Marketing & Fan Engagement Failures

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Marketing & Fan Engagement Failures

Unread post by SGreenwell »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Fair - but PC's fanbase is about 20 years younger on average than ours, and the people that sit near the court are boozed up and loud.

We need the students to make up for what most of our fanbase lacks.

The media on twitter (Fanta, Goodman, Norlander, Barstool college basketball account, and others) are acting like The Dunk is the first arena to ever hold a big game with a sold out, loud student section, with Fanta saying it's currently the best environment in the COUNTRY.

Talk about getting caught up in the moment. Time to pump the brakes a bit I'd say.
I totally disagree with this statement. Look at the size of the student body at Pee CEE compared to URI...there wasn't a seat in the student section, and they got there about 2 1/2 hours before the game began to get good seats. The announcer is LOUD, the music is LOUD. We have a liberal talk radio host, trying to sound exciting with his articulation...Our PA system is so bad, I can hardly make out what anyone is saying...and no replays, just advertisements.

The students and fans at the Dunk are so loud that your head rattles. They actually watch the game and respond positively or negatively to plays. Our students are looking down on their phones, disinterested. JV has the toughest job!

Even in our Hurley heyday I do not ever recall that electric of an atmosphere, to that degree. I have seen Big East games at Madison Square that wouldn't come close to the Dunk last night. Even Nova commented about the atmosphere.
PC is ranked #8 right now, so I'm not sure if there has ever been an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to URI basketball, unless you want to go back to the Frank Keaney days. Even the Hurley years, our AP rank peaked at #16. The best way to improve fan support is with long-term, sustained winning, which we frankly haven't done. We've been a peaks-and-valleys program for about three decades now. There's less pressure to maintain things like a season ticket if you know there will often be single game tickets available.

That being said, from this topic, I still think it's clear that the marketing and promotion can be improved at the Ryan Center. Yeah, it's hard to sell people on the men's team right now, but I still think that the women's team attendance is lagging, given how that team is excelling and their current winning streak. Hell, at least in Texas, it's Girl Scout cookie time. Give some of the local troops a bunch of free tickets, at least try to paper half the building with younger people who could become future fans.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

The media on twitter (Fanta, Goodman, Norlander, Barstool college basketball account, and others) are acting like The Dunk is the first arena to ever hold a big game with a sold out, loud student section, with Fanta saying it's currently the best environment in the COUNTRY.

Talk about getting caught up in the moment. Time to pump the brakes a bit I'd say.
I totally disagree with this statement. Look at the size of the student body at Pee CEE compared to URI...there wasn't a seat in the student section, and they got there about 2 1/2 hours before the game began to get good seats. The announcer is LOUD, the music is LOUD. We have a liberal talk radio host, trying to sound exciting with his articulation...Our PA system is so bad, I can hardly make out what anyone is saying...and no replays, just advertisements.

The students and fans at the Dunk are so loud that your head rattles. They actually watch the game and respond positively or negatively to plays. Our students are looking down on their phones, disinterested. JV has the toughest job!

Even in our Hurley heyday I do not ever recall that electric of an atmosphere, to that degree. I have seen Big East games at Madison Square that wouldn't come close to the Dunk last night. Even Nova commented about the atmosphere.
PC is ranked #8 right now, so I'm not sure if there has ever been an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to URI basketball, unless you want to go back to the Frank Keaney days. Even the Hurley years, our AP rank peaked at #16. The best way to improve fan support is with long-term, sustained winning, which we frankly haven't done. We've been a peaks-and-valleys program for about three decades now. There's less pressure to maintain things like a season ticket if you know there will often be single game tickets available.

That being said, from this topic, I still think it's clear that the marketing and promotion can be improved at the Ryan Center. Yeah, it's hard to sell people on the men's team right now, but I still think that the women's team attendance is lagging, given how that team is excelling and their current winning streak. Hell, at least in Texas, it's Girl Scout cookie time. Give some of the local troops a bunch of free tickets, at least try to paper half the building with younger people who could become future fans.
Girl Scouts we’re selling Cookies at the last Game vs Fordham.
Last game had a solid 1,252 and that is actual people in seats. I expect a strong crowd tonight.
People should come out for this team now because nobody knows what next year will bring.
4 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Another thing that kills me about this towel give away was how it was handled from the start. The email said originally it was supposed to be during the Dayton game in December. Why did they then have to wait for the make up Dayton game which was now set to tip off at 9 p.m. to do the give away? They let several home games pass where they supposedly had the towels on hand and didn't give them out. I take my two boys age 4 and 2 to the games with me. There was no way I was going to make a game on a Monday night at 9 p.m. not only with either child but myself included since I wasn't getting a babysitter on a Monday night to come over at around 8 o'clock. I was confused as to why they would handle something so simple in this manner but after reading all these posts and the highlights of the marketing departments incompetence it's starting to make sense how they could screw this up royally. Not only in the number of towels per ticket but the delivery of the towels.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Fair - but PC's fanbase is about 20 years younger on average than ours, and the people that sit near the court are boozed up and loud.

