2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/12 | Davidson | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

By far their best and most complete game this season.

Both Mitchells played well along with Walker.

Glad to see Jeremy finally woke up, good for him.

Nice effort on the boards today and shocked at their FT shooting, especially at crucial times down the stretch.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This loss is not killing Davidson.

It's a Q2 loss at the end of the day and they are the 10th team IN according to bracketmatrix with a Q1 opportunity left at Dayton plus the A-10 tournament.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Credit where its due, that's a nice win. One game doesn't change everything, but they did a lot of things well. We'll see where it goes from here.
I mean in the grand scheme of things this is a Q2 win at best. It could turn into a Q3 win with the slide Davidson will get losing to us.

It is cox’s “best” with his own guys. Which isn’t saying much.

But unless this spurns a miracle turnaround that ends in an A10 tournament win, this hurt the program long term. It’s closer to .500 by the end of the year and potentially could wind up being the reason we don’t make a coaching change and potentially extending cox.

Purgatory. The baron times are back.
If anything, I think a win like this highlights the coaching failure on the whole. This team is not perfectly constructed by any stretch, but it isn’t totally devoid of ability or potential. A game like this is a demonstration of that fact. But despite that potential, this year’s team and the program as a whole are in nowheresville. A more capable coach would have this roster in a position where they were at least still playing for something other than avoiding a game on the first day of the conference tournament.
A great point. Everything is so depressing lol
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I have never rooted for URI to lose for any reason in any sport. Those who post here as fans, root against URI in any sport are real trolls by definition. Claiming it is because of A10 teams making the NCAAT or getting a new coach is BS. GO ahead, get in a circle and defend one another!
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I have never rooted for URI to lose for any reason in any sport. Those who post here as fans, root against URI in any sport are real trolls by definition. Claiming it is because of A10 teams making the NCAAT or getting a new coach is BS. GO ahead, get in a circle and defend one another!
YAY!! We won a game!!!
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

No way , Blueram I know you are a big URI fan and I know you are better than to believe this was anything but a great win . The URI players played their hearts out and they deserve better than our fans worrying about the other teams in the A 10 at this moment . Let Davidson take care of Davidson .
Dayton , not Davidson is going to win the A 10 regular season title and an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament . Davidson will probably get in too .
Regardless, at this point in time I will thoroughly enjoy this victory as a fan of URI . I will worry about the other teams when an if the are selected
for the Dance. I have to say I am shocked by all the negativity on here . Players reading the board have to be very disheartened.
1 x
ghostofkeaney
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ghostofkeaney »

Great win. I had my doubts but they proved me wrong. Nice to see them all click for once!
0 x
Boo.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I have never rooted for URI to lose for any reason in any sport. Those who post here as fans, root against URI in any sport are real trolls by definition. Claiming it is because of A10 teams making the NCAAT or getting a new coach is BS. GO ahead, get in a circle and defend one another!
Go back to friar talk. Tell stories of your management success.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

luke wrote: 2 years ago No way , Blueram I know you are a big URI fan and I know you are better than to believe this was anything but a great win . The URI players played their hearts out and they deserve better than our fans worrying about the other teams in the A 10 at this moment . Let Davidson take care of Davidson .
Dayton , not Davidson is going to win the A 10 regular season title and an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament . Davidson will probably get in too .
Regardless, at this point in time I will thoroughly enjoy this victory as a fan of URI . I will worry about the other teams when an if the are selected
for the Dance. I have to say I am shocked by all the negativity on here . Players reading the board have to be very disheartened.
Negativity? URI is in 12th place in seeding for the A10 tournament. Now they beat Davidson, by the way fuck Davidson, and now the A10 is a 1 bid league. I did not enjoy the win. Just like I have not enjoyed all the losses.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody had a very nice offensive effort in the first half and played fairly solid defense the entire game. It was nice to see Makhi Mitchell fighting for the ball instead of trying to get a call. There were still a few times our players saw passing lanes that were not there but overall a very solid effort. Poorly officiated game glad it did not cost us.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I’m going to take time to post about the game. I’ll leave the macro view of what this could mean at season’s end alone for now.
Cox’s late game lineup management was good. That said, if you’re going to have Carey in the game late because of his athleticism and defense, you can’t have him as a primary ball handler on offense. He’s too loose with the ball.
Was I the only one thinking this when he almost turned it over, which ultimately led to a shot clock violation.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago 5BC38FE3-7742-4CFD-8817-8E2F9D7A869F.jpeg

