Podcast with Marc Parlange New URI President

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Podcast with Marc Parlange New URI President

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys, Just seeking your feedback on the type of questions that I should ask new URI president Marc Parlange for my next podcast.

I think this guest is in Keaney Blue’s wheelhouse
since every time we are going through a presidential search committee, there is a level of trepidation because a president without a coziness to URI sports and hoops can have a negative impact on the program i.e. New president of Hartford moved the program to Division 3.

So I am quite eager to collectively get your take on what type of questions I should broach.

As always I never miss a thread and we are all extremely fortunate to have such a high level forum.

Cheers Scott Brand
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Podcast with Marc Parlange New URI President

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would ask him if he shares Thorr's stated expectations for the MBB program, and is it realistically doable for a financially challenged school like URI?

If he's not committed to funding and maintaining a strong program, then it's bad news.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This isn't a question that you could ask him now, but it would be interesting to know if he would involve himself in a new MBB coach search with Thorr, like Dooley did when they were chasing Hurley.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just ask him how many MBB games he's been to since he got here. The answer will tell a lot.
2 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

What were your impressions of previous presidents in how they treated the basketball team. Starting with Edward Eddy.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….he was at the pregame in Providence, put on the Alum Association……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,

Congratulations on landing an interview with out new President. Great job.

Possible Questions:
  • Impressions on all of URI's Athletic Facilities including: Meade Field, Ryan Center, Soccer, Baseball and Softball fields, Swimming Pools, Boss Arena
  • Thoughts on the new upcoming Practice Facility for MBB and WBB?
  • Have you been able to ride the new Bike Path extension from URI to Wakefield and as far as Narragansett yet? If so what were your impressions from your first ride? Any ideas on how this beautiful bike path can be leveraged for URI students and faculty in the future? Can the URI campus become more bicycle friendly with more bicycles in circulation - fewer cars and buses?
  • How do you feel about the improvements to Upper College Road (the road in front of your new home?)
  • Any initial thoughts and possible ideas for improving and possibly redesigning the Emporium shopping area?
  • What do you think of the new Engineering Complex?
  • How do you see URI in the future in regard to Research Grants and work in this arena?
I don't expect you to ask all of these questions, just trying to provide you with some options as you requested.

Look forward to another great interview from you. Thanks.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Could URI maybe put together some sort of class or seminar to teach people how to clean up after their dogs on the bike path?

This would be of benefit both to URI (they have a spur off the Wm O' Neill bike path), as well as the surrounding community that uses both paths. While it might be a complex, multi-session course, it could center around the idea that if your dog drops a deuce on the path...and you pick it up and put it in a plastic bag...and then just leave that plastic bag on the bike path....you are not helping. Part of it could also be, if your dog does it on the path, and you don't have a bag...the seminar could go over how to make a stick (you're in the woods) and knock it off the path.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Question suggestion; Are there any plans still on the board for a campus for a hotel?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Could URI maybe put together some sort of class or seminar to teach people how to clean up after their dogs on the bike path?

This would be of benefit both to URI (they have a spur off the Wm O' Neill bike path), as well as the surrounding community that uses both paths. While it might be a complex, multi-session course, it could center around the idea that if your dog drops a deuce on the path...and you pick it up and put it in a plastic bag...and then just leave that plastic bag on the bike path....you are not helping. Part of it could also be, if your dog does it on the path, and you don't have a bag...the seminar could go over how to make a stick (you're in the woods) and knock it off the path.
I’ve never understood the bagging of poop 💩 and leaving it. Wouldn’t it be better to just leave it? The plastic takes forever to decompose and keeps the poop fresh longer. But I see it in bike and walking paths all the time. Not just URI to Wakefield.
I can see coming back to get it because if no trash cans and picking up the bag on the way back on the path but that doesn’t seem what happens - they just sit there until some kind soul or city worker picks up someone else’s bagged poop. Maybe it’s not dog poop but human? Arrrggghhh.

Maybe could be a URI Zoom Call and/or Webinar on Bike Path 💩 💩 manners? What did they do different in Australia?
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last year the Rhode Island Public Expenditure Council (RIPEC) issued a report, "How Rhode Island Compares" analyzing state and local expenditures and revenue as it contrasted with other New England states and also nationally. Since the State's revenue and expenditure pattern is the result of policies, then how RI diverges from other states should be understood, noted and explained by the policymakers.

The following is their summary regarding the State's educational expenditures and I would like, President Parlange, your reaction to it.

Education expenditures make up the largest portion of Rhode Island’s total expenditures (27.2 percent). Like the New England region generally, Rhode Island overspends compared to the U.S. on K-12 education (13.1 percent higher on a per capita basis) but underspends on higher education (29.9 percent lower on a per capita basis). Despite investing more on K-12 than the national average, Ocean State student proficiency test scores are on par with or below the nation overall, with particularly poor outcomes for students in urban schools, raising a serious question as to the state’s return on its investment. Rhode Island’s relative under investment in higher education also raises concerns, since economic development and growth are tied closely with education levels.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I would like to know about the future development of the north side of campus. Years ago it had been said that the land on the north side of Flagg was going to become some sort of a biotech park. I haven’t heard anything else on it since I was an undergrad.

Another poster said this and I will echo it, the Emporium. I understand it’s not university property, but it definitely needs a facelift. I know RI Guys Donuts is doing well over there, which is great, the owners are good people.

I also think they need to do a feasibility study on attracting more on-campus housing. It’s not appealing to live on campus as an upperclassman, and it’s desirable to be in Gansett. Which is fine but for 25+ years the university has been accepting way more students than can be accommodated. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but “thinking big”, “green”, “carbon footprint”, it would make sense to have more on campus housing.

Parking? Lol
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Keep them coming. You guys are great.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As I mentioned earlier, and Taylor Swift expanded upon, the Emporium needs a facelift. Providence Bagel did a very nice job of painting and repair last year, CVS is good, but most of these places are in dire need of paint, siding repair, roof repair, awning cleaning, fences are old and in need of repair. How is it that the landlord of this complex can let the place go downhill like that connected to a University Campus? It seems there should have been some agreement with the University to keep this Real Estate updated. This Real Estate has excellent potential being so nearby the Campus.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

On the plus side, Great year for the URI Football Team. The New Football Field and the Lights have been a welcome addition. The field is used by the Football Team and other URI Teams during the day and at night during the summer. The Lights have been great. Recruiting has picked up for the last several years and it shows. That said, what can you do to help get our Football Seating to a more competitive level to similar FCS Programs? The East Stands need help. The upper rows are now blocked off as of this season from seating to limit capacity. Would be nice to have a future plan developed.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

One thing I’m glad about is the overall investment that’s been taken the last 20 years between the RC and the new buildings for the sciences/pharm/engineering. Definitely catapults URI way above other state universities in the region.

Upper College Rd looks fantastic.

I haven’t checked the tax accessor database on it recently, but last I checked the Emporium is owned by some LLC out of Boston? Basically take your rent and sit back kinda deal. It would be great if it had some kind of vibe where there was less parking there, updated store fronts, kind of like a town square kind of vibe.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Upper College does look great. Drove thru there yesterday for the first time with no construction... very nice.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hi Everyone. My podcast with President Parlange is tomorrow. Other than the status of the practice facility, coaches pool, and more chartered flights is there anything else that is needed in the program. I would be more than willing to ask him. I guess wifi in the arena, selling beer at the games and a Jumbotron to see replays are some things that I remember hearing this board mention. Thanks.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I think a fair question is will there ever be a division one hockey team? I took my daughter to the game last Saturday and when I walked her by the arena I told her they built the arena but there’s no actual team that plays in it at least to a competitive level that I think we all want. It just seems so silly.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Absolutely ask about replays and the WiFi situation. Cellular repeater? I'm sure it's "passable" WiFi if you're faculty and already on the URI network, but it's absolutely terrible if you aren't.

Very curious about his standards for our program, and athletics in general. Coming from schools outside of the US - how does he view collegiate athletics in general?

Does he feel URI the institution properly supports URI athletics?

How does he feel about Meade stadium's condition?

What does he view the #1 infrastructure improvement need for next year, and then for the next 5 years?

Presidents Carothers and Dooley were visible and involved in the hiring/extending/firing of previous coaches for Men's BBall - where does he see himself fitting into this equation.

----

For your reference, this was a great piece on Father Shanley who left PC for St Johns last year, but talked about the importance of facilities in college basketball, how it can impact the school at large, what he accomplished at PC, and what he hopes to accomplish at St John's.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/09/st-johns- ... acilities/
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago I think a fair question is will there ever be a division one hockey team? I took my daughter to the game last Saturday and when I walked her by the arena I told her they built the arena but there’s no actual team that plays in it at least to a competitive level that I think we all want. It just seems so silly.
$3M per year before scholarship implications if memory serves me right.

If a donor wants to step up to prop that team up? They'd do it in a heartbeat.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,
Again thanks for doing these podcasts and for asking us at KB for our input.

Couple more from me:

1.) As the Practice Facility is being designed and is approved per the update Thorr provided in answering questions at the pregame Event in Ft Myers for the FGSU game, why not provide an update to MBB and WBB ticket holders and fans so they know what’s going on? They can look forward to this nice addition. Coaches can also leverage the new practice Facility in their recruiting sales pitches. Seems a good idea to keep the public informed and excited. Marketing and public relations seems an opportunity for improvement in Athletics. Short, Medium and Long term plans for all Athletic Facilities would be nice to know upfront instead of what seems to be word of mouth and the rumor mill.

2. Any other possible sport additions for URI in the future such as the Lacrosse announcement?

3. Baseball and Soccer tend to be strong performing programs at URI. Can you please keep them on your radar for future facility investments?

4. Softball is another sport at URI that could use additional support. Coaches seem to do the best they can but imagine what they could do with better facilities? The girls Softball Field could have a complex with lights to draw tournaments, allow high schools to play. Current Softball facility literally feels out to pasture. Some high schools and small colleges have beautiful, centrally located Softball fields. Ours being so remote few fans are attracted to games. Become the supreme Women's college softball program in New England.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What day will Coach Cox get fired...
3 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Get to know #gorhody president @MarcParlange on my URI Just Getting Started Hoops Podcast at youtu.be/0H3rkeQQ0W0 @rhodymbb and @rhodywbb are in great hands with the new president at the top spot and @thorrbjorn leading the charge.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Nice work. Lots of interesting information about our President. Thank you.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Interesting when the subject about the Jumbotron was brought up President Parlange started talking about a jumbotron for football. I know there was talk about there being one added this offseason on this forum as if it was a done deal, but I haven't heard anything from the University until this
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting when the subject about the Jumbotron was brought up President Parlange started talking about a jumbotron for football. I know there was talk about there being one added this offseason on this forum as if it was a done deal, but I haven't heard anything from the University until this
Sick - so we'll potentially have 2 jumbotrons without replay? Can't wait to stare at crisp, clean ADVERTISEMENTS!!
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

He is a great guy and there was a part of the interview where he praised Bill Koch’s article on how URI should do everything to keep Tammi Reiss.
3 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Scott, I can't thank you enough for these! So informative and enjoyable! Be well!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Interesting when the subject about the Jumbotron was brought up President Parlange started talking about a jumbotron for football. I know there was talk about there being one added this offseason on this forum as if it was a done deal, but I haven't heard anything from the University until this
Sick - so we'll potentially have 2 jumbotrons without replay? Can't wait to stare at crisp, clean ADVERTISEMENTS!!
A poster recently mentioned that the Replay for Basketball is frowned upon by the A10 Office. Another poster said that the capability for Replay was already in the system - just someone needed to be taught how to use it. For such a long period of time as this Replay Subject has been brought up on KB it would be nice if someone in the Athletic Department would clarify this. Would be nice to be able to submit questions and get answers.

For Football it would be up to the CAA. And we would need a good scoreboard capable of this.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
A poster recently mentioned that the Replay for Basketball is frowned upon by the A10 Office. Another poster said that the capability for Replay was already in the system - just someone needed to be taught how to use it. For such a long period of time as this Replay Subject has been brought up on KB it would be nice if someone in the Athletic Department would clarify this. Would be nice to be able to submit questions and get answers.

For Football it would be up to the CAA. And we would need a good scoreboard capable of this.
I mean, has anyone been to a road game at another A10 arena that has a video board? If so, did they have replays?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

I mean, has anyone been to a road game at another A10 arena that has a video board? If so, did they have replays?
I went to game at Mason and I believe they had replays.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Richmond and VCU do.

Does anyone actually know why? We've complained about it forever.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,'

Excellent interview with Marc Parlange.

Last I'd heard from Thorr in Ft Myers, FGCU Pregame Event, was that we were $700K short. Thorr mentioned that Dr Parlange had approved moving forward with the Project and that they would work on the remaining Fundraising gap. So since then it's moved down to $400K since November.

He mentioned that accommodations were being made for the Volleyball to be able to use the new Practice Facility as well.
I had wondered about the Softball Team as they use the Tootell West often for practice in the preseason. Someone told me that they were now scheduling and planning more use of Keaney Gym for more teams so maybe Softball could go there. Makes sense now hearing that Volleyball will be able to utilize the new facility too whereas now they are primarily in Keaney Gym. Intramurals also uses Tootell West some nights to they will likely more more to Mackal. Very exciting that the Practice Facility is in the design phase and will then be put out to bid. A new $7.9MM Practice Facility is a nice story for the MBB and WBB Coaches to have in their recruiting bag.

Thorr also mentioned in Ft Myers that he and Dr Parlange worked out in the morning 3 times per week so since Nov 23 FGCU game its been 3 months now and great to hear that the workouts have continued. They workouts sound productive as they are meeting athletes/coaches/trainers from all teams and they get to discuss some business during workouts.

He spoke highly of the WBB and the MBB teams. He had excellent observations of the URI - Dayton game. Sounds like he understands the game well.

He liked the performance of the Football Team this season. Proud of their results and effort at Towson. He brought up the Jumbotron subject for Football. Sounds encouraging for the Football Team. He loves rugby and is helping to make Thorr a rugby fan.

Very impressive. Excited to have Dr Marc Parlange as our new URI President.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Richmond and VCU do.

Is anyone still a member over at the Atlantic 10 message board? It seems like something that could be cleared up somewhat quick with a post over there. It strikes me more as a bit of urban legend or gossip to explain the situation.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Richmond and VCU do.

Is anyone still a member over at the Atlantic 10 message board? It seems like something that could be cleared up somewhat quick with a post over there. It strikes me more as a bit of urban legend or gossip to explain the situation.
Or deflection. The issue is we for some reason can't figure out how to get replays done but it's easier to blame the conference than take the blame ourselves
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Absolutely ask about replays and the WiFi situation. Cellular repeater? I'm sure it's "passable" WiFi if you're faculty and already on the URI network, but it's absolutely terrible if you aren't.

Very curious about his standards for our program, and athletics in general. Coming from schools outside of the US - how does he view collegiate athletics in general?

Does he feel URI the institution properly supports URI athletics?

How does he feel about Meade stadium's condition?

What does he view the #1 infrastructure improvement need for next year, and then for the next 5 years?

Presidents Carothers and Dooley were visible and involved in the hiring/extending/firing of previous coaches for Men's BBall - where does he see himself fitting into this equation.

----

For your reference, this was a great piece on Father Shanley who left PC for St Johns last year, but talked about the importance of facilities in college basketball, how it can impact the school at large, what he accomplished at PC, and what he hopes to accomplish at St John's.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/09/st-johns- ... acilities/

Father Shanley is an absolutely phenomenal human being.

A few years ago someone I know who had a younger sibling who was a senior at the time get me on the URI Secure. One small fragment of a season I actually had working Wifi in the arena. I was able to Tweet for one of the contests.

I know our new president is a RI native bud due to the amount of time he’s been overseas, I am wondering how much he knows about how passionate people are here about having a great athletic program. URI has succeeded for years in a lot of sports. Want to keep that momentum going.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not really a great place to put the following article from the Journal, which was a sit down interview with President Parlange:

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 924831001/

This was a pretty open answer when asked about URI's weaknesses:

"But some of our infrastructure is atrocious. We have temporary buildings, some of which are 60 years old. At the Narragansett Bay campus, a strong area of research, some buildings are leaking. We are limited in our ability to compete for federal grants because the infrastructure is in terrible shape.

“Our student health center is a collection of portable buildings. I’m embarrassed that our students don’t have a modern health center. We have a fantastic, expanding life sciences center but we have to squeeze three or four faculty into the same space.

“I’m pushing to rehabilitate the bay campus. I’m making the case to build a new life sciences building and a new student health center.”

URI is asking for a $157.5-million bond for the bay campus and $63.2 million for the life sciences building.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The Bay Campus is a very interesting case. I was an Ocean Engineering student from 2010 to 2014. The Ocean Engineering department at URI is part of the College of Engineering but all the Ocean Engineering faculty, labs, classes, etc are at the Bay Campus, sequestered off in the back of the campus off Pier Road. The two building OE has are MIddleton and Sheets, which are both metal warehouses that were retrofitted to be classrooms, offices, and labs. They have like no HVAC systems, they leak terribly, they are atrocious. In spite of this, the OE department as a whole is pretty top notch, they have good faculty and bring in a lot of money in research grants.

But the buildings are owned by the Graduate School of Oceanography and leased to the OE department. So supposedly when GSO got a bunch of money to rehab their facilities they told OE they would not rehab those buildings unless they were taking them back over from the OE department.

The dynamics between the different schools and facilities is fascinating.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow, Surf. That’s terrible school on school crime. URI hurting itself.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago The Bay Campus is a very interesting case. I was an Ocean Engineering student from 2010 to 2014. The Ocean Engineering department at URI is part of the College of Engineering but all the Ocean Engineering faculty, labs, classes, etc are at the Bay Campus, sequestered off in the back of the campus off Pier Road. The two building OE has are MIddleton and Sheets, which are both metal warehouses that were retrofitted to be classrooms, offices, and labs. They have like no HVAC systems, they leak terribly, they are atrocious. In spite of this, the OE department as a whole is pretty top notch, they have good faculty and bring in a lot of money in research grants.

But the buildings are owned by the Graduate School of Oceanography and leased to the OE department. So supposedly when GSO got a bunch of money to rehab their facilities they told OE they would not rehab those buildings unless they were taking them back over from the OE department.

The dynamics between the different schools and facilities is fascinating.
Dr. Parlange came to West Palm Beach for a meet-and-greet a few weeks ago. His presentation included discussion of the "blue economy" and how URI is positioned to be a global leader in same, starting with our new research vessel, but the buildings at the Bay Campus are holding us back.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.