David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Not that Cox needs additional criticism, but I rewatched some Rhody games under Hurley recently. The difference in emotion between these two guys is staggering. Hurley wasn't just in the refs face, but he knew how to build energy in his players and it made a difference. Cox is a statue.
It continues to look like Cox knows he is in over his head and simple does not care anymore.

It's one thing to have a track record of success and look like a statue, it's another thing to have your team stink and seem uninterested.
……..I was hoping for the former……..but looking like the latter……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox doesn't look like he's having any fun....and I'm being serious.

The players I'm sure take their cue from the coach......
And we all know that having fun is the #1 priority.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

you know what will be fun ?

watching coach suxAlot walk out the door

Don't really want to make it tough
I just want to tell you that I've had enough
It might sound crazy but it ain't no lie
Baby bye bye bye
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Not that Cox needs additional criticism, but I rewatched some Rhody games under Hurley recently. The difference in emotion between these two guys is staggering. Hurley wasn't just in the refs face, but he knew how to build energy in his players and it made a difference. Cox is a statue.
We've gone thru this so many times. People don't care about the coach's demeanor on the sideline. You read too much into this. John Wooden, KC Jones, Tom Landry, Bill Belichick, Al Skinner, John Belein, etc. Nobody ever talked about their "energy" or emotion. Just coach your team and win!

Some folks, myself included, are totally turned off by Hurley's sideline antics, crying, whining, bitching, complaining...on every single call. Where did he learn that behavior? Enough already. Johnny Most would've had a field day ripping on him.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
We've gone thru this so many times. People don't care about the coach's demeanor on the sideline. You read too much into this. John Wooden, KC Jones, Tom Landry, Bill Belichick, Al Skinner, John Belein, etc. Nobody ever talked about their "energy" or emotion. Just coach your team and win!

Some folks, myself included, are totally turned off by Hurley's sideline antics, crying, whining, bitching, complaining...on every single call. Where did he learn that behavior? Enough already. Johnny Most would've had a field day ripping on him.
We aren't talking about those coaches, though. They were all very good at getting the best out of their players. We are talking about David Cox. Explain to me how Cox is getting the best out of his players during these games? I'm not seeing it, and the results speak for themselves.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

We aren't talking about those coaches, though. They were all very good at getting the best out of their players. We are talking about David Cox. Explain to me how Cox is getting the best out of his players during these games? I'm not seeing it, and the results speak for themselves.
We agree that Cox is not getting the best of the players. (I can't find where I ever said he is.) My point is that getting the best out of the players has nothing to do with a coach screaming and yelling...acting like a jag-bag on the sidelines. I'll take Jay Wright or Bob McKillop's sideline "energy" and demeanor over hundreds of coaches who act like jerks.

Being more animated on the sideline is not what's holding David Cox back from being a good coach.
2 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

We agree that Cox is not getting the best of the players. (I can't find where I ever said he is.) My point is that getting the best out of the players has nothing to do with a coach screaming and yelling...acting like a jag-bag on the sidelines. I'll take Jay Wright or Bob McKillop's sideline "energy" and demeanor over hundreds of coaches who act like jerks.

Being more animated on the sideline is not what's holding David Cox back from being a good coach.
I never understood this narrative that the more wild and crazy you are on the sideline equates to how invested you are in wanting to win. I liked Dan a lot, but I always hated his sideline antics. It was embarrassing at times. Plenty examples of coaches who are very successful and have calm demeanors.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

How do you know that? Yes, plenty of coaches have succeeded by being calm on the sidelines.. But, for whatever reason, Cox having no emotion isn't working for THIS team. It hasn't seemed to work for any of our rosters with Cox as the head coach... You and I have no idea if it would help our team if Cox were to break out of his shell and become a more passionate vocal coach on the sidelines or at practice. Something needs to change...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago you know what will be fun ?

watching coach suxAlot walk out the door

Don't really want to make it tough
I just want to tell you that I've had enough
It might sound crazy but it ain't no lie
Baby bye bye bye
I don't get this at all. How could anyone think it "would be fun" seeing anyone lose their job?

