Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

I want URI's next Head Coach to be...

Poll ended at 6 years ago

John Becker
1%
David Cox
76%
Nate Oats
5%
Rick Pitino
13%
Other (please write-in)
5%

Total votes: 147

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Your Pick for the next Head Coach

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago There is zero fact based evidence this year or in his experience that shows Cox is the man to run a division one basketball program. He's got a great resume as an assistant, but any assessment right now that concludes he can handle this job is based on hopes and dreams, not reality
Three years ago, during his first season, right on page 2. Yikes...
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago You all act as though Hurley made lemonade out of lemons. He had a 4 year class, that beared fruit. Hurley had a hand in the product you see on the floor. His success rate and experience as a head coach may have garnered an extra win or two, but for the most part this team is what it is. I don’t know how anyone can come to these extreme conclusions after Cox being on the job for 8 months. We have a rotation of 6-7 guys that can actually contribute. Next year we will have a minimum of 9 rotation guys. Big difference, will allow for flexibility in the lineup along with a host of other things. One thing for sure, I will not write off these kids and believe that they will not continue to develop in the off season. I’m a glass half full/optimist. As I have said in the past, after season 2, and no progress, all bets are off. After year one? It’s just stupid, imo.

Call me a honk or whatever, just my .02.
I love this post. Immediately responding to his own burner account to corroborate how none of this is Cox’s fault, the assistants don’t do enough, and the kids are going to get better.

But this jumped out - “after season 2, and no progress, all bets are off.”

I agree. As do we all. It’s nice that DC Rams, and I assume another few burner accounts all shared our sentiment - that Cox should’ve been gone last year.

Maybe if he comes back, he can switch those accounts to supporting a coaching change like he promised a few years back. That might make it apparent that the whole fanbase wants the change.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago You all act as though Hurley made lemonade out of lemons. He had a 4 year class, that beared fruit. Hurley had a hand in the product you see on the floor. His success rate and experience as a head coach may have garnered an extra win or two, but for the most part this team is what it is. I don’t know how anyone can come to these extreme conclusions after Cox being on the job for 8 months. We have a rotation of 6-7 guys that can actually contribute. Next year we will have a minimum of 9 rotation guys. Big difference, will allow for flexibility in the lineup along with a host of other things. One thing for sure, I will not write off these kids and believe that they will not continue to develop in the off season. I’m a glass half full/optimist. As I have said in the past, after season 2, and no progress, all bets are off. After year one? It’s just stupid, imo.

Call me a honk or whatever, just my .02.
I love this post. Immediately responding to his own burner account to corroborate how none of this is Cox’s fault, the assistants don’t do enough, and the kids are going to get better.

But this jumped out - “after season 2, and no progress, all bets are off.”

I agree. As do we all. It’s nice that DC Rams, and I assume another few burner accounts all shared our sentiment - that Cox should’ve been gone last year.

Maybe if he comes back, he can switch those accounts to supporting a coaching change like he promised a few years back. That might make it apparent that the whole fanbase wants the change.
If you combine DC and TJ half full glasses then do you have a full glass? and one empty glass?
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago I need to know how much caffeine our new friend TJrams91 consumes in a day. It seems like a lot.

Decided to go back and read through this thread since it was brought up/ resurfaced in discussion earlier this week.

On page 2 this is one of the funniest posts I’ve read on KB, in hindsight. :D
Who drank more coffee? DCRams or TJRams
Better question: Do they argue with one another?
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 5 years ago

I’ll take that bet. How much? Fire Cox.
Hardoooooo! Let's not forget Danny Hurley went 8-21 in his first season with an NBA guy on the roster. This is unquestionably a tough time to be a URI fan, but sports is cyclical. We are the Rhody Rams not the Duke Blue Devils, Cox deserves at least one more year IMO.
A dude that had to put 69 in his screen name calling someone else a hardo is the absolute height of humor. Like seriously, nobody should ever try and say anything funny on here, because you're never coming close to this.

