Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

I want URI's next Head Coach to be...

Poll ended at 6 years ago

John Becker
1%
David Cox
76%
Nate Oats
5%
Rick Pitino
13%
Other (please write-in)
5%

Total votes: 147

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Steve Prohm or Gregg Marshall.
I would go for either of these two.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Archie Miller or Bust
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Steve Prohm or Gregg Marshall.
I would go for either of these two.
Marshall is a good coach but my worry is the recruiting now. Once it came out that he treats his players like shit, he lost a bunch of committed recruits and then couldn't maintain any high-level recruiting. Competing against coaches, who are telling parents that if their kids play for Marshall he could be abusive towards them, will become a challenge. If he could prove the recruiting wouldn't suffer, I'd take a shot on him.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..maybe the topic title needs to be changed……I know there is no announcement from URI(yet)…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I think there are four types of candidates:

1. Up and coming coach like was got with Hurley from Wagner (Holloway, Mason)
2. A fired head coach from P5 (Miller, Mack, Drew)
3. A known commodity that's been at a mid-major for a while, but has had success (Becker)
4. A P5 head coach that is on the hot seat and wants a fresh start while he can (think Shaka to Marquette from Texas) - I guess Bobby Hurley would fit this category

Group 1 is probably the riskiest
Group 2 would be quickest and sexiest
Group 3 is probably low-risk, but reminds me a lot of Jim Baron hire - it can work, but is BLAH
Group 4 is probably most unlikely - Bobby isn't walking through that door and I can't think of any Northeast/Mid-Atlantic coaches that fit this description (NC State Head Coach?)
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

I guess I forgot P5 assistant coach, but I doubt Thorr would go that route after the Cox debacle.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago Group 4 is probably most unlikely - Bobby isn't walking through that door and I can't think of any Northeast/Mid-Atlantic coaches that fit this description (NC State Head Coach?)
Kevin Keatts could be interesting. Took a bad UNC Wilmington program and made them dominant in the CAA in his time there (41-13 in conference, two NCAA tournaments in 3 years). Takes over an NC State program that had declined at the end of Mark Gottfried's tenure and goes to the tournament in the first year. Then makes the NIT quarterfinal in two consecutive post-seasons (obviously no post season in 2020) but now having a down year. Career 41-44 in the ACC as of today
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just thinking to myself if Thorr can somehow try and justify keeping Cox past this year.

There's just no way right?

He's not coaching here next year without an extension, so he's either getting fired or another year added onto his deal.
2 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Other Category would be coaches with Baggage...worked out well with Bruce Pearl

Each has their own unique issue(s) of varying degrees

Pat Chambers
Greg Marshall
Sean Miller
Mike Rice
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Shaheen Holloway is going to be a star. Love that guy.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago Other Category would be coaches with Baggage...worked out well with Bruce Pearl

Pat Chambers
Greg Marshall
Sean Miller
Mike Rice
Chambers and Marshall I could see.

Rice didn’t really have any success, plus the baggage. Hard pass.

We’re too small time for Sean Miller. Not a chance with him.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Just thinking to myself if Thorr can somehow try and justify keeping Cox past this year.

He's not coaching here next year without an extension, so he's either getting fired or another year added onto his deal.
I've played it through my head as well, just seeing or hearing of an update that Cox will be back and seeing how done the fan base would be. It would be extremally ugly.
0 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Just thinking to myself if Thorr can somehow try and justify keeping Cox past this year.

I've played it through my head as well, just seeing or hearing of an update that Cox will be back and seeing how done the fan base would be. It would be extremally ugly.
If Cox is here next year then we might as well all look for a new program to support, because Rhode Island basketball would be dead and Thorr (and new University President) would not be the right team to give us a program that sniffs the NCAA tournament
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Section104 wrote: 2 years ago Other Category would be coaches with Baggage...worked out well with Bruce Pearl

Pat Chambers
Greg Marshall
Sean Miller
Mike Rice
Chambers and Marshall I could see.

Rice didn’t really have any success, plus the baggage. Hard pass.

We’re too small time for Sean Miller. Not a chance with him.
Big no to Rice and Chambers.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

What's Mike Lonergan up to these days? Have to wonder if he is ready to step back into coaching - ugly business at GW but largely seems like he was the fall guy there for the AD's issues. It's been a while since he's coached anywhere as far as I can tell though. Took Vermont to the NIT and NCAAs, and took GW to an NCAA berth, and 2 NIT's.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Boals is a better candidate than Becker. Higher ceiling. Prob harder to snag tho too.

Still think Bryce Drew is a really compelling candidate. Success at 2 different mid majors and a blemish at a P5 that is VERY hard to win at. Even with that he went to NCAA his first year at Vandy. Recruited really well there. Has a name brand like Hurley which will get us into better tournaments, better OOC opponents, more media coverage.

In this day and age anyone that had any player related issues (bullying, physical altercations, etc) is a big NO. That stuff isn't ever getting swept under the rug and will be used against you forever. Marshall, Rice, Lonergan.