Our fans got reprimanded for being too mean to visiting teams. Then they moved the seats.

We are not the same.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A Beach Towel in 15 degree weather :roll: :roll:

Maybe through in some Sun Screen with the Towel?

Enough said.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Wifi, dead cell zone, replay issues aside, the MBB experience needs to be treated like A, AA baseball. it's needs to be entertainment.

the marketing / athletic departments(s) should not be selling the team. they need to sell the experience. OBV you cannot have fireworks nights but you can have a giveaway promo EVERY GAME. who pays for that you ask? the presenting sponsor of course.

there needs to be something else going on at all times when the game on the floor is not being played. there needs to be things going on in the hallway concourses.

the product (in our case, basketball) doesn't matter. minor league hockey does the same thing minor league baseball does. At this level the product only gets you so far and when you suck, it gets you where we are.

this shit isn't hard. URI could literally copy any A, AA minor league team in America and have a blueprint for moderate success at minimum.

what we have is just plain lazy. Spin it however they'd like, it's lazy and not good enough.
2 x
:lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So what you're saying is that you also agree that it's the best environment in the country?

You sound like you're surprised students were in the lobby hours before the game.

There's students who camp out for DAYS trying to get tickets to certain home games across the country.

Rhody students lined up in the cold for hours before the PC game to get tickets and the best seats a few years ago.

PC students being loud and getting there early is what happens when you have a top 10 matchup. It should come as no surprise.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago Wifi, dead cell zone, replay issues aside, the MBB experience needs to be treated like A, AA baseball. it's needs to be entertainment.

the marketing / athletic departments(s) should not be selling the team. they need to sell the experience. OBV you cannot have fireworks nights but you can have a giveaway promo EVERY GAME. who pays for that you ask? the presenting sponsor of course.

there needs to be something else going on at all times when the game on the floor is not being played. there needs to be things going on in the hallway concourses.

the product (in our case, basketball) doesn't matter. minor league hockey does the same thing minor league baseball does. At this level the product only gets you so far and when you suck, it gets you where we are.

this shit isn't hard. URI could literally copy any A, AA minor league team in America and have a blueprint for moderate success at minimum.

what we have is just plain lazy. Spin it however they'd like, it's lazy and not good enough.

Uhhhhh, the product 100% matters. What the hell are you talking about?

You think if we were ranked on Monday, it still would have been that dead?

Absolutely not.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

So what you're saying is that you also agree that it's the best environment in the country?

You sound like you're surprised students were in the lobby hours before the game.

There's students who camp out for DAYS trying to get tickets to certain home games across the country.

Rhody students lined up in the cold for hours before the PC game to get tickets and the best seats a few years ago.

PC students being loud and getting there early is what happens when you have a top 10 matchup. It should come as no surprise.
In the last big game where the students showed up, we lost by 1000 to Dayton. The Ryan Center was freaking incredible that night.

I agree that the student section isn't energized, but it's tough when you're a terrible A10 team. Our students would be losing their minds if we were a top 10 team.

A sold out Ryan Center has a different buzz than what I witnessed last night. The dunk is so freaking uncomfortable. It was an amazing environment, but I like ours more.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody drew 7,900 fans for a Wednesday 9:00 game vs #3 Dayton in the 2020 season. At that point, we still had a shot at the tourney. When we are good and play good teams people show up- no matter what date/time
6 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

In the last big game where the students showed up, we lost by 1000 to Dayton. The Ryan Center was freaking incredible that night.

I agree that the student section isn't energized, but it's tough when you're a terrible A10 team. Our students would be losing their minds if we were a top 10 team.