Did Dan have Xavier Munford on the team? Yeah. The rest of the roster was Andre Malone, Mike Powell, Nikola Malesevic, Jordan Hare, Ryan Brooks, Mike Aaman, T.J. Buchanan, and Alwayne Bigby. How many games does Cox win with that roster? 2? 3? And they obviously wouldn't have shown nearly the fight that that team did. Cox sucks and the faster we move on the better for the university
Bumping this post for literally the funniest thing I've seen on this message board, and for anyone that tries to compare what Hurley had to work with in the beginning to what Cox inherited. Look at that roster, then look at what Cox took over. Hurley should be in the URI Hall of Fame yesterday and he should have a statue put up outside of the Ryan Center for the makeover he did
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I still say DC Rams was David Cox himself.

Who else would get as snarky and defensive as him?

Just kidding.....maybe
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyRamFan69 wrote: 5 years ago

Hardoooooo! Let's not forget Danny Hurley went 8-21 in his first season with an NBA guy on the roster. This is unquestionably a tough time to be a URI fan, but sports is cyclical. We are the Rhody Rams not the Duke Blue Devils, Cox deserves at least one more year IMO.
A dude that had to put 69 in his screen name calling someone else a hardo is the absolute height of humor. Like seriously, nobody should ever try and say anything funny on here, because you're never coming close to this.

Did Dan have Xavier Munford on the team? Yeah. The rest of the roster was Andre Malone, Mike Powell, Nikola Malesevic, Jordan Hare, Ryan Brooks, Mike Aaman, T.J. Buchanan, and Alwayne Bigby. How many games does Cox win with that roster? 2? 3? And they obviously wouldn't have shown nearly the fight that that team did. Cox sucks and the faster we move on the better for the university
Bumping this post for literally the funniest thing I've seen on this message board, and for anyone that tries to compare what Hurley had to work with in the beginning to what Cox inherited. Look at that roster, then look at what Cox took over. Hurley should be in the URI Hall of Fame yesterday and he should have a statue put up outside of the Ryan Center for the makeover he did
I have to agree with you RR02. Was that the last post for RhodyRamFan69 after your comeback? or did he change his name?

This is a great thread to go back through. Some funny stuff you just can't make up.
3 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I still say DC Rams was David Cox himself.

Just kidding.....maybe
I was just about to post the same thing. 😁
How pathetic would it be if this was actually true.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I still say DC Rams was David Cox himself.

Just kidding.....maybe
I was just about to post the same thing. 😁
How pathetic would it be if this was actually true.
During the past game interview "Hang on a minute Steve, I need to respond to something Blue Man just said"
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Pitino should be taken off the list. Probably not leaving Iona. He raised 12 million for improvements and will be the first team since the Lionel Simmons and Speedy Morris LaSalle team to run the table. If he does lose in the MAAC tournament, he will still get an automatic bid. He is in a great situation. That being said, if he does leave Iona, it will be to a program that has everything in place to win a national championship. Say like a Louisville, who has already made overtures to him. You get one shot at the brass ring and we chose David Cox and his recruiting class over a well established coach with a lot of baggage. As history will show, the two greatest coaches in our program, excluding Frank Keaney were Jack Kraft and Jim Harrick. Both came here with said baggage. Pitino would have been number three. Once again that being said, my choice would be Steve Masiello, a member of the Pitino coaching tree. He has a tarnish on his resume which he rectified, but has done well at Manhattan. I believe he would love the opportunity to coach here.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Your Pick for the next Head Coach (2018)

Unread post by SGreenwell »

For clarity's sake, I've updated the thread title, to reflect that this topic was created after Hurley, before Cox. If and when Cox is fired / resigns / leaves for another job - regardless of how slight those possibilities seem - it makes more sense to create a new topic at that time, so that a new poll can be created. (Please DON'T create that thread now.)
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Seriously, some people really need to let go of Pitino. Now we should hire a guy who hasn't had a winning conference record in the MAAC since 2014-15 because he came from Pitino's tree? Masiello has gone 49-75 in the MAAC since that season. He's due for a firing, not a promotion
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Seriously, some people really need to let go of Pitino. Now we should hire a guy who hasn't had a winning conference record in the MAAC since 2014-15 because he came from Pitino's tree? Masiello has gone 49-75 in the MAAC since that season. He's due for a firing, not a promotion
Don't give up. Never ever give up.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

I have to agree with you RR02. Was that the last post for RhodyRamFan69 after your comeback? or did he change his name?