Wow I haven't seen it that bad since Baron's last year. OR if we just had a huge snowstorm that kept people home.

If we are at the point where the coach is getting BOOs.

CUT BAIT!!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Where are the students? 101 empty.
Just catching up on this thread.

Mid 50s on a Saturday afternoon in February = many off campus darties.
It's been a long winter. I"m an old broad, I could totally go for a darty. I worked all day and just got home = catching up on this thread has been entertaining to say the least.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
YAY!! We won a game!!!

Did they have fun?!?! YAY!!! Sprinkles and jimmies for all!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Where are the students? 101 empty.

It's been a long winter. I"m an old broad, I could totally go for a darty. I worked all day and just got home = catching up on this thread has been entertaining to say the least.
You missed the darty. I had to break up a party as girls were peeing in my backyard.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
luke wrote: 2 years ago No way , Blueram I know you are a big URI fan and I know you are better than to believe this was anything but a great win . The URI players played their hearts out and they deserve better than our fans worrying about the other teams in the A 10 at this moment . Let Davidson take care of Davidson .
Negativity? URI is in 12th place in seeding for the A10 tournament. Now they beat Davidson, by the way fuck Davidson, and now the A10 is a 1 bid league. I did not enjoy the win. Just like I have not enjoyed all the losses.
Hahahahahha

This is Exhibit A of people choosing to be miserable for the sake of being miserable.
2 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

You missed the darty. I had to break up a party as girls were peeing in my backyard.
Mrs. blueram mentioned that to me just now. I can't believe it! At least be discreet in the afternoon -- darties require proper etiquette. :roll:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Hahahahahha

This is Exhibit A of people choosing to be miserable for the sake of being miserable.
I'm not miserable. I will be happy next month.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Hahahahahha

Anyone looking at “the bright side” here is part of the problem.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Mrs. blueram mentioned that to me just now. I can't believe it! At least be discreet in the afternoon -- darties require proper etiquette. :roll:
I mean girls, college girls, dropping their laundry in my back yard might get some going. But, enough is enough.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Hahahahahha

Maybe you won’t be when Thorr says I think we should give Cox one more try especially after that big win over Dayton. It is a nice win for URI, but Dayton is so overrated-check out their last 10 games. They have been very lucky which is why the A-10 is 100% a one bid league
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

Hahahahahha

Maybe you won’t be when Thorr says I think we should give Cox one more try especially after that big win over Dayton. It is a nice win for URI, but Dayton is so overrated-check out their last 10 games. They have been very lucky which is why the A-10 is 100% a one bid league
We beat DAVIDSON. Thanks for playing.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

With that, Ramstock out.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Totally agree with this. Who gives a crap if 2 A10 teams make the tourney unless one is us…and that’s not happening this year. Not sure why people are upset with a win. Kinda weird.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

As I said earlier, this is the main reason we won today:

Thanks to Davidson for reenacting the Kentucky - Texas Western 1966 championship game.
1 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

But really, where were the students? There were almost none in attendance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The number of A10 teams that get a bid does affect us financially, but not enough to make much of a difference.

