Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

I want URI's next Head Coach to be...

Poll ended at 6 years ago

John Becker
1%
David Cox
76%
Nate Oats
5%
Rick Pitino
13%
Other (please write-in)
5%

Total votes: 147

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Of course, it’s all a matter of interest and availability. I just think Drew is something you feasibly could target. For whatever reason I see Miller as a bigger reach even tho their career resumes are all that different.

IMO tho Dan was an up and comer he was pretty close to a slam dunk for a few reasons. Like Tammi Reiss it was immediately apparent on his will alone he was likely going to win. Just a matter of how long it would take. Once he signed EC and Hassan it was set in motion.
IMO, Archie's resume is better.

Archie, 6 years at Dayton, 4 ncaat, 1nit...4 years at IU, 1ncaat, 1 nit
Drew, 5 years at Valpo, 2 ncaat, 2 nit...3 years at Vandy, 1 ncaat

Don't hate on me, and I have only partially skimmed this thread, but for whatever reason, I think Archie, Mack, and Bobby Hurley are out of reach or not interested. I don't think they'd come to UD either if we had an opening, so it is not personal. A10 teams in general seem to end up having to take a chance on some up and comer with either limited or no head coaching experience, or take an experienced guy that doesn't wow you.

Look at the A10 recent history, when was the last time an A10 school landed somebody where you thought: wow, great hire. Travis Ford at SLU I suppose fits that description, but he has not set the world on fire there. His resume is pretty solid other than he struggles in the ncaat.

But, OTOH, Majerus at SLU was a hire where I did think: wow, great hire.

Sorry to be such a downer.
You're probably right. But we're all collectively circling the drain and I'm looking for a quick injection of happiness.

The "right" hire - i.e. the lower-level coach coming up to the A-10 is probably what's going to happen. But here's the biggest issue that RoadyJay brings up - you need someone obsessed with the off-the-court improvements like Hurley was.

A lower level guy getting his "shot" isn't going to have the cache to make demands like Dan Hurley did.

Certainly David Cox doesn't have the temperament to make demands, but again, as a new guy he can't really come with the "you're lucky to have me, make these investments or I won't be here long."

So while I agree, it's not likely that any of those names want to come to URI - let's play this scenario:

Tom Ryan is finally ashamed of this dumpster fire that calls the arena with his name on it home. He says, we're going big, and I'm going to put that Hurley level package in front of these guys.

A Chris Mack, Archie Miller, or Bobby Hurley type name will come with a demand and expectation to raise the level of what we do off the court.

A John Becker, Maciariello, etc type might be the "right guy" or safe guy -but they're not going to get/demand any of the improvements we need from an infrastructure perspective.

So yes, while I understand it's not likely that a) Tom Ryan/Soloviev/someone wants to put a serious package up for a basketball coach here, or b) those guys want to drop back down to this level - that's my wishlist as a fan. Not a reality, but reality as a URI fan sucks ass so we're going to live here for the next few months.
Okay with Becker depending on his staff, no to Carmen at Siena.

Tom Crean is probably gone at Georgia.
Both him and Turg have won at high levels.
I know they aren't fan favorites, and their personalities push some people away.

I would also have Dennis Gates high on the list, but his next move will probably be bigger than us.

I put John Groce in the same category as Bryce Drew, good candidates but maybe longshots.
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

So now that the dozen or so of us users have been playing hypotheticals for over two weeks now I have to ask... Is there not a single user on this site that has some sort of credible inside information?!

There has to be someone who works at URI or inside admin or in the program that can just throw us a bone. Like start small - whats the buzz? - Is Cox gone at the end of the season?