A sold out Ryan Center has a different buzz than what I witnessed last night. The dunk is so freaking uncomfortable. It was an amazing environment, but I like ours more.
I agree Stevie...I totally enjoyed those high energy games at the Ryan....but even that is NO comparison to the Dunk. You are correct it is uncomfortable to be there and not be a Pee Cee fan.

I think anyone comparing that environment to the Ryan, is fooling themselves.

I dont know if it is the BEST in the country, because I haven't been to this other high energy arenas, I will defer to the sports reporters that have.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Thanks for schooling me 15. God knows your opinion is always correct, you pedantic know it all.

Yeah, I didn't realize students wait in line for tickets...silly me.
Yeah, I didn't know students camp out...silly me.
Yeah, I didn't know students get loud when you have a top 10 matchup.

What a surprise....thanks for teaching me about fan behavior.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Thanks for schooling me 15. God knows your opinion is always correct, you pedantic know it all.

Yeah, I didn't realize students wait in line for tickets...silly me.
Yeah, I didn't know students camp out...silly me.
Yeah, I didn't know students get loud when you have a top 10 matchup.

What a surprise....thanks for teaching me about fan behavior.

Students camping out for days isn't my opinion. It's a fact.
Rhody students lining up in the cold for tickets isn't my opinion. It's a fact.
Students pack area's for a Top 10 matchup isn't my opinion. It's a fact.

Don't really know what you're trying to get at here, we both agree the environment looked great.

You said you "totally disagree" with my post, meaning you think it's the best environment in the country. I just can't get behind saying it's the best after a couple weeks of home games that were sold out and loud when schools have that type of crowd every home game for the past few years, not the past few weeks like PC.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I agree Stevie...I totally enjoyed those high energy games at the Ryan....but even that is NO comparison to the Dunk. You are correct it is uncomfortable to be there and not be a Pee Cee fan.

I think anyone comparing that environment to the Ryan, is fooling themselves.

I dont know if it is the BEST in the country, because I haven't been to this other high energy arenas, I will defer to the sports reporters that have.
All I know is I was extremely jealous last night...I miss the days of Dan Hurley losing his mind and us having a sold-out Ryan Center.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago Wifi, dead cell zone, replay issues aside, the MBB experience needs to be treated like A, AA baseball. it's needs to be entertainment.

Uhhhhh, the product 100% matters. What the hell are you talking about?

You think if we were ranked on Monday, it still would have been that dead?

Absolutely not.
you're not understanding. the 'product' being the sport or discipline doesn't matter. as in hockey, basketball, baseball, tiddlywinks; this part is irrelevant to the rest of my post.

Of course the performance of the sport in question has an affect.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It wasn't too long ago that when the opposing team was being introduced, the students would turn their backs, reading a newspaper and yelling 'SUCKS' after each player and coach was introduced. That's part of the atmosphere and an example of the students being engaged. I haven't seen any of that lately. Of course, that's hard to do when there are 54 students in the student section.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Game in/game out, PC puts on a better show period. A lot of it is outside of their control - it's easier to draw a crowd when you're in a city and near bars/parking/work. PC games are an event, regardless of who the opponent is.

Their gameday experience in the arena is better. The sound is modulated better. They have replays. They have WiFi. They have cell service. They have beer. They have food options. Their camera people do better work (zooming in on individuals, kiss cams, etc) It operates as a professional arena no matter what opponent is coming to town.

Obviously, they get the advantage of playing probably 5-10 marquee names/ranked teams in their building a year, and being good.

URI top end is a louder building and a better building to watch a game at. It just doesn't fill up as often.

You need a heavy draw to get people to commit to driving all the way down to Kingston on one lane roads, in cold dark winter, and walk across the parking lot and snowfields to the Ryan Center.

Starting from the top, and the topic. What marketing draw is there to get into the building?

Yes, you're obviously going to get a banged-out sellout when your team is good and playing a good team - so let's ignore that.

How do you get the crowds there when you don't have those games? How do you get the crowds to come back? That's why you have marketing.

Ignoring the team's performance, think about it from the walk-in:

Security lines are a JOKE. That tent is pathetic - use the lobby for security check-in? Find better equipment or more people or better people but I have NEVER experienced the delays to get into an event like I experience at the Ryan Center. It baffles the mind.

