th or the 17th paragraph of his post that listed every play they were in during the loss to Fordham?
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Was it in the 16th or the 17th paragraph of his post that listed every play they were in during the loss to Fordham?
It’s like he makes those posts to try and prove how smart he is and how much knowledge he has on the game of basketball.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

neil wrote: 2 years ago If it really was a tech for not tucking your shirt in, any decent coach would have yanked him for the rest of the game or more. I hope some reporter has the balls on the post game to ask Cox why Mitchell remained in the game.
On another topic, I have gone to 52 straight senior nights, but that streak will end this year. Do you hear me Thorr? Your most loyal fan won’t be there. In the 80’s, I used to sign my posts”have not and will not quit that ram fan” If you want me to start another streak next year, do something now!
Wow. Anyone familiar with Neil’s excellent and epic senior night threads knows how meaningful this is.
8 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
neil wrote: 2 years ago If it really was a tech for not tucking your shirt in, any decent coach would have yanked him for the rest of the game or more. I hope some reporter has the balls on the post game to ask Cox why Mitchell remained in the game.
On another topic, I have gone to 52 straight senior nights, but that streak will end this year. Do you hear me Thorr? Your most loyal fan won’t be there. In the 80’s, I used to sign my posts”have not and will not quit that ram fan” If you want me to start another streak next year, do something now!
Wow. Anyone familiar with Neil’s excellent and epic senior night threads knows how meaningful this is.
Like I said on the last page, this team actually made Neil and Obadiah take giant steps back, which tells you everything you need to know. That's an impressive amount of suck to make something like that happen, because I've seen some shitty teams over the last two plus decades, and even they couldn't do that to those two
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Neil, I hope you have let this be known to Thorr. Tell him exactly what you said in this post. That is powerful.
8 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Holy crap. I had to read this a few times just to make sure I understood the gravity.

We are all with you, Neil.
9 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago
Like I said on the last page, this team actually made Neil and Obadiah take giant steps back, which tells you everything you need to know. That's an impressive amount of suck to make something like that happen, because I've seen some shitty teams over the last two plus decades, and even they couldn't do that to those two
Absolutely 💯 agreed.
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Way too much dribbling from the big guys. It doesn't make sense. That said, that's just one of the many problems this team has now. It's a long list.
Last edited by Rhody_NYCT 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seemingly he devised a strategy to emphasize tough defense, rim protection and dominating inside. Basically win a bunch of rock fights. He designed an offense and rotation around that. Here’s the issue - to win with that you need to be a disciplined, low turnover, prolific free throw shooting team. We are none of those. And it was obvious 10 minutes into the BU game.
2 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

neil wrote: 2 years ago If it really was a tech for not tucking your shirt in, any decent coach would have yanked him for the rest of the game or more. I hope some reporter has the balls on the post game to ask Cox CT why Mitchell remained in the game.
Solid post Neil!

Local sports reporters rarely have balls. One reason is coaches here aren't used to it and might backlist the reporter.

Old-timers on the board will remember that I solicited questions from you before an interview with Dan Hurley years ago shortly after his brother went to Arizona to coach ASU.
I dared ask our coach if that could negatively affect our guard play because his brother was so respected. Dan was cordial, but right after the interview his PR guy called me and said Dan was mad at me for the questions. He said why the heck would I take questions from you folks. That fired me up and I answered "this is possibly the teams most loyal fans and my JOB is to get their questions answered!"

Well the sports gods blessed me because a few weeks later the Rams came to Tucson and Dan had to deal with me face to face. Twice. lol I told him I went to URI and was a big fan and the tension lessened some.

Coaches expect ass-kissing questions when you're in a smaller market. Reporters need to step up!!!!!!
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

“You will suck as a coach without your brother. Care to comment?” You shoehorned that story in here, but i don’t think it portrays you in the light you think it does. Your details are wrong, too. Bobby had been at Buffalo for two years before going to ASU. How does that impact Rhode Island guards?
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 2 years ago “You will suck as a coach without your brother. Care to comment?” You shoehorned that story in here, but i don’t think it portrays you in the light you think it does. Your details are wrong, too. Bobby had been at Buffalo for two years before going to ASU. How does that impact Rhode Island guards?
Did he actually say that? Man, that would be embarrassing if he did.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Hell has frozen over.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
It’s like he makes those posts to try and prove how smart he is and how much knowledge he has on the game of basketball.
PRT,

