Mitchell Twins

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: Mitchell Twins

Unread post by PeteRI »

Ramster, must you include 17 paragraphs of irrelevant statistics in every post?
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Ramster, must you include 17 paragraphs of irrelevant statistics in every post?
Just ignore me.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

You cannot play two 7 footers at the same time in modern basketball. They clog up the lane and make it nearly impossible for anyone on the team to drive to the basket. They cause terrible spacing on the floor.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last game vs Dayton the Mitchell’s were in the game together less than 15 of the 40 minutes. Our worst + - was when only 1 played at a time. We got hurt defensively when only 1 was in. Dayton was too tall, too strong.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago You cannot play two 7 footers at the same time in modern basketball. They clog up the lane and make it nearly impossible for anyone on the team to drive to the basket. They cause terrible spacing on the floor.
I mean that was a pretty rare phenomenon even in "olden times"...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Ramster, must you include 17 paragraphs of irrelevant statistics in every post?
Ramster shouldn't let facts refute your opinion. Totally unfair!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago The Twins are at times very frustrating but we are not losing because of them. We are losing because our guard and wing play is terrible. The A-10 is a guard/wing heavy league. This is just my opinion but our lack of being able to break people down and create for others and have guards who can make shots is the real problem. They would be so much better if they were receiving lobs and dump offs as oppose to having to create for themselves all the time. This exposes some of the holes in their offensive game. Sheppard loses his effectiveness as a shot maker and floor spacer because he has the ball to much. Leggett is just to slow/lacks any explosiveness and Ish El Amin you fill in the blank? Martin has no offensive game. Thomas works his ass off and is a good passer but struggles shooting and physically gets bullied. Jalen Carey has shown the most growth during the season and gives us what the others can't do. His shot selection is questionable but he at least attempts to put people on their back foot.

I hope the twins stay along with most of this roster. Add a true point guard(grad or transfer with game experience) and another wing/shooter. Allen Betrand could answer our problem at the wing? Hopefully the next staff can recruit 4 year talent again and not the NEC/American East/MAAC stuff that the current staff has brought in.
Yes!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago You cannot play two 7 footers at the same time in modern basketball. They clog up the lane and make it nearly impossible for anyone on the team to drive to the basket. They cause terrible spacing on the floor.
……ya mean the twin towers Hubie Brown had to contend with the Knicks……
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
……ya mean the twin towers Hubie Brown had to content with the Knicks……
Trying to think of a D1 college program lately that has put two (close to) 7 footers on the floor at once...essentially playing two 5s...anyone? I'm sure there are a few examples, but it's rare.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..when it rains, it pours…….too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Ramster shouldn't let facts refute your opinion. Totally unfair!
Antwan Walker is number 1 on the team in BPM on the season. Focusing on one game is ridiculous. Also, if you gave Walker Makhis role, I think he’d make a better impact.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I guess if you want to call the twins "5"s, there probably not many schools playing two "centers" at the same time.

However, it is not hard, to call either of them a "4', and there are plenty of teams that play 6'9" and a 6"10 players at the same time.

Even a team like Davidson plays two bigs often at the same time- Luka Brakovich and Sam M.

All that being said, the reality is, for most of the game, the twins are not on the floor at the same time.

It is easy to blame the twins; but, our problems start with the coaching staff and the fact that we do not have a small forward or big guard (maybe Carey now) and we have no quality point gurad.

That puts the MItchell's pretty far down the list of what is lacking with this team.
1 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

I REMEMBER THAT IN THE 60'S PC PLAYED TWO BIGS;JIM HADNOT AND JOHN THOMPSON . IT DIDN'T WORK THEN
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago I REMEMBER THAT IN THE 60'S PC PLAYED TWO BIGS;JIM HADNOT AND JOHN THOMPSON . IT DIDN'T WORK THEN
Pembrook Burrows 7’0” and Artis Gilmore 7’2”
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So I'll simplify for you:

Technical Fouls.
  • Big bitch has been about the Mitchell's and their Technical Fouls for the Mitchell twins and Cox can't control that. In the last 8 games the Mitchells have a combined 1 Tech. That was Makhel vs VCU and it was a double Technical Foul with both guys getting T'd up. Gee maybe Cox and the Mitchell's fixed it? But that would mean saying Cox did something right. That is not allowed.

