2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago What about Niko Medved as a potential candidate?
That'd be fantastic, but it would be a step down for him. The MWC is a better conference then the A10 at this point, and they just signed him to an extension at a base of $750k a year through 2026-27, compared to the base of $300k we are willing to pay. Not sure about what incentives may come in to play.
You're dreaming about Medved.
Why would he come here, not like he has close connections to the Northeast?
The MWC is one of the top Mid-Major conferences and he is having a great season at CSU.
His next move won't be here.

Aside from all the other candidates named in earlier posts, another more realistic one, but not one of my favorites would be Robert Jones from Norfolk State, a native New Yorker.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago What about Niko Medved as a potential candidate?
That'd be fantastic, but it would be a step down for him. The MWC is a better conference then the A10 at this point, and they just signed him to an extension at a base of $750k a year through 2026-27, compared to the base of $300k we are willing to pay. Not sure about what incentives may come in to play.
You're dreaming about Medved.
Why would he come here, not like he has close connections to the Northeast?
The MWC is one of the top Mid-Major conferences and he is having a great season at CSU.
His next move won't be here.

Aside from all the other candidates named in earlier posts, another more realistic one, but not one of my favorites would be Robert Jones from Norfolk State, a native New Yorker.
I’m sure he could he convinced if we were able to pony up $1.5M. Just saying there’s a middle ground market. I think everyone believes it is either $2M for Archie or $750k for a new coach. We could poach someone from a similar program with a solid offer.

I don’t believe Medved is a likely candidate but we should consider all options.

Agree with you about Jones being someone that could be in the mix.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Alright, so, Niko Medved isn't making the lateral move to URI, but why not Bob Richey? Richey served as an assistant on Medved's coaching staff at Furman and took over for Medved when he left to be the head coach at Drake. Richey has produced solid teams in his first four years at Furman despite not producing a tournament team in the one bid SoCon. Medved never made an NCAA Tournament at Furman either and he seems to be doing just fine at Colorado State. The concern with Richey is that his coaching history is based entirely in the southeast so it's unclear how that would translate to URI and recruiting. Regardless, his success at Furman should put him in the conversation for next head coach at URI.

Furman 23-10 (13-5)
Furman 25-8 (13-5)
Furman 25-7 (15-3)
Furman 16-9 (10-5)
Furman 17-8 (9-3)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago Alright, so, Niko Medved isn't making the lateral move to URI, but why not Bob Richey? Richey served as an assistant on Medved's coaching staff at Furman and took over for Medved when he left to be the head coach at Drake. Richey has produced solid teams in his first four years at Furman despite not producing a tournament team in the one bid SoCon. Medved never made an NCAA Tournament at Furman either and he seems to be doing just fine at Colorado State. The concern with Richey is that his coaching history is based entirely in the southeast so it's unclear how that would translate to URI and recruiting. Regardless, his success at Furman should put him in the conversation for next head coach at URI.

Furman 23-10 (13-5)
Furman 25-8 (13-5)
Furman 25-7 (15-3)
Furman 16-9 (10-5)
Furman 17-8 (9-3)
Richey is a very good young coach and will probably move on at some point.

I am just not sure he would be a good fit here based on his background and this job most likely will require a complete rebuild.
Depending upon what happens with others he may be worth a look.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Bad info. My apologies. Saw the story and thought it was current. Sunday brain fog.
Last edited by CaptainRon 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago GWs coach was just fired for player abuse.
That's not the first time GW has whacked a coach for that reason, IIRC.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would rather have a drop down P5 coach than an uprising coach at this point. Give me a proven coach.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have not found this. Source?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
That was Mike Lonergan back in 2016.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
That was Mike Lonergan back in 2016.
Duh, I’m an idiot. Never checked the date. I know better to double check this stuff too. My apologies again.
Last edited by CaptainRon 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I would rather have a drop down P5 coach than an uprising coach at this point. Give me a proven coach.
Like who? And u can’t say Millers or Mack bc let’s deal in reality
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I would rather have a drop down P5 coach than an uprising coach at this point. Give me a proven coach.
Both Bobby Hurley and Jeff Capel may be available and join Mojo at the end of the season.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Gotta think 1 of the Miller boys gets the Pitt job
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Gotta think 1 of the Miller boys gets the Pitt job
Yep, I said that very early on, they are from the Pitt area..

Also wouldn't be surprised if Turg ends up at KState, if Weber is let go as expected.
Maybe even Gregg Marshall, just up the road from Wichita State.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like this as well if they have a good track record . Let’s see what the final candidates look like and then we should have a good idea
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Another name that I wouldn’t mind?

Steve Prohm.

Multiple OVC titles, and one NCAA tournament win with Murray St.

3 NCAA appearances with Iowa St, including a Sweet 16.

Absolutely zero ties to the northeast, but a proven winner at the mid major and P6 level who isn’t coaching this season.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m thrilled to see Bashir having continued success at Wagner and Shaheen doing well at St. Peter’s.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I would just like the billionaire who said he wants us to be the “gonzaga of the east” wanted to break off like 1/2 of 1% of his net worth for the program, we could get someone like a Chris Mack and make good on that claim.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
I still don’t understand why you’re acting like going after Archie Miller is like going after Coach K….Why is a former A10 coach who didn’t succeed at a high major completely unrealistic??
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
I still don’t understand why you’re acting like going after Archie Miller is like going after Coach K….Why is a former A10 coach who didn’t succeed at a high major completely unrealistic??
Kind of like Travis Ford. UMass to OK St to St Louis. He actually took OK St to 5 NCAAs (only 1 win).
3 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I would just like the billionaire who said he wants us to be the “gonzaga of the east” wanted to break off like 1/2 of 1% of his net worth for the program, we could get someone like a Chris Mack and make good on that claim.
AOC burner account?
2 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

Kind of like Travis Ford. UMass to OK St to St Louis. He actually took OK St to 5 NCAAs (only 1 win).
I heard Ford's compensation package in 2018 was around $2M.
SLU also has a $25M state-of-the-art basketball development center.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Archie Miller is much better than what we have but really limited. Sean Miller is the star.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller is much better than what we have but really limited. Sean Miller is the star.
We're not getting Sean Milller.

Are we really at the point to say Archie Miller is "limited" when he won 5 NCAA game at Dayton, including an Elite 8?

People are already getting carried away with coaches they think we have a chance at.

Zero chance we get Sean, and I'd say a small chance we get Archie.
4 x
Go Rhody
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Sarcasm alert.... Let's bring in an up and coming (maybe still suspended) assistant coach from Cal State Northridge. He's only 83 and he has ties to URI too....
0 x
'No Mercy.'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller is much better than what we have but really limited. Sean Miller is the star.
Yeah, the FBI loves Sean. Can we stop pining after criminals to coach the team?
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago Sarcasm alert.... Let's bring in an up and coming (maybe still suspended) assistant coach from Cal State Northridge. He's only 83 and he has ties to URI too....
I had no idea Harrick was an assistant there
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

Or Anthony Grant…
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Bruce Pearl cheated and has the number 1 team in the country.

You really need to stop thinking this is a catholic elementary school and we have to hire a holier than thou coach.

We have zero chance at Miller, but please stop acting like we have to hire a coach so squeaky clean he hasn’t even gotten a parking ticket.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

You really need to stop thinking this is a catholic elementary school and we have to hire a holier than thou coach.

We have zero chance at Miller, but please stop acting like we have to hire a coach so squeaky clean he hasn’t even gotten a parking ticket.
Exactly....only NCAA approval matters.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You know who's squeaky clean? Guys like Dave Cox. And I would still bet he had to cut some deals down the line to bring certain players in.

I'm all set. If you start a school only hiring "good" guys - you will be worse than Fordham.

This is not the United Way. This is a basketball program. Basketball at all levels is the dirtiest of all sports to recruit and win in.

This idea of having a "clean" coach is like driving a Tesla and thinking you're doing so good for the environment....until you google what a Cobalt mine looks like and understand where the power you're charging your car comes from.

They're all dirty. Get off your high horse. Support a winner or go down and set up a cheering section at your local food pantry.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There's a giant difference between running afoul of NCAA rules and being investigated by the FBI. I have no interest in one of the latter coaches
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

There's a giant difference between running afoul of NCAA rules and being investigated by the FBI. I have no interest in one of the latter coaches
If Rhody was 18-3 right now, ranked #20, and we were booking tickets for DC/wondering where we would be playing in the tourney this year - would you really be on this board saying "ugh but Rick Pitino isn't a nice man."

Or would you really have left the fanbase?

Are we so pathetic as fans that we want to lose and pretend that we're somehow morally superior because our coach hasn't been caught with his hand in the cookie jar yet?
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..who was it that said something like……’if your not cheating, your not trying…….’
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

If Rhody was 18-3 right now, ranked #20, and we were booking tickets for DC/wondering where we would be playing in the tourney this year - would you really be on this board saying "ugh but Rick Pitino isn't a nice man."

Are we so pathetic as fans that we want to lose and pretend that we're somehow morally superior because our coach hasn't been caught with his hand in the cookie jar yet?
I wouldn't be excited at all, because I'd be waiting to see how our program would get nuked. It's nice that the NCAA ignores bigger schools, we wouldn't be getting that same treatment.

I don't understand the hang up on known criminals. Our last coach showed you can have a successful program here and not do illegal shit that gets on to the FBI radar
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Every D1 coach, to a degree, cheats or skirts the rules. There are levels to this. And there is going to be some level of tolerance of what is and isn't acceptable to URI. Same as any corporation or institution.

In terms of Archie and why I think he isn't a realistic candidate: he is sitting on a stack of money and doesn't have to make a quick move, he prob would command at or close to $2MM and I don't see us paying that and lastly I think he will get another P6 shot.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I’m not in the business of hiring downright criminally bad people.

But many coaches who have been “in trouble with the NCAA” essentially paid recruits or their families. Something which is now essentially legal.

Everything should be evaluated with context. But I don’t think we’re in the position to play god
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

To this point, I've always been a fan of Jim Harrick and am glad he replaced Al Skinner. Fine, he ran afoul of NCAA rules, but how many of those rules were stupid as hell, and he and the programs he was associated with would get punished by the NCAA when it went over the line. But again, there's a world of difference between that and people like Rick Pitino and Sean Miller who have had the FBI investigating what's happening in their programs.

I can live if URI breaks NCAA rules because I know most if not all schools at this level and above are doing something, though I'd prefer we didn't. I'm completely out if we're doing anything illegal in the real world, legal sense. I think that just comes down to I love URI the University and so by extension I love the athletic programs rather than my priority being the athletic department
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….NCAA stupid rules files……..years ago, a Marist College former coach gave a winter coat to a recruit getting off the plane in NYC from Holland, Rick Smits…….who went on to the NBA……coach was sited for violation of NCAA rules……

.who went on play in NBA
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

To this point, I've always been a fan of Jim Harrick and am glad he replaced Al Skinner. Fine, he ran afoul of NCAA rules, but how many of those rules were stupid as hell, and he and the programs he was associated with would get punished by the NCAA when it went over the line. But again, there's a world of difference between that and people like Rick Pitino and Sean Miller who have had the FBI investigating what's happening in their programs.

I can live if URI breaks NCAA rules because I know most if not all schools at this level and above are doing something, though I'd prefer we didn't. I'm completely out if we're doing anything illegal in the real world, legal sense. I think that just comes down to I love URI the University and so by extension I love the athletic programs rather than my priority being the athletic department
Lmao he had his son running fake classes. That's pretty bad.

If you knew anything about Odom's recruitment and time here you'd blush.

Do you really think Harrick got fired from UCLA a year after winning a national championship with a top 5 team coming into the season for lying about a recruiting dinner? You're literally doing mental gymnastics because you want him to be your kind of "acceptable" dirty.

I love Harrick too. I also don't pretend to have some virtuous attachment to my teams and act like we're sooooooo much better than everyone else. Like hey, we don't win, but we're so clean when we lose it's ok.

URI is so dirty with the political corruption that it amazes me your #1 love is the University ahead of athletics. I love it all too, I just don't pretend to have moral outrage at something that comes with the territory.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I wouldn't be excited at all, because I'd be waiting to see how our program would get nuked. It's nice that the NCAA ignores bigger schools, we wouldn't be getting that same treatment.

I don't understand the hang up on known criminals. Our last coach showed you can have a successful program here and not do illegal shit that gets on to the FBI radar

I kinda respect you completely 10000% bullshitting us saying you wouldn’t be excited with Blue Man’s scenario all because Pitino is our coach.

