2022 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hard pass on Becker. I also think he’s imbedded at UVM and has no interest in leaving.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago With Mack out at Louisville, Luke Murray will likely be looking for a job this summer as well. Not an endorsement for a hire as I don't think URI has an appetite for an assistant with no HC experience.
What, Luke is at UConn with DH.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago John Becker?
He was one of the four finalists when we hired Cox, so I'm sure he would be looked at
Safe hire. Wouldn't hate it, but it wouldn't immediately get me running to celebrate either.
Wouldn’t hate Becker either. He wins every year. I agree with many comments that he isn’t a splash hire but he has succeeded at Vermont consistently . He is the right age where he might not leave either. From what i can tell, he has a team that enjoys playing for him and they play together. I would have him as one of the top realistic candidates.

Agree with most that i want HC experience when they replace DC at the end of the year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago With Mack out at Louisville, Luke Murray will likely be looking for a job this summer as well. Not an endorsement for a hire as I don't think URI has an appetite for an assistant with no HC experience.
What, Luke is at UConn with DH.
My bad, saw an article saying otherwise... even mentioned him as a possible interim HC to finish out the year. Odd.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Hear me out, but what if we brought in Jimmy Baron (2005-2009) to lead this program? It would obviously be a major challenge but who’s to say he couldn’t form an experienced staff of former HCs to help with running the program? Maybe bring in Rob McClanaghan for Player Development? Who wouldn’t be on board for that? He has 10 years of professional experience overseas and his approval rating would be 100% from Day 1. Question is, would he even want this job? If I’m Thorr, it’s worth a call to IMG Academy.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Hear me out, but what if we brought in Jimmy Baron (2005-2009) to lead this program? It would obviously be a major challenge but who’s to say he couldn’t form an experienced staff of former HCs to help with running the program? Maybe bring in Rob McClanaghan for Player Development? Who wouldn’t be on board for that? He has 10 years of professional experience overseas and his approval rating would be 100% from Day 1. Question is, would he even want this job? If I’m Thorr, it’s worth a call to IMG Academy.
You posted this nonsense in another thread. Find another wall to throw this at. It's not sticking here.
3 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Hear me out, but what if we brought in Jimmy Baron (2005-2009) to lead this program? It would obviously be a major challenge but who’s to say he couldn’t form an experienced staff of former HCs to help with running the program? Maybe bring in Rob McClanaghan for Player Development? Who wouldn’t be on board for that? He has 10 years of professional experience overseas and his approval rating would be 100% from Day 1. Question is, would he even want this job? If I’m Thorr, it’s worth a call to IMG Academy.
You posted this nonsense in another thread. Find another wall to throw this at. It's not sticking here.
Exactly what part of that is nonsense?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago

He was one of the four finalists when we hired Cox, so I'm sure he would be looked at
Safe hire. Wouldn't hate it, but it wouldn't immediately get me running to celebrate either.
Wouldn’t hate Becker either. He wins every year. I agree with many comments that he isn’t a splash hire but he has succeeded at Vermont consistently . He is the right age where he might not leave either. From what i can tell, he has a team that enjoys playing for him and they play together. I would have him as one of the top realistic candidates.

Agree with most that i want HC experience when they replace DC at the end of the year.
If the guy has a record of winning, you have to look at him. So if Becker is interested, he has to be legitimately considered. So too would King Rice.
Sorry, he's not splashy. But he has the resume and checks the boxes. I don't care if his name is Mr. Magoo. Coaches with NCAA rules issues/baggage (see Chris Mack) I would think are unlikely to get an interview. (Archie doesn't have that so he would be worth making a call to.)
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago
Exactly what part of that is nonsense?
I've lost track which part...so maybe all of it.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago

If the guy has a record of winning, you have to look at him. So if Becker is interested, he has to be legitimately considered. So too would King Rice.
Sorry, he's not splashy. But he has the resume and checks the boxes. I don't care if his name is Mr. Magoo. Coaches with NCAA rules issues/baggage (see Chris Mack) I would think are unlikely to get an interview. (Archie doesn't have that so he would be worth making a call to.)
Agree on both but think Boals and Drew are better candidates.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Experience matters to be the head guy leading a program. Jimmy has zero college coaching experience to start, but on top of that he has zero experience recruiting, as well as the million other things that go in to it. And who are these former head coaches willing to come be assistants for a guy who’s never coached before?
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Hard pass on Becker. I also think he’s imbedded at UVM and has no interest in leaving.
…….would love to say that about our next coach years down the road…….rare these days for a coach where the ego is in check and the total compensation package is attractive enough to stay……..but, like someone said here, would love to back to the days where our coach is being chased, meaning we had some success……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Even it if has a 0.000000001% chance of happening, Chris Mack should be the first person called if Cox is fired. Archie second.

