2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He probably realizes that he'll be unemployed again very soon......

Doesn't look like he helped Cox very much..or if he tried, it hasn't worked.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Bozeman looks like he's here just to collect a check
I've never seen an assistant look so disinterested on the bench. He definitely is.
…….he used to seem to much more engaged during games……..this is among the things I want to look at on the bench, I have pretty good view…….he used to sit next to and talk with players coming back to bench……..hopefully he as not discussing the weekend football games…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

-Every program that passed on the Rick
RhowdyRam just wants a choir boy head coach.
Yeah all those Auburn, Iona, and Houston fans really struggle to look in the mirror these days. The pain they feel must be unbearable.

Everyone conveniently forgets that Todd Bozeman was paying recruits and got hit with a show-cause - yet everyone on here was so supportive of bringing on someone with so much experience! In fact I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to bring that up on the board....but David Cox would NEVER have someone like that around the program. Ty Boswell was an upstanding citizen. Nothing dirty going on there!

In fact - 2 days ago -
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Bozeman isn't the long term answer, but he's plenty qualified to get this team to the finish line.
Why weren't you clutching your pearls here? Demanding someone so dirty be far away from this program?

Get off your high horse. If you don't like rooting for "dirty" people than college basketball isn't the sport for you.

Right now I'm rooting for the team I have loved since I was 3 years old to lose so they can fire their coach and start over. If Saddam Hussein had a cohesive offensive philosophy and could get his team to commit to defensive principles I'd be rallying for him and so would you. Stop being so sanctimonious.
How is it sanctimonious to say I don't have a problem with people that go up against the NCAA, but do have a problem with people that break real federal laws and an ex coach that abused an alum that I'm fond of? Those seem like easy to digest lines in the sand. If you have no lines in the sand, good for you I guess, but I do, not that they matter one way or the other outside of this board
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah all those Auburn, Iona, and Houston fans really struggle to look in the mirror these days. The pain they feel must be unbearable.

Everyone conveniently forgets that Todd Bozeman was paying recruits and got hit with a show-cause - yet everyone on here was so supportive of bringing on someone with so much experience! In fact I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to bring that up on the board....but David Cox would NEVER have someone like that around the program. Ty Boswell was an upstanding citizen. Nothing dirty going on there!

In fact - 2 days ago -
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Bozeman isn't the long term answer, but he's plenty qualified to get this team to the finish line.
Why weren't you clutching your pearls here? Demanding someone so dirty be far away from this program?

Get off your high horse. If you don't like rooting for "dirty" people than college basketball isn't the sport for you.

Right now I'm rooting for the team I have loved since I was 3 years old to lose so they can fire their coach and start over. If Saddam Hussein had a cohesive offensive philosophy and could get his team to commit to defensive principles I'd be rallying for him and so would you. Stop being so sanctimonious.
How is it sanctimonious to say I don't have a problem with people that go up against the NCAA, but do have a problem with people that break real federal laws and an ex coach that abused an alum that I'm fond of? Those seem like easy to digest lines in the sand. If you have no lines in the sand, good for you I guess, but I do, not that they matter one way or the other outside of this board
Answer this honestly.

Do you really think fans of Auburn, Kansas, LSU, Iona, Houston, are pissed off at the current success of their schools because their coaches broke the rules?

It is top notch troll status you actually saying you'd be pissed off if Pitino was our coach and we were ranked, heading to the tournament.

You don't actually believe that, and none of us think you do either.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

In fact - 2 days ago -

As I said, I would hire Murphy back in a second as an assistant once he becomes available.
I felt his penalty was unjust.

Definitely a big no for Mike Rice, he did nothing positive for Rutgers.
I have no problem with that attitude. I didn't think Rice was a good coach either.

I think everyone would welcome Preston back with open arms as an assistant - though personally I'm all set with the "first time head coach" scenario.

I just don't get why people are pretending that our guys cheat the right way but we don't have the appetite for the type of cheating that other people do. It's just classic pearl clutching and virtue signaling - but turning a blind eye if they're your guys.

Bozeman was also given a restraining order against a student at Cal and was accused of sexual harassment.

But no he's plenty qualified because he's already a Ram!

Go get good coaches and win basketball games.
In fairness, I don't remember saying anything positive about bringing Bozeman in and I remember specifically saying people who thought it was going to bring about a big change in the program were probably going to be sadly mistaken. Like I said in my last post, my opinion isn't even heard outside of this message board, so whether I think Bozeman should or should not be here is irrelevant. Now that he's here, yes, I think having him finish out the year as head coach is preferable to Cox and both should be gone one way or the other as of March 15th
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

In fact - 2 days ago -

So we're cool with Bozeman's sexual harassment too?