I like Holloway but he would be a risk / reward play.
5 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I don't care about winning the press conference. Who will give us the best chance at winning everything that comes afterward?
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Section104
Art Stephenson

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Boals is a better candidate than Becker. Higher ceiling. Prob harder to snag tho too.

Still think Bryce Drew is a really compelling candidate. Success at 2 different mid majors and a blemish at a P5 that is VERY hard to win at. Even with that he went to NCAA his first year at Vandy. Recruited really well there. Has a name brand like Hurley which will get us into better tournaments, better OOC opponents, more media coverage.

In this day and age anyone that had any player related issues (bullying, physical altercations, etc) is a big NO. That stuff isn't ever getting swept under the rug and will be used against you forever. Marshall, Rice, Lonergan.

You've talked me into Drew as my top candidate. Another positive with Drew is I don't think he'd be quick to jump from Rhode Island if he was successful - he's seen that grass isn't always greener at P5 as expectations are sometimes unrealistic.

There was a time that he was one of the top names in all of college basketball for the next big opportunity. The only thing changed from then to now is Vanderbilt cutting the cord too early and failing miserably with their decision to hire Jerry Stackhouse.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Saw someone mention Bob Richey last night. Current head coach of Furman. 104-41 there, 15-7 (7-2) this year. Could be a reach into a pretty low major (SoCon) but he does seem to fit the "up-and-coming" mold...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

BAR nails it in his last post!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Boals is a better candidate than Becker. Higher ceiling. Prob harder to snag tho too.

You've talked me into Drew as my top candidate. Another positive with Drew is I don't think he'd be quick to jump from Rhode Island if he was successful - he's seen that grass isn't always greener at P5 as expectations are sometimes unrealistic.

There was a time that he was one of the top names in all of college basketball for the next big opportunity. The only thing changed from then to now is Vanderbilt cutting the cord too early and failing miserably with their decision to hire Jerry Stackhouse.
No chance Bryce Drew is coming here.

He can win at Grand Canyon, and they have one of the best home court advantages in the nation. (Search on YouTube and you'll see why.)

Also, last I checked, Grand Canyon is a for profit school, so improvements may not be as hard to come by.

Wasn't able to find his salary, however.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He can win at Grand Canyon, and they have one of the best home court advantages in the nation. (Search on YouTube and you'll see why.)

Also, last I checked, Grand Canyon is a for profit school, so improvements may not be as hard to come by.

If we can’t make a compelling offer for the coach of Grand Canyon we got bigger problems. And I don’t believe that to be true. Very familiar with GCU and their arena/fan support.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

If we can’t make a compelling offer for the coach of Grand Canyon we got bigger problems. And I don’t believe that to be true. Very familiar with GCU and their arena/fan support.

Are you familiar with this? Seems like pretty great fan support to me.

0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes I’ve seen it. But it’s still a new D1 program in a league with Tarleton and Cal Baptist. But if a gimmicky for profit religious school. Rhody is a better program in a better league and if we could hypothetically pay him much better than it seems like it could be compelling. Again could be I have no idea what his aspirations are and how happy he is at GCU.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Yes I’ve seen it. But it’s still a new D1 program in a league with Tarleton and Cal Baptist. But if a gimmicky for profit religious school. Rhody is a better program in a better league and if we could hypothetically pay him much better than it seems like it could be compelling. Again could be I have no idea what his aspirations are and how happy he is at GCU.
All true, I was just stating some positives around that program.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hadn't heard of GCU until 2 or 3 years ago. Pretty shocked they had attendance like that. They lost that game by double digits, but cool video.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Yes I’ve seen it. But it’s still a new D1 program in a league with Tarleton and Cal Baptist. But if a gimmicky for profit religious school. Rhody is a better program in a better league and if we could hypothetically pay him much better than it seems like it could be compelling. Again could be I have no idea what his aspirations are and how happy he is at GCU.
No doubt, their student section is almost legendary at this point...and Arizona is a fun place to call home so he could be plenty happy there and be making 1MM bucks and really like to play top notch golf. If all those things are true then he won't be interested. But if he wants to play in and win NCAA tourney games and get back to a league and program with greater pedigree and relevance we are a step up. And if he makes 500-750K and we can offer north of $1MM I would have to think he listens. But I really have no clue what he makes.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I hadn't heard of GCU until 2 or 3 years ago. Pretty shocked they had attendance like that. They lost that game by double digits, but cool video.
Because they only joined D1 in 2020, I believe.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I hadn't heard of GCU until 2 or 3 years ago. Pretty shocked they had attendance like that. They lost that game by double digits, but cool video.
2013. Thunder Dan Majerle was their first D1 coach. They were a D2 and NAIA powerhouse before that.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
2013. Thunder Dan Majerle was their first D1 coach. They were a D2 and NAIA powerhouse before that.
Thanks, BAR!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