This is a great thread to go back through. Some funny stuff you just can't make up.
Omg. How many times did DCRams talk about URI fans thinking they were duke or Kentucky.

DID YOU JUST DISCOVER HIS THIRD BURNER
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Here’s a name for the next head coach of the University of Rhode Island, Someone who could make something of this program and stay awhile: Carmen Maciariello. Currently the HC at Siena. He’s a terrific recruiter, tied in with CityRocks Expressions and BABC locally. He’s also a family man and someone who gets the most out of his talent. He also has a massive personality which this fan base would love. He’s also close with Tyson Wheeler who would great to have back home and could really sell this place. He’s also of the Cooley “coaching tree” which would make for a good story line once a year. 😂

All seriousness though he’s got a 42-24 record in the MAAC which is a tough, balanced, conference.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……I was sorta interested until the Cooley tree came up……..meh…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NorthernRamFan wrote: 2 years ago Here’s a name for the next head coach of the University of Rhode Island, Someone who could make something of this program and stay awhile: Carmen Maciariello. Currently the HC at Siena. He’s a terrific recruiter, tied in with CityRocks Expressions and BABC locally. He’s also a family man and someone who gets the most out of his talent. He also has a massive personality which this fan base would love. He’s also close with Tyson Wheeler who would great to have back home and could really sell this place. He’s also of the Cooley “coaching tree” which would make for a good story line once a year. 😂

All seriousness though he’s got a 42-24 record in the MAAC which is a tough, balanced, conference.
I can't sign off on this idea until I get a look at his Sunday gravy recipe.
8 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Anyone but David Cox..
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Anyone but David Cox..
……easy as ABC……..anybody but Cox…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ARCHIE MILLER
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can someone make a new poll?
1 x
GO RAMS
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago ARCHIE MILLER
Hearing Maryland may go after him…
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Can someone make a new poll?
No new poll until 1) Cox is actually fired, resigns or quits and 2) we have some semblance of an idea who the realistic candidates are. Like, we probably have another month of games left - our games, and more importantly, other team's games.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NorthernRamFan wrote: 2 years ago Here’s a name for the next head coach of the University of Rhode Island, Someone who could make something of this program and stay awhile: Carmen Maciariello. Currently the HC at Siena. He’s a terrific recruiter, tied in with CityRocks Expressions and BABC locally. He’s also a family man and someone who gets the most out of his talent. He also has a massive personality which this fan base would love. He’s also close with Tyson Wheeler who would great to have back home and could really sell this place. He’s also of the Cooley “coaching tree” which would make for a good story line once a year. 😂

I like Maciariello I just wish he had a bit more of a body of work.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

I would be surprised if he makes the short list
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I would be surprised if he makes the short list
Me too. Not enough resume there.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I need the splash hire. If for nothing else I need to know we care about having a competitive basketball program.

Theblueram pointed it out - but I’m all set with the $750k entry level coach.

The boosters offered Hurley 2.2, a practice facility, charters, and a solid assistant coaches pool.

That should be the floor.

I don’t think the “savvy” “up and coming” hire does it. We’re approaching Jerry D territory.

Give me a Miller or Mack type hire. Put us on the map again.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

So someone with Dan’s profile pre URI won’t do it for you even tho you know how that turned out?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I need the splash hire. If for nothing else I need to know we care about having a competitive basketball program.

The boosters offered Hurley 2.2, a practice facility, charters, and a solid assistant coaches pool.

I don’t think the “savvy” “up and coming” hire does it. We’re approaching Jerry D territory.

BlueMan I doubt we would get serious interest from the Millers, Mack, or even Turg.
Not only coming up with the $, but a total rebuild, currently with a lower tier A10 school.
I think they wait it out and better offers will come their way at the end of the season.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago So someone with Dan’s profile pre URI won’t do it for you even tho you know how that turned out?
There’s no one with Dan’s profile. No one at the lower levels right now carries the cache that his last name did alone. No one in that entry level price band is going to do what Dan did here.