We need something... I cant keep playing these games. Checking this board constantly is becoming addicting and I am not getting any work done (lol).
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

I think Mack or Miller are more "realistic" than Bobby. Beyond the fact that it's the school his brother coached at, it's also the school that would be (essentially) firing his brother's lead assistant, that Dan felt strongly enough to include a contract clause about. If Bobby gets fired by Arizona State, he's going to get plenty of interest from URI-level programs that don't come with all of the baggage of the job.
Bobby isn't coming to coach here, but I don't think it's because URI would be firing his brother's former lead assistant. I'm sure if Dan is looking at what's happening here that he's as disappointed for Cox as all of us are — but surely he's smart enough to recognize that this is a business and that that former lead assistant has squandered every nice thing he inherited.
I would bet that there's a significant part of Dan that's angry Cox was able to disassemble everything he built in such a short time. Then again, probably a part of his ego that might enjoy the fact that he was able to win at a place that not a lot of other coaches could.
Dan cares a lot about Rhody, and he very much wanted it to work out. Cox was up at UConn prior to the season. He likes creating professional opportunities for his guys and wants all his assistants to get head coaching jobs if they want them, even if it makes his job tougher. He’s always talking up his assistants (Luke and Kimani right now). Dan still cares about what goes on with his former team and maintains relationships with people in and around the program. It’s all just really frustrating.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago

Bobby isn't coming to coach here, but I don't think it's because URI would be firing his brother's former lead assistant. I'm sure if Dan is looking at what's happening here that he's as disappointed for Cox as all of us are — but surely he's smart enough to recognize that this is a business and that that former lead assistant has squandered every nice thing he inherited.
I would bet that there's a significant part of Dan that's angry Cox was able to disassemble everything he built in such a short time. Then again, probably a part of his ego that might enjoy the fact that he was able to win at a place that not a lot of other coaches could.
Dan cares a lot about Rhody, and he very much wanted it to work out. Cox was up at UConn prior to the season. He likes creating professional opportunities for his guys and wants all his assistants to get head coaching jobs if they want them, even if it makes his job tougher. He’s always talking up his assistants (Luke and Kimani right now). Dan still cares about what goes on with his former team and maintains relationships with people in and around the program. It’s all just really frustrating.
Ace, what's your opinion on Luke. Is he head coaching material?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago

IMO, Archie's resume is better.

Archie, 6 years at Dayton, 4 ncaat, 1nit...4 years at IU, 1ncaat, 1 nit
Drew, 5 years at Valpo, 2 ncaat, 2 nit...3 years at Vandy, 1 ncaat

Don't hate on me, and I have only partially skimmed this thread, but for whatever reason, I think Archie, Mack, and Bobby Hurley are out of reach or not interested. I don't think they'd come to UD either if we had an opening, so it is not personal. A10 teams in general seem to end up having to take a chance on some up and comer with either limited or no head coaching experience, or take an experienced guy that doesn't wow you.

Look at the A10 recent history, when was the last time an A10 school landed somebody where you thought: wow, great hire. Travis Ford at SLU I suppose fits that description, but he has not set the world on fire there. His resume is pretty solid other than he struggles in the ncaat.

But, OTOH, Majerus at SLU was a hire where I did think: wow, great hire.

Sorry to be such a downer.
You're probably right. But we're all collectively circling the drain and I'm looking for a quick injection of happiness.

The "right" hire - i.e. the lower-level coach coming up to the A-10 is probably what's going to happen. But here's the biggest issue that RoadyJay brings up - you need someone obsessed with the off-the-court improvements like Hurley was.

A lower level guy getting his "shot" isn't going to have the cache to make demands like Dan Hurley did.

Certainly David Cox doesn't have the temperament to make demands, but again, as a new guy he can't really come with the "you're lucky to have me, make these investments or I won't be here long."

So while I agree, it's not likely that any of those names want to come to URI - let's play this scenario:

Tom Ryan is finally ashamed of this dumpster fire that calls the arena with his name on it home. He says, we're going big, and I'm going to put that Hurley level package in front of these guys.

A Chris Mack, Archie Miller, or Bobby Hurley type name will come with a demand and expectation to raise the level of what we do off the court.

A John Becker, Maciariello, etc type might be the "right guy" or safe guy -but they're not going to get/demand any of the improvements we need from an infrastructure perspective.

So yes, while I understand it's not likely that a) Tom Ryan/Soloviev/someone wants to put a serious package up for a basketball coach here, or b) those guys want to drop back down to this level - that's my wishlist as a fan. Not a reality, but reality as a URI fan sucks ass so we're going to live here for the next few months.
Okay with Becker depending on his staff, no to Carmen at Siena.

