David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
woodennickel1
ARD

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago

Just like Kevin Ollie won a title in his first 2 years and then hit the skids once his players/methods/abilities took hold.

Everything Cox did well was because of Jeff Dowtin and Cyril Langevine. Really just Jeff. And he took Jeff off the ball and made him worse.

You had 2 years of an NBA PG and couldn’t get into a tournament from the A10.

Then after 2 years everything went soft. Cox had a championship caliber program. That first 100 games stat is basically just a barometer for how good of a situation he walked into.

DCRams or one of your burner accounts - want to tell me how that’s wrong?
I agree with you I think Cox is a horrible coach and I am a PC fan . Have not tried to hide that at all since I have been posting here. The reason I asked I obviously don't follow as close as you guys and was shocked to hear that.
Yeah hence our collective concern that the official accounts are tweeting that garbage for the casual fan (who doesn't pay attention to our program/go to games/care when we're not good) to try and say "oh I guess he's a good coach."

I think the writing is clearly on the wall at this point. He seems clueless and lost. Doesn't seem to have answers for simple questions or simple defenses. Throwing up his hands and saying "junk defense didn't expect that" or "good shooters didn't expect that" or "didn't play in a month we didn't know what to expect" or "best player was out didn't expect that" is just a common theme of him not having his team prepared for games. It's also an admission that even if not prepared, he doesn't have the ability/knowledge to make adjustments mid-game.

He's a great assistant coach. He's a great guy to have on your bench. If you have a hard-ass like a Hurley he's a necessary piece for the players to go to and smooth things over. He's incredibly well-spoken and understands the game of basketball. That doesn't translate to the ability to make decisions in the #1 chair.

He would probably do fine as a coach at a lower level program, maybe even his alma mater, or as an assistant at a high level program.

But he's absolutely cooked here.
Yeah if they are putting that stuff on official accounts you better be prepared to be disappointed because it would seem they are going to try and justify keeping him to the casual fan.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah if they are putting that stuff on official accounts you better be prepared to be disappointed because it would seem they are going to try and justify keeping him to the casual fan.
Could very well be. :(
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I agree with you I think Cox is a horrible coach and I am a PC fan . Have not tried to hide that at all since I have been posting here. The reason I asked I obviously don't follow as close as you guys and was shocked to hear that.
Yeah hence our collective concern that the official accounts are tweeting that garbage for the casual fan (who doesn't pay attention to our program/go to games/care when we're not good) to try and say "oh I guess he's a good coach."

I think the writing is clearly on the wall at this point. He seems clueless and lost. Doesn't seem to have answers for simple questions or simple defenses. Throwing up his hands and saying "junk defense didn't expect that" or "good shooters didn't expect that" or "didn't play in a month we didn't know what to expect" or "best player was out didn't expect that" is just a common theme of him not having his team prepared for games. It's also an admission that even if not prepared, he doesn't have the ability/knowledge to make adjustments mid-game.

He's a great assistant coach. He's a great guy to have on your bench. If you have a hard-ass like a Hurley he's a necessary piece for the players to go to and smooth things over. He's incredibly well-spoken and understands the game of basketball. That doesn't translate to the ability to make decisions in the #1 chair.

He would probably do fine as a coach at a lower level program, maybe even his alma mater, or as an assistant at a high level program.

But he's absolutely cooked here.
Yeah if they are putting that stuff on official accounts you better be prepared to be disappointed because it would seem they are going to try and justify keeping him to the casual fan.
I wouldn't read too much into that. They were doing what social media accounts have to do. I mean how often do you see GM's/owners outright say they have full faith that their manager/coach is the right guy for the job right before they're fired? This is a few steps even weaker than those votes of confidence
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I am not one to willingly jump into confrontation but Cox absolutely is not a POS coach. John Cheney who barges into post-game press conferences threatening to kill other coaches and sends in back of the bench goons to purposely hurt opposing players is a POS coach. Bobby Knight who throws chairs at anyone around is a POS coach. Win/Loss success doesn't determine if someone is a piece of shit; their actions on and off the court do.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

*** POS coach = "not going dancing consistently"

glad we cleared the air

this is about NCAA's.. correct ?

this entire forum is "NCAA OR BUST".. correct ?

therefore.. COX IS A BUST !