Absolute no brainer.

It literally cannot hurt to call and see if there's any shot.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What is the deal with Mack? Aside from he wasn't able to get it done at the highest level and got the boot/quit midyear? I've seen references here to "baggage" and I'm too lazy to research it, but is it more than that?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What is the deal with Mack? Aside from he wasn't able to get it done at the highest level and got the boot/quit midyear? I've seen references here to "baggage" and I'm too lazy to research it, but is it more than that?
He was suspended 6 games this summer for failure to follow school guidelines.
Also related to the extortion cases against former assistant Gaudio for threatening to release videos on NCAA violations.
Bottom line though, they didn't think he was successful enough and not trending toward their liking.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What is the deal with Mack? Aside from he wasn't able to get it done at the highest level and got the boot/quit midyear? I've seen references here to "baggage" and I'm too lazy to research it, but is it more than that?
He was suspended 6 games this summer for failure to follow school guidelines.
Also related to the extortion cases against former assistant Gaudio for threatening to release videos on NCAA violations.
Bottom line though, they didn't think he was successful enough and not trending toward their liking.
Well that doesn't sound good. But if the NCAA says he's eligible...who are we to judge?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

You're too lazy to use Google to research Mack's NCAA violations?? Yeah, that's exhausting. Get some rest so you can post on the board.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Even it if has a 0.000000001% chance of happening, Chris Mack should be the first person called if Cox is fired. Archie second.

Absolute no brainer.

It literally cannot hurt to call and see if there's any shot.
It's a no-brainer to call a coach who is in hot water for violating NCAA rules?

Maybe URI should call former North Kingstown coach Aaron Thomas too? Is that a no-brainer?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Uh no....hiring a head coach that needs former head coaches as assistants to run a team is a failure waiting to happen. Did we not learn from the Jerry D fiasco where they had to make sure they hired Jeff Jones then George Blaney to make sure the experience is there. If you need to have an assistant to give you that experience, then you don't want that person for a coach.

This is a non starter.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You're too lazy to use Google to research Mack's NCAA violations?? Yeah, that's exhausting. Get some rest so you can post on the board.
Totally. I'll try, thanks.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Dear Mr Ryan, Mr Fascitelli, or Mr Soloviev,

Please call Thorr, offer up $3M per year over the next 5 years, build our practice facility, and call Chris Mack’s agent.

Thank you.
Don't think Cox is going anywhere but you would be much better off with Archie.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm sure PC fans would love to see Cox stay....so we'll be no threat to them.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sure PC fans would love to see Cox stay....so we'll be no threat to them.
Actually you would be surprised that I prefer both teams be good . Much more satisfying to beat you when you have a good team . In all seriousness though I just get the feeling they keep Cox no inside info. Hopefully for your sake I am wrong because Cox imo has lost control. He reminds me somewhat of when Keno was coaching PC. Absolutely no discipline at all.
5 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

woodennickel1 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I'm sure PC fans would love to see Cox stay....so we'll be no threat to them.
Actually you would be surprised that I prefer both teams be good . Much more satisfying to beat you when you have a good team . In all seriousness though I just get the feeling they keep Cox no inside info. Hopefully for your sake I am wrong because Cox imo has lost control. He reminds me somewhat of when Keno was coaching PC. Absolutely no discipline at all.
It would be the most URI thing ever to not move on from cox this season so it’s what I expect as well
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As most seem to anticipate Matt McCall will probably be gone after this season.
That would probably leave Tyson Wheeler looking for a job, wonder who's staff he lands on.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago As most seem to anticipate Matt McCall will probably be gone after this season.
That would probably leave Tyson Wheeler looking for a job, wonder who's staff he lands on.
Would love to see Tyson here in some capacity. Would be a great guy to have Bassy, Tres and Chance to learn from.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago As most seem to anticipate Matt McCall will probably be gone after this season.
Would love to see Tyson here in some capacity. Would be a great guy to have Bassy, Tres and Chance to learn from.
Don't think about players. Think about the coach who will be coaching them. Chance 100% will not come here if Cox isn't here. There's a connection between Dave and his dad.

