2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I don't think it was necessarily being shortsighted.

Cox was young and they were thinking long-term stability.

Besides, at the time Thorr felt that Cox was the most logical choice.
Sometimes you can have the right process in place, make a sound decision, and not have it work out. That's life, and unfortunately for us, it's what happened when we hired Cox
It was not the right process and it was not a sound decision. People were petrified about losing a roster that had a reasonable amount of talent and a couple of nice recruits. This is and always has been the worst way to hire in basketball. Taking an assistant to build off what was handed off was a risk but one worth taking sometimes. Thinking the best assistant in all of the country was one chair away is always such a weird conclusion to reach. It's being scared and safe. I think a much better case would have been a head guy at a smaller school. I know we focus on roster but in game coaching matters. I hated it at the time but being wrong wouldn't have surprised me. Just don't call it logical or anything like that. It's leading scared.
Hiring JD was leading scared (to save Lamar). Hiring Cox was attempting to have some sort of continuity and promoting someone that had all the experience and pedigree to be a legitimate candidate. To revisit the only 3 viable names we can go off that were publicized at the time were Becker, Dooley and Shrewsbury. There is no home run hire there. And you walk away from any sort of continuity and perceived program building.
It was the right move at the time as it’s now the right move to go in another direction.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would think that Thorr knows by now that Cox isn't getting it done and isn't going to get it done, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

If Cox were to stay, I would expect an even worse crash and burn next season.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was definitely for Pitino at the time but was OK with giving Cox the opportunity to show what he can do . Now it’s time to go in a different direction
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Also, as I'm sure people know, a lifetime contract means literally nothing other than (probably) putting a nice buyout in place. I found it hilarious because I could totally see him accepting the Louisville job two weeks after signing a "lifetime" deal.
Same. Does not make me wish he had come here any less. That just comes with the Rick.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't think it was necessarily being shortsighted.

Cox was young and they were thinking long-term stability.

Besides, at the time Thorr felt that Cox was the most logical choice.
Sometimes you can have the right process in place, make a sound decision, and not have it work out. That's life, and unfortunately for us, it's what happened when we hired Cox
It was not the right process and it was not a sound decision. People were petrified about losing a roster that had a reasonable amount of talent and a couple of nice recruits. This is and always has been the worst way to hire in basketball. Taking an assistant to build off what was handed off was a risk but one worth taking sometimes. Thinking the best assistant in all of the country was one chair away is always such a weird conclusion to reach. It's being scared and safe. I think a much better case would have been a head guy at a smaller school. I know we focus on roster but in game coaching matters. I hated it at the time but being wrong wouldn't have surprised me. Just don't call it logical or anything like that. It's leading scared.
It had nothing to do with keeping the roster. It had to do with keeping the culture.

Successful programs promote from within. Xavier is a perfect example.

Cox was the sound, logical, and best decision for projected long term stability and success.

The only way to know if a guy can transition to the lead chair is if he transitions to the lead chair.

He didn’t work out. I don’t begrudge Thorr for the process I think he made the right decision at the time.

I’d have an issue if knowing what we know and the contract situation being what it is if we didn’t move on at the end of this year.

But Thorr made the right call on Cox at the time, just didn’t work out. He made the right call on Hurley too. I have faith.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Hiring JD was leading scared (to save Lamar). Hiring Cox was attempting to have some sort of continuity and promoting someone that had all the experience and pedigree to be a legitimate candidate. To revisit the only 3 viable names we can go off that were publicized at the time were Becker, Dooley and Shrewsbury. There is no home run hire there. And you walk away from any sort of continuity and perceived program building.
It was the right move at the time as it’s now the right move to go in another direction.
That’s part of the problem. We didn’t conduct a real coaching search.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

That’s part of the problem. We didn’t conduct a real coaching search.
Why would we when Cox was the coach in waiting?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Wasn't there a buyout if Cox was not hired?
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Was he assoc head coach to Hurley?

