2/14 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/14 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Dayton is a good team but they can play bad basketball. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we beat them. We should beat a team like this at home in year 4. I expected to split with them before the season.

Rhody wins by 6
True Stevey, but that comes with their youth.

They really don't have any terrible A10 losses like us.
They lose by 1 to VCU and also by 1 at GM.
Their other loss was to a very good SLU in St. Louis.
Dayton did come back and beat VCU by 30 in Richmond.

I think it is going to take a huge effort from us to win.
And who besides Luke predicted we would beat Davidson?
I didn't, that was a very pleasant surprise.
That was the team I had expected to see from the start of the season.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

As others have said its tough to predict which URI team shows up tonight, but I think we'll build on the last game and pull off another upset tonight with the quick turnaround hopefully working in our favor.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Imagine we beat Dayton tonight and Dayton Wednesday night. Who could say they watched 4 URI wins in the Ryan Center in 5 days?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/30 | Dayton | (POSTPONED)

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago We should follow the guidelines of the CDC and NIH. These institutions are guided by science under the new administration. Ignore the opinions of know-nothings. I'm tired of unvaccinated luddites clogging up our health care system. Set up tents and provide them with compassionate care.
I'm tired up obese people clogging up our healthcare system. Set up tents and provide them with passionate care.

The science on obesity is pretty clear. As a follower of science, I think it's ridiculous that the obese go to the hospital way more often than other people, driving up the cost of care and taking up beds of those who follow the science and did not let themselves get obese.

Thank God I know you're a troll and you don't actually believe the things you say. Could you imagine if your online persona was actually who you are in real life and you thought those things? Oof.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I don’t see how another win for URI screws the A10 Conference. And even if it did who cares if it’s not URI getting screwed.

Best NET is Dayton at 59. Not good for At-Large consideration if you are from a Mid-Major.

Since St Bonaventure was preseason ranked in Top 15 I guess every team that has beaten the Bonnie's screwed the A10.

One game at a time. Beat Dayton.

Top 4 NET Rankings in A10:

59 - Dayton
60 - St Louis
61 - Davidson
67 - VCU
We want our conference to receive at large bids. We have no chance at a bid....Dayton is still alive...

Losing to a bad A10 team will ruin their shot at a bid. I'll still be rooting for Rhody, but the conference will want Dayton to win.
We beat Davidson and Dayton back to back that "bad A10 team" might come into question.

We will be more viewed as a team nobody wants to play early in Washington DC.
It would be a nice win but let's not go overboard here. We should win this game on our home court.

If we beat Dayton, we will be 5-7 in the conference. I'll repeat that....5-7...

I'm not sure what this team has done to scare top A10 teams if we play them in a high pressured conference tournament on a netural site.

Win out for the rest of the season, and I believe teams will be apprehensive about us.

I bet we go at best 4-2 the rest of the way.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago We should follow the guidelines of the CDC and NIH. These institutions are guided by science under the new administration. Ignore the opinions of know-nothings. I'm tired of unvaccinated luddites clogging up our health care system. Set up tents and provide them with compassionate care.
I'm tired up obese people clogging up our healthcare system. Set up tents and provide them with passionate care.

The science on obesity is pretty clear. As a follower of science, I think it's ridiculous that the obese go to the hospital way more often than other people, driving up the cost of care and taking up beds of those who follow the science and did not let themselves get obese.

Thank God I know you're a troll and you don't actually believe the things you say. Could you imagine if your online persona was actually who you are in real life and you thought those things? Oof.

