David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 8-2 against Q4......12 wins total.

That's 4 wins this season over NON Q4 opponents.

Pathetic.

Imo, 16 wins [which was my prediction in the contest] is in jeopardy.....I don't see us winning 4 more games.

I think I was one of only two people who predicted 16, which was the lowest number of wins.

RI_Bred, Cooley is under big pressure to finally do something in the NCAA tourney...with that team, if they flop their fans will riot.
And one of those non-quad 4 wins is against a division 2 school
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Really good find Ramster, it’s so fun looking at these ok’d recruiting thread and see how some of these kids panned out

Rhody83 was big on the recruiting thread he still around ??
Last active six months ago, last post seven months ago. Too bad because they had some solid information
2 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago PC is definitely not fake good. They have a legit big, 2 end of shot clock facilitators and bucket getters, a defensive stopper and some really good role players. The stars are aligned if Cooley goes 1 and done it would be a huge failure. At this rate they will have a low seed and get a favorable first round matchup.
Agree they are 11th in the country with only losses to Marquette and UVA and quality wins along the way

I would love them 1 and done but they could be looking at a 3 or 4 seed if they keep winning
I have seen PC play, I was not all that impressed with them, I can see them getting upset in the ncaat. They are not terrible or anything, but they are just ok IMO. I have never been all that impressed with Cooley's coaching, especially his offense, his offense is sort of streetball-ish. He seems like a good guy, his coaching ability just is not great, that's all.
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago If you fire him now you have a head start on the coaching search. No coach worth his salt is going to avoid a job because you fired someone mid season in their 4th year of not making the tourney after losing to fordham and umass. If they did, they’re not someone you’d want to hire.
Why do you need to fire him to get a "head start" on the coaching search? I'm positive URI already has a couple of coaches in mind, and it isn't hard to talk to their agents via back channels to gauge their interest if the job opened up. Last time we fired a coach, we had his replacement hired by March 20. It's not like they're going to post the job on LinkedIn and have to sort through a couple hundred resumes.

Regarding other arguments about "losing" the fan base, well, people attend games when the team is winning. Attendance would probably drop off a bunch this year, except it sounds like they already sold a bunch of tickets and people simply don't use them. As bad as some of the Jerry D. and Jim Baron years were, attendance bounced back the following years when the team was good.

Unless there is something bad going on behind the scenes that we don't know about - players not going to practice, the APR tanking - I think it's better to just keep Cox this year, and fire him at the end of the year. This year's already gone, and Bozeman shouldn't be a serious candidate for the job, so I don't see any upside in making a mid-season change.
We could get a look at what the current players could do playing for the interim coach if nothing else. Cox is not a leader it was hidden a bit by the presence of Jeff Dowtin but with him gone it has been painfully obvious. The team fell apart last year and has done nothing impressive this year.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
But his "hard truth" should've maybe been a little more "hard" like - PC has caught a lot of breaks, like Wisconsin without Davis or Nova without Gillespie/Moore or UConn without Sanogo, and they've dodged some difficult games that were cancelled, etc - it will be interesting to see what this team does when they don't get a lucky break - idk something along those lines.

He still reads like a fanboy in the post when he's talking about PC. I never understood why people want Bill Koch to write about URI that way - if we ever get good enough to warrant positive press again.
PC is fake good. No doubt. They'll get theirs, guaranteed.
I don’t think they’re fake good. They’re good. They’ve been a lot more fun to watch than the slop we get.

I just think it’s a fair question to ask how they’ll do when they’re facing a non-depleted elite team.

They’ll be worthy of a high seed. But definitely could be someone that winds up on an upset list Thurs/Fri.
We'll see I guess. Overrated in my opinion. Hopefully anyway.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Thor doesn't have the money to fire Cox and pay a replacement who would demand a much higher salary. Thor should never have hired Cox for less than he was paying Hurley. You need to pay the position not the incumbent. Now that money is gone. Thor downgraded MBB. It wouldn't surprise me if Thor hired a Tyson Wheeler to replace Cox.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PC is fake good. No doubt. They'll get theirs, guaranteed.
I don’t think they’re fake good. They’re good. They’ve been a lot more fun to watch than the slop we get.

I just think it’s a fair question to ask how they’ll do when they’re facing a non-depleted elite team.