Tom Crean is probably gone at Georgia.
Both him and Turg have won at high levels.
I know they aren't fan favorites, and their personalities push some people away.

I would also have Dennis Gates high on the list, but his next move will probably be bigger than us.

I put John Groce in the same category as Bryce Drew, good candidates but maybe longshots.
It's gotta be somebody whose been a head coach before with some success.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, absolutely. He is smart and obsessive and meticulous in that crazy way that all good coaches are. He builds great relationships when recruiting and remembers everything. He also has endless connections in the game and would be able to put together a really strong staff.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, absolutely. He is smart and obsessive and meticulous in that crazy way that all good coaches are. He builds great relationships when recruiting and remembers everything. He also has endless connections in the game and would be able to put together a really strong staff.
Would he have any interest in coming back here?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..Luke Murray……..do we really want the assistant route, with no HC success?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If I was to make a guess, he will not be our next HC.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If I was to make a guess, he will not be our next HC.
I don't think he will be either. I just wanted to hear Ace's opinion on him.
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..Luke Murray……..do we really want the assistant route, with no HC success?
We live (unfortunately) with the transfer portal now. Not sure a floundering program and unproven coach is a "recipe for success there. A proven coach can sell the phoenix rising" much like Dan did with EC.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Thorr, please do it now. DO NOT WAIT. Every day might be a lost opportunity. Strike while the iron is hot.
MOVE ON NOW!!!!!!! eg tomorrow!!!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Thorr, please do it now. DO NOT WAIT. Every day might be a lost opportunity. Strike while the iron is hot.
Thorr isn't going to pull the trigger now.

Most of the candidates are probably still coaching.
Not sure what you mean by lost opportunity.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Every great head coach had a first job. URI is above that? Let's instead hire a guy who was fired from his last job. Vanderbilt was 0-18 in conference in Drew's last year. Archie Miller never had a winning conference record at Indiana. Well at least there won't be any OJT.
Fwiw every college coach gets fired from their last job. That year Vandy collapsed was a myriad of issues including injuries. He’s 157-61 as a mid major coach, is that good? Was a high IQ point guard from a basketball family. We had a lot of success with someone of a very similar pedigree.
There is no chance Bryce Drew would leave GCU to go to URI.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Only one person's opinion matters and he had two years exposure to Murray and his assessment is very similar to Ace's.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Only one person's opinion matters and he had two years exposure to Murray and his assessment is very similar to Ace's.
Was Murray considered by Thorr 4 years ago? I never remember hearing his name back then.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bigsnoop wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Every great head coach had a first job. URI is above that? Let's instead hire a guy who was fired from his last job. Vanderbilt was 0-18 in conference in Drew's last year. Archie Miller never had a winning conference record at Indiana. Well at least there won't be any OJT.
Fwiw every college coach gets fired from their last job. That year Vandy collapsed was a myriad of issues including injuries. He’s 157-61 as a mid major coach, is that good? Was a high IQ point guard from a basketball family. We had a lot of success with someone of a very similar pedigree.
Beach, desert, beach, desert....I really love both, I think I'd miss the ocean more.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It all depends on his salary and his options. I don’t have much intel in either.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

He makes double what Cox makes, has far better facilities, better arena, better crowd support, etc. If he leaves, it will be for a major conference job.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Where do you see his salary? Can only see that he made 375k at Valpo and then looks like 1.8 at Vandy but can’t find his GCU salary. If he’s making double what Cox makes then his salary is 1.5ish and if so he can’t be bought.

In terms of facilities and fan support when you win at Rhody you are playing to 7k in a beautiful arena so not sure those are discerning factors. He’s still in a 1 bid league playing Tarleton and Cal Baptist let’s not make GCU out to be something it’s not.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Where do you see his salary? Can only see that he made 375k at Valpo and then looks like 1.8 at Vandy but can’t find his GCU salary. If he’s making double what Cox makes then his salary is 1.5ish and if so he can’t be bought.