Listen, seeing someone who needs a motorized cart to grocery shop with a cart full of chemical-ridden cookies and cake products whilst wearing a mask.... the health crisis isn't covid.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I wouldn't speculate on the fate of URI except on a game by game basis . Just about any scenario is plausible . Win out is feasible and lose out
is also feasible . We will see what happens tonight . i have predicted a URI win tonight , but I wouldn't bet big on that . This team could possibly
go on a long win streak the same as they went on the six game losing streak. I am hoping for that as opposed to those rooting for the team to lose
or at least lamenting how wins will hurt the A 10 . as a fan I just want my team to win every game and see where that leads . The other teams can take care of themselves .
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

Listen, seeing someone who needs a motorized cart to grocery shop with a cart full of chemical-ridden cookies and cake products whilst wearing a mask.... the health crisis isn't covid.
While some people can get away with eating/drinking sugar and heavily processed foods the vast majority of us can not. Add some lobbyist pressure and bad guidance from the FDA and we have an obese diabetic society. Misguided folks trying to eat a low fat diet. End of mini rant.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago It also bodes well for a team like URI, seemingly given up on by most, media down on the HC, people even rooting for them to lose so that a new coach comes into the scene and some even disappointed to an extent If we beat a team and hurt A10 At Large chances (even though they At Large is and has been considered a long shot.

Classic circle the wagons, us against the world scenario for URI players and coaches. We see this scenario often in the sports world.

Davidson was a big win for us. We lost to Davidson and Dayton in the final seconds on the road and these are the highest NET teams in the Conference.

A win tonight vs Dayton back to back with the Davidson win plus two nail biters with Dayton and Davidson on the road says we can play with anybody in the A10.

Needless to say, Big game tonight.
Are you in the ticket sales business for URI? This is hardly considered a big game. Whether they win or lose they have zero percent chance of making the NCAA tournament and only get in winning the A-10 tourney. The truth is this league isn’t very good including Davidson and these are both home games. Let’s keep in mind the win on Saturday is their first in a long time. I’m sure if they win tonight we will be hearing the argument on keeping Cox. I just can’t stomach another year of Cox and especially the Twins, unless a new coach lays down the law for them.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago It also bodes well for a team like URI, seemingly given up on by most, media down on the HC, people even rooting for them to lose so that a new coach comes into the scene and some even disappointed to an extent If we beat a team and hurt A10 At Large chances (even though they At Large is and has been considered a long shot.

Classic circle the wagons, us against the world scenario for URI players and coaches. We see this scenario often in the sports world.

Davidson was a big win for us. We lost to Davidson and Dayton in the final seconds on the road and these are the highest NET teams in the Conference.

A win tonight vs Dayton back to back with the Davidson win plus two nail biters with Dayton and Davidson on the road says we can play with anybody in the A10.

Are you in the ticket sales business for URI? This is hardly considered a big game. Whether they win or lose they have zero percent chance of making the NCAA tournament and only get in winning the A-10 tourney. The truth is this league isn’t very good including Davidson and these are both home games. Let’s keep in mind the win on Saturday is their first in a long time. I’m sure if they win tonight we will be hearing the argument on keeping Cox. I just can’t stomach another year of Cox and especially the Twins, unless a new coach lays down the law for them.
I’ve been saying for months this is a 1 bid league. No At Large teams. Only the AQ.

So for me I’m not on the edge of the cliff losing an At Large opportunity because there hasn’t been one.

But, that said, a win tonight vs Dayton puts back to back wins against the Top Ranked NET team in the A10. Tells our guys and our opponents we can potentially win the A10 Tournament.

And that is basically the only path any of the 14 teams has at this point in the season. All equal in a way - with seeding the only variable.

Even if I’m wrong and an A10 team sneaks in as an At Large it’s irrelevant for us.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I’ve been saying for months this is a 1 bid league. No At Large teams. Only the AQ.

So for me I’m not on the edge of the cliff losing an At Large opportunity because there hasn’t been one.

But, that said, a win tonight vs Dayton puts back to back wins against the Top Ranked NET team in the A10. Tells our guys and our opponents we can potentially win the A10 Tournament.

And that is basically the only path any of the 14 teams has at this point in the season. All equal in a way - with seeding the only variable.

Even if I’m wrong and an A10 team sneaks in as an At Large it’s irrelevant for us.
This is torture. I really hope our guys win out the next games. and win the tournament.