But again, we learned our lesson. Get the right coach, the right players will come.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Don't think about players. Think about the coach who will be coaching them. Chance 100% will not come here if Cox isn't here. There's a connection between Dave and his dad.

But again, we learned our lesson. Get the right coach, the right players will come.
Agreed on that - it was a mistake to hire Jerry D to keep Odom and it would have been a mistake to hire Cox to keep the recruiting class (none of which made it to year 4). I agree with you that Cox was at the very least a defensible hire and the right hire to keep the consistency and culture that DH built, and assuming he was actually able to keep that culture, keeping the recruits would have been a side benefit.

I do like the idea of having a good point guard to work with our guards whether that's the guards that are hear now, or the guards that will be here in the future regardless of coach. I mentioned Bassy, Tres and Chance as those three are slated to be here next year. Ish Leggett as well.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Was thinking even if we fire someone a lot of the guys may stay since most of them have already transferred. Could be a pretty easy transition to a new regime knowing that and how fruitful the transfer portal is.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What’s the rule on that if they already transferred once ?? Could the Mitchell’s transfer again if DC is canned ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago What’s the rule on that if they already transferred once ?? Could the Mitchell’s transfer again if DC is canned ??
Absolutely they can, as long as they have eligibility left.

They would have to apply for a waiver because the no-sit rule wouldn't apply.
Shouldn't be an issue because almost all the waivers have been granted, especially if there is a coaching change.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That will be interesting to see what happens with the twins if indeed Cox gets shown the door
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As 77 said, everyone has been getting waivers. Jon Rothstein does his watermelon seeds line on waivers still.
Portal is wide open even for those who already used it once.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I legitimately LOL'd when I saw this.

1 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago I legitimately LOL'd when I saw this.

This pisses me off ALMOST as much as not keeping DH. Pitino was 100% the guy we should have hired. Everyone was so concerned about his "baggage". His shady tactics... on and on. He goes to Iona and wheres the backlash? None - nothing. No headlines, no "how could they hire such a monster?!". Zero. Guy just comes in and casually starts turning the program around, winning their conference, and making trips to the tournament like its a days work.

What an absolute wasted opportunity to have one of games best. Imagine going from DH to Pitino? We would have been flying high right now.

Lesson learned: If a high caliber coach like Chris Mack is available and willing - take him. Worry about the "baggage" later. Nice guys finish last.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Now there's a CFL I could deal with lol.

We would have all the bells and whistles, and soon....the boosters would be falling all over themselves with their wallets open.

We would be the Gonzaga of the A10, at least.

And beating the piss out of PC.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago

This pisses me off ALMOST as much as not keeping DH. Pitino was 100% the guy we should have hired. Everyone was so concerned about his "baggage". His shady tactics... on and on. He goes to Iona and wheres the backlash? None - nothing. No headlines, no "how could they hire such a monster?!". Zero. Guy just comes in and casually starts turning the program around, winning their conference, and making trips to the tournament like its a days work.

What an absolute wasted opportunity to have one of games best. Imagine going from DH to Pitino? We would have been flying high right now.

Lesson learned: If a high caliber coach like Chris Mack is available and willing - take him. Worry about the "baggage" later. Nice guys finish last.
Doesn't piss me off at all.
I don't go thru life 2nd guessing things, or dwell on past decisions.
Not going to be a Monday morning quarterback.
At the time, I felt Thorr made the right decision and will leave it at that.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're "aiming for the stars" with the next hire lol.

They had better be.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….so, so, so, I usually stay away from naming names in this type topic…….but, what does Todd Bozeman(spelling?) do for anyone, beyond the obligatory interview…….?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Just as a reminder, there was a poll about Pitino and others before Cox was hired - You can find it here. Like I said in another thread, I think time has made some posters forget how absolutely radioactive Pitino was at the time. (I kind of think he still is, but frankly, he's at Iona now, and you just can't get into as much shit there as you can at a power conference school.) Cox got 79 percent of the vote, with Pitino getting 10 percent. NYG, ECR and theblueram were the only posters pushing really hard for him. Amusingly, Rhody72 was just going to be happy if Cox was .500 in his first year, and there is a TJrams post strongly advocating for Cox.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….so, so, so, I usually stay away from naming names in this type topic…….but, what does Todd Bozeman(spelling?) do for anyone, beyond the obligatory interview…….?
Hard pass. He finished with a 195-217 record at Morgan State, and last went to the NCAA tournament in 2010. He finished his tenure with six straight losing seasons. He would get zero consideration for the job if he hadn't played here in the 1980s.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago

This is ludicrous. He hasn't even been back as a head coach for two years, maybe we want to wait a little bit before we see if he nuked Iona or not
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Also, as I'm sure people know, a lifetime contract means literally nothing other than (probably) putting a nice buyout in place. I found it hilarious because I could totally see him accepting the Louisville job two weeks after signing a "lifetime" deal.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Translation: Nobody from the Cartel has approached him yet.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Just as a reminder, there was a poll about Pitino and others before Cox was hired - You can find it here. Like I said in another thread, I think time has made some posters forget how absolutely radioactive Pitino was at the time. (I kind of think he still is, but frankly, he's at Iona now, and you just can't get into as much shit there as you can at a power conference school.) Cox got 79 percent of the vote, with Pitino getting 10 percent. NYG, ECR and theblueram were the only posters pushing really hard for him. Amusingly, Rhody72 was just going to be happy if Cox was .500 in his first year, and there is a TJrams post strongly advocating for Cox.
Most saw potential for immediate success thinking current players would stay rather then future program building. We were drunk on Hurley, what can I say. Shortsighted for sure.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Just as a reminder, there was a poll about Pitino and others before Cox was hired - You can find it here. Like I said in another thread, I think time has made some posters forget how absolutely radioactive Pitino was at the time. (I kind of think he still is, but frankly, he's at Iona now, and you just can't get into as much shit there as you can at a power conference school.) Cox got 79 percent of the vote, with Pitino getting 10 percent. NYG, ECR and theblueram were the only posters pushing really hard for him. Amusingly, Rhody72 was just going to be happy if Cox was .500 in his first year, and there is a TJrams post strongly advocating for Cox.
Most saw potential for immediate success thinking current players would stay rather then future program building. We were drunk on Hurley, what can I say. Shortsighted for sure.
I don't think it was necessarily being shortsighted.

Cox was young and they were thinking long-term stability.

Besides, at the time Thorr felt that Cox was the most logical choice.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Sometimes you can have the right process in place, make a sound decision, and not have it work out. That's life, and unfortunately for us, it's what happened when we hired Cox
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Sometimes you can have the right process in place, make a sound decision, and not have it work out. That's life, and unfortunately for us, it's what happened when we hired Cox
It was not the right process and it was not a sound decision. People were petrified about losing a roster that had a reasonable amount of talent and a couple of nice recruits. This is and always has been the worst way to hire in basketball. Taking an assistant to build off what was handed off was a risk but one worth taking sometimes. Thinking the best assistant in all of the country was one chair away is always such a weird conclusion to reach. It's being scared and safe. I think a much better case would have been a head guy at a smaller school. I know we focus on roster but in game coaching matters. I hated it at the time but being wrong wouldn't have surprised me. Just don't call it logical or anything like that. It's leading scared.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago

It was not the right process and it was not a sound decision. People were petrified about losing a roster that had a reasonable amount of talent and a couple of nice recruits. This is and always has been the worst way to hire in basketball. Taking an assistant to build off what was handed off was a risk but one worth taking sometimes. Thinking the best assistant in all of the country was one chair away is always such a weird conclusion to reach. It's being scared and safe. I think a much better case would have been a head guy at a smaller school. I know we focus on roster but in game coaching matters. I hated it at the time but being wrong wouldn't have surprised me. Just don't call it logical or anything like that. It's leading scared.
Absolutely not leading scared.
Thorr felt that Cox was the right choice at the time and most agreed.
He was very comfortable with that decision at the time, also highly recommended by Hurley who worked closely with him.

Sorry, but maybe you feel like you are more qualified to be an AD than Thorr.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I voted for Nate Oats, but would have been happy with Pitino too.
0 x