POS***
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

There is one other metric to gauge how well Cox is doing…is he being talked about as a coach that may be a candidate for any big time openings? What’s that sound I hear…crickets! Unfortunately for us, when you do really well here the big boys come calling. We should also know by now if our coach is not in demand by others, we are probably not going in the direction we want.

As much as I hate the constant concern of losing the coach, that is WAY better than this.
Last edited by RIFan 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My true hope for Cox is that he goes somewhere and becomes an assistant again... I have no doubt he'll be very successful. That seems to be the role he's best suited for. He's a good guy and deserves it. Just not cut out to be a head coach at this level.
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I am not one to willingly jump into confrontation but Cox absolutely is not a POS coach. John Cheney who barges into post-game press conferences threatening to kill other coaches and sends in back of the bench goons to purposely hurt opposing players is a POS coach. Bobby Knight who throws chairs at anyone around is a POS coach. Win/Loss success doesn't determine if someone is a piece of shit; their actions on and off the court do.
Give me John Cheney and Bobby Knight every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
4 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago *** POS coach = "not going dancing consistently"

glad we cleared the air

POS***
POS coach = "not going dancing consistently"

I guess Bob McKillop with 9 NCAA's in 33 years is a POS coach? (2 times in 9 years in the A10)
Bill Coen at Northeastern too?
It took Tom Brennan 19 years to go to an NCAA tourney. He was a POS coach in Burlington, VT all that time, huh?
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

What are we arguing about ?

I want him gone

To not offend you want me to say he is a nice guy but just isn’t capable of leading our beloved rams

Hope that made you feel better

One last thing

COX IS A POS !
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago *** POS coach = "not going dancing consistently"

glad we cleared the air

POS***
POS coach = "not going dancing consistently"

I guess Bob McKillop with 9 NCAA's in 33 years is a POS coach? (2 times in 9 years in the A10)
Bill Coen at Northeastern too?
It took Tom Brennan 19 years to go to an NCAA tourney. He was a POS coach in Burlington, VT all that time, huh?
You really want an answer to this?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago What are we arguing about ?

I want him gone

To not offend you want me to say he is a nice guy but just isn’t capable of leading our beloved rams

Hope that made you feel better

One last thing

COX IS A POS !
One day in the timeout chair. Chill the hell out when you come back. More or less everyone here has the same opinion about the job the coach is doing. Only you have needed to resort to repeatedly the calling the guy a POS (which for the record he is not). And miss me with the cute 3rd grade-ass excuse about how you meant it - I said knock it off and you doubled then tripled down. If you can’t keep it in your pants when you get back I’ll put you on the shelf until next season.
15 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..oh let it go…….we all read, pass over stuff we don’t want to read here, we see the author and just move on by…….it is not like he is wishing officials or other players to have some kind personal tragedy as result of doing their job or missing a shot……🤔
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I've had that dude blocked for like 4 years. Occasionally see the quoted posts, but overall it works out quite well. Some things never change... :roll:
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I am not one to willingly jump into confrontation but Cox absolutely is not a POS coach. John Cheney who barges into post-game press conferences threatening to kill other coaches and sends in back of the bench goons to purposely hurt opposing players is a POS coach. Bobby Knight who throws chairs at anyone around is a POS coach. Win/Loss success doesn't determine if someone is a piece of shit; their actions on and off the court do.
Give me John Cheney and Bobby Knight every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Not saying I wouldn't but that wasn't the argument, though. They are the pieces of shit. Successful POS, but still POS nonetheless.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

So the talk is that Cox was a good assistant and would do well to go back to that role.

