David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago
Paleoguy wrote: 2 years ago

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/article ... 824574.php

HARTFORD — The horn had put an end to the UConn men’s basketball team’s ugliest performance of the season Tuesday night, a 59-55 loss to Creighton, and some fans in the upper bowl of an emptying XL Center loudly articulated their feelings as coach Dan Hurley headed to toward the tunnel.

So Hurley stopped. He engaged. He became animated. Hurley waved for the fans to come toward him. At least one fan made the same gesture.

“A couple of fans were yelling ‘(Bleep) you, Hurley, you suck,” said Hurley, who headed to the locker room after a heated exchange of about 10 seconds. “So I yelled back at them. If you’re going to yell at me, and you’re 100 feet away, behind layers of people — that’s some coward (stuff). But I understand. It’s part of the deal. But I’ll say, too, that you may hear something back from me. I won’t just walk away.”
Wow some fans are just classless this is a ranked Uconn team and some guy swears at DH ?? I’m glad DH didn’t back down
You mean Arrogant Haystack Calhoun and Slickee-boy Tom Moore didn't tell him that the Leg-humpers' fan base is as bad as the mental hospital's?
Hurley wasn’t hired to just receive top 25 votes or just make the tournament every couple of years…things that would be totally fine here, he was hired to win a National Championship! Those are the expectations and they will let him know about it. You wanted it Hurley…you got it. The grass is not always greener. It’s year 4 there too, and while they are in better shape than us, they are short of expectations too.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

this is just comical at this point.

legit funny.

#sorrynotsorry
1 x
:lol:
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
FFS you fool, try posting something original instead of quoting lyrics from insipid songs.
Honestly! I wish the moderators would remove all these lyrics postings. Totally annoying and add nothing to the conversation except nonsense
Loosen up Jack Dorsey and have some fun as our team blows !

Hit the road Jack and don't you come back
No more, no more, no more, no more
Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more
What you say?
You are to wit what Cox is to coaching.
6 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I think Dan and Andrea would be much happier here than they are in Connecticut. YES PLEASE!!! A man can dream, right?
I have to think Andrea misses our beautiful beaches...please....? :D
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Ram1019 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I think Dan and Andrea would be much happier here than they are in Connecticut. YES PLEASE!!! A man can dream, right?
You can try this. Heard it works.
Attachments
mqdefault.jpg
mqdefault.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
5 x
'No Mercy.'
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Sweep The Leg wrote: 2 years ago
Ram1019 wrote: 2 years ago
You can try this. Heard it works.
I was thinking more along these lines. Maybe replace the sombreros with Rhody hats
Attachments
640.jpeg
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Another reason why we are where we are which I think is related to Coach Cox is some manner. Changes in roster.

2019-2020 ROSTER

F 0 Jermaine Harris TRANSFER
G 1 Fatts Russell TRANSFER/GRAD
G 2 Jeremy Sheppard CURRENT
G 4 Tyrese Martin TRANSFER
F 5 Antwan Walker CURRENT
F 10 Cyril Langevine GRAD
G 11 Jeff Dowtin GRAD
G 13 Eric Dadika GRAD
F 15 Mekhi Long TRANSFER
G 20 Jordan Green GRAD?
F 21 Jacob Toppin TRANSFER
F 23 D. J. Johnson TRANSFER

2018-2019 ROSTER
G 15 Omar Silverio TRANSFER
F 12 Dana Tate REMOVED FROM TEAM/TRANSFER
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

Honestly! I wish the moderators would remove all these lyrics postings. Totally annoying and add nothing to the conversation except nonsense
Loosen up Jack Dorsey and have some fun as our team blows !

What you say?
You are to wit what Cox is to coaching.
well, i heard he likes to have fun :))
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Another reason why we are where we are which I think is related to Coach Cox is some manner. Changes in roster.

2019-2020 ROSTER

G 11 Jeff Dowtin GRAD
G 13 Eric Dadika GRAD
F 15 Mekhi Long TRANSFER
G 20 Jordan Green GRAD?

2018-2019 ROSTER
I'm willing to give him a "pass" on some of these. Tate had rules violations here, and got bounced from another program, before finally being productive this year. Russell gave URI four years. Looking at Long's PER, I think he's roughly equivalent to the production from Malik Martin and Jalen Carey this year, and Silverio hasn't been that productive for Hofstra until this year. D.J. Johnson is averaging 15 MPG and meager production at Kent State.