That is absolutely hilarious you actually typed that out.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I kinda respect you completely 10000% bullshitting us saying you wouldn’t be excited with Blue Man’s scenario all because Pitino is our coach.

Thats absolutely hilarious you actually typed that out.
Yeah I remember my parents in the immediate aftermath of the Kansas upset in '98 sitting me down to talk to me about how we shouldn't be too happy because Harrick could be dirty based on the hasty firing from UCLA.

So we didn't celebrate at all, and went and sat in silent prayer for moral superiority as we went about our lives as if nothing happened.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

What about MATT MCMAHON at Murray State

Breakdown of Matt McMahon’s contract:
$500,000 total annual salary
-$395,000 in base salary
-$105,000 in private funds/multimedia/ticket sales/fundraising
Incentives:
$15,000 bonus to win OVC tournament or at-large bid in NCAA
$10,000 bonus for OVC regular season title w/out NCAA
$15,000 bonus for NCAA Tournament 1st Round
$15,000 bonus for NCAA Tournament 2nd Round
$20,000 bonus for NCAA Tournament Sweet 16/Elite 8
$30,000 bonus for NCAA Tournament Final Four
$50,000 bonus for NCAA Tournament National Title
$10,000 bonus for Ohio Valley Conference Coach of the Year
$10,000 bonus for National Coach of the Year
$10,000 bonus for 20 win season
$20,000 bonus for 25 win season

Buyouts:
$500,000 owed to Murray State if leaves for another school
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago What about MATT MCMAHON at Murray State

-$395,000 in base salary
Incentives:

Buyouts:

Murray St is consistently one of the best mid majors in the country.

Always in contention for an auto bid, and just today are ranked for the first time in a decade.

I had mentioned Steve Prohm earlier, former Murray St and Iowa St coach who has made and won in multiple NCAAs.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

-$395,000 in base salary
Incentives:

Buyouts:
This would be a home run in my opinion.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

-$395,000 in base salary
Incentives:

Buyouts:

Always in contention for an auto bid, and just today are ranked for the first time in a decade.

I had mentioned Steve Prohm earlier, former Murray St and Iowa St coach who has made and won in multiple NCAAs.
McMahon has a great reputation and a fine coach, but why would he come here?
He has no ties to this area and Murray State is doing well plus moving to the MVC next season.
I don't think we are enticing enough to be able to get him, his next move will be much higher.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Lmao he had his son running fake classes. That's pretty bad.

If you knew anything about Odom's recruitment and time here you'd blush.

Do you really think Harrick got fired from UCLA a year after winning a national championship with a top 5 team coming into the season for lying about a recruiting dinner? You're literally doing mental gymnastics because you want him to be your kind of "acceptable" dirty.

I love Harrick too. I also don't pretend to have some virtuous attachment to my teams and act like we're sooooooo much better than everyone else. Like hey, we don't win, but we're so clean when we lose it's ok.

URI is so dirty with the political corruption that it amazes me your #1 love is the University ahead of athletics. I love it all too, I just don't pretend to have moral outrage at something that comes with the territory.
North Carolina literally had an entire department that was running fake courses, worse than anything Harrick's son did. We got put on probation, nothing happened to UNC. That gets to my point that unfortunately we can skirt the line but we do have to do things cleaner and better than the big schools.

I don't see how being ok with running up against the NCAA but not ok with breaking real laws to the point law enforcement is investigating is some kind of mental gymnastics, that feels pretty easy to accept, but to each their own
1 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

-$395,000 in base salary
Incentives:

Buyouts:

He has no ties to this area and Murray State is doing well plus moving to the MVC next season.
I don't think we are enticing enough to be able to get him, his next move will be much higher.
Haha no kidding. The idea that we have more to offer than Murray State shows the cognitive dissonance here on this website. Murray State is a wagon. Our last two outside hires came from Bonaventure and Wagner, now we think we're getting a guy who wins conference titles and recruits lottery picks. Sure.
2 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

-$395,000 in base salary
Incentives:

Buyouts:

Well for one, Cox makes 50% more than he does. Also, we offered Dan $2 million. So there's that.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Well for one, Cox makes 50% more than he does. Also, we offered Dan $2 million. So there's that.
Cognitive dissonance my ass...Cox's compensation package is much more rich than McMahon's.
1 x