2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Murray St is consistently one of the best mid majors in the country.

Always in contention for an auto bid, and just today are ranked for the first time in a decade.

I had mentioned Steve Prohm earlier, former Murray St and Iowa St coach who has made and won in multiple NCAAs.
McMahon has a great reputation and a fine coach, but why would he come here?
He has no ties to this area and Murray State is doing well plus moving to the MVC next season.
I don't think we are enticing enough to be able to get him, his next move will be much higher.
Well for one, Cox makes 50% more than he does. Also, we offered Dan $2 million. So there's that.
He recently received an extension, so not sure how current those $'s are.
If he does make a move, I would think it would probably be to a P6.
I would be surprised if he would move up to the the Northeast for us.
Also because they offered DH that money, doubtful they would offer McMahon that much or even close.

If things move along as it now appears to, I would think Bobby Hurley would be a strong candidate.
He would be very close to family, and loves the area.
I think the A10 would be a good fit for him.
He has strong recruiting connections here, and I think we can get him for less than you think.
He still has 2 years left on his contract at about $2.5M/year, that would help supplement his salary here.

Here is another name to throw against the wall, John Groce, younger than I thought at 50.
He was a longtime assistant with Thad Matta at Butler, Xavier, and Ohio State.
In 2006 he was voted "The Top Recruiter in the Nation".
He was a successful HC at Ohio taking them to the Sweet 16.
Went to the NCAAT (2nd round) as HC of Illinois but did struggle in the B10.
Now at Akron in 2020 was voted MAC COY, and probably would of went to the NCAAT.
No connections to the Northeast, but the A10 would be a good move for him.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I like Groce as a candidate. I’ve mentioned Boals from that conference. Also regardless of your perceived view of Murray State vs URI if you offer to double his salary he will be interested. Anyone would be. People making 500-750k have to be in our consideration set bc if we can offer 1-1.2MM you can make a compelling offer. Leave Murray state for 100k more NO, for 500k YES.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Outside the box…Kevin Boyle?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

What is former Rutger's coach Mike Rice doing these days? I think he may be in D2 or maybe D3. At least we will know he has a pulse when coaching.

I think Cox may have been an assistant on his staff at Rutgers and an interim head coach when Rice was canned.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hell, for $500k I'll coach the team. Wasn't Pender's offered $500k at Texas back in 1989? LOL. We are paying coaches what Pender's made 30+ years ago at Texas. You get what you pay for.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I like Groce as a candidate. I’ve mentioned Boals from that conference. Also regardless of your perceived view of Murray State vs URI if you offer to double his salary he will be interested. Anyone would be. People making 500-750k have to be in our consideration set bc if we can offer 1-1.2MM you can make a compelling offer. Leave Murray state for 100k more NO, for 500k YES.
Rhode Island isn't much of a step up (if any currently) from Murray State.
Besides he has a strong program there and we would be a complete rebuild, is that really a great career move for him.
With his recent extension and them moving to the MVC, not sure the $ would be a huge difference.
Rather than risk losing him especially to us, I think they would come close to our offer.

Murray State' putting money into the program the CFSB center already seats 8,600.
https://goracers.com/news/2021/12/1/wom ... tball.aspx
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I like Groce as a candidate. I’ve mentioned Boals from that conference. Also regardless of your perceived view of Murray State vs URI if you offer to double his salary he will be interested. Anyone would be. People making 500-750k have to be in our consideration set bc if we can offer 1-1.2MM you can make a compelling offer. Leave Murray state for 100k more NO, for 500k YES.
Besides he has a strong program there and we would be a complete rebuild, is that really a great career move for him.
With his recent extension and them moving to the MVC, not sure the $ would be a huge difference.
Rather than risk losing him especially to us, I think they would come close to our offer.

Murray State' putting money into the program the CFSB center already seats 8,600.
Smoking tonight? The OVC? They have a team called SEMO and another called SIUE both who I never heard of. The A10 isn't a step up? Please pass me the pipe your sucking on.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Smoking tonight? The OVC? They have a team called SEMO and another called SIUE both who I never heard of. The A10 isn't a step up? Please pass me the pipe your sucking on.
Murray State is joining the MVC next season,
How big of a leap up do you currently think Rhode Island is over Murray State.
Let me have what you are smoking.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Some People in that area would have zero idea what URI stands for.