They’ll be worthy of a high seed. But definitely could be someone that winds up on an upset list Thurs/Fri.
We'll see I guess. Overrated in my opinion. Hopefully anyway.
Let me put it this way. I'll have them picked as a 14/3 or 13/4 upset.

But I also don't think I've ever finished in the top 10 in any bracket I've ever done so what do I know?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CUT BAIT

FIRE COX
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Thor doesn't have the money to fire Cox and pay a replacement who would demand a much higher salary. Thor should never have hired Cox for less than he was paying Hurley. You need to pay the position not the incumbent. Now that money is gone. Thor downgraded MBB. It wouldn't surprise me if Thor hired a Tyson Wheeler to replace Cox.
God your trolling is so good. When does PC play next?

You do understand that the amount of money the coach is paid has no bearing on his ability to do the job right? Like players don't look at their coaches contract and say - $750k/year? I'm not diving on the ball for that guy. Oh he's making $1.2? I'll put my body on the line now.

Your argument would have merit if it said "they should've increased the salary pool for assistants so a first-time HC can get better bench help" - but again, that would be new for you. An argument with merit, that is.

Thorr (spell it right, you've been trolling on here for years, you might as well figure that out), doesn't have money period. It's up to the donors and the URI Foundation. Tom Ryan happens to be the largest donor and in charge of the Foundation. If he wants the change, we'll make the change.

A lot of that may be if the new president wants to listen to Tom's suggestion of a replacement. The old president did not. And Tom Ryan hasn't contributed any meaningful CapEx dollars since then.

Also, can't you keep your trolling straight? You were rallying that DC wasn't going to get fired, he was going to leave here for another job because he would become so wildly successful and price himself out of the market.

I don't understand how you have the free time to keep coming on here - but hey, whatever floats your boat.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's almost like job postings routinely say salary commensurate with experience or something
3 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Blue Man wrote: 2 years agoLet me put it this way. I'll have them picked as a 14/3 or 13/4 upset.
Agree, I can see that happening.

I think PC is in a tough spot, Cooley has a lot of nccat appearances at PC, they like: all those wins, the extra $ that comes with ncaat bids, the media exposure, and he has resurrected their program. But, his ceiling is IMO pretty low as far as advancing in the ncaat. They need to fire him. There are a lot of good coaches out there, they can find somebody better. Cooley has been given enough time, he has not delivered.

I am sure they are afraid of firing him for fear that the next guy will be worse.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years agoLet me put it this way. I'll have them picked as a 14/3 or 13/4 upset.

I think PC is in a tough spot, Cooley has a lot of nccat appearances at PC, they like: all those wins, the extra $ that comes with ncaat bids, the media exposure, and he has resurrected their program. But, his ceiling is IMO pretty low as far as advancing in the ncaat. They need to fire him. There are a lot of good coaches out there, they can find somebody better. Cooley has been given enough time, he has not delivered.

I am sure they are afraid of firing him for fear that the next guy will be worse.
They haven't had much better.

He's their best since Pete Gillen? Rick Barnes?

What he's doing has for the most part been PC's ceiling. They were only great in the early 70's, otherwise they've just been a solid big east team bordering on lower tier Big East team all time.

I think they're pretty content with him.

Would be pretty fuckin funny if they lost as a 4+ seed
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

It's such a tough spot. If he gets them a top 10 ranking this year, near or at the top of the Big East, and then a first round loss to a 13 or 14 seed... what do you do? I don't interact much with their fans and am certainly not plugged in, but I feel like a lot of them are quite satisfied with a monster regular season and believe the NCAA wins "will come". What if they don't? How long do you wait, especially if he continues to crush January and February and falter in March?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Saying PC needs to fire Cooley when he has them 11th in the country, 20-2, first place in the Big East and trending towards a Top 3 seed is a WILD take.

He's checked every box, except obviously advancing in the tournament.

If he doesn't make the second weekend this year, it would be a massive, massive failure.

That being said, firing him isn't going to, and shouldn't happen whatsoever.

People calling me a PC fan even though I just gave a logical neutral take in 3, 2, 1,...
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Saying PC needs to fire Cooley when he has them 11th in the country, 20-2, first place in the Big East and trending towards a Top 3 seed is a WILD take.

He's checked every box, except obviously advancing in the tournament.

If he doesn't make the second weekend this year, it would be a massive, massive failure.

That being said, firing him isn't going to, and shouldn't happen whatsoever.

People calling me a PC fan even though I just have a logical neutral take in 3, 2, 1,...
The take about them only being good in the 70's while ignoring their final four run in the late 80's, and elite 8 in '97 is um...odd.

But the idea of firing Cooley seems incredibly wild. Like most PC fans I know don't think he's a great "coach" - but as a player developer, recruiter, program masthead, and representative of the school? There's really not a lot better. Plus he's a great guy. Hate him or otherwise, he's a good dude.

If you're a PC fan you take national relevancy, big wins, and a near-guaranteed trip to the NCAA over the alternative.

Would you rather be us? Underinvest in the right guy, and then start all over?

Are there better coaches than Cooley out there? Sure. But there are WAY more David Cox's than Ed Cooley's in the NCAA ranks.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Thor doesn't have the money to fire Cox and pay a replacement who would demand a much higher salary. Thor should never have hired Cox for less than he was paying Hurley. You need to pay the position not the incumbent. Now that money is gone. Thor downgraded MBB. It wouldn't surprise me if Thor hired a Tyson Wheeler to replace Cox.
Absolutely brilliant post as usual. In fact we should have paid Cox MORE than Hurley because you always pay more for a coach with no experience as a head coach versus a coach with decades of experience as a head coach. It's precisely this perspicacity that makes me realize I've discovered your true identity. Thorr Bjorn a/k/a Rhody72 thank you for your participation in Keaney Blue!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If ever Cooley was going to take the money and run this would be the year. Could be the last financial inflection point of his career...they will undoubtedly step back next year with major roster departures. His stock will never likely be higher than it is now. Would he make a $5m/year move to a tier 1 P5 (ie Maryland, Louisville)? No clue, but I have a fairly reliable source that claims he would have taken the Michigan job if offered.

However, the idea of him being fired is preposterous given his recent and career results there. If he doesn't leave for greener pastures he is their CFL short of a multi-year monumental collapse from relevance which I just don't see ever happening. But if he doesn't get at least 1 win this year he will soon be considered the Buffalo Bills of college hoops.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If ever Cooley was going to take the money and run this would be the year. Could be the last financial inflection point of his career...they will undoubtedly step back next year with major roster departures. His stock will never likely be higher than it is now. Would he make a $5m/year move to a tier 1 P5 (ie Maryland, Louisville)? No clue, but I have a fairly reliable source that claims he would have taken the Michigan job if offered.

However, the idea of him being fired is preposterous given his recent and career results there. If he doesn't leave for greener pastures he is their CFL short of a multi-year monumental collapse from relevance which I just don't see ever happening. But if he doesn't get at least 1 win this year he will soon be considered the Buffalo Bills of college hoops.
With this team and their production so far, Cooley needs at least two wins in the tourney.

They’ve already won one game, and this team will get a much better seed/draw.
1 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

are we serious?? We're talking about PC firing Cooley? that shit isn't happening. PC would shit on us right now. a big steamy turd, right on our chest.

PC fire Cooley?? That. Is. Hysterical. PC has literally, ALL the things that we want.

stop worrying about PC. worry about our own dumpster fire.
3 x
:lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago are we serious?? We're talking about PC firing Cooley? that shit isn't happening. PC would shit on us right now. a big steamy turd, right on our chest.

PC fire Cooley?? That. Is. Hysterical. PC has literally, ALL the things that we want.

stop worrying about PC. worry about our own dumpster fire.
To be fair, it was a Dayton fan who posted PC should fire him, probably as a troll post.
1 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago If ever Cooley was going to take the money and run this would be the year. Could be the last financial inflection point of his career...they will undoubtedly step back next year with major roster departures. His stock will never likely be higher than it is now. Would he make a $5m/year move to a tier 1 P5 (ie Maryland, Louisville)? No clue, but I have a fairly reliable source that claims he would have taken the Michigan job if offered.

A guy can dream, right?

Alright, enough about them. We have our own problems...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

hahaahahah this may be one of the best troll posts you've ever done. Tyson Wheeler literally made me crack up for about a minute. Bravo.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

You do understand that the amount of money the coach is paid has no bearing on his ability to do the job right? Like players don't look at their coaches contract and say - $750k/year? I'm not diving on the ball for that guy. Oh he's making $1.2? I'll put my body on the line now.

Your argument would have merit if it said "they should've increased the salary pool for assistants so a first-time HC can get better bench help" - but again, that would be new for you. An argument with merit, that is.