In terms of facilities and fan support when you win at Rhody you are playing to 7k in a beautiful arena so not sure those are discerning factors. He’s still in a 1 bid league playing Tarleton and Cal Baptist let’s not make GCU out to be something it’s not.
Anyone can be bought - it's just about the price. And by price, I don't mean their salary - but what are we willing to commit to?

Hurley, despite what some think, didn't chase the money. Of course that comes with the territory, but he chased an organization that wanted to win as bad as he did - but took it further and actually provided him the tools to win. He didn't have to beg, borrow, or steal to get things done.

We promised a practice facility - they have one.
We promised increased assistant coaches pay - they had that.
We promised charter flights - they do that.

...we still don't have all of those things. So why would any coach want to come down to this level if we don't want to try to be better? Most of our fans are cool with just being this podunk basketball program in the middle of farmland and just happy to have a basketball team to go see. Until that changes, we won't get/don't deserve anyone to bring us back to a Hurley level.

We can get any coach we want - I seriously believe that. But no coach is going to come down to the A-10 if we haven't stepped up to operate like a big boy program.

If I were Tom Ryan, I'd be ashamed of what was happening in the building with my name on it.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Where do you see his salary? Can only see that he made 375k at Valpo and then looks like 1.8 at Vandy but can’t find his GCU salary. If he’s making double what Cox makes then his salary is 1.5ish and if so he can’t be bought.

Anyone can be bought - it's just about the price. And by price, I don't mean their salary - but what are we willing to commit to?

Hurley, despite what some think, didn't chase the money. Of course that comes with the territory, but he chased an organization that wanted to win as bad as he did - but took it further and actually provided him the tools to win. He didn't have to beg, borrow, or steal to get things done.

We promised a practice facility - they have one.
We promised increased assistant coaches pay - they had that.
We promised charter flights - they do that.

...we still don't have all of those things. So why would any coach want to come down to this level if we don't want to try to be better? Most of our fans are cool with just being this podunk basketball program in the middle of farmland and just happy to have a basketball team to go see. Until that changes, we won't get/don't deserve anyone to bring us back to a Hurley level.

We can get any coach we want - I seriously believe that. But no coach is going to come down to the A-10 if we haven't stepped up to operate like a big boy program.

If I were Tom Ryan, I'd be ashamed of what was happening in the building with my name on it.
I very much agree with what you wrote, but at the same time if Tom Ryan was that embarrassed he has the means to do something about it
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

All true BAR and I think Bryce would be a good candidate.
Just not sure he would be interested.

GCU is having a decent year and many of the players will be back next season.
The WAC also has some good teams New Mexico State, Stephen Austin, Sam Houston.
Granted it isn't as good as the A10 but better than many Mid-Majors.
New Mexico State is a strong program and Chris Jans is as good as any coach in the A10.
They also beat Davidson by double digits this season.

GCU basketball arena is comparable to the RC and newer.

It would be nice if Bryce shows interest in us, but I think if he leaves GCU it will be for a bigger program than ours.
He will have a good team again next year and we will be a total rebuild.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Drew signed at $1.38 million and got a $125,000 bump for making the NCAA tournament last year. Facilities is more than the arena, and nothing against the Ryan Center, but GCU's arena is gorgeous, and their training facilities are closer to Big East caliber than WAC. While the conference is below the A10, they've added recent NCAA schools like Abilene Christian, Stephen F Austin, and Sam Houston to the league. All new schools had to make an increased financial commitment to athletics and basketball in particular as a condition of admission. Tarleton for example hired former Kentucky and Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie as coach and it's building a $16 million practice facility.

The point of all this is the URI does nothing to get Drew closer to a power conference than he already has at GCU. I think the best thing for URI would be to get a top assistant at a major school who has proven he can recruit, especially in the Northeast. Someone like DeAndre Haynes at Marquette (formerly at Maryland) or George Halcovage at Villanova. Otherwise, get a hungry coach at a lower level who can enhance his resumé with a run of success at Rhody. Despite what's been said here, Jared Grasso would be a great choice for URI
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jared Grasso would be a terrible choice and makes me question the rest of what you wrote. Completely wrong temperament and the same bullshit Tim Cluess' style of basketball that teams outside of the smallest conferences destroy
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Thorr, please do it now. DO NOT WAIT. Every day might be a lost opportunity. Strike while the iron is hot.
Thorr isn't going to pull the trigger now.