IIRC, Majerle had a messy breakup with GCU.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Well, if a coach like this is good enough to warrant moving up in level, what gives URI the leg up over comparable programs? I’ve seen a lot of names mentioned here that have no significant geographic connection. Not that it’s an end-all, but why is a southeast or Midwest guy choosing URI if there is a better geographic fit with comparable pay? I believe Bryce Drew may have been among candidates for the Arizona job last year, so he’s not far away from another major gig.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago
Well, if a coach like this is good enough to warrant moving up in level, what gives URI the leg up over comparable programs? I’ve seen a lot of names mentioned here that have no significant geographic connection. Not that it’s an end-all, but why is a southeast or Midwest guy choosing URI if there is a better geographic fit with comparable pay? I believe Bryce Drew may have been among candidates for the Arizona job last year, so he’s not far away from another major gig.
Agreed it certainly depends on where his head is at and what other options are out there. And a lot of it comes down to pay. IF a P5 offer for him isn't imminent...and if you can offer him a significant raise then URI isn't a comparable program nor is the A10 a comparable conference to the WAC. Geographic ties are nice to haves but not must have IMO. Build a staff for the local recruiting pipeline.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Bryce can show us how to make half-court shots to win an NCAAT game!
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Get me a coach who can land Isaiah Miranda
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Every time I visit this thread, I see the first post......77% of us wanted Cox, including myself.

If we only knew.....not that it would have mattered.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Every time I visit this thread, I see the first post......77% of us wanted Cox, including myself.

If we only knew.....not that it would have mattered.
……sure, I thought we would get Hurley lite………what we got was way less fulfilling and awful taste……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Why don't we start another poll with viable candidates?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago Why don't we start another poll with viable candidates?
…go for it…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago
Agreed it certainly depends on where his head is at and what other options are out there. And a lot of it comes down to pay. IF a P5 offer for him isn't imminent...and if you can offer him a significant raise then URI isn't a comparable program nor is the A10 a comparable conference to the WAC. Geographic ties are nice to haves but not must have IMO. Build a staff for the local recruiting pipeline.
Sure, I guess my point was that if his agent is suggesting he’s available as schools reach out, he’s probably going to have interest from a lot of different places, and at that point I do think geography matters more. If someone like Archie Miller is looking to get back into coaching, URI isn’t gonna be his only option. So what creates that desirability?

When Dan came to URI, he was a good hire but certainly not a slam dunk. I think that type of hire is more likely, the guy with potential whose not fully proven.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Of course, it’s all a matter of interest and availability. I just think Drew is something you feasibly could target. For whatever reason I see Miller as a bigger reach even tho their career resumes are all that different.

IMO tho Dan was an up and comer he was pretty close to a slam dunk for a few reasons. Like Tammi Reiss it was immediately apparent on his will alone he was likely going to win. Just a matter of how long it would take. Once he signed EC and Hassan it was set in motion.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have to hire someone who has had proven success, even if it's at a lower level.

Someone who knows his X's and O's....I'm sick and tired of having coaches that are lost in how to attack a zone defense.

The thing is, Thorr is not a coach.....he's got to get this right.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago We have to hire someone who has had proven success, even if it's at a lower level.

Someone who knows his X's and O's....I'm sick and tired of having coaches that are lost in how to attack a zone defense.

Attacking the zone shouldn't be that difficult, as long as you have shooters, and the players know how to pass.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago We have to hire someone who has had proven success, even if it's at a lower level.

Attacking the zone shouldn't be that difficult, as long as you have shooters, and the players know how to pass.
Yeah you're right. Problem is, players who can do those things here are rare indeed.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

No doubt, their student section is almost legendary at this point...and Arizona is a fun place to call home so he could be plenty happy there and be making 1MM bucks and really like to play top notch golf. If all those things are true then he won't be interested. But if he wants to play in and win NCAA tourney games and get back to a league and program with greater pedigree and relevance we are a step up. And if he makes 500-750K and we can offer north of $1MM I would have to think he listens. But I really have no clue what he makes.
we could throw in a membership to Laurel Lane
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago Why don't we start another poll with viable candidates?
Cox hasn't officially been let go, and we have no idea who is a realistic candidate or not, plus there are a month of games left. Plus, you know, URI could decide to retain Cox. So, no poll until then. I think this thread will suffice until there has actually been movement on a front.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seems that people are still able to vote in the Poll even though it is 4 years old? The votes for Pitino are definitely increasing. It was 17 just yesterday and I think maybe only 11 or 14 a week or so ago? Strange.

I had already voted 4 years ago so I cannot vote again but it does show who I wanted 4 years ago because it shows in bold.

I’d felt at the time that 2 back to back NCAA Tournaments plus winning our first game both years warranted a solid, experienced Head Coaching search.

In addition we had proven our ability to recruit Nationally Ranked Top 100 HS Players and Transfers in Matthews, Terrell, Robinson and Iverson plus a heck of a warrior and leader of men in Hassan Martin. Followed up by Jeff Dowtin and Cyril Langevine who played big roles on their St John’s College HS and St Patrick’s HS teams that both got ranked Top 10 Nationally in USA Today. Then Fatts Russell joined in who played high level HS ball.

I’d still take Pitino today in a NY minute just as I would have then.

C0D91C68-06B8-4653-BA09-C52CE90D0ECD.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

My early pick is Luke Murray. Let's go young and bold.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….no thanks, no OJT here, not this time…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938