When you get in there - you're hungry. Say you're not a donor in the alumni lounge (not that the food there is worth writing home about), but what do you go and get? Reheated frozen crap? Stale popcorn or pretzels? The pizza is legit (shoutout pizza gourmet), but everything else is legitimately bad food unless you're in the suites eating the catering. And - there are like 2 concession stands open with only 2 registers. Get more registers?

You get to your seat. Now at least the advantages of the Ryan Center come in - amazing view, not a bad seat, bright, video boards..everything.

But after that? Want to get a beer? Hope you're prepared to wait 1/2 of a half to get a drink.

"Hey look at that sick play, can't wait to see it again! Oh...guess they don't do replays. OK that's fine I'll just check twitter to see if they have it. Oh. Guess I can't do that."

"Hey does anyone have a 1st half stat sheet from the alumni lounge? I can't get my ESPN app to load."

"Wonder how the kids are doing at home - let me shoot a text...oh guess I need to walk away from the court to the concourse to hope for service."

Etc, etc, etc. There are too many detractions for the Ryan Center experience when the team is playing poorly. We need to work harder because of the disadvantages of our location, regardless of the team's performance.

Make it an event. Some ideas that don't take a lot of money:

Open the doors earlier and get some legit food cart options from local vendors. Call it indoor food truck night. Center them around the north and south end zone pubs.

How about a beer-fest event? Have a game where all of the local RI breweries do a stand up at the pubs. Tasting flights and what not.

I mean you could probably do those type of things every night and at least get some kind of a draw there. At least it's an "event" to get people in the door.

Partner with the bars down the line - set up busses from wakefield near the bars. Get mews/chop house/or any other sponsored bar to give a burger and beer discount with a ticket and have a bus go to and from the bars to the Ryan Center. (that idea got shot down 14 years ago when I had it, because it makes too much sense to do it).

Someone needs to start recognizing these opportunities and pushing to make these games "events" - certainly in the interim of not having a good team.

Once you have people in the building for an event, you need to be sure that you can keep up an experience for them.

https://www.ubersignal.com/blog/sec-emp ... -stadiums/

There's an article from 2012. In technology years that might as well be 50 years ago. The SEC was putting cellular repeaters in all their stadiums to address poor cell service. Where are we at? If everyone had cell service you really wouldn't even need to address the WiFi (properly doing that is several hundred thousand dollars with switches, routers, access points, SD-WAN, etc).

Replays. This boggles my mind. I heard something about it costing a lot of money to put a replay system in - but here's a wild idea.

Take the video feed of the game. Find the hole on the video panel that says "output" and plug in an HDMi cord. Then, locate a similar hole that says "input" for the video board. Plug the other end of that cord in there. Just play the live broadcast of the game, and then you'll get the replays that the TV shows. Then you don't need to worry about any expertise or technical management.

And the security people always looking for people being too rowdy or drunk. Stop. Unless there's a fight going on, let it go. I've never seen any sporting event where people were more on-edge for being loud and crazy. That's literally what everyone wants to see and for some reason the RC has always had a problem with it.

I don't think any of this would cost too much, just takes a willingness to do things differently - which is probably the hardest thing at URI to get accomplished. Very ironic for the "think big, we do" moniker.

TL;DR - everyone knows you'll get a loud arena if your team is good and/or they are playing a good team. Marketing is for the games in-between those games where you need to sell people on your experience beyond basketball. PC has a lot of advantages - location, conference, etc - but they consistently deliver a better experience on an average game day than URI does.

It would not take much (cell repeater, video live feed on jumbotron, earlier opening foodtruck/beer tasting events, more lax fan behavior regulation) for URI to deliver a good experience outside of basketball.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I mean literally Blue Man just gave the exact plan of what needs to be done. And many people have been saying variations of this for years. Figure it out and listen to the fans!
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm glad you specifically brought up food, that is something that came up in the fan engagement meetings between Hurley's 2nd and 3rd seasons. Basically we were told that the company that was running concessions wouldn't commit to improving concessions and adding options because attendance wasn't high enough to justify their costs at that time. But the lack of concessions creates an atmosphere that suppresses attendance! You need to invest to make money!

