2021/22 NFL Playoffs

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
steviep123
Sly Williams

2021/22 NFL Playoffs

Unread post by steviep123 »

Perhaps this is the "old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn" in me, but man, 3 of 5 games this weekend (with one to come) are blowouts, including both 7 seeds getting destroyed (as well as local favorite Patriots who limped into the playoffs). But this sort of proves, that expanding the playoffs is a mistake and just makes the first round unwatchable. I was against this from the start (as well as the extra week). I thought the 16 week schedule and 6 playoff teams per conference with the top 2 seeds getting a bye was perfect. I don't see a good compelling reason to punish the 2 seed and force them into playing a laugher. Neither Philly nor Pittsburgh had a chance yesterday and I suspect over the next several seasons there will be very few times that a 7 seed will have a chance against the two seed, let alone win. Even with 6 teams there was usually at least one blowout a weekend. Also, I hate the Monday night playoff game. If you are going to force feed us this pile of garbage, do 3 games per day 1, 4:30 and 8:15 both Sat and Sunday. Thoughts?
Last edited by steviep123 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2021/22 NFL Playoffs

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

From the handle/post department...
I like the expansion. Admitted fair weather fan of the Gmen, I usually stop watching when they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Needless to say, I haven't seen many games the past few years. There's a segment of fans they gain by keeping a team's playoff hopes alive...and I don't think you 'lose' any? I was psyched to see games on all day all night all weekend (even though I didn't watch a ton) and looking forward to tonight. I don't mind the extra games...

Eta...maybe even expand it...make 1 play 8...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like the expansion. Keeps hopes alive for more teams. NHL and NBA have lots of teams make the playoffs.

It's rough for teams who can't make the playoffs and have no hope. The point spreads were fairly close although the actuals were lopsided in some games:
Raiders -3.5
Bengals -6
Bills -4.5
Bucs -7
Cowboys -3.5
Chiefs -12.5
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Burrow is a stud.

Most if not all 2nd year QB's would have made desperation throws when about to get sacked, and been intercepted multiple times.

Joe Cool indeed.

Give him a decent O line, and the Bengals are SB contenders for quite a while.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Watching Rodgers lose is fun at least.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I thought they might.

The SB champ will be one of 4 teams:

Bills, Chiefs, Rams, Bucs.

In other words, whoever wins today's games will play each other Feb.13th.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I don't know Rambone Cinci and SF got things rolling now. Depending on injuries I could see SF pulling off another upset (as long as Garrapolo doesn't screw up too many times). Agree on KC/Buff, but you never know with Burrow; no pressure, playing loose, etc.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Watching Rodgers lose is fun at least.
Not for me. I’m a Packers fan and that was a nut punching loss. But they’ve been playing with that fire all season. Unable to put teams away and keeping opponents close. Nearly blew at least 3 or 4 games this year and finally but them yesterday.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago I don't know Rambone Cinci and SF got things rolling now. Depending on injuries I could see SF pulling off another upset (as long as Garrapolo doesn't screw up too many times). Agree on KC/Buff, but you never know with Burrow; no pressure, playing loose, etc.
Jimmy G wasn’t great yesterday and threw some dangerous passes. GB only took advantage of one. He may not get that lucky next week.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Last night's game reminded me of that rock fight New England won against Buffalo earlier this year. I'm curious to see if Rodgers actually does play somewhere next year. I kind of think both sides might want a change at this point, even though there's no way the Packers can receive equal value for him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Chiefs beat Bills in OT is one of the most amazing games ever.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The last two days have been incredible, capped off by that amazing ending tonight. I wish they’d change the OT rules, but either way what an unreal performance by both teams.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago The last two days have been incredible, capped off by that amazing ending tonight. I wish they’d change the OT rules, but either way what an unreal performance by both teams.
Yup 4 walkoff wins just incredible, Goodell is smiling

Tough to be a Bills fan after that guy crunching loss
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago The last two days have been incredible, capped off by that amazing ending tonight. I wish they’d change the OT rules, but either way what an unreal performance by both teams.
Yup 4 walkoff wins just incredible, Goodell is smiling

Tough to be a Bills fan after that guy crunching loss
You would never think the Chiefs had a chance with only 13 seconds left and needing a field goal to tie
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

So I'm a Packers fan and that Bills loss was even more nut punching than Sat night. I really feel for Bills fans. LA nearly blew it too!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Going forward, if your favorite AFC team doesn't have Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow as your QB, good luck trying to make the SB.

In the NFC, Rodgers is yesterday's news, Brady might be done.....maybe Stafford is the best in the conference next year?

And the Giants have.......drumroll please.........Daniel Jones......pardon me if I'm underwhelmed.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And as long as the Cowboys have Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones, they ain't making it either.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Going forward, if your favorite AFC team doesn't have Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow as your QB, good luck trying to make the SB.

In the NFC, Rodgers is yesterday's news, Brady might be done.....maybe Stafford is the best in the conference next year?

And the Giants have.......drumroll please.........Daniel Jones......pardon me if I'm underwhelmed.
The Herbert kid on the Chargers is pretty good too.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sean Payton to the Giants...please.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Sean Payton to the Giants...please.
Is he leaving New Orleans or is this wishful thinking on your part.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Going forward, if your favorite AFC team doesn't have Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow as your QB, good luck trying to make the SB.

It’s insane that Rodgers hasn’t made another Super Bowl after winning it in 2010-11. Thought he’d make at least a couple more. Crazy.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
They are "unsure" if he plans to come back to NO. Serious wishful thinking...
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Anything can happen, but I can't see him leaving NO unless it's to take time off from coaching or fully retire.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Anything can happen, but I can't see him leaving NO unless it's to take time off from coaching or fully retire.
Or move from the Big Easy to the Big crApple? Him, with an eligible D Watson would be a nice start...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The new Giants GM said today there was no consideration of hiring Payton.

I don't think he would have come anyway....the Giants are a rebuild with a questionable QB, and hiring him would cost the Giants their first round picks.....my guess is SP sits out a year and goes to the Cowboys if McCarthy screws up again.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The new Giants GM said today there was no consideration of hiring Payton.

I don't think he would have come anyway....the Giants are a rebuild with a questionable QB, and hiring him would cost the Giants their first round picks.....my guess is SP sits out a year and goes to the Cowboys if McCarthy screws up again.
Sucks that there was no consideration, why would the GM say that? To make sure everyone knows they're not trying to search everywhere for the best possible coach? Would it have killed the guy to say something like "we have an idea, but aren't ruling anything out at this point"? ...does McCarthy really get another year on Dallas?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

I think it's more when than if for McCarthy
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Daboll or L Frazier may be your next coach they both from Buffalo same as the New GM
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Daboll or L Frazier may be your next coach they both from Buffalo same as the New GM
Daboll sounds great and then I remember...Daniel Jones is nothing like Josh Allen, except for they both play QB... Josh Allen can throw and get after it on the ground...DJ goes down untouched in the open field on his own...
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Daboll or L Frazier may be your next coach they both from Buffalo same as the New GM
Daboll sounds great and then I remember...Daniel Jones is nothing like Josh Allen, except for they both play QB... Josh Allen can throw and get after it on the ground...DJ goes down untouched in the open field on his own...
and then fumbles the ball
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
I'm not sure the brass likes him...he gets hurt and they just keep running him...
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I'm not sure the brass likes him...he gets hurt and they just keep running him...
I have never been sold on DJ, but our OL has been so bad, it is hard to tell what he can do.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I have never been sold on DJ, but our OL has been so bad, it is hard to tell what he can do.
Does his brother still play for Davidson? I remember being at the game at Kingston vs. Davidson in early 2020 and DJ was there.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago And as long as the Cowboys have Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones, they ain't making it either.
McCarty is returning to Dallas next year. :lol:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/331 ... coach-2022
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago

The Herbert kid on the Chargers is pretty good too.
Yes, Herbert and the Chargers will contend, too.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Does his brother still play for Davidson? I remember being at the game at Kingston vs. Davidson in early 2020 and DJ was there.
His brother Bates Jones is a grad transfer playing at Duke.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So what's the pick for the Super Bowl?

I think it will come down to the wire....and if it does, the Bengals will pull the upset....

If it's not close, it will be the Rams.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago So what's the pick for the Super Bowl?

I think it will come down to the wire....and if it does, the Bengals will pull the upset....

If it's not close, it will be the Rams.
I think the Rams DL is going to dominate the Bengals OL. That's the difference. Rams 28, Bengals 17.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

All signs do seem to point to the Rams having the advantage, especially in that DL/OL matchup. But I took the Bengals anyway, just feels like they have something special going on this year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bengals couldn't pull it off, but they covered! And best halftime show of all time.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Bengals couldn't pull it off, but they covered! And best halftime show of all time.
Hate to say this, but the Bengals sort of got screwed. LA might have gotten the TD anyway, but that holding call on 3rd down was WEAK. There was a jersey hold on 3rd down before Cincy's first FG that went uncalled. That was much worse than the alleged hold that was called late. At the time of the first non call, Collinsworth said, (paraphrasing): "They won't call that - they'll let you play in the superbowl" - well apparently not at the end of the game. You could also argue (and I agree) that Cincy's TD early in the 2nd half should have been a facemask call on the receiver, negating the TD.

So, a lot of assumptions here, if:

1. that initial hold is called then Cincy has first and goal (or at least first and somewhere in the red zone - I don't remember exactly), and potentially score a TD.

2. The face mask is called, and that TD doesn't happen. Either Cincy scores anyway (td or FG) or does not. Let's say they punt.

3. The refs don't call that incredibly WEAK hold late, and LA doesn't score.

all else is equal, then LA only has 16 points instead of 23 and Cincy has either 13 or 17 points with more time to go down and score if need be.

I know I know, a lot of IFs. Mainly Cincy got screwed at the end due to a weak holding call that shouldn't have been called, and also suffered from a non call that was worse earlier in the game (like Green Bay did in last year's NFC championship game - Tampa's D got away with two uncalled DPIs - one leading to an interception and touchdown before halftime - then got called for a DPI that wasn't as bad as the two not called earlier late in the game. The call was correct, but the other two non calls were egregious!). The facemask call Cincy got away with didn't make up for it.

all that said, you'd think in the NFL's biggest games, the refs wouldn't be blowing such obvious calls, but here we are.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Totally agree, that holding call was brutal!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think it's hard for the Bengals to cry about the officials at all when one of their TDs came from pretty blatant offensive pass interference that wasn't called. It was a kind of odd Super Bowl - competitive, but I don't think either team played especially well.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago I think it's hard for the Bengals to cry about the officials at all when one of their TDs came from pretty blatant offensive pass interference that wasn't called.
Yeah, this is definitely also true.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I definitely thought that 3rd down call was questionable but it did makeup for the face mask they missed , sucks for a game that tight to come to a questionable call
0 x