Murray St will also be in the MVC next year, one of the best mid major conferences.

Please follow along and get the facts straight when arguing.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How many Sweet 16's does Murray State have? They have won 3 or 4 NCAAT games in their history? Sorry, your half assed attempt to place them against URI is just that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Some People in that area would have zero idea what URI stands for.

Murray St will also be in the MVC next year, one of the best mid major conferences.

Please follow along and get the facts straight when arguing.
I saw SEMO vs SIUE on CBSSN or maybe it was NBSSN. Perhaps on ESPN. And honestly I don't know what area you are talking about, since I've never heard of those schoolsd.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

How many Sweet 16's does Murray State have? They have won 3 or 4 NCAAT games in their history? Sorry, your half assed attempt to place them against URI is just that.
We are comparing programs recently.
Plus, if their HC would leave for us.

Did you ever hear of Ja Morant?
He was a lottery pick now only 22 and an All-Star, contending for POY in the NBA.
Oh by the way Murray State is currently 22-2.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Wait, wait. I just looked at the OVC. Here's what I see for Net rankings. I'm not listing teams since most have never heard of them:
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Wait, wait. I just looked at the OVC. Here's what I see for Net rankings. I'm not listing teams since most have never heard of them:
We are talking about a coach's decision for next season, why do you keep bringing up the OVC?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think people put too much credence in the “our conference is better so we are more desirable” argument.

If a mid-major coach is successful, they are already a step away from a major conference job. Why go to a rebuilding program?

Think a former P5 coach trying to rebuild reputation is more likely.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Wait, wait. I just looked at the OVC. Here's what I see for Net rankings. I'm not listing teams since most have never heard of them:
We are talking about a coach's decision for next season, why do you keep bringing up the OVC?
You keep bringing up that Murray State is the same as URI. It is clearly not.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He has no ties to this area and Murray State is doing well plus moving to the MVC next season.
I don't think we are enticing enough to be able to get him, his next move will be much higher.
Well for one, Cox makes 50% more than he does. Also, we offered Dan $2 million. So there's that.
Also because they offered DH that money, doubtful they would offer McMahon that much or even close.

If things move along as it now appears to, I would think Bobby Hurley would be a strong candidate.
He has strong recruiting connections here, and I think we can get him for less than you think.
He still has 2 years left on his contract at about $2.5M/year, that would help supplement his salary here.

Here is another name to throw against the wall, John Groce, younger than I thought at 50.
Now at Akron in 2020 was voted MAC COY, and probably would of went to the NCAAT.
If ASU cans Bobby H I would hope Thorr makes his first phone call to try and hire him based on your above reasons !!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

IIRC, Bobby didn't have the desire to stay on the East coast like Dan did.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Murray State's last three coaches left for Cincinnati (Mick Cronin), Texas A&M (Billy Kennedy) and Iowa State (Steve Prohm).

You go from that job straight to the Power 5.

This will be a sobering discussion if the time eventually comes to have it. Coaching changes aren't a celebratory occasion. It means something and someone failed. It's painful for your players and program.
Last edited by Bill Koch 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I guess it depends on what P6 offers he gets if he’s out @ ASU , hard to know which ADs will come for him based on his track record at ASU

Just looked up his record 111-96 at ASU 53-64 conference

2 big dances no wins
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You keep bringing up that Murray State is the same as URI. It is clearly not.
See Bill Koch's post above.
What I initially said is I very much doubt McMahon will leave Murray State for URI.

BueRam get some rest.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I seriously doubt Bobby would want this job....when he came here it was a major rebuild....and if he were to come back, he would be facing another one.

Forget McMahon...right now URI is a step down.....and falling.

Cox has 9+ games to make things worse....and I'm confident he will.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I seriously doubt Bobby would want this job....when he came here it was a major rebuild....and if he were to come back, he would be facing another one.

Well, there wouldn't be big expectations for the immediate future.
Also, much less stress than the P6.
He would still have a nice package from ASU, so the $ not a huge problem for him.
Also, very close to his brother and not far from his parents.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I seriously doubt Bobby would want this job....when he came here it was a major rebuild....and if he were to come back, he would be facing another one.

He would still have a nice package from ASU, so the $ not a huge problem for him.
He would get 4 years like Cox.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch wrote: 2 years ago Murray State's last three coaches left for Cincinnati (Mick Cronin), Texas A&M (Billy Kennedy) and Iowa State (Steve Prohm).

You go from that job straight to the Power 5.

This will be a sobering discussion if the time eventually comes to have it. Coaching changes aren't a celebratory occasion. It means something and someone failed. It's painful for your players and program.
Well Bill, our last 4 coaches went to UConn, Georgia and 2 were fired.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago John Becker?
He was one of the four finalists when we hired Cox, so I'm sure he would be looked at
Safe hire. Wouldn't hate it, but it wouldn't immediately get me running to celebrate either.
Not a splash hire but very deserving of an interview and should be on the short list.

Although he seems to be happy up there, not sure he would leave anyway.
Possibly for us because we aren't far, and the money may be worth it.

Let's face it, there wasn't any real list when they hired Cox.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He would get 4 years like Cox.
I think he would do well at our level and in the A10. IMO
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bobby is never going to follow Dan’s legacy here. What brother would want to do that? It’s a no win situation.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Bobby is never going to follow Dan’s legacy here. What brother would want to do that? It’s a no win situation.
You may be right BAR; I just threw it out there.
Although he may like the challenge, it would be interesting.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What you guys think of Jeff Capel if he gets canned at Pitt ??

Lots of experience but failed miserably @ Pitt ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago What you guys think of Jeff Capel if he gets canned at Pitt ??

I like Capel also. I mentioned him earlier in this thread.
He took VCU to the NCAAT and OK to the Elite 8.

He would do well at this level and has good recruiting connections.

He is another former Duke assistant along with Wojo.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago What you guys think of Jeff Capel if he gets canned at Pitt ??

I like Capel also. I mentioned him earlier in this thread.
He took VCU to the NCAAT and OK State to the Elite 8.

He would do well at this level and has good recruiting connections.

He is another former Duke assistant along with Mojo.
Right and him getting another P6 opportunity now may be a long shot after his performance @ Pitt
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Outside the box…Kevin Boyle?
The high school coach? I don't necessarily hate it, but if he's on the list then you might as well add assistant coaches back to the candidate list because they have the same effective experience
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago What is former Rutger's coach Mike Rice doing these days? I think he may be in D2 or maybe D3. At least we will know he has a pulse when coaching.

I think Cox may have been an assistant on his staff at Rutgers and an interim head coach when Rice was canned.
Hard pass after the stories we heard coming out of that program and how he treated Biruta. Maybe he's changed, but I don't have interest in being the program that tries to find out
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Very pedestrian resume outside of his two years with Blake Griffin. I would have him on the list but I'd hope we can do better
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He’s probably considered the best high school coach in the country. Wagner hired a high school coach and then we hired that coach. But it is a bit outside the box.

No way on Capel. His last 6 seasons (OU and Pitt) have all been losing seasons. He had 1 magical year at OU bc of Blake Griffin but hasn’t shown much beyond that year. A few other coaches even achieved more than he did at VCU.

I don’t like any Duke assistants for that matter. They are like offensive coordinators that worked with Brady; is it really them or the program around it. I prefer guys who have done more with less vs someone with all kinds of built in advantages.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Pass on Jeff Capel. He's produced only 3 20+ win seasons in 13 years despite coaching at VCU, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh... hardly moribund basketball programs. The only year he did anything was the year Blake Griffin put Oklahoma on his back in the 2008-09 campaign.

Wojo I'm a pass on too. He inherited a Marquette program that had made the dance 8 of 9 years and then produced 2 tournament teams in 7 years.