To Blue Man’s point in the thread about the school. Some schools like Xavier and VCU to an extent, have for the most part been able to continue to win coach after coach as theirs got poached (Leave the poetry to ECR). So I think that leads to the theory those schools have more in place than just a coach, and are able to sustain success in the long term. We keep hoping to get a coach that will not only coach up the team, but the athletic department as well!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Was he assoc head coach to Hurley?
Yes, became associate HC in 2015-2016.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thanks, that’s what I thought. Maybe Hurley knew he would be leaving when Calhoun was sniffing around that summer and that was his way of screwing us, knowing that making Cox AHC would make it likely we would promote him and then be doomed.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Thanks, that’s what I thought. Maybe Hurley knew he would be leaving when Calhoun was sniffing around that summer and that was his way of screwing us, knowing that making Cox AHC would make it likely we would promote him and then be doomed.
…….new twist on things, I guess…….but put me down for a no……..I think rehashing the Hurley departure is something I have to move on from……..we gots to focus on the build back better………
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Thanks, that’s what I thought. Maybe Hurley knew he would be leaving when Calhoun was sniffing around that summer and that was his way of screwing us, knowing that making Cox AHC would make it likely we would promote him and then be doomed.
No, there wasn't any conspiracy theory.
Cox was assoc.HC for 3 years before Hurley left.
Prior to that he was hired as an assistant replacing PM
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Haha yea, that’s it!

Big ole conspiracy theory.
1 x
Go Rhody
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
It had nothing to do with keeping the roster. It had to do with keeping the culture.

Cox was the sound, logical, and best decision for projected long term stability and success.

The only way to know if a guy can transition to the lead chair is if he transitions to the lead chair.

He didn’t work out. I don’t begrudge Thorr for the process I think he made the right decision at the time.

I’d have an issue if knowing what we know and the contract situation being what it is if we didn’t move on at the end of this year.

But Thorr made the right call on Cox at the time, just didn’t work out. He made the right call on Hurley too. I have faith.
First of all, Xavier is apples and oranges from URI. Can we at least admit that? They have an institutional dedication and support to the program that is on a way, way different level. In my opinion, URI needs a coach that can win despite that, which is not easy. And, frankly, maybe more than 50% of the problem. But that's another story. I also think you need to go way further back to Pete Gillen (not a Xavier guy) who really turned it around. Handed it to Skip Prosser (had been a Xavier asst but left to take Loyola MD to the dance). Handed it to Thad Matta (not a Xavier guy) who had proved himself at Butler. You want to give me 20 years of that before handing it to Sean Miller (and then Mack) while at the same time giving them everything they need to win? Sure. And, btw, Travis Steele took a team that was a #1 seed (with a lot of graduations) and has not danced yet. At Xavier.
We can call it a process or whatever. And say it wasn't roster or that recruiting class. It would be nice if people were honest and were like, yeah, we don't want to have eight people leave (they did anyway) and have a tough season or two with the better candidate. Culture is important but it is also an immeasurable bogus buzzword. Plenty of guys can do it. Just because you're a seat away you can do it better?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bogus buzzword. Straight from the Department of Redundancy Department. Nice.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

First of all, Xavier is apples and oranges from URI. Can we at least admit that? They have an institutional dedication and support to the program that is on a way, way different level. In my opinion, URI needs a coach that can win despite that, which is not easy. And, frankly, maybe more than 50% of the problem. But that's another story. I also think you need to go way further back to Pete Gillen (not a Xavier guy) who really turned it around. Handed it to Skip Prosser (had been a Xavier asst but left to take Loyola MD to the dance). Handed it to Thad Matta (not a Xavier guy) who had proved himself at Butler. You want to give me 20 years of that before handing it to Sean Miller (and then Mack) while at the same time giving them everything they need to win? Sure. And, btw, Travis Steele took a team that was a #1 seed (with a lot of graduations) and has not danced yet. At Xavier.
We can call it a process or whatever. And say it wasn't roster or that recruiting class. It would be nice if people were honest and were like, yeah, we don't want to have eight people leave (they did anyway) and have a tough season or two with the better candidate. Culture is important but it is also an immeasurable bogus buzzword. Plenty of guys can do it. Just because you're a seat away you can do it better?
Agreed. But Xavier is an easy comp because within the last 2 decades they were both top of the A-10 powers. We made the wrong hire with Baron, they made the right hire with Matta, and the rest is history.

