Here's the problem

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Here's the problem

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI is last in the conference in made 3s. The other team gets 5-7 more 3s a game and you lose. The URI bigs are all in the top 15 in the conference in FG %. It's not the Mitchels fault. Cox put together a team that an play D but can't shoot 3s. End of story.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Here's the problem

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy, is he done?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Iggy, is he done?
He has to be
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Yes. Attendance will plummet next year otherwise and Thorr can't ignore that.
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m not sold Thorr has the funds to can him. I have a horrible feeling he will be back…
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago I’m not sold Thorr has the funds to can him. I have a horrible feeling he will be back…
This is reality.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago I’m not sold Thorr has the funds to can him. I have a horrible feeling he will be back…
Zero chance. It’ll cost more in the long run to keep him.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

First post could’ve just said: “the coach” - but the details are helpful
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago URI is last in the conference in made 3s. The other team gets 5-7 more 3s a game and you lose. The URI bigs are all in the top 15 in the conference in FG %. It's not the Mitchels fault. Cox put together a team that an play D but can't shoot 3s. End of story.
Got to shoot the 3. You don’t have to hit them but you got to shoot them.

When the first option off dribble drive is to pass out to 3 point line = Less turnovers

Shooting the 3 results in more offensive rebounding and this team has the bigs who could dominate on the offense boards off 3 point misses.

Playing 2 good back-to-the basket players is like owning 2 fancy VCRs. Just an outdated strategy.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Yes, the game has changed. You will not be successful in college basketball today unless you Want to shoot threes.

Shooting 10-15 a game does not cut it.

It,s more we don’t take many threes than we have terrible three point shooters .
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Yes, the game has changed. You will not be successful in college basketball today unless you Want to shoot threes.

Shooting 10-15 a game does not cut it.

It,s more we don’t take many threes than we have terrible three point shooters .
Agree. And the shooters can’t get into rhythm cause they only take 1 or 2 a game. Transition 3 point attempts would help too. Got nothing to lose. It’s not like we’re scoring in transition now.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago
Zero chance. It’ll cost more in the long run to keep him.
Oh, I agree! The longer he stays the longer until an ncaa tourney and full houses at the Ryan. Unless they can dip into the foundation funds…start getting you business case ready Thorr…make the pitch!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago URI is last in the conference in made 3s. The other team gets 5-7 more 3s a game and you lose. The URI bigs are all in the top 15 in the conference in FG %. It's not the Mitchels fault. Cox put together a team that an play D but can't shoot 3s. End of story.
The Mitchell’s bring the ball up and try to create
like they’re Durant.

They also take multiple 3s and outside shots per game.

Yes, the Mitchell’s are a huge part of the problem.
5 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sheppard, El Ahmin, Walker have the ability to make the 3.

The offense is centered around the twins.

They are allowed to rebound, dribble up court, and do whatever the hell they want, with no repercussions.

Yes, it is a Mitchell twin problem.
3 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 2 years ago
Got to shoot the 3. You don’t have to hit them but you got to shoot them.

When the first option off dribble drive is to pass out to 3 point line = Less turnovers

Shooting the 3 results in more offensive rebounding and this team has the bigs who could dominate on the offense boards off 3 point misses.

Playing 2 good back-to-the basket players is like owning 2 fancy VCRs. Just an outdated strategy.
That is a world-class analogy right there. Bravo!
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

And the techs
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Most teams play with centers now. The big man game has made a come back, but you have to use it correctly. We do not.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree also with the 3s we need to take and make more

Roster construction we need to get the right coach in here and hopefully he constructs a roster we can win with
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We're adding a sport, and we're hiring a head coach for women's lacrosse this summer even though we don't start playing until the spring of 2025. We have the money to buy out Cox
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A team is a reflection of their coach and “best” players. We play undisciplined and uninspired.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think there’s a good 90 % chance Cox is gone after this season , we are a sinking ship
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The problem is that has been the problem for many years.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Failures in recruiting and retention lead to incomplete rosters. Failure to develop players and maximize their abilities in the presence of an incomplete roster leads to the current mess.

Makhi and Makhel are lightning rods for a lot of reasons, but this staff has not yet proven that they can manage a roster and value roster spots, a concern I have had since literally year one.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
like they’re Durant.

Yes the Mitchell's are part of the problem, but only because the coach lets it be a problem. Any serious coach would be attempting to clear up these issues by actually coaching them and disciplining them if needed. Any serious Coach would also realize that these young men have talent but need to be coached for their benefit to be better not to be pacified just so they are happy. Also I would guess that most of the teammates, even if they love the Twins , see what's going on with the way they're handled and it contributes to poor attitudes and lack of effort. Teammates see these things even if they don't outwardly say anything
3 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I would think there’s a good 90 % chance Cox is gone after this season , we are a sinking ship
I think 90% chance feels accurate to me ... but that other 10% keeps me up at night.
2 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Pace of play is also an issue. We play too slow. I don't have the stats to back this up in front of me but it seems we get very few possessions compared to other teams. Add the high turnovers and lack of 3 point shooting and you have a bad formula to win offensively. I guess our strength is our half court defense but we don't turnover our opponents enough to generate easy opportunities. With good rim protection on the back end we should be pressuring other teams more full court and trying to speed things up. Running this scripted half court offensive system with players who don't fit is really bad. Another flop with Coach Cox.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It's bigger than any one player, or the twins.

Only "special" players are valued by Cox, and they seemed to be coddled ahead of all else. So what happens? Players that can help you down the road with proper coaching and development leave the program. Of course, since there is no player development in the first place, why would they stay? It is amazing to me that during these last two years of total failure, there are players sitting on the bench that apparently cannot help the team. How is that even possible, as badly as we have played?

All hope is gone. The men's program has bottomed out. Why would anyone pay to watch this team next year as currently constructed? I won't be.
1 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Thorr has about 3 weeks to make a decision. Fire him or extend him. Waiting will only kill any type of recruiting. U can’t recruit in your last year of a contract.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Thorr has about 3 weeks to make a decision. Fire him or extend him. Waiting will only kill any type of recruiting. U can’t recruit in your last year of a contract.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
like they’re Durant.

Yes the Mitchell's are part of the problem, but only because the coach lets it be a problem. Any serious coach would be attempting to clear up these issues by actually coaching them and disciplining them if needed. Any serious Coach would also realize that these young men have talent but need to be coached for their benefit to be better not to be pacified just so they are happy. Also I would guess that most of the teammates, even if they love the Twins , see what's going on with the way they're handled and it contributes to poor attitudes and lack of effort. Teammates see these things even if they don't outwardly say anything
Some of it seems basic though. Like, I can’t recall many examples at any level of basketball where a guy gets a tech and doesn’t get pulled. I can remember multiple times the twins have gotten a tech and have stayed in the game. That’s almost unheard of even if it’s performative it’s like coaching 101 to sit the offending party.
3 x