The recent Coach K coaching tree feels a bit like the Belichick coaching tree. Wojo, Capel, Johnny Dawkins, Chris Collins all producing mixed results when having to do it by themselves.
Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

John Becker deserves more love than he's getting on this board. I think the fact he has been at Vermont for over a decade now lends him to becoming a stale option for URI, but when you look at the numbers he's turned Vermont into a consistent power in the America East.
  • Won 20 games each of his first nine seasons at Vermont. Would likely have been 11 straight but Covid.
  • 247-100 .712 overall at UVM.
  • 3 NCAA Tournament appearances.
  • 4 seasons of 25+ wins.
  • Five straight regular season championships.
  • UVM hasn't had a 10+ losses in a season since 2015-16.
Success at Vermont can translate to the A10. Becker followed Mike Lonergan after he left Vermont for GWU. Obviously, it didn't work out for Lonergan but GWU was clearly a program on the rise at the time of his dismissal.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/co ... ker-1.html
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago Pass on Jeff Capel. He's produced only 3 20+ win seasons in 13 years despite coaching at VCU, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh... hardly moribund basketball programs. The only year he did anything was the year Blake Griffin put Oklahoma on his back in the 2008-09 campaign.

Wojo I'm a pass on too. He inherited a Marquette program that had made the dance 8 of 9 years and then produced 2 tournament teams in 7 years.

The recent Coach K coaching tree feels a bit like the Belichick coaching tree. Wojo, Capel, Johnny Dawkins, Chris Collins all producing mixed results when having to do it by themselves.
Yes, the coach K tree certainly had some mixed results, mostly very pedestrian, a couple of others:

Mike Brey - Has a very long and somewhat successful career at ND: 12 NCAAT including a Sweet 16 and 2 Elite 8, but he probably ran its course over there. Prior to that did wonders at Delaware in 5 years with 2 NCAAT.

Tommy Amaker- Went to the Sweet 16 with SH, then struggled at Michigan.
He found a nice home at Harvard and did make them relevant, not easy to do for them.
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago I think people put too much credence in the “our conference is better so we are more desirable” argument.

If a mid-major coach is successful, they are already a step away from a major conference job. Why go to a rebuilding program?

Think a former P5 coach trying to rebuild reputation is more likely.
This is my thinking exactly. We are much more likely to get and land a P5 retread. I also think it’s a little more “secure” than taking a gambling on finding another DH from a lower conference.

With that said - Bobby Hurley would be my target. I don’t know how ASU keeps him after this season. The hire would check almost all the boxes. We get the Hurley brand of basketball back, he is probably less interested in a big pay day (guy already has money) - so hes MAYBE affordable, he’s back near family/roots, he’s a known name and coach, has deep recruiting ties up in the NE, he’s familiar with workings of URI admin/operations, overall solid coaching resume.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Pass on Jeff Capel. He's produced only 3 20+ win seasons in 13 years despite coaching at VCU, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh... hardly moribund basketball programs. The only year he did anything was the year Blake Griffin put Oklahoma on his back in the 2008-09 campaign.

They'd be more successful if he showed them how to get every single call like he does.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

STC wrote: 2 years ago John Becker deserves more love than he's getting on this board. I think the fact he has been at Vermont for over a decade now lends him to becoming a stale option for URI, but when you look at the numbers he's turned Vermont into a consistent power in the America East.
  • Won 20 games each of his first nine seasons at Vermont. Would likely have been 11 straight but Covid.
  • 4 seasons of 25+ wins.
Success at Vermont can translate to the A10. Becker followed Mike Lonergan after he left Vermont for GWU. Obviously, it didn't work out for Lonergan but GWU was clearly a program on the rise at the time of his dismissal.

Agreed 100%, Becker should be a top target. I am surprised as well that the fans wouldn’t be excited with him. He has been consistently successful for a decade. He is from new england and currently recruiting in new england. He might even stay for an extended period and wouldn’t require a high salary. No guarantees with anyone but he checks pretty much all the boxes on paper.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago John Becker deserves more love than he's getting on this board. I think the fact he has been at Vermont for over a decade now lends him to becoming a stale option for URI, but when you look at the numbers he's turned Vermont into a consistent power in the America East.
  • 4 seasons of 25+ wins.