While I understand the disappointment of the fanbase, including me, I just don't have it in me to celebrate anyone's loss of job, especially a nice person with a very nice family.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ram1019 wrote: 2 years ago

I never understood this narrative that the more wild and crazy you are on the sideline equates to how invested you are in wanting to win. I liked Dan a lot, but I always hated his sideline antics. It was embarrassing at times. Plenty examples of coaches who are very successful and have calm demeanors.
Well, Dan is in the top 25 and Cox is hoping to beat Fordham so they don't pass us in the standings...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This thread has been repetitious for months with no reasons mentioned being a smoking gun. A coach is what his/her record says s/he is. This is year four and URI is no closer to being an NCAA tournament team which is what we pay our MBB coach to accomplish. Records have consequences.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Ironic comparing Cox's demeanor to Hurley's. I just happened to be on UConn's boneyard forum to see what they had to say about last night's loss to Creighton. I guess crazy Dan got into it with a fan or fans. They're quoting him on barstool saying he doesn't give a sh** what fans think. Then this happens. They said it's happened at least a few times.. he is nuts.. he should have stayed here. Pressure there is a lot more there than here. Ok you can come back. Or send us your brother.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think Dan and Andrea would be much happier here than they are in Connecticut. YES PLEASE!!! A man can dream, right?
4 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago

Ironic comparing Cox's demeanor to Hurley's. I just happened to be on UConn's boneyard forum to see what they had to say about last night's loss to Creighton. I guess crazy Dan got into it with a fan or fans. They're quoting him on barstool saying he doesn't give a sh** what fans think. Then this happens. They said it's happened at least a few times.. he is nuts.. he should have stayed here. Pressure there is a lot more there than here. Ok you can come back. Or send us your brother.
https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/article ... 824574.php

HARTFORD — The horn had put an end to the UConn men’s basketball team’s ugliest performance of the season Tuesday night, a 59-55 loss to Creighton, and some fans in the upper bowl of an emptying XL Center loudly articulated their feelings as coach Dan Hurley headed to toward the tunnel.

So Hurley stopped. He engaged. He became animated. Hurley waved for the fans to come toward him. At least one fan made the same gesture.

“A couple of fans were yelling ‘(Bleep) you, Hurley, you suck,” said Hurley, who headed to the locker room after a heated exchange of about 10 seconds. “So I yelled back at them. If you’re going to yell at me, and you’re 100 feet away, behind layers of people — that’s some coward (stuff). But I understand. It’s part of the deal. But I’ll say, too, that you may hear something back from me. I won’t just walk away.”
4 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Na na na na. Na na na na. Hey hey goodbye.. see you Dave Cox.. I tried to post this with the gif of the Simpsons singing.. thought the comedy was appropriate.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..ABC…….anybody but Cox…….thought I would try it here…..
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Straight up cruel and unusual punishment
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Now they're testin' the trap and it chills my spine 11 more minutes to go
And the trap and the rope aw they work just fine got 10 more minutes to go
Well I'm waitin' on the pardon that'll set me free with 9 more minutes to go
But this is for real so forget about me got 8 more minutes to go
0 x
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Toast
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I've seen enough. Fire Cox tonight. Give Bozeman the interim reins with enough time left before the A10 tournament to make some lineup changes and see if something sticks before you try to make a desperation run in DC.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago I've seen enough. Fire Cox tonight. Give Bozeman the interim reins with enough time left before the A10 tournament to make some lineup changes and see if something sticks before you try to make a desperation run in DC.
N
O
T

H
A
P
P
E
N
I
N
G

Unfortunately....
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I

K
N
O
W

Unfortunately
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

TITANIC
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Now they're testin' the trap and it chills my spine 11 more minutes to go
FFS you fool, try posting something original instead of quoting lyrics from insipid songs.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….what has your mic picked up in the post game from the coach….?….maybe, “proud the way we came back…….stopping at White Castle on way back to Kingston…..”
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

DC Rams I know you still read this board…You have called most of us idiots for doubting Cox. Will you now admit that Cox needs to go and we can support the next hire together? I’m ready to move on if you are!
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Hear hear
Where is that dude ?
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I think Dan and Andrea would be much happier here than they are in Connecticut. YES PLEASE!!! A man can dream, right?
They built a beach for Andrea in Hartford because we know how much Andrea loved the beach.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

That would be a dream come true
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Driving home from the women's game tonight I heard the following things in about a five minute span from Shane Donaldson.

"I wouldn't say Rhody is being dominated, I'd just say it looks like only one team wants to win tonight."

And then at the half

"They look like a disorganized YMCA team."

To me, tonight is a good news night. If the sports information director is saying this during the call of the game, what is the talk behind the scenes in the athletic department? The fear was always that the athletic department wasn't seeing things the way the fans have been. Tonight it's become crystal clear that just about as high up as you can get in the department they're as disappointed as the rest of us and I would be shocked now if we don't go in a different direction after this season
7 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

123BFC6A-0012-44D8-BB3D-B194DA44A2EF.jpeg
Thorr “Coach Cox was a bad choice”
3 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Exactly - that’s why I lit a cigar tonight
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They should have seen this coming. Not a surprise to anyone who has followed this team the last 3+ years.