Plenty of coaches struggle to fill out the roster at the margins, because it's tough to keep competitive 18 to 22-year-olds happy with 5 to 15 MPG. However, as your listing points out, Cox has also lost guys with the potential to be All-A10 players who were playing big minutes (Martin, Toppin), and the recruits to replace them haven't had anywhere close to that potential. Ultimately in basketball, it's way better to have a starting lineup of one great player and four below average ones, vs. five average to good players. (That's partly why even though Russell wasn't great last year, it's not a coincidence that URI's offense has dropped from 127 to 207 in the KenPom rankings - ultimately, you need someone willing to penetrate, draw fouls and shoot, and someone doing this inefficiently is still better than nobody doing it at all.)
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I forgot Gregory Hammond as well.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I don't remember Shep playing that year...
I think he was waiting for eligibility.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Another reason why we are where we are which I think is related to Coach Cox is some manner. Changes in roster.

2019-2020 ROSTER

G 11 Jeff Dowtin GRAD
G 13 Eric Dadika GRAD
F 15 Mekhi Long TRANSFER
G 20 Jordan Green GRAD?

2018-2019 ROSTER
And how many players did he bring in that never made a roster, 3 or 4? It's tough enough building a roster, but when you're constantly chasing because you can't keep anyone it becomes damn near impossible
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Then you got Ileri, Tres Berry in their second year's and aren't close to being ready and then Abdou Samb on the roster now.

We see how our current guys play and I'm thinking when would these guys ever be difference makers?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's a good point about Ileri and Tres Berry. They have both been here for about a year and a half now, practicing and working out with the team every day. Neither one has been developed enough to get minutes on a bad team? If we were a good team with very good players in front of them, I could understand, especially with Tres at the guard position, where the play has been poor most of the year. Even for the bigs, if Ileri was ready to contribute, we could start Makhel and Walker with Makhi and Ileri backing them up. Either both were recruiting mistakes or the staff is bad at developing players. Whatever the reason, they both fall on Cox. So what is it? Recruiting mistakes? Poor development by the staff? Both?
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

2019-2020 ROSTER

G 11 Jeff Dowtin GRAD
G 13 Eric Dadika GRAD
F 15 Mekhi Long TRANSFER
G 20 Jordan Green GRAD?

2018-2019 ROSTER
I'm willing to give him a "pass" on some of these. Tate had rules violations here, and got bounced from another program, before finally being productive this year. Russell gave URI four years. Looking at Long's PER, I think he's roughly equivalent to the production from Malik Martin and Jalen Carey this year, and Silverio hasn't been that productive for Hofstra until this year. D.J. Johnson is averaging 15 MPG and meager production at Kent State.

Plenty of coaches struggle to fill out the roster at the margins, because it's tough to keep competitive 18 to 22-year-olds happy with 5 to 15 MPG. However, as your listing points out, Cox has also lost guys with the potential to be All-A10 players who were playing big minutes (Martin, Toppin), and the recruits to replace them haven't had anywhere close to that potential. Ultimately in basketball, it's way better to have a starting lineup of one great player and four below average ones, vs. five average to good players. (That's partly why even though Russell wasn't great last year, it's not a coincidence that URI's offense has dropped from 127 to 207 in the KenPom rankings - ultimately, you need someone willing to penetrate, draw fouls and shoot, and someone doing this inefficiently is still better than nobody doing it at all.)
Exactly. Most of these transfers are moot. Back end of the roster players.

I’d argue player development of the guys we have is the larger issue than the majority of who we’ve lost
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

2019-2020 ROSTER

G 11 Jeff Dowtin GRAD
G 13 Eric Dadika GRAD
F 15 Mekhi Long TRANSFER
G 20 Jordan Green GRAD?

2018-2019 ROSTER

I’d argue player development of the guys we have is the larger issue than the majority of who we’ve lost
How about poor recruiting?
4 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

2019-2020 ROSTER

G 11 Jeff Dowtin GRAD
G 13 Eric Dadika GRAD
F 15 Mekhi Long TRANSFER
G 20 Jordan Green GRAD?

2018-2019 ROSTER

It's hard for a coach to develop a player when he himself hasn't developed as a coach in 4 years.
9 x
'No Mercy.'
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

How about poor recruiting?
Sure, it could be that. To me, there's a couple different things in play here - scouting (identifying HS and college players to target), recruiting (actually landing those players, not wasting time on bad or long shots), and development. I don't think there's one magical approach to building a quality program, and you can point to different coaches who do it in different ways. Calipari recruits the highest end talent; Boeheim and Pitino are great at scouting guys that'll fit their systems; in the pros, unheralded guys who play for Miami and San Antonio just seem to improve year over year.

Unfortunately, it's hard to point at an area that Cox has excelled in. When he was an assistant, I thought it was going to be recruiting, and he has gotten some talented players via the transfer portal. But the guard play especially has deteriorated badly from when Hurley was the coach.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

1.3k posts from when this thread was created. I know about 54 of these posts were ECR and random song lyrics, but it’s quite telling. We are amongst the core diehard fans of the program and it’s not like anyone is really being out of line here calling for the coach to be fired, but this is an all out dumpster fire of epic proportions.
9 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

This season had saddened to so much -

What we once had with burley is now gone

Time to pick up the pieces and get us a reach coach

Meanwhile - I will just be melancholy

Song sung blue
Weeping like a willow
Song sung blue
Sleeping on my pillow
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….do you write poetry?…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….do you write poetry?…….
Please don't encourage his nonsensical behavior!
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think he's funny...about the only thing that's funny about all of this.

Although his spelling could use some work lol.......

Must be taking his cue from brady1.......

On the sauce ECR?

Can't blame you one bit!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

6 month sleep regression for our youngest

i am running on batteries
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would also love to come to this site and see a new thread titled.....Cox Resigns.....because they sure aren't going to fire him during the season.

But I really doubt he'll do that either.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I would also love to come to this site and see a new thread titled.....Cox Resigns.....because they sure aren't going to fire him during the season.

Cox resigning is about 100X less likely than URI relieving him during the season. And that isn't very likely either. Has URI ever fired a coach in any sport during a season for any reason? I cannot think of one instance. But at least that does happen in the sport, I don't think I've ever seen a coach resign during a season just based on performance and absent a major off-court scandal. Some of the ideas that get thrown around here are kind of crazy.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ghostofkeaney
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ghostofkeaney »

The writing is clearly on the wall. His players didn’t even seem to want to play for him. He’s a nice guy but a terrible coach. Time for a new voice.
2 x
Boo.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I think he's funny...about the only thing that's funny about all of this.

Although his spelling could use some work lol.......

Must be taking his cue from brady1.......

On the sauce ECR?

Can't blame you one bit!
If he's going to post songs, screw the Neil Diamond songs. Can we at least get some Zeppelin? :lol:
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This is hell.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I would also love to come to this site and see a new thread titled.....Cox Resigns.....because they sure aren't going to fire him during the season.

Cox resigning is about 100X less likely than URI relieving him during the season. And that isn't very likely either. Has URI ever fired a coach in any sport during a season for any reason? I cannot think of one instance. But at least that does happen in the sport, I don't think I've ever seen a coach resign during a season just based on performance and absent a major off-court scandal. Some of the ideas that get thrown around here are kind of crazy.
Forget actually resigning. He hasn't even shown the self-awareness necessary to acknowledge that this is even a situation worth resigning over. Nothing about his body language or sound bites suggests he understands how bad things are.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago

Forget actually resigning. He hasn't even shown the self-awareness necessary to acknowledge that this is even a situation worth resigning over. Nothing about his body language or sound bites suggests he understands how bad things are.
It's not about wins and losses. It's about fun. Maybe they have fun at practice :roll:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Didn’t they just fire the tennis coach who came from gtown?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Didn’t they just fire the tennis coach who came from gtown?
To my point, Goldie Ernst resigned because he was indicted on federal racketeering charges.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

A buddy of mine made a great point the other day.

Assistants make promises. Coaches make decisions.

Cox never made the pivot. Honestly at this point I don’t know if he ever will.