And I’m not saying we need to overpay for any coach to say we did. I’m saying that we should be willing to pay the price tag to bring in the actual professional coaches that are out there.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I need the splash hire. If for nothing else I need to know we care about having a competitive basketball program.

BlueMan I doubt we would get serious interest from the Millers, Mack, or even Turg.
Not only coming up with the $, but a total rebuild, currently with a lower tier A10 school.
I think they wait it out and better offers will come their way at the end of the season.
Think big, we do?

Yeah you’re probably right.

But this is a school that you can recruit to and win at. If you’re a big enough name you can put together whatever OOC you want. And it’s a conference that if you can recruit a higher level of talent you can win at very quickly.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Lower tier A10 school? Again, I'll have what you are smoking.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Tammi Reiss. Make some waves.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Think big, we do?

Yeah you’re probably right.

But this is a school that you can recruit to and win at. If you’re a big enough name you can put together whatever OOC you want. And it’s a conference that if you can recruit a higher level of talent you can win at very quickly.
I think there will be some interesting and realistic candidates available at the end of the season.
Of course, you would have an issue with us hiring an up-and-coming assistant at this time.

I do think GM made a good hire with English.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The biggest mistake you can make in hiring is over reacting to the coach you're replacing. Baron was hired because he ran a clean program, his players graduated.
So don't go for a big name just because Cox wasn't.
A good AD can find good coaches in lots of places.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Splash or boring I don’t care as long as there’s exciting basketball with Ws.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I said currently!
Last year we finished 10th, this season we are currently 12th.
What do you call that?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would definitely be for the splash hire if we can make one , I always like the big names in college hoops

Definitely looking forward to see what the short list looks like then we can speculate til no end
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

FWIW, I love Archie Miller and Chris Mack, I have no idea if they would be interested. They are both great coaches IMO. Either one would be a great hire. Both are great at the schematic aspect of the game.

I would probably start to hate you guys if you hired either one, lol.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I said currently!
Last year we finished 10th, this season we are currently 12th.
What do you call that?
If we had an actual coach we'd be far from 12th in the A-10 right now.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I would be surprised if he makes the shortlist
Nah we need a guy in a higher-end conference than MAAC to get the trajectory the program should have taken since DH left.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago FWIW, I love Archie Miller and Chris Mack, I have no idea if they would be interested. They are both great coaches IMO. Either one would be a great hire. Both are great at the schematic aspect of the game.

I would probably start to hate you guys if you hired either one.
Would love to get either one then hopefully URI and Dayton becomes one of thd best A10 rivalries
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago I would probably start to hate you guys if you hired either one, lol.
As opposed to the pity you feel now? I'd rather be hated.
2 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I think the program needs something to get excited about.

I posted similar somewhere else but since this sub is hot and you had a great post (quoted) - What are the thoughts on Bobby Hurley?

At the risk of severe burn...Here is my take - assuming ASU lets him go after 2 straight losing seasons since a tournament berth and no NCAAT wins:
He's a household name, P5 coaching experience, promotes a brand of basketball that has worked here, has shown he can be a "builder" (URI/Buffalo/ASU), has ties to the region (both family and recruiting), familiar with workings of URI, might be willing to take a lower payday (has money from playing career).
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……if he wants to chart is own course here, fine……..however the brother’s shadow will remain as the coaches performance standard here for a real long time…….can he, want to deal with that?…….time will tell……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I don’t think we’re big enough for Bobby.

But I’d love him, for the record.

Think he’s the lowest of likelihoods but hope I’m wrong.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think we’re big enough for Bobby.

But I’d love him, for the record.

Think he’s the lowest of likelihoods but hope I’m wrong.
Like I said on several posts prior, I don't think he will be that big of a reach for us.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ASU is currently 7-14. We'll see how they end up, but I doubt Bobby's future is anything but a power conference school.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Tammi Reiss. Make some waves.
lol no.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Steve Prohm or Gregg Marshall.
0 x
Go Rhody