BUT, I have no faith that will happen.

Even doing the mental calculations seems to be a waste of time. I have written off the season in my mind. I will continue to attend games, and I will travel to DC, but my expectations are extremely low.

I hope next year is a better year, as I am tired of my Pee Cee friends telling me how much our team stinks, and I cannot disagree with them.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I understand what you're saying, but I think everyone is just exhausted with putting qualifiers on games in year 4 of a head coach when he took over a turnkey championship program.

Like yeah, was beating Davidson a "big win for us" - yeah, I mean - we hadn't beaten a Q2 team all year (it's mid-February). Granted, Davidson really isn't that good and could very well be a Q3 win by the end of the season.

But like, that's sad. That beating a top 60 team is your pinnacle in year 4. You should be positioning for seeding in an NCAA tourney year, and you're having to qualify big wins with "for us" because you know we are a bad team.

I admire your optimism. Legit I do. I just hate that it's needed after 4 years squandered.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

This is torture. I really hope our guys win out the next games. and win the tournament.

Even doing the mental calculations seems to be a waste of time. I have written off the season in my mind. I will continue to attend games, and I will travel to DC, but my expectations are extremely low.

I hope next year is a better year, as I am tired of my Pee Cee friends telling me how much our team stinks, and I cannot disagree with them.
Our Women's team beat pc and are getting votes in the Top 25. That's what we have. And quite frankly, I'm enjoying more than I thought.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Our Women's team beat pc and are getting votes in the Top 25. That's what we have. And quite frankly, I'm enjoying more than I thought.
First URI basketball game I watched in 2 years where I was legitimately excited and enjoyed what I was seeing. Can't wait for the Dayton game Wednesday.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You keep saying Atlantic 10 at large bids would be irrelevant and that is simply false. Each bid gives the conference, and therefore our athletic department, more money
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

You keep saying Atlantic 10 at large bids would be irrelevant and that is simply false. Each bid gives the conference, and therefore our athletic department, more money
Ok.
That’s fair.
Don’t see an At-Large coming BUT I hope the conference get 1 or 5. Doesn’t matter what I hope for anyway. But in no way will I feel bad if a URI win of any kind keeps another A10 team from getting one.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Davidson is no slouch - they did beat a #18 Alabama. We just match up great against them. Good win. Happy for the team. Still think Cox is not going to make it through to next year.
0 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Giving away 2 tickets to the game tonight, can't go. PM me if interested. Tickets in hand.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Are you in the ticket sales business for URI? This is hardly considered a big game. Whether they win or lose they have zero percent chance of making the NCAA tournament and only get in winning the A-10 tourney. The truth is this league isn't very good including Davidson and these are both home games. Let's keep in mind the win on Saturday is their first in a long time. I'm sure if they win tonight we will be hearing the argument on keeping Cox. I just can't stomach another year of Cox and especially the Twins, unless a new coach lays down the law for them.
I've been saying for months this is a 1 bid league. No At Large teams. Only the AQ.

So for me I'm not on the edge of the cliff losing an At Large opportunity because there hasn't been one.

Even if I'm wrong and an A10 team sneaks in as an At Large it's irrelevant for us.
It's not irrelevant. It helps us financially. How about recruiting? Hey, play for us. We play in a conference whose only chance at a bid is the AQ. Or play for a conference that receives multiple bids a year? Option 2 sounds more intriguing.

Here is a good article that breaks down how it works.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... every-year

There hasn't been an at large opportunity? Davidson has been an at large team until they lost to a bad A10 team named Rhode Island. They still, without question, can land a bid..St Louis is right in the mix. Dayton is on the outside, but it's possible.

I love that you're bringing up how great it would be for us to beat Davidson and Dayton but bash our conference. The A10 is not as bad as you have made it out to be all season.

One of the most accurate bracketologists said Davidson would be a first four team in after their loss to us.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Are you in the ticket sales business for URI? This is hardly considered a big game. Whether they win or lose they have zero percent chance of making the NCAA tournament and only get in winning the A-10 tourney. The truth is this league isn't very good including Davidson and these are both home games. Let's keep in mind the win on Saturday is their first in a long time. I'm sure if they win tonight we will be hearing the argument on keeping Cox. I just can't stomach another year of Cox and especially the Twins, unless a new coach lays down the law for them.
I've been saying for months this is a 1 bid league. No At Large teams. Only the AQ.

So for me I'm not on the edge of the cliff losing an At Large opportunity because there hasn't been one.

Even if I'm wrong and an A10 team sneaks in as an At Large it's irrelevant for us.
It's not irrelevant. It helps us financially. How about recruiting? Hey, play for us. We play in a conference whose only chance at a bid is the AQ. Or play for a conference that receives multiple bids a year? Option 2 sounds more intriguing.

There hasn't been an at large opportunity? Davidson has been an at large team until they lost to a bad A10 team named Rhode Island. They still, without question, can land a bid..St Louis is right in the mix. Dayton is on the outside, but it's possible.

I love that you're bringing up how great it would be for us to beat Davidson and Dayton but bash our conference. The A10 is not as bad as you have made it out to be all season.

One of the most accurate bracketologists said Davidson would be a first four team in after their loss to us.

Bashing the conference?
Teams with a NET of 59, 60, 61 are not likely to get an At Large Bid if they are in the A10.
That’s just reality.

And if Davidson lost to a bad URI team then they were never At Large caliber anyway. Guess that’s why they play the games.

So you bashing the team repeatedly, and the Coach and the assistant coaches helps recruiting for URI? Got it.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bashing the conference?
Teams with a NET of 59, 60, 61 are not likely to get an At Large Bid if they are in the A10.
That’s just reality.

So you bashing the team repeatedly, and the Coach and the assistant coaches helps recruiting for URI? Got it.
Recruiting? What's that?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

18 degrees now, expected 15 at game time
But should be a decent student turn out at 9pm tonight vs 2pm Saturday Record 60 degrees.
Crazy weather with snow yesterday and last night.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bashing the conference?
That’s just reality.

Recruiting? What's that?
Something that suffers for URI if I bring up on this board that the A10 will not get At Large Bid(s) this year.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bashing the conference?
That’s just reality.

You have been saying our conference has no chance at a bid the entire season. We debated whether Davidson still had a chance at a bid before they beat Bama. My point is this conference can still receive two bids.

I've been pessimistic about David Cox because of his results.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say playing in a strong conference that receives multiple bids is more critical to recruits than the KeaneyBlue message board.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not to the URI perspective recruits that read it.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bashing the conference?
That’s just reality.

Recruiting? What's that?
Something that suffers for URI if I bring up on this board that the A10 will not get At Large Bid(s) this year.
Huh?? I said playing in a strong conference that receives multiple bids can help recruit players here.

You or me bringing up how many bids we think the A10 will get has nothing to do with it.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Not to the URI perspective recruits that read it.
We have recruits? I looked at the Recruit thread. Who are we recruiting?
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Any decent program has message boards like ours with negative posts. Especially when your team has back-to-back bad seasons... If a recruit reads our message board and won't come here because he doesn't like that our fanbase wants a winning program, why would we want a player like that? 95% of the negative comments are about the coach underperforming.... Players arent' stupid. They know winning matters.

Anyways, let's win this game tonight and start a longggg winning streak.