I'm pretty sure I wrote in detail about Xavier in the other thread about URI's institutional deficiencies and how they hold us back.

RIFan's point about VCU, and Dayton have at least some sort of a "system" in place with an infrastucture that supports basketball and gives coaches a chance to achieve sustained success is the model we'd like to have - but we fall really, really short in the "institutional support" part that they have.

I'm assuming RIFan's other point about Hurley wanting Cox as AHC because he knew he would be bad for URI is sarcasm.

Again, armchair quarterbacking it's very easy to say "look at all these guys who left and we have nothing to show for it" but that's total BS. No one expected what happened here. It defies logic.

Culture isn't an immeasurable buzzword in this case. Hurley called it "understanding how to win games" to some extent. And yes, we're talking about players - but players who have won, and been a part of winning, and seen the focus and precision it takes to hold onto a lead late in a game.

It's funny, because it seems like that's our biggest problem right now. Closing out games. Holding onto leads.

That roster had 5 major role players - starters and off the bench (Dowtin, Russell, Thompson, Langevine, Preston) who were a part of the highest level of winning this program had seen in 2 decades. Even the bench and practice guys were aware and had experienced what those expectations looked like.

You want to keep that together. That plus good coaching is how you sustain success.

How could anyone have imagined that a guy with 20+ years of experience under some of the most hard-assed coaches in the NCAA wouldn't be able to make hard decisions? He knows basketball. He was just here to watch the process unfold.

The only way you were finding that out is by giving it a shot. We did. It missed. Now we move on.

Yeah of course there are coaches that could've out of the box done it better, like Pitino. But if you're trying to build a program - hire from within, follow the same process, develop talent, dance, repeat.

Now again, hindsight is 20/20 - but the hope was with the money you saved not getting a Pitino, that would've meant you could've invested in things like a larger assistant coaches pool (we didn't), charter flights for all our away games (we didn't), practice faculty (maybe) - but to just MMQB like the Cox hire was doomed from the start is flat disingenuous.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agreed! And yes, I was just having a little fun with Cox being a plant to destroy us…or was I?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Agreed! And yes, I was just having a little fun with Cox being a plant to destroy us…or was I?
Hey, just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everyone's not out to get you.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I didn’t mind the hire at the time to keep the continuity but now please pull the plug in mid March
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not following through on the promises made to try and keep Dan will likely hurt our new coach search, especially if we're looking at bigger name coaches like Miller.

Going forward, either these program improvements are made, or it will be like attempting to win with one hand tied behind their back.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The next hire has to be the RIGHT HIRE can’t mess this up !!
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Only way I accept Grasso coming to URI is if Charles Pride follows dudes a baller and has two years of eligibility
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No no no to Grasso. Please.

I was going to bring up Jim Christian again as a potential candidate, but after reading an article about some of the coaching issues he had at BC, I would pass.

His teams, although they did win some games against very good teams, lost way too many to bad teams, with shooting and turnover problems....sound familiar?

He's in his late 50's now and might want to coach to retirement somewhere.....maybe he would be successful at our level, but I don't know.

He didn't really get a lot of support at BC...but then again, how much support have our coaches got? In terms of resources that is.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

What's Avery Johnson up to?
0 x
'No Mercy.'
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago What's Avery Johnson up to?
He went 75-62 at Alabama, and he's more tied to the pro game than the college game. It would be a pretty random hire, since I don't think he has any ties to the area or even the Atlantic 10. Went to college and he's from Louisiana.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago No no no to Grasso. Please.

I was going to bring up Jim Christian again as a potential candidate, but after reading an article about some of the coaching issues he had at BC, I would pass.

His teams, although they did win some games against very good teams, lost way too many to bad teams, with shooting and turnover problems....sound familiar?

He's in his late 50's now and might want to coach to retirement somewhere.....maybe he would be successful at our level, but I don't know.

He didn't really get a lot of support at BC...but then again, how much support have our coaches got? In terms of resources that is.
Definitely no to Grasso we can do way better

I had forgotten about Jimmy Christian, I would actually be fine with him URI grad lots of experience
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

One coach that URI fans should start paying greater attention to is Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. When Gates was hired by Cleveland State he inherited a program 22-44 in 2 years under Dennis Felton. The program had lost 5 transfers including their leading scorer and when Gates was hired it was already July so he missed the entire spring recruiting period. Gates got Cleveland State to the dance in his second year and is moving the program forward in year 3. He also won Horizon League Coach of the Year in each of his first two seasons. Cleveland State thought so highly of him, they made him the highest paid coach in the Horizon.

Cleveland State 11-21 (7-11)
Cleveland State 19-8 (16-4) NCAA First Round
Cleveland State 15-5 (11-2)

Contract Details - https://www.cleveland.com/sports/colleg ... pluto.html
2 x
Dawan Buckets
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Dawan Buckets »

Why not give Luke Murray a shot?
I've read he's an excellent recruiter and has had posts at Xavier, Louisville, UConn and of course spent time on Hurley's staff at Rhode Island.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not in on Christian. Same with Grasso.

Gates is definitely a legit candidate given his profile. Still like Boals and Drew in that same pool. Maybe Mason from Wagner.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

STC wrote: 2 years ago One coach that URI fans should start paying greater attention to is Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. When Gates was hired by Cleveland State he inherited a program 22-44 in 2 years under Dennis Felton. The program had lost 5 transfers including their leading scorer and when Gates was hired it was already July so he missed the entire spring recruiting period. Gates got Cleveland State to the dance in his second year and is moving the program forward in year 3. He also won Horizon League Coach of the Year in each of his first two seasons. Cleveland State thought so highly of him, they made him the highest paid coach in the Horizon.

I'd love this, but I heard rumblings that BC made a run at him this past offseason and he wasn't interested. Don't know if that's true, but if it is it doesn't bode well for URI. I know BC is kind of a dumpster fire but they are in the ACC...
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago One coach that URI fans should start paying greater attention to is Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. When Gates was hired by Cleveland State he inherited a program 22-44 in 2 years under Dennis Felton. The program had lost 5 transfers including their leading scorer and when Gates was hired it was already July so he missed the entire spring recruiting period. Gates got Cleveland State to the dance in his second year and is moving the program forward in year 3. He also won Horizon League Coach of the Year in each of his first two seasons. Cleveland State thought so highly of him, they made him the highest paid coach in the Horizon.

I'd love this, but I heard rumblings that BC made a run at him this past offseason and he wasn't interested. Don't know if that's true, but if it is it doesn't bode well for URI. I know BC is kind of a dumpster fire but they are in the ACC...
Not sure how this all factors in but his wife left BC to follow him to Ohio.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/ohio-stat ... -director/
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If Gates makes a second tournament run this year with Cleveland State his stock will be soaring and he will go P5 for sure.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Not in on Christian. Same with Grasso.

Gates is definitely a legit candidate given his profile. Still like Boals and Drew in that same pool. Maybe Mason from Wagner.
Same. Pass on Christian and Grasso.

The sell for a coach with big aspirations is what Hurley was able to do here relatively recently and parlayed that into one of the better jobs in the country. If these guys think they can go directly from where they are to a program that has won a national championship this century, maybe they skip the intermediary step that the URI job would be. But there’s a evidence that a good coach can win here, and if you do then the next step from here is the highest level.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good call on Dennis Gates , played at Cal then longtime assistant under Hamilton @ FSU done a nice job @ Cle St
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes BAR agree with you on Christian and Grasso, also no on Mason.

Of the other 3, Gates would be my favorite, but his stock is rising fast.

Bryce Drew struggled at the end with Vanderbilt (replacing Stallings) but did well at Valpo.
Having Scott Drew as your brother certainly helps.

Jeff Boals is doing good job at Ohio and and spent many successful years working under Thad Matta at Ohio State.

All 3 are decent candidates, none from the East, so not sure how good their recruiting connections would be out here.
They would need to hire some strong assistants that can recruit this part of the country.

Still don't know who will be available at the end of the season, but we can probably make some good guesses.
Bobby Hurley, Tom Crean, Mike Brey, Jeff Capel, Bruce Weber.

Also, the Millers, Chris Mack, and Turg.

Of course, several of these would be unlikely but at this time just throwing out names.

Again, all this is speculation because we don't have an opening at this time.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes BAR agree with you on Christian and Grasso, also no on Mason.

Of the other 3, Gates would be my favorite, but his stock is rising fast.

Bryce Drew struggled at the end with Vanderbilt (replacing Stallings) but did well at Valpo.
Having Scott Drew as your brother certainly helps.

Jeff Boals is doing good job at Ohio and and spent many successful years working under Thad Matta at Ohio State.

All 3 are decent candidates, none from the East, so not sure how good their recruiting connections would be out here.
They would need to hire some strong assistants that can recruit this part of the country.

Still don't know who will be available at the end of the season, but we can probably make some good guesses.
Bobby Hurley, Tom Crean, Mike Brey, Jeff Capel, Bruce Weber.

Also, the Millers, Chris Mack, and Turg.

Of course, several of these would be unlikely but at this time just throwing out names.

Again, all this is speculation because we don't have an opening at this time.
Drew has an over .700 winning percentage at Valpo and Grand Canyon which are much more akin to URI/A10 than Vandy. He also made the tourney 1/3 of his time there which is no small feat. Like Hurley he’s a national name which brings with it a lot of the same thing Dan’s did - more media attention, better tournaments, TV games, etc.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Even better hire Drew and have him hire Tyson as his assistant.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Dawan Buckets wrote: 2 years ago Why not give Luke Murray a shot?
I've read he's an excellent recruiter and has had posts at Xavier, Louisville, UConn and of course spent time on Hurley's staff at Rhode Island.
…….no, no, no, let me add God no……This job at this evolution/revolution of URI hoops cannot under any scenario take on another OJT type for This job in the A-10…….we need a known quantity at the D1 level with track record of more wins than losses…….do not care where their recruiting fertile base is, including the transfer portal…….with your couple of posts……you can take out of your post the name Murray and replace it with Cox, with a similar learning from those level coaches…….and result is where we are now…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

The sell for a coach with big aspirations is what Hurley was able to do here relatively recently and parlayed that into one of the better jobs in the country. If these guys think they can go directly from where they are to a program that has won a national championship this century, maybe they skip the intermediary step that the URI job would be. But there’s a evidence that a good coach can win here, and if you do then the next step from here is the highest level.
Agreed. It’s not that difficult to win at URI in the A-10. It can be a tremendous stepping stone position or it can be a place to be King and be paid pretty well for maybe just going to the tourney say 5 or 6 times in say 15 yrs. This is exactly why Thorr f’d up with Cox and the sham of a search that went on after lil Danny left. With the shape of the program at that point if Thorr hadn’t anointed Cox so quickly a lot of interesting choices would have emerged. I like Thorr he’s an excellent AD perfect for URI but him and the President F’d up big time with Cox!!

GO RHODY!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Even better hire Drew and have him hire Tyson as his assistant.
Yes, also too bad Murphy still has another year left on his "show cause", otherwise we should hire him back in a minute as an assistant.

I think Gates next move would be to a P6 school.

We can also throw John Becker into the mix.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

brady1 wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

Agreed. It’s not that difficult to win at URI in the A-10. It can be a tremendous stepping stone position or it can be a place to be King and be paid pretty well for maybe just going to the tourney say 5 or 6 times in say 15 yrs. This is exactly why Thorr f’d up with Cox and the sham of a search that went on after lil Danny left. With the shape of the program at that point if Thorr hadn’t anointed Cox so quickly a lot of interesting choices would have emerged. I like Thorr he’s an excellent AD perfect for URI but him and the President F’d up big time with Cox!!

GO RHODY!
Please change my mind on Thorr and tell me how he has improved URI athletics above and beyond what any other mediocre AD would have done.

Tammi Reiss is a rock star for sure, but even he admitted that it was not him who found her but an Assistant AD. He still made the hire so I'll give him the credit, but I'd love to hear the list of his other accomplishments that have made our Athletic Department so superior this past decade.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Sorry man just don’t think Thorr is on the hot seat. Pretty sure the Big Money donors are behind him most to all I know are. With that said Cox was a major gaff. Respect your opinion just don’t have the energy to debate it. Cheers!

GO RHODY!
1 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Coach Wojo is a young guy from Maryland who Coached in the Big East and led two teams to the Tournament. He would bring instant credibility to the program. He is passionate and has connections across the country. Long Shot but worth the sniff.

