David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by Running Ram »

what would be on Jimmy's resume if he applied?

As a player I once made 59 three's in a row in practice, also we almost beat Duke that one time.

Please stop with the Jimmy B HC talk and can we be serious? We're just never going to be any good as long as the powers that be refuse to spend the required money to run a competitive program.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Let’s have some realistic expectations of who would even want to coach here. News flash, it’s not going to be Chris Mack, Archie Miller, or any Power 5 coach. We hired Dan Hurley after two successful years at WAGNER. That hire turned out to be a home run eventually, but there were many times in the first few years where we wondered if he was the guy.

I’m surprised at the backlash throwing Jimmy Baron’s name out there got. I would be proud of him coming back and leading his alma mater. Have nothing to say about his resume, but you’re lying if you say you wouldn’t support a Jimmy Baron-led rebuild. Let’s think outside the box for once.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If Jimmy had a coaching career to this point, I would be pumped for him to coach here.
3 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Someone give me a realistic % on Archie coming to Kingston.
99% if you follow the school slogan

Or is it just cheap words ?

PHONIES

ARCHIE and you will rule the state
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Someone give me a realistic % on Archie coming to Kingston.
99% if you follow the school slogan

Or is it just cheap words ?

PHONIES

ARCHIE and you will rule the state
Are you saying Archie because the Rick is even less likely, or would you prefer Arch?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The next HC needs to be affable, hard-nosed no shit taken and animated on the sidelines coach. I miss seeing the tenacity on the bench during the last few Hurley seasons. I’d see Archie Miller being the type to fill this void but it doesn’t seem feasible. A few years ago I laughed at people who thought Ricky P was a choice. Now I’m saying - eh we would have had a few tourney bids at minimum with him.

Please no one ever again think that CBI is even a remote option. It would be an embarrassment.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago The next HC needs to be affable, hard-nosed no shit taken and animated on the sidelines coach. I miss seeing the tenacity on the bench during the last few Hurley seasons. I’d see Archie Miller being the type to fill this void but it doesn’t seem feasible. A few years ago I laughed at people who thought Ricky P was a choice. Now I’m saying - eh we would have had a few tourney bids at minimum with him.

Please no one ever again think that CBI is even a remote option. It would be an embarrassment.
Hurley wasn’t affable and hated public appearances.

We don’t need a “type” we just need to win.

Find me the coach who can win.

If he’s like Dave Cox
If he acts like a fox
If he loves clocks
If he wears smocks

I don’t care. Get a good coach.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago The next HC needs to be affable, hard-nosed no shit taken and animated on the sidelines coach. I miss seeing the tenacity on the bench during the last few Hurley seasons. I’d see Archie Miller being the type to fill this void but it doesn’t seem feasible. A few years ago I laughed at people who thought Ricky P was a choice. Now I’m saying - eh we would have had a few tourney bids at minimum with him.

If he’s like Dave Cox
If he acts like a fox
If he loves clocks
If he wears smocks

LoL I *know* that Dan wasn’t any of those things. I am stating what I would like to see.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dan was affable in the way he made it clear that public appearances were not his favorite. I appreciate how he approached it. I'm pretty sure he didn't love the coaches shows, but he was always willing to talk with individuals when there and would even at times visit tables to see what questions folks might have. He was 'one on one' affable. :lol:
5 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If he’s like Dave Cox
If he acts like a fox
If he loves clocks
If he wears smocks

Agree. I largely don't care what a coach says in press conferences, etc. (although some of Cox's recent comments are forcing me to walk back that opinion). Just win.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Dan was affable in the way he made it clear that public appearances were not his favorite. I appreciate how he approached it. I'm pretty sure he didn't love the coaches shows, but he was always willing to talk with individuals when there and would even at times visit tables to see what questions folks might have. He was 'one on one' affable. :lol:
Oh yeah love Dan. He's my kind of person. Very bitter at URI for STILL not having the investments they promised him that might have kept him here.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Let’s have some realistic expectations of who would even want to coach here. News flash, it’s not going to be Chris Mack, Archie Miller, or any Power 5 coach. We hired Dan Hurley after two successful years at WAGNER. That hire turned out to be a home run eventually, but there were many times in the first few years where we wondered if he was the guy.