Now for replays. Again, something that was heavily brought up at that meeting. They took us out to the arena to showcase the new at the time scoreboard and ribbon boards that had just been put up and bragged that we had the same technology that was in the TD Garden at the time. Over 7 years later we still don't get replays, literally the only damn point of having video boards in the first place! Why invest in at least 3 (2 main and at least 1 opposite corner) video boards since the opening of the Ryan Center if you refuse to use the damn things properly?
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago I'm glad you specifically brought up food, that is something that came up in the fan engagement meetings between Hurley's 2nd and 3rd seasons. Basically we were told that the company that was running concessions wouldn't commit to improving concessions and adding options because attendance wasn't high enough to justify their costs at that time. But the lack of concessions creates an atmosphere that suppresses attendance! You need to invest to make money!
Blahhhh. The building concessions have always just been such a seemingly corporate morass. It *feels* like you're in one of those grey, generic corporate box arenas from the 1980s and 1990s, even if the actual sight lines and game action is great.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Mews does actually have a couple of booths at the RC now, although I haven't tried any of it yet. I always eat before I go to the game because of the lousy concessions. Maybe I'll give something from the Mews a shot.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

*also, please when this stuff happens (I hope), don't act like it's some super awesome achievement.

Getting WiFi/cell service, or replays in your "state of the art" arena in 2022 is not worthy of a celebration. That's the bare minimum. We just lag very, very, very far behind.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago *also, please when this stuff happens (I hope), don't act like it's some super awesome achievement.

Getting WiFi/cell service, or replays in your "state of the art" arena in 2022 is not worthy of a celebration. That's the bare minimum. We just lag very, very, very far behind.
The stories that have been told. Bout how expensive it would’ve to fix WI-FI and to have replays don’t make sense. Somebody needs to push back on these Debbie Downer “we can’t get the money”, “it’ll cost too much”, “ it’s not my department”, “we can’t get any money from the state”, “it was in the budget but they pulled it out with Covid”, etc.

Just fix it or we will bring somebody in who can. You have 2 months.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago do they not have a budget?
Guaranteed this is a huge part of the problem.
100% agree. however that is not an excuse to not leave your office and get out and about in south county and make yourself known.

that's just lazy.
Go to a restaurant and wear a Rhody pullover. That's what I would do. My boss gave us all Yeti's with our logo on it. Who doesn't want a Yeti. I bring it everywhere.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago *also, please when this stuff happens (I hope), don't act like it's some super awesome achievement.

The stories that have been told. Bout how expensive it would’ve to fix WI-FI and to have replays don’t make sense. Somebody needs to push back on these Debbie Downer “we can’t get the money”, “it’ll cost too much”, “ it’s not my department”, “we can’t get any money from the state”, “it was in the budget but they pulled it out with Covid”, etc.

A passive DAS (distributed antenna system) that would take outside cell signal and boost it inside would cost around $200k according to a quick google search.

Replays could be free if we just ran the TV feed to the video board and switched off it during commercials to push our own ads.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …..back to beach towels……..Marketing staff meeting………OK we need ideas for season ticket holder appreciation nite……any ideas….anyone…….sure how about beach towel give-away……..great idea……how many individual season tickets do we have?…….we have “X” season tickets…….OK, how much does each towel cost?…….in bulk each cost “Y”………mmmmmmm, we can’t afford that X times Y……how many individual season ticket accounts do we have?………mmmmmm let’s give one towel per season ticket account…….we can afford that……..

……..probably more complicated than that, but………
A beach towel in the middle of winter? I'm sure it will go to great use in the 12 degree weather we're having. I'm embarrassed to have majored in Marketing at URI. Should have stuck with Higgins and Vangermeersch in Accounting.

haha! Vangermeersh is a legend. He's always up at the Narragansett TC meetings. The guy knows what he's talking about!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Literally the biggest cost of getting replays is the video board. We have that plus the back end technology to play them (same technology as the TD Garden circa 2014)
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….some of these in game RC experiences and lack there of have to be on Thorr’s responsibility…….I know the RC ops is a contract provider, but I would thing the RFP for that needs to include some of this stuff……no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Concessions for Sunday’s women’s game-
1 concession stand open on 1st floor.
1 cart selling popcorn/ candy/soda on second floor.
That was it.
No beer
1000+ people
Worse than a some high schools
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

I was told that we have the ability to have replays now, but the A10 dissuades the use.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Concessions for Sunday’s women’s game-
1 concession stand open on 1st floor.
1 cart selling popcorn/ candy/soda on second floor.
That was it.
No beer
1000+ people
Worse than a some high schools
They should at least have a tap or two open. Sheesh.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …..back to beach towels……..Marketing staff meeting………OK we need ideas for season ticket holder appreciation nite……any ideas….anyone…….sure how about beach towel give-away……..great idea……how many individual season tickets do we have?…….we have “X” season tickets…….OK, how much does each towel cost?…….in bulk each cost “Y”………mmmmmmm, we can’t afford that X times Y……how many individual season ticket accounts do we have?………mmmmmm let’s give one towel per season ticket account…….we can afford that……..

……..probably more complicated than that, but………
A beach towel in the middle of winter? I'm sure it will go to great use in the 12 degree weather we're having. I'm embarrassed to have majored in Marketing at URI. Should have stuck with Higgins and Vangermeersch in Accounting.

haha! Vangermeersh is a legend. He's always up at the Narragansett TC meetings. The guy knows what he's talking about!
Vang!!!!!! I thought the Accounting Dept was first class when I got my degree. Still see many Profs off campus.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Kingston will never be Providence. In terms of pregame models, we should look to UCONN. Bars down the line are the best though. The emporium needs to be marketed better. I was also on campus last week and noticed 1 or 2 signs on the road advertising a basketball game. They were also half knocked over from snow and not too visible. I will also say that the addition of matunuck oysters at the Ryan is a good step.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I was told that we have the ability to have replays now, but the A10 dissuades the use.
We need to stop letting the A10 hold back our product if true. First our fans were too good, now we need to not use our video boards? They can piss up a rope
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Kingston will never be Providence. In terms of pregame models, we should look to UCONN. Bars down the line are the best though. The emporium needs to be marketed better. I was also on campus last week and noticed 1 or 2 signs on the road advertising a basketball game. They were also half knocked over from snow and not too visible. I will also say that the addition of matunuck oysters at the Ryan is a good step.

I love MOB, but the setup of the restaurant itself isn't too much of a post-game gathering spot. Parking is tight and I can tell Perry never intended it to be a watering hole.

Chophouse has a narrow setup for the bar, also.

FWIW what would be brilliant is if there was a bar setup locally that was similar to Casey's. Not that people need to get sloshed, but that type of setup provided a more engaging atmosphere and made it easier to talk to people postgame.

I just got home from the women's game and it was really a great time, Tammi provides a lot of energy to these ladies. You can surely see their tenacity and hustle on the court. Stinks to see them lose, but loved being able to be there tonight!
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

When I was a freshman at URI, I believe the closest bar to campus was on Rt. 108, and called Iggy's (I think). It's been many places over the years since. Not even sure if it's anything now. Would be nice to have a place with a big bar/bar area again. I know Shaidezon (sp?) is pretty close, but it's opposite direction from "down the line"...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago ELhydVtWoAEaITl.jpg

That's the Ryan Center my heart knows and loves.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago When I was a freshman at URI, I believe the closest bar to campus was on Rt. 108, and called Iggy's (I think). It's been many places over the years since. Not even sure if it's anything now. Would be nice to have a place with a big bar/bar area again. I know Shaidezon (sp?) is pretty close, but it's opposite direction from "down the line"...
……..the old Iggy’s structure is gone, there was local talk of the Dan’s Place of WEG was gonna open something there…….now an under construction cluster housing development……..so where is the on campus restaurant hotel DrDooley often spoke about in his vision…….?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Would like to say - at the women's game last night, was nice to just go and grab a beer without much fuss. Granted $9 for a gansett tall-boy was a bit Gillette stadium world-champion Patriots prices, but we're trending in the right direction.

Although I thought the wristbands were unnecessary.

Still would've been nice to see some Dolly Cairns 3 pointer replays, or highlighting some of the trash calls the refs missed.

Also would've been nice to be able to send pictures via text. But hey, it's only 2022. Does that technology even exist?
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago When I was a freshman at URI, I believe the closest bar to campus was on Rt. 108, and called Iggy's (I think). It's been many places over the years since. Not even sure if it's anything now. Would be nice to have a place with a big bar/bar area again. I know Shaidezon (sp?) is pretty close, but it's opposite direction from "down the line"...
……..the old Iggy’s structure is gone, there was local talk of the Dan’s Place of WEG was gonna open something there…….now an under construction cluster housing development……..so where is the on campus restaurant hotel DrDooley often spoke about in his vision…….?
Wow, shows you how much I drive that section of 108 anymore...thanks for the update!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Would like to say - at the women's game last night, was nice to just go and grab a beer without much fuss. Granted $9 for a gansett tall-boy was a bit Gillette stadium world-champion Patriots prices, but we're trending in the right direction.