I created a thread to track Technical Fouls for URI and Opponents through all of the games for the season since this subject comes up so often this year. Will keep in a thread so the info is easy to locate, and easy to ignore if desired.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6'1" - R.J Cole - 185#

Take a lap.
Blue Man, BAR,

The discussion about heights of big men is around the Mike Powell post that you can't have two 7 footers at the same time in modern basketball. That was where and how the height of players started and continued.
I'm not "taking a lap" for discussing the original subject.
Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago You cannot play two 7 footers at the same time in modern basketball. They clog up the lane and make it nearly impossible for anyone on the team to drive to the basket. They cause terrible spacing on the floor.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Take a lap.
Blue Man, BAR,

The discussion about heights of big men is around the Mike Powell post that you can't have two 7 footers at the same time in modern basketball. That was where and how the height of players started and continued.
Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago You cannot play two 7 footers at the same time in modern basketball. They clog up the lane and make it nearly impossible for anyone on the team to drive to the basket. They cause terrible spacing on the floor.
Ah missed that.

Point being it’s skill not size. I understand the context now.

Mike Powell can take his lap and your lap if he’s back out of jail.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Take a lap.
Blue Man, BAR,

Ah missed that.

Did Powell get arrested, and I missed the story? I know Alwayne Bigby got arrested, but given that he was only a one-year transfer player here, I realize he kind of fell off everyone's radar after his arrest. He was found not guilty after at trial.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Blue Man, BAR,

Ah missed that.

Did Powell get arrested, and I missed the story? I know Alwayne Bigby got arrested, but given that he was only a one-year transfer player here, I realize he kind of fell off everyone's radar after his arrest. He was found not guilty after at trial.
As far as I knew he was in and out of jail in Chicago.

A lot of times you can tell by the long pauses in his Twitter postings.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Neil, here's hoping you keep your streak.
These last 2 years have sucked for everybody, some obviously got it worse than others.
The kids had to play last year with no fans.
We didn't get to say goodbye to Fatts.
Everybody missed out on a postseason in 2020.
Thorr is going to do what needs to be done after the season is over.
Those kids are our players, and they deserve better than they've gotten (in countless ways).
I'm going to be there Saturday to say thanks.
Hope to see you at the RC at noon.
Don't quit now.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
These last 2 years have sucked for everybody, some obviously got it worse than others.
Those kids are our players, and they deserve better than they've gotten (in countless ways).
Don't quit now.
To be fair to Neil - what's made it special is that he writes a very thoughtful review of the players who've given so much to the school. What makes it so special is the connection felt between players who've been here and become a part of the community.

Tough to feel that connection with the year without fans number one.

Number two - you're honoring 2 guys who combined have been here 3 years. I don't even know if you honor El-Amin because he's a grad and it's been a year.

Sheppard was here 2 years. Technically 3 with the sit-out.

But this was supposed to be a senior year to celebrate the "best recruiting class ever" and none of them made it. Martin would've been a senior this year. Fatts would've been a fifth year. Silverio. Tate. Harris.

You can say it's been the "new normal" of college basketball, but Hurley only had 1 grad transfer and 2 others (after 3 years) transfer out for playing time.

Cox has lost starters. Thompson. Martin. Toppin. Russell.

So I don't blame Neil at all. A write-up the way he typically does isn't really worthy of anyone that's here anymore.

This program is more lifeless and soulless than it was at the end of Baron. Dead. If any year didn't deserve Neil's fandom and effort, it would be this one.

If DC Rams/TJ Rams/other burners/The new one that popped up last week wanted to give us a soliloquy about how we're wrong and everything is explainable, before he packs his bags to annoy another fanbase and tell them all why he's the smartest guy and everyone else doesn't know what they're talking about. I'd love that.

One more time for old times sake you sad fraud. Tell us how big of a fan you are before you follow coach to the next stop.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I was thinking about that the other day. 4 years ago we had a recruiting class of 5 and none of them are here. That is the saddest part. If you can't get connected with the players then why bother having a senior night.

This is bad...very bad.... bad
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

I get it, believe me.
You likely don't remember how pissed I was in March of '20 when all the players started leaving.
I expected Fatts to quit too.
To his credit he stayed and graduated.
Now he's at Maryland.
I have no problems with that at all.
I just wish we had been able to recognize him as a graduating member of our team last year.
He gave us some great moments, and was as tough as nails playing through the injuries he had.
(Please spare me the criticism of his game; this is neither the time nor the place.
Those posts are all still there. If you want to read all that crap again, be my guest.)