I’m surprised at the backlash throwing Jimmy Baron’s name out there got. I would be proud of him coming back and leading his alma mater. Have nothing to say about his resume, but you’re lying if you say you wouldn’t support a Jimmy Baron-led rebuild. Let’s think outside the box for once.
Please stop with the Jimmy Baron fantasy - Dan Hurley was a high school coach for a decade before Wagner. He had recruiting ties to the NY/NJ area because of that experience. Wagner was a stepping stone for a coaching career that started a long time before that. Jimmy Baron’s experience is being a skills coach at a high school right now. Call me in a decade when he has some actual experience to run a top 100 program.
6 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Dan was affable in the way he made it clear that public appearances were not his favorite. I appreciate how he approached it. I'm pretty sure he didn't love the coaches shows, but he was always willing to talk with individuals when there and would even at times visit tables to see what questions folks might have. He was 'one on one' affable. :lol:

Exactly! He was always courteous and would chat after.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

If he’s like Dave Cox
If he acts like a fox
If he loves clocks
If he wears smocks

I think I read this to my daughter last night ..

Along w the Lorax !
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Let’s have some realistic expectations of who would even want to coach here. News flash, it’s not going to be Chris Mack, Archie Miller, or any Power 5 coach. We hired Dan Hurley after two successful years at WAGNER. That hire turned out to be a home run eventually, but there were many times in the first few years where we wondered if he was the guy.

Jimmy Baron is unrealstic. Maybe as an assistant, but he's not going to be our head coach.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..my last thought on the Jimmy Baron thing……..we have a coach now who in his first HC job is being out coached in most games, and supposedly learned at the knee of some pretty decent coaches……..we do wanna match Jimmy Baron against, say Bob McKillop?…….come on man……..
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago This board is going to be wild after losing the next 5/7 games
Eh, if I'm remembering the final Baron year correctly, the rage and anger will persist for two or three games, but then give way to apathy. The oldest posts on this forum are from the first or second year of Hurley, though. I can't remember if 1) the Projo board was still the place for the final Baron year or 2) if the older posts were lost when we migrated from Forumer. I think it's the latter, and if so, I'm not sure if any of those posts still survive.
We definitely weren't on ProJo still during Baron's last year
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago This board is going to be wild after losing the next 5/7 games
Eh, if I'm remembering the final Baron year correctly, the rage and anger will persist for two or three games, but then give way to apathy. The oldest posts on this forum are from the first or second year of Hurley, though. I can't remember if 1) the Projo board was still the place for the final Baron year or 2) if the older posts were lost when we migrated from Forumer. I think it's the latter, and if so, I'm not sure if any of those posts still survive.
Yeah we moved to KB in like 2011. I used to work a few cubes away from ATP and 96 and we were definitely on KB by the time I was up there.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Yeah we moved to KB in like 2011. I used to work a few cubes away from ATP and 96 and we were definitely on KB by the time I was up there.
Hah! I wasn't on KB then, but now thinking of it, it seems like a lifetime ago being in those pods. :lol:
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..my last thought on the Jimmy Baron thing……..we have a coach now who in his first HC job is being out coached in most games, and supposedly learned at the knee of some pretty decent coaches……..we do wanna match Jimmy Baron against, say Bob McKillop?…….come on man……..
Please no more experiments with coaching. Whoever is the next HC needs to be a coach who has proven results in a similar conference, if not a former A10 coach.

I wonder sometimes what it would be like if Thor did in fact have Slick Rick here.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Doing just a bit more digging, it looks like most of the topics reacting specifically to Baron's firing have been lost forever, "unfortunately," ha. The Internet Wayback Machine did preserve the main topic titles from that last Baron season, but I don't think we have anything from January 2012 to October 2012, roughly. (ETA: Adam, ATP or TP might know where to look more than I, though, since that was when I was working for Patch and not as active on here.)
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nobody knows less about how the internet works than me, unfortunately. I can’t help.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI Athletics had some extra money, should it go toward a new MBB coach or retaining Tammi Reiss? More seriously, URI Athletics doesn't have the money to buy-out Cox and pay a new coach what Cox is getting. Where do you think additional money to pay an experienced coach will come from? Do you think URI Athletics is currently generating a surplus?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago If URI Athletics had some extra money, should it go toward a new MBB coach or retaining Tammi Reiss? More seriously, URI Athletics doesn't have the money to buy-out Cox and pay a new coach what Cox is getting. Where do you think additional money to pay an experienced coach will come from? Do you think URI Athletics is currently generating a surplus?
You do know that Reiss and Cox make the same salary
Reiss got a raise to elevate her to Cox’ Salary plus she got a contract extension when she won A10 Coach of the Year last year.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago If URI Athletics had some extra money, should it go toward a new MBB coach or retaining Tammi Reiss? More seriously, URI Athletics doesn't have the money to buy-out Cox and pay a new coach what Cox is getting. Where do you think additional money to pay an experienced coach will come from? Do you think URI Athletics is currently generating a surplus?
Reiss got a raise to elevate her to Cox’ Salary plus she got a contract extension when she won A10 Coach of the Year last year.
This will not keep her here. A $250K buy-out is nothing for schools at the next level. Cox's salary is an embarrassment.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Doing just a bit more digging, it looks like most of the topics reacting specifically to Baron's firing have been lost forever, "unfortunately," ha. The Internet Wayback Machine did preserve the main topic titles from that last Baron season, but I don't think we have anything from January 2012 to October 2012, roughly. (ETA: Adam, ATP or TP might know where to look more than I, though, since that was when I was working for Patch and not as active on here.)