Realistically, could he be a head coach at a lower level school or is he now toast as a head coach?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..small private D3 HC operation, maybe part time faculty, where winning is secondary to having fun……..
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago So the talk is that Cox was a good assistant and would do well to go back to that role.

Realistically, could he be a head coach at a lower level school or is he now toast as a head coach?
I think he'd be fine at a school like his alma mater William and Mary where there isn't the same expectations
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago So the talk is that Cox was a good assistant and would do well to go back to that role.

I think he can be a low level D1 head coach maybe Morgan St ??
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't think he has head coach attributes yet.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Wednesday of the A10 Championship....start the rebuild.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If Kimani Young gets a HC job, it wouldn’t shock me to see DC land in Storrs. Would be a great fit.

He’s still a great AHC. Just not the lead guy.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"David Cox never had the makings of a D1 coach."
- Junior Soprano
6 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

He’s produced zero results as a HC. Every year the team and mojo has gotten worse.
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

If Kimani Young gets a HC job, it wouldn’t shock me to see DC land in Storrs. Would be a great fit.

This feels a bit optimistic.. I think he's going to have to move down a rung on the ladder after this
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

This feels a bit optimistic.. I think he's going to have to move down a rung on the ladder after this

Give him the floor mop and he’ll still probably miss the spot where a player fell.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would love to see this happen I’m sure his salary would be great and he can use his recruiting skills to help DH
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……if he has got such great recruiting skills, how come we suck……?….I think as a talent evaluator, and player development, which for me is all part of extended recruiting is way way overrated…..
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Please end this season, we are in the mercy kill stage. Can we start a new contest on how many hours / days Cox lasts after the season ends, 24 hours?
5 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

bwerner10 wrote: 2 years ago Please end this season, we are in the mercy kill stage. Can we start a new contest on how many hours / days Cox lasts after the season ends, 24 hours?
What is your definition of “after the season ends”? After we lose our first conference game or after the A10 Tourney is over?
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I would wait until the end of the season to fire Cox ONLY s if he agrees to pay his own travel expenses.

At least we mitigate on our expenses!
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……if he has got such great recruiting skills, how come we suck……?….I think as a talent evaluator, and player development, which for me is all part of extended recruiting is way way overrated…..
I think you're 100% right. It doesn't matter how good a recruiter of raw talent you are if you can't develop that talent once it's here — or if you don't recruit complementary players who actually fit together in the lineup. I stopped giving him credit for this a while ago.
3 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……if he has got such great recruiting skills, how come we suck……?….I think as a talent evaluator, and player development, which for me is all part of extended recruiting is way way overrated…..
I think you're 100% right. It doesn't matter how good a recruiter of raw talent you are if you can't develop that talent once it's here — or if you don't recruit complementary players who actually fit together in the lineup. I stopped giving him credit for this a while ago.
You also can't underestimate who the Head Coach was when he was having success recruiting. Sure, DC put in all the leg work, but Dan was the closer.
4 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
You also can't underestimate who the Head Coach was when he was having success recruiting. Sure, DC put in all the leg work, but Dan was the closer.
And we also don't know how many ostensibly good players Dan might have vetoed for one reason or another. I'm sure he was more judicious about who he was closing those deals with.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

When was Baron fired? Since Thorr is still the AD, I'd expect the same time frame here.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago When was Baron fired? Since Thorr is still the AD, I'd expect the same time frame here.
March 4, 2012.. The day after the season ended
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bwerner10 wrote: 2 years ago Please end this season, we are in the mercy kill stage. Can we start a new contest on how many hours / days Cox lasts after the season ends, 24 hours?
I've had March 15th for a while now, although I actually think it will be the 14th. I assume Thorr won't want to make the firing during the A10 tournament, so will wait until Monday the 14 to make the announcement. If it hasn't happened by end of business day Tuesday the 15th then we might be in trouble
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago When was Baron fired? Since Thorr is still the AD, I'd expect the same time frame here.
March 4, 2012.. The day after the season ended
A note about that, we actually didn't qualify for the A10 tournament that year, so our season ended Saturday the 3rd, but the A10 tournament didn't start until Tuesday the 6th. I still think Thorr waits until the tournament is done once it starts, but it could happen sooner
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dan and Dave recruited well together. I don’t think Dave’s recruiting abilities should be diminished just because he had Dan to close and he’s struggled as a head coach. Good staffs don’t care about who gets the credit. I think there’s a chance Cox could develop into a decent head coach, and there are programs that can be more patient. This program, in this conference is probably not one of them. I will forever be mystified by the staffs Cox has put together. He’s been in the game a long time. Where are those connections? How have the staffs, in whatever combination, been so ineffectual?

If he’s without a job next year, I’m starting a TJ to Storrs campaign (but not as an assistant yet).
8 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Ace, completing agree with everything! Our staff is terrible. Two young guys thrown to the wolves and asked to compete with seasoned guys on the recruiting trail? Sutton was suppose to be this guy with connections everywhere and all this player development knowledge? The whole Coach Carroll thing was a mess for multiple seasons. Dave did the right thing but it cost him and the program. Bozeman was a good hire but seems frustrated and fried out. You seem to have a connection with Basir? Do you think he is ready? I really like Coach Sha and think he is a home run. Some of the names we are throwing around seem like reaches but worth the checking into. You know this program from Danny's days and you have insight into what it will take to fix. If you were Thor who do you hire? Sorry for putting you on the spot but I'm sending an SOS!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I fully believe that the tenure of David Cox as head coach at URI is in its last weeks. The coach and his team are making it an easy decision for Thorr. URI is currently 4-9 in A-10 play having lost eight of nine. It likely will get even worse as Rhody will have few wins if any in the remaining minimum five games. Team Cox had a similar disastrous close to the previous season going 7-10 in the A-10 after losing seven of its last eight games. His record after Feb 1st the last two years presently stands at 2-11. The epic collapses of the past two seasons makes it very clear that the David Cox experiment was a failure. Add in the constant player departures and plummeting fan interest (which translates into less attendance and revenues) and it makes the Cox era even worse.

If the contract situation is just a year left with only the base of $300,000 being the buyout as is thought, the firing of David Cox MUST occur. This is especially true given URI got some $1.5M from Hurley as a buyout when he left in 2018. Bjorn needs to quickly accept that he made the wrong decision in hiring Cox and things for whatever reason did not work out. He has to promptly move on before things get even more dire. I myself don't fault Thorr for the hire as it seemed logical at the time. But it has become clear that David Cox has been given enough time to prove himself and he has failed with the program in steep decline. He may be a nice guy that gets along well with others and is a good representative off the court. He however is not a person that can excel as a head coach at this level in Kingston. The cord must be cut within days of the last game and URI must move forward. The Rhode Island basketball program is already two years into one of its frequent down cycles with several more down years likely to follow. This repeating pattern at URI is the consequence of the school not being FULLY committed to putting forth a sustained successful men's basketball program. The only course of action left to eventually get back to once again winning is to immediately clean house. Not doing so now only further delays a return to success on the court.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
13 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Indeed, RF. Well said.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I fully believe that the tenure of David Cox as head coach at URI is in its last weeks. The coach and his team are making it an easy decision for Thorr. URI is currently 4-9 in A-10 play having lost eight of nine. It likely will get even worse as Rhody will have few wins if any in the remaining minimum five games. Team Cox had a similar disastrous close to the previous season going 7-10 in the A-10 after losing six of its last seven games. His record after Feb 1st the last two years presently stands at 2-11. The epic collapses of the past two seasons makes it very clear that the David Cox experiment was a failure. Add in the constant player departures and plummeting fan interest (which translates into less attendance and revenues) and it makes the Cox era even worse.