The combination of a sucky team and a weekend.....many students go home on the weekends, also the weather today was nice, nice enough to bring on an early case of spring fever, and hanging out outside.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

This is probably the 50th or so game I’ve attended at the Ryan Center and it was the emptiest I can remember. Which is pathetic for mid February which is usually the best attended games.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I counted the number of students in the student section.....only because it was REALLY easy..........54......not kidding.......I didn't include the cheerleaders, ramettes or band members be cause they HAD to be there. So, 54 students decided to attend the game today against the top team in the league.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

My favorite part was the fact there were no students :)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

damram wrote: 2 years ago These refs are porking us big time.
I thought the call when Malik Martin had a breakaway, scored and got called for an offensive foul was a bad call. The Davidson guy got into the circle and took his position too late to draw the offensive foul call. That was the play when Malik was beside himself, ran all the way to the Davidson end of the court and squatted down holding his head in disbelief. Malik rarely questions calls so it's meaningful when he reacts like this.

All I could think is we lost the game at Davidson with the controversial call with Lee in the circle under the hoop, but this call day seemed clearly bad.

The crowd reacted to this call louder than any other call today.

Do you agree? and were there any others you saw?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I did see a call that Makhi was bitching about a foul call. Then it was announced that it was on Walker. So, he was bitching about a call that wasn't even on him.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I did see a call that Makhi was bitching about a foul call. Then it was announced that it was on Walker. So, he was bitching about a call that wasn't even on him.
Ramster is talking about a different play for sure. From half court it looked like the defender was out of the circle. Whether or not he had established position was tough to say.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

The flagrant on Ish, the ten second no call, and the flop on the three.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..nice win for the coach and especially the players…….does it change anything tonite in the eventual decision?……..no……..carry this over and beat Dayton……..then maybe we are onto something………avoid the play in games……and win a game in the tourney……..then we could be looking at an extension of sorts…….meh…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Students can't be bothered to be this bored with sub-mediocre basketball.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

damram wrote: 2 years ago The flagrant on Ish, the ten second no call, and the flop on the three.
Agree on all 3. The 10 second no call was a big miss.

What did you think on Malik’s offensive foul? I thought the defender got his position very late. Obviously Malik detested the call.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

People upset about their own team winning. It's truley astonishing...
3 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

The defender leaned. Malik made a slight move to the left.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Cox is here another year, absolutely NO ONE thinks that things will get any better.

Yeah with a new coach we probably won't be that good next year, but it's the prospect of getting better sooner instead of dragging things out another year, with the same shit results again.
4 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Students can't be bothered to be this bored with sub-mediocre basketball.
I wasn’t kidding when I said darties earlier. I remember the same thing happened at the St Joe’s game in 2020. My daughter loved to go to all the games and she had to slum it and sit with her parents because hardly any students showed up that afternoon.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I counted the number of students in the student section.....only because it was REALLY easy..........54......not kidding.......I didn't include the cheerleaders, ramettes or band members be cause they HAD to be there. So, 54 students decided to attend the game today against the top team in the league.

It was a warm and gorgeous afternoon BUT 54?!? That's paltry.

Again, whoever is doing the marketing has completely failed the team, the university, the fans, and the university community. Even when the team was nationally ranked, the team was still engaging with students on campus with giveaways, etc. Remember when they were knocking on doors in dorms giving away slices of pizza or some DD swag? Maybe that's not allowed due to COVID restrictions, but get creative -- step out of the box a bit.

Obligations kept me away from the game today or else I would have gone. That being said, aside from coaching staff, we can't have some numbnuts clown running a marking program. Maybe he knows it's a joke for him and that's why? It's embarrassing how much more PC does than URI. The Marketing AD is most likely a Spectrum financed/run position, which is fine, but put some f*cking effort in!! This is 2022. Not 1998. It's really easy to post to Instagram and Snapchat. I don't even see a live Ryan Center feed on IG. Can the RC staff not even access the Wifi? FFS, this is getting more emBARONsing by the day. Did they have to reinstall a CRT TV with a VHS in the locker room?