What year did we finally leave the projo board?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

OK that's a comment that warrants additional details. Where was it, what was it like, what were they like, did you compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago

What year did we finally leave the projo board?
We transitioned off Projo to rhodyrams.forumer.com in early November 2010.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Standards at the Journal have deteriorated so much that they can't get their own facts right from article to article. An article in 2021 actually claimed Reiss will make as much as Cox:

The reworked contract raises Reiss’s annual salary from $180,000 to $300,000, which is equal to the base salary paid to men’s basketball coach David Cox.

Unfortunately that's nowhere near the truth as an article just this month notes Cox's salary is more than twice as much:

By Edward Fitzpatrick Globe Staff,Updated January 4, 2022, 7:07 p.m. PROVIDENCE — University of Rhode Island men's basketball coach David M. Cox retained his title as the highest paid state employee in 2021, taking home $715,188, according to data released Tuesday.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Base salary is the key here. They are equal on that level, but Cox has additional guaranteed compensation to bring his total to $715k. Projo was correct.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..some that that on attendance……..whatever that means for his incentive…….A.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

http://www.transparency.ri.gov/payroll/verify_prep.php

I didn't know that about Tammi's salary until you mentioned it. The entire state payroll is viewable here.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Close game but win or lose … get rid of this coach !.. let’s get a reach coach in here
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Now hear comes the preacher for to save my soul with 13 minutes to go
And he's talking bout' burnin' but I'm so cold I've 12 more minutes to go
Now they're testin' the trap and it chills my spine 11 more minutes to go
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Now hear comes the preacher for to save my soul with 13 minutes to go
And he's talking bout' burnin' but I'm so cold I've 12 more minutes to go
Now they're testin' the trap and it chills my spine 11 more minutes to go
They work just fine…10 more minutes to go
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
Standards at the Journal have deteriorated so much that they can't get their own facts right from article to article. An article in 2021 actually claimed Reiss will make as much as Cox:

The reworked contract raises Reiss’s annual salary from $180,000 to $300,000, which is equal to the base salary paid to men’s basketball coach David Cox.

Unfortunately that's nowhere near the truth as an article just this month notes Cox's salary is more than twice as much:

By Edward Fitzpatrick Globe Staff,Updated January 4, 2022, 7:07 p.m. PROVIDENCE — University of Rhode Island men's basketball coach David M. Cox retained his title as the highest paid state employee in 2021, taking home $715,188, according to data released Tuesday.
Of course, does the story say how much of Cox's paycheck actually comes from the state?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Pretty telling stat provided by Koch.

10 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ooof
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Pretty telling stat provided by Koch.

Trending like the titanic post-iceberg
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow great stat Adam , you are what your record says you are and it’s not good
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Koch has been posting some tough and fair critiques all night
7 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That sucks, because pre-iceburg...was so much better.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

That sucks, because pre-iceburg...was so much better.
Yep that 10 game A-10 win streak

Fatts nailing half court threes at will against GW

And then Obi Toppin

17-0 Flyers and that was it.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

COACH TITANIC
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Every night in my dreams
I see you, I feel you,
That is how I know you go on

Far across the distance
And spaces between us
You have come to show you go on

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Love can touch us one time
And last for a lifetime
And never let go till we're one

Love was when I loved you
One true time I hold to
In my life we'll always go on

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart

There is some love that will not go away

You're here, there's nothing I fear,
And I know that my heart will go on
We'll stay forever this way
You are safe in my heart
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago Koch has been posting some tough and fair critiques all night
Worse than critiques... cold, hard, verifiable facts.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Go Bill!
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I thought he had the second-best record behind only the great Frank Keaney.
And this is including the soft schedule and AIC?
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago

Like Ollie at Uconn (on a much much much lower scale). He had momentum when he started, but as the Hurley methods and players faded, )or were moved off the ball) a growing lack of identity, accountability, discipline, execution, and direction of this program took shape.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago

Like Ollie at Uconn (on a much much much lower scale). He had momentum when he started, but as the Hurley methods and players faded, )or were moved off the ball) a growing lack of identity, accountability, discipline, execution, and direction of this program took shape.
Good analogy. And how ironic that Hurley is the one turning that program around again. Can't make it up!
4 x
Mobley was fouled.