Some have been wanting Makhi out of the starting line up. In Makhi's last 4 games vs UMASS, @VCU, Davidson and Dayton:
  • 3 double-doubles
  • 10.5 rebounds per game with 3.5 on the offensive boards
  • 11.8 ppg
  • 28.5 minutes per game

URI is losing of late but Makhi continues to improve his game even against the Top 3 teams Davidson, VCU, Dayton in the Conference.
URI has 2 home games left. Could be your last 2 chances to see in person Makhi play for URI. Never know these days.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago I guess if you want to call the twins "5"s, there probably not many schools playing two "centers" at the same time.

However, it is not hard, to call either of them a "4', and there are plenty of teams that play 6'9" and a 6"10 players at the same time.

Even a team like Davidson plays two bigs often at the same time- Luka Brakovich and Sam M.

All that being said, the reality is, for most of the game, the twins are not on the floor at the same time.

It is easy to blame the twins; but, our problems start with the coaching staff and the fact that we do not have a small forward or big guard (maybe Carey now) and we have no quality point gurad.

That puts the MItchell's pretty far down the list of what is lacking with this team.
They don't really play like 4s though.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

……ya mean the twin towers Hubie Brown had to content with the Knicks……
Trying to think of a D1 college program lately that has put two (close to) 7 footers on the floor at once...essentially playing two 5s...anyone? I'm sure there are a few examples, but it's rare.
I believe the University of Arizona is doing it now. I could be wrong. I believe that Michigan is too.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

ramster ,2 bigs must have worked at jacksonville; they lost to ucla in the 1970 finals
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

kal-65 wrote: 2 years ago ramster ,2 bigs must have worked at jacksonville; they lost to ucla in the 1970 finals
Burrows and Gilmore went up against 6’9” Steve Patterson, 6’8” Sidney Wicks and 6’7” Curtis Rowe vs UCLA in the Championship game.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Duke had two 6-10 guys playing at the same time against us in the NCAA in 2018. That seemed to work OK.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Look no further than UCONN and Dan Hurley

6'9" - Adama Sanogo - 240#
6'9" - Isaiah Whaley - 225#
6'6" - Tyrese Martin - 215#
6'6" - Andre Jackson - 205#
6'1" - R.J Cole - 185#

6'10" - Makhel Mitchell - 245#
6'9" - Makhi Mitchell - 230#
6''3" - Ishmael El-Amin - 180#
6'2" - Ishmael Leggett - 180#
6'1" - Jeremy Sheppard - 165#

But we can’t play a 6’9” and a 6’10” but UCONN can play a 6’9” and 6’9 “ plus UCONN’s 1st big off bench Polley is also 6’9”

And why should Walker only be argued to replace Makhi? Why can’t Walker 6’7” be in place of El-Amin or Leggett? Tyrese Martin and Andre Jackson are both 6’6”.

Are we afraid of being too tall?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Twins would work if we used them properly and most importantly if the guards could actually pose any threat other than Sheppard sometimes being good.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't really think there's a hard-and-fast rule when it comes to playing guys and height. It's ultimately shades of grey, and revolves around a couple of different questions:

- Is the player agile enough to provide decent defense against a guard on a pick and roll or a defensive breakdown?
- Can the player stretch the floor, or are they only effective in the low post?
- Can the player attack the basket?

I think the Mitchells and Walker all fit those bills in various degrees. We're not talking about stiff, back to the basket players who can't play anywhere but 5-feet from the rim, a la Baron Ball. And as PeterRamTime brings up again - It's the guards that have been average to well below average on this team. We kind of keep crapping on our front court players for "just" being above-average (instead of superstars), instead of acknowledging that the guard rotation is the far bigger problem, without an obvious "fix" this year or next.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The problem is the twins want all points. All stats. They are not team players. The Chief would give them a few pointers.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody 6-0 run to start 2h
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Sick technical
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

They’re soooo goood. Barf
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Most unlikeable Rhody players since….????
3 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

and a GD tech over tucking a shirt in...c'mon Mitchell!
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

End this misery Thorr
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Most unlikeable Rhody players since….????
Mike Powell
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Eric Leslie
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

neil wrote: 2 years agoEric Leslie
Neil for the win. That is who I was going to say
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

If it really was a tech for not tucking your shirt in, any decent coach would have yanked him for the rest of the game or more. I hope some reporter has the balls on the post game to ask Cox why Mitchell remained in the game.
On another topic, I have gone to 52 straight senior nights, but that streak will end this year. Do you hear me Thorr? Your most loyal fan won’t be there. In the 80’s, I used to sign my posts”have not and will not quit that ram fan” If you want me to start another streak next year, do something now!
13 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

neil wrote: 2 years ago If it really was a tech for not tucking your shirt in, any decent coach would have yanked him for the rest of the game or more. I hope some reporter has the balls on the post game to ask Cox why Mitchell remained in the game.
On another topic, I have gone to 52 straight senior nights, but that streak will end this year. Do you hear me Thorr? Your most loyal fan won’t be there. In the 80’s, I used to sign my posts”have not and will not quit that ram fan” If you want me to start another streak next year, do something now!
I am not being sarcastic.

This is the most damning criticism of this program in 20 years.

If you’ve lost probably the most decent, even-keeled, steady, and loyal supporter in this fan base - the program is dead.

Dear God get us an impact coach. It’s going to take a miracle to get this team back.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Most unlikeable Rhody players since….????
Mike Powell
Is it weird to say I think he may have been better for his team?

(I may be bias since he was in school when I was but you get the point.)
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

neil wrote: 2 years ago If it really was a tech for not tucking your shirt in, any decent coach would have yanked him for the rest of the game or more. I hope some reporter has the balls on the post game to ask Cox why Mitchell remained in the game.

If you’ve lost probably the most decent, even-keeled, steady, and loyal supporter in this fan base - the program is dead.

Dear God get us an impact coach. It’s going to take a miracle to get this team back.
…deep down we all know somehow, someway Cox is gonna be here next year right?

I weirdly have a feeling, and I doubt I’m the only one.
0 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

…deep down we all know somehow, someway Cox is gonna be here next year right?

I weirdly have a feeling, and I doubt I’m the only one.
You're not the only one. I really fear that Thorr will not pull the trigger. Can you imagine another year of this misery?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

There’s a lot of pressure on Thor for DC to be done. No way he’s here next year.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

From who?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago There’s a lot of pressure on Thor for DC to be done. No way he’s here next year.
I can’t see a reason that DC returns , really nice guy but not head coaching material
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think Cox would be back if we had an ok season. But this is absolutely embarrassing. We will have a new head coach next year.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years agoFrom who?

People who write checks
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This team is making Neil miss senior night and made Obadiah stop his games to watch posting. Kinda says it all about the state of the program right there
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Higher ups in the University not related to athletics
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Look no further than UCONN and Dan Hurley

6'9" - Adama Sanogo - 240#
6'9" - Isaiah Whaley - 225#
6'6" - Tyrese Martin - 215#
6'6" - Andre Jackson - 205#
6'1" - R.J Cole - 185#

6'10" - Makhel Mitchell - 245#
6'9" - Makhi Mitchell - 230#
6''3" - Ishmael El-Amin - 180#
6'2" - Ishmael Leggett - 180#
6'1" - Jeremy Sheppard - 165#

But we can’t play a 6’9” and a 6’10” but UCONN can play a 6’9” and 6’9 “ plus UCONN’s 1st big off bench Polley is also 6’9”

And why should Walker only be argued to replace Makhi? Why can’t Walker 6’7” be in place of El-Amin or Leggett? Tyrese Martin and Andre Jackson are both 6’6”.

Are we afraid of being too tall?
It has literally nothing to do with their size. It’s that they play the exact same game. They have the exact same skill set.

Sanogo is a back to the basket big. Whaley is a Dennis Rodman type junkyard dog who they don’t call plays for. Polley is strictly a 3 point catch and shoot marksmen. Their games are all different and how they fit in an offense is different. Our two guys are literal twins- they want to occupy the same space and have very very similar skill sets. It doesn’t work.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

People who write checks
Ooh la la

Talk dirty to me Taylor 😘
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Agree with BAR regarding the fact they have the same skill set. Would add it's difficult to compare them to other teams that play two bigs because other teams have better guard and wing play. Because our guard play is so poor the lane gets clogged with our two bigs and as many defenders as the other team wants to throw in there. On the defensive end, neither of them can guard outside the post. They both wait for the ball to come to them so they get a lot of blocks. But they can't cover wings. Ever notice how many wide open looks we give up from 3? Even if it's not coming from one of the shooters a Mitchell is guarding, any decent passing team is able to find an open look.

Both of these kids have talent. Will it ever be maximized? Maybe, but I doubt it happens here. And definitely not under Cox. And not likely if they are on the team or on the floor at the same time.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Anyone have the number of techs they have on the year?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
This team is making Neil miss senior night and made Obadiah stop his games to watch posting. Kinda says it all about the state of the program right there
Wow statement made by Neil , there better be a change coming soon we need our loyal fans back !!
4 x