Back to my point...
When nearly all the players left, I was so pissed (at the coach) that I didn't want to talk about Rhody until the season started.
Then when it did, we couldn't go to the games.

Flash forward to this year, and the ONLY GUY WE HAD SEEN IN PERSON was Walker.
You think the recruiting class didn't work out? Hmmm.

I'm just glad we will be able to thank Jeremy and Ish for their contributions tomorrow.

They didn't cause any of this, and they deserve our support.

Thorr is going to take care of everything in time, so put the hostilities away and salute the seniors...

Or not, it's your choice.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago I get it, believe me.
You likely don't remember how pissed I was in March of '20 when all the players started leaving.
I expected Fatts to quit too.
To his credit he stayed and graduated.
Now he's at Maryland.
I have no problems with that at all.
I just wish we had been able to recognize him as a graduating member of our team last year.
He gave us some great moments, and was as tough as nails playing through the injuries he had.
(Please spare me the criticism of his game; this is neither the time nor the place.
Those posts are all still there. If you want to read all that crap again, be my guest.)

Back to my point...
When nearly all the players left, I was so pissed (at the coach) that I didn't want to talk about Rhody until the season started.
Then when it did, we couldn't go to the games.

Flash forward to this year, and the ONLY GUY WE HAD SEEN IN PERSON was Walker.
You think the recruiting class didn't work out? Hmmm.

I'm just glad we will be able to thank Jeremy and Ish for their contributions tomorrow.

They didn't cause any of this, and they deserve our support.

Thorr is going to take care of everything in time, so put the hostilities away and salute the seniors...

Or not, it's your choice.
Rudder
I dont think it is criticism of the two players, its a lock of connection. We as fans develop a connection with "our guys" over their time her eat URI and with either of the 2 players we don't have that.

Think back a couple of years ago and what it felt like for Cyril and Jeff's senior night. That was a very emotional night for most of us. They were here for 4 years and battled for us fans with every ounce of energy they had. Its just not there now.
3 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Don't quit now.
To be fair to Neil - what's made it special is that he writes a very thoughtful review of the players who've given so much to the school. What makes it so special is the connection felt between players who've been here and become a part of the community.

Number two - you're honoring 2 guys who combined have been here 3 years. I don't even know if you honor El-Amin because he's a grad and it's been a year.

But this was supposed to be a senior year to celebrate the "best recruiting class ever" and none of them made it. Martin would've been a senior this year. Fatts would've been a fifth year. Silverio. Tate. Harris.

You can say it's been the "new normal" of college basketball, but Hurley only had 1 grad transfer and 2 others (after 3 years) transfer out for playing time.

So I don't blame Neil at all. A write-up the way he typically does isn't really worthy of anyone that's here anymore.

This program is more lifeless and soulless than it was at the end of Baron. Dead. If any year didn't deserve Neil's fandom and effort, it would be this one.

If DC Rams/TJ Rams/other burners/The new one that popped up last week wanted to give us a soliloquy about how we're wrong and everything is explainable, before he packs his bags to annoy another fanbase and tell them all why he's the smartest guy and everyone else doesn't know what they're talking about. I'd love that.

One more time for old times sake you sad fraud. Tell us how big of a fan you are before you follow coach to the next stop.
TJ Rams was on the board a week ago... Dawanbuckets hasn't posted since we all said it's likely DC Rams again.... I would respect the hell out of DC if he came back on here and admitted he was wrong. As we have all said countless times we didn't want Cox to fail we just witnessed a ton of red flags early on that translated to more and more losses. Now we are at rock bottom.

DC will you please admit you were wrong and we can all root for the new coach together?? Since you claim you're a fan of this program I'm assuming you'd still like to be apart of the discussion instead of making up new accounts every other week.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Don't quit now.

TJ Rams was on the board a week ago... Dawanbuckets hasn't posted since we all said it's likely DC Rams again.... I would respect the hell out of DC if he came back on here and admitted he was wrong. As we have all said countless times we didn't want Cox to fail we just witnessed a ton of red flags early on that translated to more and more losses. Now we are at rock bottom.

DC will you please admit you were wrong and we can all root for the new coach together?? Since you claim you're a fan of this program I'm assuming you'd still like to be apart of the discussion instead of making up new accounts every other week.
FWIW, I don't want every new person still positive on the program to turn into a game of "Is this DC Rams Buckets tho?!?!" Dawanbuckets isn't them, and TJ Rams hasn't posted since the Harvard thread where he was outed. DC_Rams hasn't posted since then either, but he was "last online" a week ago, so he's still around, reading.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DC Rams won’t admit he’s wrong he will go to where Cox ends up as an assistant and bother that teams fan base , he is a Cox supporter not a URI fan
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 2 years ago DC Rams won’t admit he’s wrong he will go to where Cox ends up as an assistant and bother that teams fan base , he is a Cox supporter not a URI fan
I wonder if Cox even likes him lol
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago DC Rams won’t admit he’s wrong he will go to where Cox ends up as an assistant and bother that teams fan base , he is a Cox supporter not a URI fan
…….wonder if Cox even knows him…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I wonder if he and Cox are the same person
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Stay away DC Rams stay away we don’t want u here !!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

He is not, for the record.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

He is not, for the record.
Sigh....fine

(Just kidding, ATP)

Can't fault me for at least considering it
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thank you Rudder for suggesting that I continue the streak. But I’ve given it some thought and will watch it at home. Thorr knows me. With the help of my son and Thorr, I was able to sneak into last years Senior night. I signed in as a scout and yelled like crazy when Fatts was introduced. Thorr knows how loyal and crazy I am. I hope I got his attention. I probably will attend next weeks game since it is not a senior night.
I love senior night. I like the fact that they honor whnot just the starters but the blue collar, get down and dirty rams. Phil Kydd, Percy Davis, TJ and a whole bunch of others. I have seen the best, too. Stephenson and Larry Johnson, jiggly and Stan, Silk and Tommy, Tyson and Cat.

Question, especially the non graybeards - If you could go back in time, whose Senior night would you wan to attend? For you trivia fans, Dave Bialski a transfer from Yale was the only one honored in I984. ( not sure of the date)Go Rhody!
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

neil wrote: 2 years ago Thank you Rudder for suggesting that I continue the streak. But I’ve given it some thought and will watch it at home. Thorr knows me. With the help of my son and Thorr, I was able to sneak into last years Senior night. I signed in as a scout and yelled like crazy when Fatts was introduced. Thorr knows how loyal and crazy I am. I hope I got his attention. I probably will attend next weeks game since it is not a senior night.
I love senior night. I like the fact that they honor whnot just the starters but the blue collar, get down and dirty rams. Phil Kydd, Percy Davis, TJ and a whole bunch of others. I have seen the best, too. Stephenson and Larry Johnson, jiggly and Stan, Silk and Tommy, Tyson and Cat.

Question, especially the non graybeards - If you could go back in time, whose Senior night would you wan to attend? For you trivia fans, Dave Bialski a transfer from Yale was the only one honored in I984. ( not sure of the date)Go Rhody!
Neil I don't consider myself a graybeard but I'm close, but if I could go back in time I would want to see the 1988 senior night. I was stationed in Germany in the Army after my freshman year and rooted for that team like no other. When they beat Syracuse, it was unbelievable. My bracket had the team in the Sweet 16 and they did it. I was never more proud of URI.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

neil wrote: 2 years ago Thank you Rudder for suggesting that I continue the streak. But I’ve given it some thought and will watch it at home. Thorr knows me. With the help of my son and Thorr, I was able to sneak into last years Senior night. I signed in as a scout and yelled like crazy when Fatts was introduced. Thorr knows how loyal and crazy I am. I hope I got his attention. I probably will attend next weeks game since it is not a senior night.

I’d go back to ‘98 and relive it.

The cheerleaders holding up the sign with “our final four” with John Bennett, Josh King, Cat and Tyson.

That was the team that locked me in to URI for good.

That was a great one.

TJ kissing the logo will forever make me emotional.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The 78. 88. and 98 senior nights would be at the top for me
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don't quit now.
Neil,
I agree with Rudder,
I love to go to Senior nights (days0
In Baron's last season (which we din't know for sure would be his last), similar environment to this but I think even worse.
Same thing was people saying don't go to games, don't buy tickets, we need Baron out.
I went to the last game and also to the UMASS game at UMASS to end the season.
We finished 7-24 and 4-11 in Conference. Back then the bottom 2 teams did not make the A10 Tournament at all - so our last game was @ UMASS

My greatest memory was the hustle that TJ Buchanan, only a Freshman, displayed in the final minutes of the final game of the season that some could and would say was meaningless. But here was TJ giving it his all. I saw that live with my own eyes - not many URI fans at UMASS that day.

Senior day we crushed Fordham by 20. Anthony Malhoit got the "Senior Start" and did he deliver with 21 points and 9 rebounds.
Senior Orion Outerbridge had a double double

Senior Days are and will be different moving forward due to the new transfer rules.

URI WBB just had Senior Night with 5 players recognized:
Williams and Elmore only playing 1 year at URI
Foppossi and Tahane planed 2 years at URI
Marta Vargas played 5 years at URI getting the 5th Covid year

But it was a nice ceremony. Well attended. Marta Vargas especially appreciated by me for a number of reasons. She was here for 5 years including the worst years. Marta stayed with the program with Tammi. She lost her starting position, when she had a bout of Covid, to Sophomore Dolly Cairns. She never complained, she held her head high and I couldn't be prouder of a player who came here to URI from Portugal. I've watched her since her Freshman year. She and others had to endure parts of these last 2 years from their home country now knowing what the next month would bring.

Recognizing players who started and ended their careers at one school are getting rare

Sheppard was here 3 years since he sat out his first. He is a fine representative of URI in his on-court and off-court behavior. He is a humble and unselfish player.
El-Amin chose URI for his last year of eligibility and has exhibited a team spirit and commendable leadership. He is also an excellent representative of URI. He is also an unselfish, team first type of player.

Sneak in with a Big Mask on if you don't want to be recognized but Senior Night will not be the same without you and I mean that with all sincerity and the utmost of respect. You are Senior Night to us long term fans of URI. Obviously if you don't go we fully understand.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd like to go back to '78 because I'm sure I was wasted and having a hell of a good time. In all seriousness though, I'd like to go to Calverly's time. A glorious time for Rhody basketball. Since it was before my time, it feels mythical to me. I'd love to see it with my own eyes.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

My philosophy: don't punish the seniors for the misdeeds of others. Sheppard and El Amin are not my favorite players of all time but deserve thanks for the effort.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I’d go back to ‘98 and relive it.

The cheerleaders holding up the sign with “our final four” with John Bennett, Josh King, Cat and Tyson.

That was the team that locked me in to URI for good.

That was a great one.

TJ kissing the logo will forever make me emotional.
Blue Man has the same answer as me, though I wasn't lucky enough to actually be at the 98 one. I was accepted into URI in December of 97 and I decided to attend probably in January of 98. While most kids were wearing clothes from schools that were cool to root for, I was already starting to wear the URI stuff I was accumulating. By the end of March I was the one that was wearing the clothes of the best program. I wish I had made the trip and seen a game or two of that 97-98 team, especially senior night.

As for one to relive, definitely the one from 2014-15 though even 7 years later the details feel like they happened yesterday. That was an absolutely brutal winter if everyone remembers, seemingly getting a blizzard or two every week and terrible frost heaves around campus. That game was a Saturday afternoon matinee against St. Joe's and it couldn't have been better. It was a warmer day (so for that winter probably like 40 degrees or something) so snow was melting all over the place and it felt like a great day to get outside. A group of friends gathered before the game at Mews because everyone was excited that URI basketball had some hope and excitement so even casual alumns were excited to check out what was up with the team. Before the game honoring Gil Biruta, TJ, and Eric Youncofski. TJ was especially emotional, because his son had just been born with a health condition, so a video from him was played because he wasn't in attendance and then TJ kissing the court as he left. Hassan just absolutely demolishing a St. Joe's player and dunking the ball literally in his face. Eric coming in with 43 seconds left (ok, I didn't remember that detail, had to check the box score for the time) and missing what everyone thought would be his only shot attempt just for him to come back and hit a shot at the buzzer. Sticking around after the game trying to figure out if we had any chance of making the tournament that year. There was just so much hope and excitement that day and I miss that as much as anything
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Best poster ever…
That photo of hass
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

They were benched because of the “matchups” according to DC…
Hmmm
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Right, matchups, this is basketball and there is no advantage to having 2 talented 6-10 players against a smaller team. We should all be playing small…DiSano wasn’t buying it.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago They were benched because of the “matchups” according to DC…
Hmmm
Interesting.. I commented to my wife at one point. Not too often 1 Mitchell not on the floor never mind neither one playing a good chunk of the second half.. I would buy Cox's reasoning if he had been applying the same philosophy all year as I have mentioned in other game threads.. find it hard to believe that light bulb just went on in his head.. who knows.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Maybe they’re planning on leaving and cox knows he’s gone so no one cares?
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL