End Fan Restrictions at Narragansett High School Now!

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

End Fan Restrictions at Narragansett High School Now!

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Hi Keaney Blue community,

Apologies for posting this on the main section, but I need your help with an important local cause.

Narragansett High School Principal Dan Warner and Superintendent Dr. Peter Cummings are limiting the number of fans that are allowed to attend indoor sporting events at the high school. Meanwhile, many other schools in Rhode Island have no limitations, including our own middle school!

Players are currently limited to only two guests per event. This means that brothers, sisters, grandparents, step fathers/mothers, classmates, etc. are often unable to attend.

For the senior athletes there are very few home games left in their careers. My son Harrison is one of the senior basketball players. It’s a shame that they may never get to play in front of the large, loud groups of fans they deserve.

End the restrictions immediately! Let’s fill the Narragansett High School gym with fans. Let the student athletes have their family, friends, classmates, and the Narragansett community attend their games.

Please sign the petition:
https://chng.it/T44rzZZv

MODS: Please feel free to move this thread. I'm just hoping to get an initial boost in signatures. Thank you!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: End Fan Restrictions at Narragansett High School Now!

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Full spectators at middle school games, but not at the high school which is about 17 yards apart.

Utter stupidity, whoever is making those rules should be fired on the spot.

They probably double mask in their house.

Incompetence at the highest level.
1 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Done. Thanks for the heads up. Both of our kids played multiple sports at Narr. Our son is great friends with Adam btw...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Only asking but is this based upon the size of the crowds that show up for the high school vs the middle school? I would think the middle school games are usually early in the day and don’t draw as well. Seems completely silly if the answer is they both draw the same amount of people to campus.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago Only asking but is this based upon the size of the crowds that show up for the high school vs the middle school? I would think the middle school games are usually early in the day and don’t draw as well. Seems completely silly if the answer is they both draw the same amount of people to campus.
I don't have an explanation for that yet but hoping to get that tomorrow when I speak with the Principal and Superintendent. When my son was in middle school I recall those games were always very well attended.

One possibility is that the Principal has the final decision? Other than that I'm struggling to understand why there are two sets of rules.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago Only asking but is this based upon the size of the crowds that show up for the high school vs the middle school? I would think the middle school games are usually early in the day and don’t draw as well. Seems completely silly if the answer is they both draw the same amount of people to campus.
Early in the day?

Middle School ends between 230-3, then have to add in travel and warm up time.

Don’t really know how early you think games start.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There is ZERO justification for two separate rules for middle and high school, seeing how they are literally on the same plot of land.

Anyone who tries to justify it is just flat out lying.
0 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I have zero dog in this fight

But I’m inclined to guess R Kelly is on to something. Likely don’t need a rule for the middle school if they’re not getting any substantial amount of fans anyways
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago I have zero dog in this fight

But I’m inclined to guess R Kelly is on to something. Likely don’t need a rule for the middle school if they’re not getting any substantial amount of fans anyways
It's been several years, but when our kids played in middle school, the stands could easily be filled.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So it’s alright for Rhody to have 4K fans, PC to have 9K, but Gansett can’t have 80?

And I thought masks work? If they do, why does it matter how many people are there?

I can’t believe (actually totally can) people on this board are defending this decision.
1 x
Go Rhody
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I wasn’t trying to stir anything just asked a simple question. I thought maybe it was attendance related thats all. I’m all for people doing the right think and if masking up makes sense fine let’s keep everyone safe and go out there enjoy the kids playing. They are only young once and it would be a shame to miss a game.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

So it’s alright for Rhody to have 4K fans, PC to have 9K, but Gansett can’t have 80?

And I thought masks work? If they do, why does it matter how many people are there?

I can’t believe (actually totally can) people on this board are defending this decision.
Not saying I agree with the rule at all. I feel bad for any kids going through this and losing out on prime years of their childhood and adolescence.

I was merely trying to guess why the rules would be different from middle to high school. Doesn’t mean I agree with either
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This has no business being on a URI basketball message board.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago This has no business being on a URI basketball message board.
Sure it does, but as I mentioned in my original post I'm happy for the mods to put this in DOWN THE LINE. Plenty of the same people who support URI basketball, who support this message board, have ties to Narragansett, have kids at Narragansett, family in Narragansett, or are alum.

Thanks for your support all the way from San Diego!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago This has no business being on a URI basketball message board.
Sure it does, but as I mentioned in my original post I'm happy for the mods to put this in DOWN THE LINE. Plenty of the same people who support URI basketball, who support this message board, have ties to Narragansett, have kids at Narragansett, family in Narragansett, or are alum.

For the record, I agree with you that fans should be allowed at the games, I have no issue with that. But it doesn't change the fact that it has nothing to do with URI basketball and therefore does not belong here.

Good luck though, I do hope the rules are changed.
Last edited by adam914 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

For the record, I agree with you that fans should be allowed at the games, I have no issue with that. But it doesn't change the fact that it has nothing to do with URI basketball and therefore does not belong here.

Good luck though, I hope the rules are changed.
Thanks Adam... Forgive my moment of civil disobedience for a good local cause
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Thanks for your support all the way from San Diego!
I do love this attempted dig at me though. Even funnier since you live in Florida, which some may realize is also not in Rhode Island. So I guess neither of our opinions matter then.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm just locking this anyway, since it strikes me as both a Covid post and a politics post. If people want to sign the petition, then the link is in the initial post, but I don't really think we need to have a discussion thread open for it.
4 x