Although I thought the wristbands were unnecessary.

Still would've been nice to see some Dolly Cairns 3 pointer replays, or highlighting some of the trash calls the refs missed.

Also would've been nice to be able to send pictures via text. But hey, it's only 2022. Does that technology even exist?
I want my Dolly! (If MBB had a shooter like her we'd be competing, having fun AND winning.)
3 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Supposedly, Dan’s had a lot of building issues with keeping the rural character of the area.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I know I’ve been scolded for it in the past, but I think URI is stupid for not playing a neutral-ish game every season at the Dunk.

I would do it when the students are on break, against a team that wouldn’t normally draw very well. Hell pack up the court from the RC and bring it up.

And as a school, I would give away thousands of tickets to central and northern RI school kids… get their asses in the seats, show them how fun URI basketball can be, and hope maybe they become fans who travel to the RC because it was such a good experience.

Seriously, what is there to lose? It’s not about PC. It’s not about the Dunk. It’s about playing in an area of the state where people could very easily be attend and maybe grow their fandom.

I’ve felt for a long-time that’s a major lost opportunity for URI. But I know most of you feel different.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago I know I’ve been scolded for it in the past, but I think URI is stupid for not playing a neutral-ish game every season at the Dunk.

I would do it when the students are on break, against a team that wouldn’t normally draw very well. Hell pack up the court from the RC and bring it up.

And as a school, I would give away thousands of tickets to central and northern RI school kids… get their asses in the seats, show them how fun URI basketball can be, and hope maybe they become fans who travel to the RC because it was such a good experience.

Seriously, what is there to lose? It’s not about PC. It’s not about the Dunk. It’s about playing in an area of the state where people could very easily be attend and maybe grow their fandom.

I’ve felt for a long-time that’s a major lost opportunity for URI. But I know most of you feel different.
It would make more sense at Mohegan. Newer arena with better amenities, concessions and gambling. Plus it's closer to URI. We've had neutral games against West Virginia and OK State there in the past if I'm not mistaken.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago I know I’ve been scolded for it in the past, but I think URI is stupid for not playing a neutral-ish game every season at the Dunk.

I like this.

A lot.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..well, the concept does offer some opportunity to get some fan base going in “up state” RI, I like using our floor…….I guess we would be losing a home game attendance and $$$ due to our fans not wanting to go north of the Towers……..many of our fans don’t even go to Providence for the PC game…….idea is though an out of the box thinking that we seem to lack at this point…….the opponent ideally would be some national recognition…….I have always liked the Mohegan games…….interesting concept, like yeah, what do we have to loose………and didn’t we play a couple of “home” games in our sked in then Civic Center back in whatever day?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm completely against this idea just because I think the second we do this PC decides they'll never come back to the Ryan Center and demand all games take place at the Dunk. I don't think any small gain we'd get from doing this would be worth the guaranteed sell out every other year
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……OK fair enough, to me these are separate issues, but I suppose that move by PC could be an unintended consequence…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, this idea makes no sense and ignores the history of URI games in the Dunk which goes back to 1976. Before the Ryan Center opened we played a few games per year at the Dunk, more during the heady days in the 90's, less in the 80's when the team struggled in the aftermath of the Big East formation. The last two years with Dunk games were the Jerry D years and attendance was terrible, many games drawing less than 4000 fans. The 2001 PC game in Baron's first year, the last URI home game at the Dunk, drew 6,095. If URI's great tournament teams in 1998 and 1999 didn't lead to enticing RI high schoolers to become URI fans, then why would inept Cox teams playing there accomplish that. The scenario changed when Ryan Center was opened and that state investment was paid off because despite the ups and downs of URI attendance has steadily increased, Some 270+ games have been played in Ryan and 30+ would have fit in Keaney gym.

The URI current and ongoing problem is the inability to build a solid program that withstands the transitions of coaches and players more like Dayton and VCU have been able to accomplish. This requires more funding from the general fund and more donations from alumni and friends. And, of course, getting rid of Cox. This is the issue at URI and not the basic subject of this thread which is kind of like of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
2 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Replays and $5 beers at the Bryant game.
1 x