Thorr (spell it right, you've been trolling on here for years, you might as well figure that out), doesn't have money period. It's up to the donors and the URI Foundation. Tom Ryan happens to be the largest donor and in charge of the Foundation. If he wants the change, we'll make the change.

A lot of that may be if the new president wants to listen to Tom's suggestion of a replacement. The old president did not. And Tom Ryan hasn't contributed any meaningful CapEx dollars since then.

Also, can't you keep your trolling straight? You were rallying that DC wasn't going to get fired, he was going to leave here for another job because he would become so wildly successful and price himself out of the market.

I don't understand how you have the free time to keep coming on here - but hey, whatever floats your boat.
My favorite post from 72 is still "I know talent when I see it. I have experience hiring people" regarding us needing to extend Cox after we were like 5-6 last season.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

My favorite post from 72 is still "I know talent when I see it. I have experience hiring people" regarding us needing to extend Cox after we were like 5-6 last season.
I forgot all about that. That's a first ballot, unanimous HOF post
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

This is definitely a top 5 Troll HOF post by our resident nutjob...but that #1 spot is almost impossible for him to outdo.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Wild take...preposterous...hysterical...troll post...

Is it though? Maybe a little wild I suppose.

This is his 11th year there...5 ncaat appearances, 2 nit's.

ncaat record:
0-1
0-1
1-1
0-1
0-1
Total: 1-5

NIT record:
2-1
0-1

Makes the ncaat half of the time, 17% ncaat winning percentage. Are their fans happy with that? Highly doubtful.

Do they think they can do better? I have no idea.

At what point do you move on? What if he goes another 10 years and goes 5/10 and 1-5 again. You think he is still the coach at that point? 20 years, 10 ncaat appearances, 2-10 record. He wins a ncaat game once per decade.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago Wild take...preposterous...hysterical...troll post...

ncaat record:
0-1
0-1
1-1
0-1
0-1

NIT record:
2-1
0-1

Makes the ncaat half of the time, 17% ncaat winning percentage. Are there fans happy with that? Highly doubtful.

At what point do you move on? What if he goes another 10 years and goes 5/10 and 1-5 again. You think he is still the coach at that point? 20 years, 10 ncaat appearances, 2-10 record. He wins a ncaat game once per decade.
It's a fair point in a vacuum, DFF. And certainly, if it was a bigger program than Providence, you could make the case. I'd be listening if it was a previous national champion/clear top-20 job nationally.

But considering where Cooley is, the fit he is at that school and the standing in which he's held within the coaching community, firing him solely for a lack of NCAA success would make it next to impossible to make the subsequent hire. No agent could sanction a client moving to the Friars unless it was a massive overpay.

The business side has to be considered along with the on-court side.
5 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

the PC fans and season ticket holders I know are very happy with him and are concerned about a P5 school making him an offer.
2 x
:lol:
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Bill Koch wrote: 2 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago Wild take...preposterous...hysterical...troll post...

ncaat record:
0-1
0-1
1-1
0-1
0-1

NIT record:
2-1
0-1

Makes the ncaat half of the time, 17% ncaat winning percentage. Are there fans happy with that? Highly doubtful.

It's a fair point in a vacuum, DFF. And certainly, if it was a bigger program than Providence, you could make the case. I'd be listening if it was a previous national champion/clear top-20 job nationally.

But considering where Cooley is, the fit he is at that school and the standing in which he's held within the coaching community, firing him solely for a lack of NCAA success would make it next to impossible to make the subsequent hire. No agent could sanction a client moving to the Friars unless it was a massive overpay.

The business side has to be considered along with the on-court side.
Nailed it.

The other piece DFF, and this isn't something that's expected for you to know, but Ed Cooley is a local guy. He's from Providence.

He actually just sold his EG home and bought one closer to the water.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The Rams are 7-15 in the month of February under Cox including 1-8 the last two years.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The guy has to go. That is the end of this experiment. URI needs to cough up about $1.5 mill and hire a coach.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

STC wrote: 2 years ago The Rams are 7-15 in the month of February under Cox including 1-8 the last two years.
Baron 2.0
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago The Rams are 7-15 in the month of February under Cox including 1-8 the last two years.
Baron 2.0
At least someone finally earned the title.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

My season tix will be based on the next hire and salary paid. If they hire a coach with no experience and pay them $750K, I'm done.
5 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Baron 2.0
Now this seems appropriate. That thread during the 16-17 season was trash, but the checklist is here:

- Can't hold a lead?
- Decent games disintegrate in the second half?
- Pad schedule with cupcakes in OOC to "cook the books" for your overall record?
- Fan engagement dwindling?
- Inmates running the asylum?