Get rid of the Marketing AD who does nothing and hire a handful of COB undergrads or MBA students to do his job. They'd at least have tenacity.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

scine20 wrote: 2 years ago This is probably the 50th or so game I’ve attended at the Ryan Center and it was the emptiest I can remember. Which is pathetic for mid February which is usually the best attended games.

OH yeah. February is prime time..... it's saddening what it has become. You know it's bad when your radio guys are thanking people for making the effort to attend a game.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If Cox is here another year, absolutely NO ONE thinks that things will get any better.

Yeah with a new coach we probably won't be that good next year, but it's the prospect of getting better sooner instead of dragging things out another year, with the same shit results again.
Dude. If this keeps up next season, they're not even gonna get URI squirrels into the building if they were given a free buffet of scraps from Hope.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Credit where its due, that's a nice win. One game doesn't change everything, but they did a lot of things well. We'll see where it goes from here.
I mean in the grand scheme of things this is a Q2 win at best. It could turn into a Q3 win with the slide Davidson will get losing to us.

It is cox’s “best” with his own guys. Which isn’t saying much.

But unless this spurns a miracle turnaround that ends in an A10 tournament win, this hurt the program long term. It’s closer to .500 by the end of the year and potentially could wind up being the reason we don’t make a coaching change and potentially extending cox.

Purgatory. The baron times are back.
If one random win at home over Davidson is the reason that we don't make a coaching change then we have much bigger issues and we're screwed either way.
11 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

As long as they extended their pinkies while they peed ...
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Wow this game was a pleasant surprise. I was floored to see a Mitchell twin go 5-6 from the free throw line. Someone ate their Wheaties.
Although, I have noticed that during some home games this season the team has tended to shoot better from the 3pt line.
Still not seeing much improvement overall from the team as the season's progressed. Hoping they can start to build some success & show some consistent improvement...starting with this game. Time will tell.
Last edited by The Dude 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Student section was empty. But as other have stated not to be unexpected

A 60 degree day partying or to watch a middling A10 team on a 6 game losing streak?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I’m going to take time to post about the game. I’ll leave the macro view of what this could mean at season’s end alone for now.
Cox’s late game lineup management was good. That said, if you’re going to have Carey in the game late because of his athleticism and defense, you can’t have him as a primary ball handler on offense. He’s too loose with the ball.
Was I the only one thinking this when he almost turned it over, which ultimately led to a shot clock violation.
Carey drove inside with about 2 minutes to go and that is tough to do especially against a Davidson interior defense. He lost control but to his credit he stayed with it fighting for the ball, retrieved it and called a very good timeout with 1:40 to go. That left URI with 1 time out remaining.

He is improving with his turnovers, but he doesn't need to drive inside with minutes remaining imho.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ghostofkeaney wrote: 2 years ago :roll: Good thing we called that timeout with 1:20 left
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago So Cox calls his last timeout and gives McKillop a chance to draw up a junk defense. Brilliant.
At 2:10 remaining Loyer hit a 3 to make the score 58-62.

Carey drove the lane and lost control of the ball. Carey dove on the floor gaining control of a loose ball. Excellent use of the Time Out in that case so Cox had 1 Time out left.

At 1:28 Makhi Mitchell made the block of the game as he blocked Lee's layup attempt and kept the ball inbounds with Makhel gaining control. Then at 1:20 Cox used his last time out. He was giving the team instructions with a 4 point lead. He wanted the ball in the hands of the best FT shooters.

In the last couple of minutes Cox was removing Makhi and Makhel when possible on offense because he wanted his best FT Shooters on the floor. He was anticipating Davidson fouling. He would then put Makhi and Makhel back in the game on defense, then remove them again on offense. He did this numerous times.

Sheppard and Leggett went 8-8 FTs after that Time Out at 1:20 to go. Maybe Cox told Sheppard and Leggett to relax and have fun shooting the FTs but whatever he did in the Time Out huddle it worked. Cox clearly wanted the ball in the hands of Leggett and Sheppard.
0 x