If the contract situation is just a year left with only the base of $300,000 being the buyout, the firing of David Cox MUST occur. This is especially true given URI got some $1.5M from Hurley as a buyout when he left in 2018. Bjorn needs to quickly accept that he made the wrong decision in hiring Cox and things for whatever reason did not work out. He has to quickly move on before things get even worse. I myself don't fault Thorr for the hire as it seemed logical at the time. But it has become clear that David Cox has been given enough time to prove himself and he has failed. He may be a nice guy that gets along well with others and is a good representative off the court. He however is not a person that can excel as a head coach at this level in Kingston. The cord must be cut within days of the last game and URI must move forward. The Rhode Island basketball program is already two years into one of its frequent down cycles with several more years likely to follow. This repeating pattern at URI is the consequence of the school not being FULLY committed to putting forth a sustained successful men's basketball program. The only course of action left to eventually get back to once again winning is to immediately clean house. Not doing so now only further delays a return to success on the court.
Very well said. If Thorr doesn't fire Cox, we all need to stop giving them money.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..memo to Thorr, read the above……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Jon Rothstein calls Hurley “the carpenter.” Does that make Cox “the tsunami?”
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I fully believe that the tenure of David Cox as head coach at URI is in its last weeks. The coach and his team are making it an easy decision for Thorr. URI is currently 4-9 in A-10 play having lost eight of nine. It likely will get even worse as Rhody will have few wins if any in the remaining minimum five games. Team Cox had a similar disastrous close to the previous season going 7-10 in the A-10 after losing six of its last seven games. His record after Feb 1st the last two years presently stands at 2-11. The epic collapses of the past two seasons makes it very clear that the David Cox experiment was a failure. Add in the constant player departures and plummeting fan interest (which translates into less attendance and revenues) and it makes the Cox era even worse.

If the contract situation is just a year left with only the base of $300,000 being the buyout, the firing of David Cox MUST occur. This is especially true given URI got some $1.5M from Hurley as a buyout when he left in 2018. Bjorn needs to quickly accept that he made the wrong decision in hiring Cox and things for whatever reason did not work out. He has to quickly move on before things get even worse. I myself don't fault Thorr for the hire as it seemed logical at the time. But it has become clear that David Cox has been given enough time to prove himself and he has failed. He may be a nice guy that gets along well with others and is a good representative off the court. He however is not a person that can excel as a head coach at this level in Kingston. The cord must be cut within days of the last game and URI must move forward. The Rhode Island basketball program is already two years into one of its frequent down cycles with several more years likely to follow. This repeating pattern at URI is the consequence of the school not being FULLY committed to putting forth a sustained successful men's basketball program. The only course of action left to eventually get back to once again winning is to immediately clean house. Not doing so now only further delays a return to success on the court.
Very well said. If Thorr doesn't fire Cox, we all need to stop giving them money.
My sentiments exactly
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago Jon Rothstein calls Hurley “the carpenter.” Does that make Cox “the tsunami?”
More like the Termite.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Department at URI do not have a bank account where they can carry-over money from year to year. Any money received in past years has already been spent. This is one reason why NCAAT money is not paid out all at once.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Department at URI do not have a bank account where they can carry-over money from year to year. Any money received in past years has already been spent. This is one reason why NCAAT money is not paid out all at once.
The account is called the Foundation dolt.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Department at URI do not have a bank account where they can carry-over money from year to year. Any money received in past years has already been spent. This is one reason why NCAAT money is not paid out all at once.

You really don’t know what you’re talking about. We have The Foundation and quite a small handful of donors who are so extremely wealthy that they want a new coach in that they will pay for it.

Again, the check writers.

The university has bled out and lost out on millions in terms of revenue due to the pandemic. There’s no way the university can afford (literally and figuratively) to have this level of fan disengagement.
4 x