But these interviews are flat out embarrassing regardless of whatever is happening behind the scenes.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I can’t believe we have another month of this crap. I’d love for them to rip the bandaid off now and get a head start on the coaching search, but it’s unlikely. I’m pretty confident we’ll see a change at the end of the season, if we don’t, we might as well drop down to a lower conference.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago I can’t believe we have another month of this crap. I’d love for them to rip the bandaid off now and get a head start on the coaching search, but it’s unlikely. I’m pretty confident we’ll see a change at the end of the season, if we don’t, we might as well drop down to a lower conference.
…….no, no, no, to the drop down to a lower conference…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago

I will defend Cox on this point a little bit - he wants to be a players coach. He isn’t going to get on the players or be negative at all in public about what is happening. Only those inside the program really know how he is reacting behind the scenes. If it is the same there, whoa boy is that really bad.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago I can’t believe we have another month of this crap. I’d love for them to rip the bandaid off now and get a head start on the coaching search, but it’s unlikely. I’m pretty confident we’ll see a change at the end of the season, if we don’t, we might as well drop down to a lower conference.
…….no, no, no, to the drop down to a lower conference…..
I agree 100%. That's why we need to move on from Cox at the end of the year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea its like, I know we're not Kentucky and have a billion dollars blah blah blah, but we can't continue on the way were going, so its now or we continue down Baron 2.0. The latter is horrifying to think about.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Can we make this Baron 3.0? Just for the cringe?
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No changes to the starting lineup, bad rotation decisions on and on enough already !!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago No changes to the starting lineup, bad rotation decisions on and on enough already !!
It needs to continue for about 6 more weeks.

Do NOT want to see any glimmer of hope for Cox.....he gets an extension and I'm out.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Better not be any extension!! worst case scenario is he coaches the last year of his contract
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

A700AEF2-0D97-4D1F-8E54-DDF5ED6470F1.jpeg
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago A700AEF2-0D97-4D1F-8E54-DDF5ED6470F1.jpeg
I just got a little nostalgic!

It went away quickly though.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

2019-2020 ROSTER

G 11 Jeff Dowtin GRAD
G 13 Eric Dadika GRAD
F 15 Mekhi Long TRANSFER
G 20 Jordan Green GRAD?

2018-2019 ROSTER

I’d argue player don't know. development of the guys we have is the larger issue than the majority of who we’ve lost
I'm not sure I agree. Long now starts for ODU. Tate starts for Norfolk ST. Toppin 6th man at Kentucky. Tyrese starts for UConn. None of these guys could have helped us? It's far too easy to write off developmental guys that can help as "end of the bench" players. It's on the coach IMO.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago

I’d argue player don't know. development of the guys we have is the larger issue than the majority of who we’ve lost
I'm not sure I agree. Long now starts for ODU. Tate starts for Norfolk ST. Toppin 6th man at Kentucky. Tyrese starts for UConn. None of these guys could have helped us? It's far too easy to write off developmental guys that can help as "end of the bench" players. It's on the coach IMO.
- Tate has been kicked out of two schools, totally separate issue

- Long averaged 8 ppg on a middle of the pack program in a lower level conference. Impossible to say that he couldn’t have carved out a role here but he’s not dominating at a lower level to a point that would make me miss him

- Tyrese/Toppin you can bucket into the same equation. I’ve talked about this endlessly here. How often do A10 players get a chance to transfer to Top 25 P5 schools? Pretty much impossible to retain talent in that situation. Get used to this in the modern day transfer environment
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Top A10 programs can, without question, keep players like Tyrese and Toppin. It’s not impossible under the right coach…It’s impossible under Cox
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Top A10 programs can, without question, keep players like Tyrese and Toppin. It’s not impossible under the right coach…It’s impossible under Cox
Except the best program in the A10 this year also lost a player to Kentucky.

Facts don’t matter though huh? Would rather make things up to fit your narrative?
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Top A10 programs can, without question, keep players like Tyrese and Toppin. It’s not impossible under the right coach…It’s impossible under Cox
Except the best program in the A10 this year also lost a player to Kentucky.

Facts don’t matter though huh? Would rather make things up to fit your narrative?
Davidson does not have grad school courses. He graduated and was forced to transfer or go pro. Davidson was not an option for Grady
2 x