Please others feel free to add to this list
7 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Your filters are funny…first it was “well I’ve never heard of them so I don’t like em” and now it’s “if they don’t pay XYZ I’m out.” There are scenarios where we make the right hire and don’t pay 1.5mm for it.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago My season tix will be based on the next hire and salary paid. If they hire a coach with no experience and pay them $750K, I'm done.
Nice knowing you. We don't think that big.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There aren’t many reasons to fire a college coach in season. But lack of control is 1 reason. Not sure how we can just keep racking up techs with no repercussions.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Can't wait for Morey's wrapup.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I just want to have something to look forward to for next season. Right now, I have nothing.
5 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I agree Billy. Let Coach Cox go and hire someone that excites the fan base. The next coach will have opportunity to offer and the transfer portal can cure many problems. Land a top 100 kid and the rebuild is in motion. The practice facility will bring some juice and life into the rebuild. The bottom half of the the A-10 is very week and any decent product will compete and win games. Get this hire right and we will be OK!

This will give me something to look forward to for next season. You can't bring this mess back with this collection of players!
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Thor really has no choice. Wheeler would not be the answer. Need a name and someone who can convince the players we want to retain or stay here, Not going to happen with a “rookie “ coach. And it will not happen if we fiddle fart around with filling the position.

Every player on the team is probably looking at his options for next year right now. With every passing day our chances of turning the corner next year are diminishing. Thor needs to get it done now. The end of the season could easily be too late !
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I mean, do we really care if we have roster attrition at this point? A good coach will retain anyone worth keeping. And honestly that list gets smaller with each game we play.
7 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I mean, do we really care if we have roster attrition at this point? A good coach will retain anyone worth keeping. And honestly that list gets smaller with each game we play.

My point is we want the new coaching staff to have the CHOICE of who they want to keep. And, the longer we are in limbo, the longer the likelihood that we won’t have a choice- Players will jump the ship UNLESS there is a credible reason to stay.

Fire Cox now , and fill the position quickly!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I mean, do we really care if we have roster attrition at this point? A good coach will retain anyone worth keeping. And honestly that list gets smaller with each game we play.
Nope not at all.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

My point is we want the new coaching staff to have the CHOICE of who they want to keep. And, the longer we are in limbo, the longer the likelihood that we won’t have a choice- Players will jump the ship UNLESS there is a credible reason to stay.

Fire Cox now , and fill the position quickly!
The best candidates for the job are all currently coaching. Unless you really want to see what Bozeman, Buchanan or Carroll can do in the seat, Cox is going to be in-charge. Again, it's not like if we fire Cox on Feb. 8, it magically means we have some head start on the process. Any agent that's remotely sane would advise his client to wait until after conference tournaments, at the very least, to get an idea of the full scope of available jobs.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And any rational player is going to wait and see what happens before they make up their mind. Like Oduro did when he took his name out of the portal bc English re-recruited him. Make the right hire and everything else takes care of itself. As SG said our next coach is currently employed any engagement with them is via agents and intermediaries.
4 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago The best candidates for the job are all currently coaching. Unless you really want to see what Bozeman, Buchanan or Carroll can do in the seat, Cox is going to be in-charge. Again, it's not like if we fire Cox on Feb. 8, it magically means we have some head start on the process. Any agent that's remotely sane would advise his client to wait until after conference tournaments, at the very least, to get an idea of the full scope of available jobs.

It's this.

I'll also add - I don't really see any advantage to firing him now, except as catharsis. And really just catharsis for us. We get a little bit "in the bubble" on this board in terms of thinking non-KB people are pissed. I mean definitely some are. But go look on Twitter, or even Facebook. There's some shade for sure, but you're gonna find a whole lotta Rhody alums/natives doing a whole lotta not tweeting about URI basketball. People just stop giving a shit, and I don't think cutting Cox loose in February when we know it's all over in a month anyways is gonna make people start giving a shit again. And since, like Greenwell said, our next hire aint available before March anyways, what's the point?

TLDR: You don't need to make a "statement firing" if no one is listening.
6 x