Just trying to gauge the lines.

And would you be less ok or more ok with it if he weren't our coach?

Solicitation of bribes is a federal crime. There are like 5000 federal laws and 300,000 federal regulations the FBI can choose to investigate. Most of what we shrug off as "NCAA violations" are in fact, federal crimes. Now - why the FBI is worried about college basketball, and not other more important things is a different story.

But the wrong FBI agent gets his dander up at the wrong coach for whatever reason, and you have a federal investigation.

I just don't understand why that's your standard for line drawing. I'm legitimately trying to a) understand and b) get you to realize that if you draw that line that you won't root for what you see as "criminal" then you really won't have anyone to root for in this sport if you're watching long enough.

Just say the guys a douche and you don't like him, that I can get behind. But if you try to apply your morals into such an immoral space as college and grassroots basketball, you'll wind up twisting your brain so you can root for anyone.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In fact - 2 days ago -

Answer this honestly.

Do you really think fans of Auburn, Kansas, LSU, Iona, Houston, are pissed off at the current success of their schools because their coaches broke the rules?

It is top notch troll status you actually saying you'd be pissed off if Pitino was our coach and we were ranked, heading to the tournament.

You don't actually believe that, and none of us think you do either.
I think the vast, vast majority are happier than pigs in shit. I'm sure there are some that are more concerned with their entire university as opposed to their athletic department that aren't. The same has been true and will be true here. I have no illusions that my opinion is close to the majority opinion, but it is an honestly held opinion whether people want to believe it or not, and I have a right to say it on a message board
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In fact - 2 days ago -

Solicitation of bribes is a federal crime. There are like 5000 federal laws and 300,000 federal regulations the FBI can choose to investigate. Most of what we shrug off as "NCAA violations" are in fact, federal crimes. Now - why the FBI is worried about college basketball, and not other more important things is a different story.

But the wrong FBI agent gets his dander up at the wrong coach for whatever reason, and you have a federal investigation.

I just don't understand why that's your standard for line drawing. I'm legitimately trying to a) understand and b) get you to realize that if you draw that line that you won't root for what you see as "criminal" then you really won't have anyone to root for in this sport if you're watching long enough.

Just say the guys a douche and you don't like him, that I can get behind. But if you try to apply your morals into such an immoral space as college and grassroots basketball, you'll wind up twisting your brain so you can root for anyone.
Where did I say I was cool with Bozeman, sexual harassment or otherwise? I think the strongest thing I said in support was saying I hope it works out after he was hired
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The energy level on the bench is near comatose, just like the enthusiasm for the program at this moment. Let’s be honest I’m most looking forward to the coaching search more than any other games this season.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Where did I say I was cool with Bozeman, sexual harassment or otherwise? I think the strongest thing I said in support was saying I hope it works out after he was hired
Then why aren't you as passionately voicing a plea for his dismissal as you are against Pitino or anyone else who's run afoul of your morality requirements?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I don't know - I always thought the railing against the cheaters was simply due to jealousy. I know it is with me. I'm jealous that URI can't compete with the pockets of the big boys of the sport. Having the NCAA crack down was a way to level the playing field. But if URI could afford to pull off strong-ass offers, I'd just say it's a victimless crime and the FBI should focus on harmful crimes. I'm also just a shmuck on a message board so who knows if I'm alone in my beliefs here.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago strong-ass offers
I see what you did there.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I don't know - I always thought the railing against the cheaters was simply due to jealousy. I know it is with me. I'm jealous that URI can't compete with the pockets of the big boys of the sport. Having the NCAA crack down was a way to level the playing field. But if URI could afford to pull off strong-ass offers, I'd just say it's a victimless crime and the FBI should focus on harmful crimes. I'm also just a shmuck on a message board so who knows if I'm alone in my beliefs here.
Preach.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Talk about a school being on the hook with a coach.
Look at Fred Hoiberg and Nebraska:
21-22 B10 record: 0-12
19-22 B10 record: 5-46

"That means Hoiberg would be owed $18.5 million if he were fired after this season — $3.5 million for each of the five years after this season plus the $1 million in retention bonuses."

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/ ... 323f0.html
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago I don't know - I always thought the railing against the cheaters was simply due to jealousy. I know it is with me. I'm jealous that URI can't compete with the pockets of the big boys of the sport. Having the NCAA crack down was a way to level the playing field. But if URI could afford to pull off strong-ass offers, I'd just say it's a victimless crime and the FBI should focus on harmful crimes. I'm also just a shmuck on a message board so who knows if I'm alone in my beliefs here.
The problem is there are two sets of rules -- one for the Cartel and one for everyone else. Remember the UMass women's tennis story? https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... g-results
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
The problem is there are two sets of rules -- one for the Cartel and one for everyone else. Remember the UMass women's tennis story? https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... g-results
UMass women's tennis is part of the cartel?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
UMass women's tennis is part of the cartel?
Try to imagine a Cartel member getting hit that hard for the same violations.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Outside the box…Kevin Boyle?
The high school coach? I don't necessarily hate it, but if he's on the list then you might as well add assistant coaches back to the candidate list because they have the same effective experience
Should I hire an agent?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Outside the box…Kevin Boyle?
The high school coach? I don't necessarily hate it, but if he's on the list then you might as well add assistant coaches back to the candidate list because they have the same effective experience
Should I hire an agent?
:lol:
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Hell, for $500k I'll coach the team. Wasn't Pender's offered $500k at Texas back in 1989? LOL. We are paying coaches what Pender's made 30+ years ago at Texas. You get what you pay for.
I thought Penders got $1M at Texas.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Hell, for $500k I'll coach the team. Wasn't Pender's offered $500k at Texas back in 1989? LOL. We are paying coaches what Pender's made 30+ years ago at Texas. You get what you pay for.
He was making $50k at URI and Texas offered $500K.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

$550 k per year

https://apnews.com/article/04035579e826 ... 593c41deaf
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
$550 k per year

https://apnews.com/article/04035579e826 ... 593c41deaf
Man, that is a wild story about halfway down in that - Namely, that an assistant coach for Texas faxed the grades of a player to a radio station, after that player was suspended for academics.
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Bozeman looks like he's here just to collect a check
I've never seen an assistant look so disinterested on the bench. He definitely is.
100%. I mentioned this same thing to another fan watching the last few minutes of the Fordham game. Think we were down 2 or something coming out of a timeout with only a few minutes remaining, and he was just sitting on the bench staring off into space. Couldn't have shown less interest if he tried.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Dear Mr Ryan, Mr Fascitelli, or Mr Soloviev,

Please call Thorr, offer up $3M per year over the next 5 years, build our practice facility, and call Chris Mack’s agent.

Thank you.
Good luck with that, you have their #'s.

Besides aside from his compensation, any top coach will want a much higher assistants pool, more charter flights, etc.
Not always. See Pitino !
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Dear Mr Ryan, Mr Fascitelli, or Mr Soloviev,

Please call Thorr, offer up $3M per year over the next 5 years, build our practice facility, and call Chris Mack’s agent.

Thank you.

Besides aside from his compensation, any top coach will want a much higher assistants pool, more charter flights, etc.
Not always. See Pitino !
Of course, not always. They weren't going to hire Pitino, anyway.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not always. See Pitino !
Never give up.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not always. See Pitino !
Never give up.
I don't and I am hopeful they make the right call this time around.

I guess I never expected our situation to be as bad as it is now.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Talk about a school being on the hook with a coach.

"That means Hoiberg would be owed $18.5 million if he were fired after this season — $3.5 million for each of the five years after this season plus the $1 million in retention bonuses."

Wow that’s amazing he was so solid at his Alma mater Iowa St and then coached the Bulls

Why has he failed so miserably @ Nebraska??
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Talk about a school being on the hook with a coach.

Wow that’s amazing he was so solid at his Alma mater Iowa St and then coached the Bulls

Why has he failed so miserably @ Nebraska??
Good question
They had the #3 recruiting class in the B10 in 2021, top 20 nationally.
Also have a solid class for 2022, 4 signed recruits.
Who knows, maybe he can change it around.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

You have to start wondering how many coaches will get the Axe in the A10 this year. At different points of this season, you could make arguments that Keith Dambrot at Duquesne, Chris Mooney at Richmond, Billy Lange at St Joe's, Jamion Christian at GW, Ashley Howard at LaSalle, Matt McCall at UMass, and Cox here all are on the hot seat.

I think Lange and Christian may stave off the wolves with better than expected performances, and I'm not sure what the appetite is for firing Dambrot (2 years left on his deal) or Mooney, but could we see up to 4 coaches getting fired in the same season? Can't remember a year with that much turnover. Lots of potential competition for coaching searches.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

UMass will be an interesting opening to monitor for sure. Will they go safe hire and try to stabilize the program in the short term or has the program become so moribund that they make a splash hire.

I think John Becker will be coaching in the A10 next year, just a question of for whom.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago UMass will be an interesting opening to monitor for sure. Will they go safe hire and try to stabilize the program in the short term or has the program become so moribund that they make a splash hire.

I think John Becker will be coaching in the A10 next year, just a question of for whom.
If I were making good money and living in Burlington, VT, I wouldn't be in a hurry to go anywhere else.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

thatRamBand wrote: 2 years ago You have to start wondering how many coaches will get the Axe in the A10 this year. At different points of this season, you could make arguments that Keith Dambrot at Duquesne, Chris Mooney at Richmond, Billy Lange at St Joe's, Jamion Christian at GW, Ashley Howard at LaSalle, Matt McCall at UMass, and Cox here all are on the hot seat.

I think Lange and Christian may stave off the wolves with better than expected performances, and I'm not sure what the appetite is for firing Dambrot (2 years left on his deal) or Mooney, but could we see up to 4 coaches getting fired in the same season? Can't remember a year with that much turnover. Lots of potential competition for coaching searches.
Great point.

That might be a good thing. May force our donors that are kicking tires on certain coaches to up their commitments to get their guy.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I think more than half of those coaches are gone. For some reason I think Dambrot stays because Duquesne is dumb and does dumb things.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It seems like this off-season (whenever it ends for each team) could be wild with hirings and firings. Two coaches quitting in-season is already unusual. The sudden ending of the 2020 season kept people employed who might not have been under regular conditions. Last year, money was a factor for a large percentage of programs. This year feels like it could be a dam break.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed, the carousel is going to be crazy this off-season. You already have 2 tier 1 jobs open and the season hasn't ended. If Maryland hired Willard would Seton Hall ever break the bank to try and lure back their alum in Storrs? I kid.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Agreed, the carousel is going to be crazy this off-season. You already have 2 tier 1 jobs open and the season hasn't ended. If Maryland hired Willard would Seton Hall ever break the bank to try and lure back their alum in Storrs? I kid.
Dan isn't going to leave UConn for Seton Hall, I am sure Ace will agree.

If Willard does leave (probably not), I can see that as a destination for the Millers or Mack.

Besides the coaching carousel being busy so will the activity chasing players in the portal and those recruits still not signed.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Agreed, the carousel is going to be crazy this off-season. You already have 2 tier 1 jobs open and the season hasn't ended. If Maryland hired Willard would Seton Hall ever break the bank to try and lure back their alum in Storrs? I kid.

If Willard does leave (probably not), I can see that as a destination for the Millers or Mack.

Besides the coaching carousel being busy so will the activity chasing players in the portal and those recruits still not signed.
Yeah I agree but if Seton Hall ever did open up it’d be fun to see that fight :) Agree on the carousel, all that shake up will trigger even more transfers and delayed decisions for recruits. Opportunity or a landmine pending who is in charge.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah I agree but if Seton Hall ever did open up it’d be fun to see that fight :) Agree on the carousel, all that shake up will trigger even more transfers and delayed decisions for recruits. Opportunity or a landmine pending who is in charge.
And there's another problem. If/when Cox gets fired in mid-March, who knows how long it will take to have a new HC and staff in place. It could be weeks the way things are done around here. Could result in a lot of missed opportunities in regards to roster building.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

put you
And there's another problem. If/when Cox gets fired in mid-March, who knows how long it will take to have a new HC and staff in place. It could be weeks the way things are done around here. Could result in a lot of missed opportunities in regards to roster building.
Well yeah, this was going to be a lengthy process.
It may take a while for them to make the right choice.
Also, the new coach would need to hire a staff.

Making a coaching change will always put you behind in trying to fill out a roster.

That's why I said there won't be any quick fixes and we will all need to be patient.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully Thorr has started the vetting process with available candidates already, thru backchannels or however it's done.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Making a coaching change will always put you behind in trying to fill out a roster.

That's why I said there won't be any quick fixes and we will all need to be patient.
All the more reason to make the decision now, interim coach.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing 2,000 in the transfer portal this year. No problem getting players for a new coach.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I'm guessing 2,000 in the transfer portal this year. No problem getting players for a new coach.
I would be surprised if it is that high, but who knows you could be right.

The problem is getting the right players.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The problem is hiring the right coach. Not getting players.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The problem is hiring the right coach. Not getting players.
Well of course, that is understood.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

thatRamBand wrote: 2 years ago You have to start wondering how many coaches will get the Axe in the A10 this year. At different points of this season, you could make arguments that Keith Dambrot at Duquesne, Chris Mooney at Richmond, Billy Lange at St Joe's, Jamion Christian at GW, Ashley Howard at LaSalle, Matt McCall at UMass, and Cox here all are on the hot seat.

I will guess 3 jobs open URI UMass and Richmond
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Seeing a lot of people bang the drum for Cooley to Maryland. Doesn't seem like a good fit to me but who knows.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Seeing a lot of people bang the drum for Cooley to Maryland. Doesn't seem like a good fit to me but who knows.
I have heard those rumors also, just don't think it will happen.
1 x