Agreed 100%, Becker should be a top target. I am surprised as well that the fans wouldn’t be excited with him. He has been consistently successful for a decade. He is from new england and currently recruiting in new england. He might even stay for an extended period and wouldn’t require a high salary. No guarantees with anyone but he checks pretty much all the boxes on paper.
As I said he would probably be on the short list, deservedly so.

Becker can certainly coach.
But most on this board feel he doesn't bring the WOW factor.
He will be 54 and only coached at Vermont (Div.1) with only 1 NCAAT victory back in 2012.

Many of our fans will be concerned how that will translate to the A10.
What assistants will he bring in, hopefully not just his staff from Vermont.
Can he recruit at this level to be competitive with the top tier teams of our conference?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

eli#10 wrote: 2 years ago What is former Rutger's coach Mike Rice doing these days? I think he may be in D2 or maybe D3. At least we will know he has a pulse when coaching.

Hard pass after the stories we heard coming out of that program and how he treated Biruta. Maybe he's changed, but I don't have interest in being the program that tries to find out
-Every program that passed on the Rick
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

RhowdyRam just wants a choir boy head coach.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yeah all those Auburn, Iona, and Houston fans really struggle to look in the mirror these days. The pain they feel must be unbearable.

Everyone conveniently forgets that Todd Bozeman was paying recruits and got hit with a show-cause - yet everyone on here was so supportive of bringing on someone with so much experience! In fact I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to bring that up on the board....but David Cox would NEVER have someone like that around the program. Ty Boswell was an upstanding citizen. Nothing dirty going on there!

In fact - 2 days ago -
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Bozeman isn't the long term answer, but he's plenty qualified to get this team to the finish line.
Why weren't you clutching your pearls here? Demanding someone so dirty be far away from this program?

Get off your high horse. If you don't like rooting for "dirty" people than college basketball isn't the sport for you.

Right now I'm rooting for the team I have loved since I was 3 years old to lose so they can fire their coach and start over. If Saddam Hussein had a cohesive offensive philosophy and could get his team to commit to defensive principles I'd be rallying for him and so would you. Stop being so sanctimonious.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yeah all those Auburn, Iona, and Houston fans really struggle to look in the mirror these days. The pain they feel must be unbearable.

Everyone conveniently forgets that Todd Bozeman was paying recruits and got hit with a show-cause - yet everyone on here was so supportive of bringing on someone with so much experience! In fact I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to bring that up on the board....but David Cox would NEVER have someone like that around the program. Ty Boswell was an upstanding citizen. Nothing dirty going on there!

In fact - 2 days ago -
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Bozeman isn't the long term answer, but he's plenty qualified to get this team to the finish line.
Why weren't you clutching your pearls here? Demanding someone so dirty be far away from this program?

Get off your high horse. If you don't like rooting for "dirty" people than college basketball isn't the sport for you.

Right now I'm rooting for the team I have loved since I was 3 years old to lose so they can fire their coach and start over. If Saddam Hussein had a cohesive offensive philosophy and could get his team to commit to defensive principles I'd be rallying for him and so would you. Stop being so sanctimonious.
As I said, I would hire Murphy back in a second as an assistant once he becomes available.
I felt his penalty was unjust.

Definitely a big no for Mike Rice, he did nothing positive for Rutgers.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

In fact - 2 days ago -

As I said, I would hire Murphy back in a second as an assistant once he becomes available.
I felt his penalty was unjust.

Definitely a big no for Mike Rice, he did nothing positive for Rutgers.
I have no problem with that attitude. I didn't think Rice was a good coach either.

I think everyone would welcome Preston back with open arms as an assistant - though personally I'm all set with the "first time head coach" scenario.

I just don't get why people are pretending that our guys cheat the right way but we don't have the appetite for the type of cheating that other people do. It's just classic pearl clutching and virtue signaling - but turning a blind eye if they're your guys.

Bozeman was also given a restraining order against a student at Cal and was accused of sexual harassment.

But no he's plenty qualified because he's already a Ram!

Go get good coaches and win basketball games.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Bozeman looks like he's here just to collect a check
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Bozeman looks like he's here just to collect a check
I've never seen an assistant look so disinterested on the bench. He definitely is.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING