2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/i ... g-olympics

Lol...is there anyone...anywhere...that is saying, "oh no, please...not that..."? After all, there are no more beloved folk on earth than "American dignitaries".... :lol: :lol:

WASHINGTON -- President Joe Biden said Thursday that the United States was considering a diplomatic boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in Beijing over China's human rights abuses, a move that would keep American dignitaries, but not athletes, from the Games.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

Unread post by theblueram »

Beijing Winter Olympics? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man, you crack me up.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Beijing Winter Olympics? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man, you crack me up.
The Olympics wasn't the point (could really care less)...it's the idea that "American dignitaries may not attend" was actually a front page espn story. Like, who the eff would want to go there in the first place...much less give a ratsy about whether our stuffed shirts go... :roll: Gas is creeping toward $4 and this admin is concerned with making a show as to whether Mayor Pete goes to the Olympics or not...Mayor Pete (just using as a proxy for the likely level of 'dignitary') is probably praying for that boycott.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As long as the hockey team makes the trip I'll be fine. Olympic hockey after the group stage might be the top version of the sport, even better than the Stanley Cup playoffs
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago As long as the hockey team makes the trip I'll be fine. Olympic hockey after the group stage might be the top version of the sport, even better than the Stanley Cup playoffs
x2

'Merica!
0 x
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago As long as the hockey team makes the trip I'll be fine. Olympic hockey after the group stage might be the top version of the sport, even better than the Stanley Cup playoffs
x2

'Merica!
Hmm...so...maybe Eruzione would be considered "an American dignitary"... not that there's anything wrong with that
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Just cancel these games too lol.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately a lot of players might opt out or the NHL might pull out entirely. So far Robin Lehner, of Team Sweden is the only official opt out, but it sounds like there could be more because of confusion about protocols. Also if enough games get cancelled between now and the Olympics the NHL will need that window to play make ups.

"The NHLPA confirmed a report from Chris Johnston of the Toronto Star that the IOC has provided new COVID protocol information to athletes. Any player with a confirmed positive test must produce two negative tests that are 24 hours apart, or the quarantine period can last from 21 days to five weeks. Where that would take place, and whether there is a possibility a player could leave China rather than quarantining there, are among the issues the NHLPA is waiting for clarity about.

The quarantine period for a positive test in Beijing -- especially if a player is symptomatic -- is one of the biggest concerns for players. Not only could they be stuck in China for an indefinite amount of time, but they could also be impacted financially by missing games and practices after the NHL's Olympic Break.

As part of the agreement to go to the Games, "players who miss time due to COVID, related to the Olympics, will not be paid under their standard players' contracts," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN.

The IIHF will provide a $5 million fund for any lost salary for players who participate in Olympic qualifiers or the Games. But after that pool dries up, players could lose salary if they are unable to play after the season restarts."

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/328 ... r-olympics
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I used to love watching, now I can't be bothered. The summer Olympics were a complete snooze fest.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago I used to love watching, now I can't be bothered. The summer Olympics were a complete snooze fest.
There were summer Olympics this year?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago I used to love watching, now I can't be bothered. The summer Olympics were a complete snooze fest.
There were summer Olympics this year?
Yes! lol
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

If the best player in the game feels like this and is seemingly leaning no toward going you have to think they'll all eventually pull out
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

If St. Patrice is iffy on this, then I'm out. And this is coming from a player who 3 months ago said in an interview how excited he was that NHL players would be in the Olympics again

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/15/ ... -olympics/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And NHL players are now officially no longer going to the Olympics:

https://www.nhl.com/

With the latest surges it will be interesting to see if the Olympics go on as planned or get pushed back a year like the Summer Olympics did
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago And NHL players are now officially no longer going to the Olympics:

https://www.nhl.com/

With the latest surges it will be interesting to see if the Olympics go on as planned or get pushed back a year like the Summer Olympics did
either way, the games just got WAY less interesting.

the NHL/NHLPA still won't go even if the games are pushed back a year. 2026 or bust for them. at this rate, it'll be a bust again.

if they get pushed back a year, who knows what the means for Shaun White. He's already said these are his last games.
0 x
:lol:
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Owners did not allow the players to participate.
0 x