A sure thing, this collapse.

Whether we blow a late lead, or come back but fall short, the result is the same...a LOSS.

Whatever it takes baby! Keep that firing train on schedule!
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Having Tammi around has to even make the situation more apparent, as you can just feel the excitement around her program and you can feel the lack of around the mens. You can totally see what an energetic competent coach can do…and in short order. Look at the program she inherited and look at what Cox inherited and where they are now…going in opposite directions!
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

4 straight A10 losses, 3 of those to teams we were favored to beat. Keep up the great work Coach!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox has become a parody of himself.

He should quit now, but of course he won't.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Now they're testin' the trap and it chills my spine 11 more minutes to go
FFS you fool, try posting something original instead of quoting lyrics from insipid songs.
Honestly! I wish the moderators would remove all these lyrics postings. Totally annoying and add nothing to the conversation except nonsense
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Driving home from the women's game tonight I heard the following things in about a five minute span from Shane Donaldson.

"I wouldn't say Rhody is being dominated, I'd just say it looks like only one team wants to win tonight."

And then at the half

"They look like a disorganized YMCA team."

To me, tonight is a good news night. If the sports information director is saying this during the call of the game, what is the talk behind the scenes in the athletic department? The fear was always that the athletic department wasn't seeing things the way the fans have been. Tonight it's become crystal clear that just about as high up as you can get in the department they're as disappointed as the rest of us and I would be shocked now if we don't go in a different direction after this season
I feel like tonight was good news also. No way should there be any chance left that Cox gets his last year.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"It says a lot about those guys. They came out here and they COMPETED. They got us back in the game."

Thanks Coach Clueless. But did they have fun? 🤡💩🤮
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

They played hard enough in the 2nd half for some ice cream. So, the kids are happy.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I think Dan and Andrea would be much happier here than they are in Connecticut. YES PLEASE!!! A man can dream, right?
You're not wrong. They both loved the community here.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I loved the community in RI too, but then I graduated and realized if I wanted to make some real money I had to leave. Guess Dan and I are more alike than I thought...
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Paleoguy wrote: 2 years ago

HARTFORD — The horn had put an end to the UConn men’s basketball team’s ugliest performance of the season Tuesday night, a 59-55 loss to Creighton, and some fans in the upper bowl of an emptying XL Center loudly articulated their feelings as coach Dan Hurley headed to toward the tunnel.

So Hurley stopped. He engaged. He became animated. Hurley waved for the fans to come toward him. At least one fan made the same gesture.

“A couple of fans were yelling ‘(Bleep) you, Hurley, you suck,” said Hurley, who headed to the locker room after a heated exchange of about 10 seconds. “So I yelled back at them. If you’re going to yell at me, and you’re 100 feet away, behind layers of people — that’s some coward (stuff). But I understand. It’s part of the deal. But I’ll say, too, that you may hear something back from me. I won’t just walk away.”
Wow some fans are just classless this is a ranked Uconn team and some guy swears at DH ?? I’m glad DH didn’t back down
3 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

I feel low asking this but kind of seriously wondering - what about getting a billboard?

Demand changes to the MBB program. Call them all out. Clearly let URI know the fan base expects more. Would make headlines, spark conversation around the state, likely force action - even if it’s official statements. It’s all upside.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago I feel low asking this but kind of seriously wondering - what about getting a billboard?

Demand changes to the MBB program. Call them all out. Clearly let URI know the fan base expects more. Would make headlines, spark conversation around the state, likely force action - even if it’s official statements. It’s all upside.
I would contribute to this

Good idea
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Paleoguy wrote: 2 years ago

Wow some fans are just classless this is a ranked Uconn team and some guy swears at DH ?? I’m glad DH didn’t back down
You mean Arrogant Haystack Calhoun and Slickee-boy Tom Moore didn't tell him that the Leg-humpers' fan base is as bad as the mental hospital's?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago I feel low asking this but kind of seriously wondering - what about getting a billboard?

[/quote

……..love the passion of the concept idea but…….just wondering some logistics, are there billboards in SoCo?…….ones in “upstate” might draw yawns from people who don’t give a crap about Rhody hoops, and many who would be further shocked to learn of the HC coaching salary……..maybe the state wide conversation sparked up would not be supportive……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938