Most of the candidates are probably still coaching.
Not sure what you mean by lost opportunity.
Yeah I don't get the 'lost opportunity' thing. It's not like there are available coaches being gobbled up by other teams right now that URI is missing out on.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Drew signed at $1.38 million and got a $125,000 bump for making the NCAA tournament last year. Facilities is more than the arena, and nothing against the Ryan Center, but GCU's arena is gorgeous, and their training facilities are closer to Big East caliber than WAC. While the conference is below the A10, they've added recent NCAA schools like Abilene Christian, Stephen F Austin, and Sam Houston to the league. All new schools had to make an increased financial commitment to athletics and basketball in particular as a condition of admission. Tarleton for example hired former Kentucky and Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie as coach and it's building a $16 million practice facility.

The point of all this is the URI does nothing to get Drew closer to a power conference than he already has at GCU. I think the best thing for URI would be to get a top assistant at a major school who has proven he can recruit, especially in the Northeast. Someone like DeAndre Haynes at Marquette (formerly at Maryland) or George Halcovage at Villanova. Otherwise, get a hungry coach at a lower level who can enhance his resumé with a run of success at Rhody. Despite what's been said here, Jared Grasso would be a great choice for URI
Well yeah if those figures are correct then we wouldn't have the ability to make a compelling financial offer I figured he was moreso in the mid to high six figure range. That said, I'm lukewarm on the assistant route and no one excites me in that group. If we are going to go with someone more unproven I would prefer the low major HC route with someone you believe is on the upward trajectory (Holloway, Mason). And while Grasso fits in that category I'm definitely not sold on him.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Grasso to UMass
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well yeah if those figures are correct then we wouldn't have the ability to make a compelling financial offer I figured he was moreso in the mid to high six figure range. That said, I'm lukewarm on the assistant route and no one excites me in that group. If we are going to go with someone more unproven I would prefer the low major HC route with someone you believe is on the upward trajectory (Holloway, Mason). And while Grasso fits in that category I'm definitely not sold on him.
I am a no on Grasso also.
In the Holloway and Mason group I would also add Robert Jones.
If they go that direction my favorite would be Dennis Gates by far.

Of a realistic candidate that had success in the mid- majors but struggled at Illinois his last several seasons is John Groce.
He is currently doing a good job with Akron.

John Becker should definitely be on the short list for us.

Also, there will probably be some interesting names popping up after the season.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

If you guys don't think Grasso would be a major improvement, I don't know what to say. He took over a program that was falling apart (3-23 in the previous year and 20-73 in the previous 3 years), and hit them winning within 3 years. He's shown he can recruit and develop players.
Holloway would be another good choice, but I suspect he'll be in the hunt for the Seton Hall job if Willard leaves.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

If you guys don't think Grasso would be a major improvement, I don't know what to say. He took over a program that was falling apart (3-23 in the previous year and 20-73 in the previous 3 years), and hit them winning within 3 years. He's shown he can recruit and develop players.
Holloway would be another good choice, but I suspect he'll be in the hunt for the Seton Hall job if Willard leaves.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Bigsnoop wrote: 2 years ago If you guys don't think Grasso would be a major improvement, I don't know what to say. He took over a program that was falling apart (3-23 in the previous year and 20-73 in the previous 3 years), and hit them winning within 3 years. He's shown he can recruit and develop players.
Ya, I've brought up Grasso a few times on here and people acted like it was a crazy option. I could give a shit about him being obnoxious on the sidelines. I want someone that gets results and his resume speaks for itself. He wouldn't be my top choice but he's an upgrade from Cox.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

His resume does speak for itself. His teams only chuck up 3's and don't play defense, the Cluess' system. That works great against low level competition, but gets destroyed by mid-majors and above
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friday November 12, 2021 - this years schedule