Shaheen Holloway is doing a really nice job at St. Peters in the MAAC. He would be able to recruit the tri-state and has really strong AAU connections with his time as Willard's Associate Head Coach for 8 years. Not easy to win at St. Peters and he is doing it! Really well respected guy in New York City and well liked.

James Jones-Yale. Coach Jones does everything well. Not a flashy hire but one heck of a Coach. Has been to the tournament 2 times with a win and would have been for a third time if not for Covid. Gentleman who develops players and is so solid in x and o's. Fellow Long Islander and friend of Bob McKillop. His teams are always prepared and coached up.

Jeff Boals- Long Shot but the biggest Homerun! Dude is great. Watch him for 3 years at Stony Brook. Yes all the way.

Arch Miller- yes please.

Siena's guy- Carmen Maciariello- saw him at a clinic a few years ago and thought he was incredible. Was an assistant at GW for a few years and is familiar with the Conference. He will end up somewhere sooner than later.

Dennis Gates is going big time.

*** Coach Holloway is the wild card. St. Peters is such a difficult place to win with very little resources and support. I would welcome a guy like him in a heart beat. Similar to Hurley going to Wagner. The man is hungry and not afraid of a challenge. He could the next coach at St. John's. Queens native who was a McDonald's All American.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Coach Wojo is a young guy from Maryland who Coached in the Big East and led two teams to the Tournament. He would bring instant credibility to the program. He is passionate and has connections across the country. Long Shot but worth the sniff.

Shaheen Holloway is doing a really nice job at St. Peters in the MAAC. He would be able to recruit the tri-state and has really strong AAU connections with his time as Willard's Associate Head Coach for 8 years. Not easy to win at St. Peters and he is doing it! Really well respected guy in New York City and well liked.

James Jones-Yale. Coach Jones does everything well. Not a flashy hire but one heck of a Coach. Has been to the tournament 2 times with a win and would have been for a third time if not for Covid. Gentleman who develops players and is so solid in x and o's. Fellow Long Islander and friend of Bob McKillop. His teams are always prepared and coached up.

Jeff Boals- Long Shot but the biggest Homerun! Dude is great. Watch him for 3 years at Stony Brook. Yes all the way.

Arch Miller- yes please.

Siena's guy- Carmen Maciariello- saw him at a clinic a few years ago and thought he was incredible. Was an assistant at GW for a few years and is familiar with the Conference. He will end up somewhere sooner than later.

*** Coach Holloway is the wild card. St. Peters is such a difficult place to win with very little resources and support. I would welcome a guy like him in a heart beat. Similar to Hurley going to Wagner. The man is hungry and not afraid of a challenge. He could the next coach at St. John's. Queens native who was a McDonald's All American.
Which one (besides Miller) has the ability to get to the second weekend of the NCAAT?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Coach Wojo is a young guy from Maryland who Coached in the Big East and led two teams to the Tournament. He would bring instant credibility to the program. He is passionate and has connections across the country. Long Shot but worth the sniff.

Arch Miller- yes please.

Which one (besides Miller) has the ability to get to the second weekend of the NCAAT?
Maybe we should be concerned with getting to the NCAA Tournament before thinking about the second weekend. First thing first.
4 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

What about Niko Medved as a potential candidate?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Arch Miller- yes please.

I don’t think anyone should take your coaching suggestions seriously.

Last go around you wanted some of the best coaches in the country to come here.

As much as you think they will, the Bruce Pearls and Thad Matta’s of the works won’t be coming to Kingston.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Arch Miller- yes please.

I don’t think anyone should take your coaching suggestions seriously.

Last go around you wanted some of the best coaches in the country to come here.

As much as you think they will, the Bruce Pearls and Thad Matta’s of the works won’t be coming to Kingston.
Dammit I thought we actually had a shot at Phil Jackson
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago What about Niko Medved as a potential candidate?
That'd be fantastic, but it would be a step down for him. The MWC is a better conference then the A10 at this point, and they just signed him to an extension at a base of $750k a year through 2026-27, compared to the base of $300k we are willing to pay. Not sure about what incentives may come in to play.
0 x