Go Rhody.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Smith just announced A10 Rookie of the Week by A10

Dayton freshman Malachi Smith was chosen as the league’s Rookie of the Week. The awards were announced Monday and are for games played Feb. 7-13.
Smith handed out 17 assists while playing in 25.5 minutes in two Dayton wins. The guard from The Bronx, N.Y., had eight assists against one turnover with seven points in a victory over Duquesne. In the George Washington win, he had nine assists, three steals and five points. Serving in a playmaker role, Smith scored seven and five points, respectively, in last week's victories. He now has 48 steals this season, which ties the UD freshman record for steals.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Prospective recruits can read the win-loss columns in the standings, and a roster sheet with the years and playing time of guys at their position. I think both are far, far more relevant than what some jackasses are saying on a message board.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Prospective recruits can read the win-loss columns in the standings, and a roster sheet with the years and playing time of guys at their position. I think both are far, far more relevant than what some jackasses are saying on a message board.
…….jackasses…….I resemble that remark…….
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

First URI basketball game I watched in 2 years where I was legitimately excited and enjoyed what I was seeing. Can't wait for the Dayton game Wednesday.
Please don't get ejected from the women's game. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure they can, and do.
It’s not either/or
They read everything
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sure they can, and do.
It’s not either/or
They read everything
How many 4* players are we recruiting?
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago 18 degrees now, expected 15 at game time
But should be a decent student turn out at 9pm tonight vs 2pm Saturday Record 60 degrees.
The combination of very cold weather and a late game has me thinking a lot of the geriatric crowd will be watching from home tonight. I just walked the dog, and it is freaking cold and windy out.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Maybe the A10 has many good teams that beat up on one another when one team is hot. URI's main problem has been the shooting proficiency of our guards. When Shepp and Ish are on and the team makes FTs, we are tough to beat. Shepp and Ish came out of their funk against Davidson and this relieved the pressure on others.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe the A10 has many good teams that beat up on one another when one team is hot. URI's main problem has been the shooting proficiency of our guards. When Shepp and Ish are on and the team makes FTs, we are tough to beat. Shepp and Ish came out of their funk against Davidson and this relieved the pressure on others.
Sounds like the big east
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago 18 degrees now, expected 15 at game time
The combination of very cold weather and a late game has me thinking a lot of the geriatric crowd will be watching from home tonight. I just walked the dog, and it is freaking cold and windy out.
……..nope, we’re going………
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hey Blue Man>you going to the game tonight to root for Dayton and against you once beloved Ram student athletes. Let us fans know cause we don't want to be looking for you to see your reactions if you are staying home. You may want to stay home to think of more ways to kee saying the same thing over and over. We all know where you stand so do us all a favor and stay home so you don't embarrass yourself rooting for Dayton. I'll be there wishing we do not run into each other.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago Hey Blue Man>you going to the game tonight to root for Dayton and against you once beloved Ram student athletes. Let us fans know cause we don't want to be looking for you to see your reactions if you are staying home. You may want to stay home to think of more ways to kee saying the same thing over and over. We all know where you stand so do us all a favor and stay home so you don't embarrass yourself rooting for Dayton. I'll be there wishing we do not run into each other.
Rod always thought you were an ass. I agree.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago Hey Blue Man>you going to the game tonight to root for Dayton and against you once beloved Ram student athletes. Let us fans know cause we don't want to be looking for you to see your reactions if you are staying home. You may want to stay home to think of more ways to kee saying the same thing over and over. We all know where you stand so do us all a favor and stay home so you don't embarrass yourself rooting for Dayton. I'll be there wishing we do not run into each other.
…….ouch, is this necessary…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rod always thought you were an ass. I agree. I've also met Blue Man. Not sure how big you are, but my money is on Blue Man.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Lmao. Nope like most I’ll watch the clown show on TV.

I’ll be in the building on Weds though!

We can catch up on the course and see who’s swing survived the winter better - money’s on me!
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Classy.

Tell me how you’re a dip shit without telling me you’re a dip shit
3 x
:lol:
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Sparse crowd.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

damram wrote: 2 years agoSparse crowd.
Not too surprising I guess. Late start, valentine's day, poor performance of late. Tough sell.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Go Lehigh!!!
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Stupid Varsity Network app isn't offering our radio feed, so I have to listen to the CBSSN foofs.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

"David Cox is doing a tremendous job"
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m surprised how small.
I heard 500 students was the count but not that many students here.
1 x