URI - Cox 83
Bryant - Grasso 64

Think Little We Do
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Friday November 12, 2021 - this years schedule

URI - Cox 83
Bryant - Grasso 64

Think Little We Do
They have the same players?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago His resume does speak for itself. His teams only chuck up 3's and don't play defense, the Cluess' system. That works great against low level competition, but gets destroyed by mid-majors and above
I think there is an argument to be made that if he can recruit and land better players, then maybe he isn't forced to play that style. However, I kind of think that we'll be attractive enough to head coaching candidates that we don't need to be the guinea pig for seeing whether or not he can adapt.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

URI - Cox 83
Bryant - Grasso 64

Think Little We Do
We should beat them! They are a low major who played us without their best player. Kiss averages 23.6 ppg, so I'm sure he would have helped.. Regardless, Do you not understand how hard it is to recruit at Bryant? They were one of if not the worst team in the entire country... So that he has even made them relevant is a huge achievement. Grasso inherited a 3-28 team. Cox inherited one of the hottest programs in the A10.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Grasso to UMass
………or Tres Mitchell’s mother’s boy friend…….his dream job…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bigsnoop wrote: 2 years ago If you guys don't think Grasso would be a major improvement, I don't know what to say. He took over a program that was falling apart (3-23 in the previous year and 20-73 in the previous 3 years), and hit them winning within 3 years. He's shown he can recruit and develop players.
Well let's be honest with how it's going the head coach of Roger Williams might be a major improvement. That said I think we can do better than Grasso. My take on him is he gives me major Derek Kellogg vibes. He can definitely recruit and in that conference you can win with overwhelming talent and also mask some coaching deficiencies at the same time. Kiss and Pride are both at least legit mid major stars if not more. The run and chuck style won't work in the A10. I could care less about the sideline antics one way or the other. Just think we can do better.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago His resume does speak for itself. His teams only chuck up 3's and don't play defense, the Cluess' system. That works great against low level competition, but gets destroyed by mid-majors and above
Metrics-wise (KenPom):

URI
Offensive Efficiency: 235th nationally
Defensive Efficiency: 49th

Bryant
Offensive Efficiency: 136th
Defensive Efficiency: 260th

You'd think Bryant's offensive efficiency would be higher given that they score a shit-ton of points, but it's largely because they play at the 15th-fastest pace in the nation. URI is 213th in that category.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Metrics-wise (KenPom):

URI
Offensive Efficiency: 235th nationally
Defensive Efficiency: 49th

Bryant
Offensive Efficiency: 136th
Defensive Efficiency: 260th

You'd think Bryant's offensive efficiency would be higher given that they score a shit-ton of points, but it's largely because they play at the 15th-fastest pace in the nation. URI is 213th in that category.
FWIW, I'm almost certain that KenPom's numbers account for pace. Like the URI vs. VCU game the other night was bad offense vs. bad offense, but the pace kind of masked that.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I love how some are you are acting like it's some easy task to take over the program he did and turn it into what it is now. It's ridiculous if you think it's as simple as, hey, go shoot 3's and make sure you don't play any defense... I don't love their style of play either but give the guy some credit.

Not many players are dying to play at Smithfield RI, in an arena that seats maybe 2000... But, he does what he can to win at this level. . I have a friend involved at Bryant, and he tells me Grasso is relentless with recruiting, scouting opponents, and his players love him. Speaking to some of his players in Daytona, they confirmed that. I love that in a coach..

Anyways, we will hire someone better than Grasso, but I think he will be a successful mid major coach down the road.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Give me John Becker all day over Jared Grasso.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Give me John Becker all day over Jared Grasso.
This misses a big variable. What's the funding going to look like for assistants and recruiting? If I knew the staff was going to be weak, give me Becker. If I knew I could spend a little, give me Grasso and I wouldn't think twice about it. Pay up for some P5 assistants that want to move up a seat on the bench. Maybe get an old head in there (Al?) who just wants to talk and coach basketball at this stage. Becker will make this team respectable but I think Grasso has the ceiling. And it looks like he knows how to build out a 21st century offense.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
I love how some are you are acting like it's some easy task to take over the program he did and turn it into what it is now. It's ridiculous if you think it's as simple as, hey, go shoot 3's and make sure you don't play any defense... I don't love their style of play either but give the guy some credit.

Not many players are dying to play at Smithfield RI, in an arena that seats maybe 2000... But, he does what he can to win at this level. . I have a friend involved at Bryant, and he tells me Grasso is relentless with recruiting, scouting opponents, and his players love him. Speaking to some of his players in Daytona, they confirmed that. I love that in a coach..

Anyways, we will hire someone better than Grasso, but I think he will be a successful mid major coach down the road.
I've never said he's done a bad job, just that he's not a good fit for URI because of his gimmick system. It's the same reason Tim Cluess never advanced beyond Iona. But also spare me this "poor Grasso, how on earth can someone possibly recruit to Bryant" act too. This is the conference they're in:

Bryant, Smithfield, RI, 2670 capacity
Central CT, New Britain, CT, 2654 or 3200 depending on where you look
Fairleigh Dickinson, Hackensack, NJ, just under 3000
Long Island University, Brooklyn, NY, 2500
Merrimack, North Andover, MA, 1200
Mount Saint Mary's, Emmitsburg, MD, 3121
Sacred Heart, Fairfield, CT, 2062,
Saint Francis, Brooklyn, NY, 1200
Saint Francis, Loretto, PA, 3500
Wagner, Staten Island, NY, 2100

When you factor in their facilities, their aggressive approach to improving athletics, and their academic reputation for business, Bryant is one of the best schools in their conference. Coaches should win at that school for their level
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yeah I'm out on Grasso. Nothing he did when I watched the Bryant game wow'd me with adjustments.

Like Hurley, Grasso has a "style" that he's going to play no matter what. That style plays really well at lower levels that don't have a lot of talent to compete. And also once in a while when you're having a hot shooting night. It's a fun cinderella story to follow.

When you play in a better conference night in/night out, against better coaches, they will shut you down and Grasso will have nothing for it.

If I were a Bryant fan I'd be thrilled with Grasso. I just don't think his style translates to where our supposed "bar" is.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

URI - Cox 83
Bryant - Grasso 64

Think Little We Do
We should beat them! They are a low major who played us without their best player. Kiss averages 23.6 ppg, so I'm sure he would have helped.. Regardless, Do you not understand how hard it is to recruit at Bryant? They were one of if not the worst team in the entire country... So that he has even made them relevant is a huge achievement. Grasso inherited a 3-28 team. Cox inherited one of the hottest programs in the A10.
Did you go to the URI - Bryant game this year?
Did you see how Grasso acted and conducted himself?
That sealed it for me.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Bashir Mason.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Well let's be honest with how it's going the head coach of Roger Williams might be a major improvement. That said I think we can do better than Grasso. My take on him is he gives me major Derek Kellogg vibes. He can definitely recruit and in that conference you can win with overwhelming talent and also mask some coaching deficiencies at the same time. Kiss and Pride are both at least legit mid major stars if not more. The run and chuck style won't work in the A10. I could care less about the sideline antics one way or the other. Just think we can do better.
His sideline antic that sealed for me was when the game got away from him the last several minutes of the game he went and sat on his bench. He didn’t sit all game, he was active but when the game looked lost he gave up, looked like he was pouting on the bench. I thought then what kind of leader is this? All the hoopla I’d heard about him was lost in me. He should coach his team right to the end of the game regardless of the score. I sat close by the Brant bench - very disappointing look from him and his players were poorly controlled as well. If you think our guys get too many unnecessary technicals Bryant is way worse.

Why would URI want to go from Hurley to Cox for 4 years and then go with Grasso? Can’t believe we are even talking about this guy as a possible option.

And his players like him? Great. Read up on the recent Bryant - Long Island University battle with all the technical fouls called. Derek Kellogg vs Jarad Grasso - should be of no surprise that rediculous excuse for a basketball game took place.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And I’ll add Peter Kiss missed the URI game for reasons other than injury - he was kept out. And his attitude and demeanor on the bench and while standing around the time-out huddles was not the best.
0 x