David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Sorry toddler sleep regression and early morning post.

Duh - Chris holm/Jon Clark was the most egregious.

Many others. At this point I’ve blocked it all out.

I’ll take a lap. Bad post.
Ha, no worries! It's kind of interesting how they're coming to the same result here, in a way, with entirely different methods. Baron actually recruited quite a few All-A10 level players, or sired them... but he often struggled to evaluate the talent he had on the roster, and to allot minutes properly as a result, or to use something like advanced statistics to guide him. Baron also struggled with depth on the roster.

In contrast, Cox has pretty good talent up and down the roster - like, Jalen Carey has holes in his game, but his equivalent in the Baron years was someone like Andre Malone, who was forced into starting - but lacks a true blue chipper or two to build the team around. He's also not making an egregious playing time decision - it's not like Walker is logging DNPs - but a bunch of decisions on the edges of the roster are adding up.
I think you could argue Baron recruited better “stars” - Dawan, Will Daniels, Delroy, Cothran, or Jimmy would all be the leading/most dependable scorer on any Cox team.
Barons teams at least waited until February to collapse!

Cocks teams have multiple epic collapses within games and between games throughout the entire year and there's zero consistency across the board. Doesn't even look lime he can get us to the NIT...
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodygirl2 wrote: 2 years ago Didn’t seem disappointed with loss and didn’t seem to have a clue as to why they lost.

Agree wholeheartedly with my fellow 205er who turned around in the last minute of the game and said —- It’s like he’s trying to lose.
The presser was unbelievable!
Show some fire, man.
Act like you care about winning for Pete's sake!

"I'm going to look at the tape and see if we can figure some things out."

WHAT?!?!?
Hey, don't drag ME into this! ;)
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Mama Mitchell is a lot more persuasive than Mama Walker. In fact, I don't even know who Mama Walker is. When the Mitchells were at Maryland, Mama Mitchell was constantly blasting Turgeon and the Maryland program for the way they were handling the twins. She even called Turgeon a liar. If anything was promised to the Mitchells by Cox, it wouldn't surprise me if the promises were made to HER. The twins are now getting what she wants. She is very supportive of the way things are going here.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Jeez part of the process and you gotta give them credit it’s Baron all over again . I do think Baron was a better coach than Cox

Makes no sense to not give Jalen some minutes in the 1st half without Shep available

Cox has to be gone end of season
He certainly had a better philosophy I.e. let’s have an actual point guard, and for the most part didn’t get in their way at least. Minus the Will Daniels incident I don’t ever remember having an issue with the team’s minutes distribution.

Barons cluelessness didn’t prevent the players from playing to their strengths. It certainly didn’t help them, but disorganized streetball with the best players on the court was better than this.

Baron certainly didn’t promise certain kids minutes and then allow them to do whatever.

This is real bad.
Eh, I think "time heals all wounds," in this case. Baron's time distribution skills and evaluation of guys on the roster were both pretty bad. Off the top of my head... There was the yo-yoing of Jon Clark's minutes (starting him each half, playing 3 minutes, then benched the rest of the game), choosing Clark over Chris Holm, not playing his better players enough minutes (Hazelton, Daniels, Delroy James never broke 30 MPG on his watch), recruiting or playing smaller PGs who couldn't shoot (Tyrese Sullivan, Mejia, Mike Powell)...

Jon and Chris were all my same year. I can’t remember if it was after my freshman year or after soph year that Chris left. Hellenga left after soph year. I was a kid then, but even then we were like wtf is going on. We knew it was coaching and not extracurricular activities. That being said though, players could live off campus back then. Hellenga had a bull mastiff he took to the Quad all the time.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodygirl2 wrote: 2 years ago Note he didn’t just hit bingo on “it’s all part of the process” he dropped multiple “you gotta give them credit”. Nearly drove off the road. Didn’t seem disappointed with loss and didn’t seem to have a clue as to why they lost.

Agree wholeheartedly with my fellow 205er who turned around in the last minute of the game and said —- It’s like he’s trying to lose.
LOL I think that was me. Just pathetic.

This made ME LOL. 😂👍🏼
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Damn u ecr!!!
I have that johnny cash song stuck in my head now.

“18 minutes to go…”

Things were much better this morning when irene cara was on the radio.

“Close my eyes, feel the rhythm…”
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago It was a couple pages back regarding Pitino... We had our shot with him. A friend who runs Mercedes Benz White Plains (where Rick and the Iona AHC's get cars) told me per Rick himself, Iona is his last stop. He is going to build the program up to be a perennial contender, the quote "Gonzaga of the East" was used again... and then retire. He wants this to be his last challenge and accomplishment.
I agree with this also he is 69 so he probably has about 5 more years and I think he’s appreciative of the AD giving him a chance to come back into coaching
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago It was a couple pages back regarding Pitino... We had our shot with him. A friend who runs Mercedes Benz White Plains (where Rick and the Iona AHC's get cars) told me per Rick himself, Iona is his last stop. He is going to build the program up to be a perennial contender, the quote "Gonzaga of the East" was used again... and then retire. He wants this to be his last challenge and accomplishment.
I agree with this also he is 69 so he probably has about 5 more years and I think he’s appreciative of the AD giving him a chance to come back into coaching
He needs to be HERE.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sell your soul for 10 million dollars.....I'd DO IT!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I know I’m about to contradict myself and basically everyone else here when I say this.

We all think Cox promised the twins would be starting together.

But if that was the case, why didn’t they both start the first game of the season last year?

Both were healthy, it was the first season they were with us, yet Makhel came off the bench against Arizona St.

Just something to think about, because if he did promise they’d both start, why didn’t they?
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I know I'm about to contradict myself and basically everyone else here when I say this.

But if that was the case, why didn't they both start the first game of the season last year?

Both were healthy, it was the first season they were with us, yet Makhel came off the bench against Arizona St.

Just something to think about, because if he did promise they'd both start, why didn't they?
I think he likely told them after last season that they would be the offense's focal point. I'm assuming when recruiting them, he said Fatts would be here for one year, and then it's your team. I have no idea if he promised them a starting job. If he didn't promise them a starting job and makes these decisions because he thinks it's best for the team, we are reaching Jerry D levels of stupidity.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I know I’m about to contradict myself and basically everyone else here when I say this.

But if that was the case, why didn’t they both start the first game of the season last year?

Just something to think about, because if he did promise they’d both start, why didn’t they?
Is that the only game? The very first one? Maybe Mrs. Mitchell's message didn't stick?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I know I’m about to contradict myself and basically everyone else here when I say this.

I've asked the same exact question before about 2 weeks ago. Saying that Cox is starting certain guys because of commitments he made in recruiting beg answers to these questions:

1. 2018-19 - Christion Thompson Started 1st 16 games - Replaced in Stating Line up by Tyrese Martin in the 16th game of the season

2. 2020-21 - Jermaine Harris Started his Fr and Soph Years - Replaced in Starting Line Up by Makhi Mitchell 1st game of 2020-21 season
3. 2020-21 - Makhi Mitchell Started Games 1 & 2 vs Arizona State (3 TO's) and BC (4 TO's). He was replaced by Makhel Mitchell in Game 3
4. 2020-21 - Jalen Carey Started Games 1 & 2 vs Arizona State (4 TO's) and BC (3 TO's). He was replaced by Malik Martin in Games 3 to 11
5. 2020-21 - Malik Martin Started Games 3 to 11. He was replaced in Games 12 - 20 by Allen Betrand
6. 2020-21 - Allen Betrand Started Games 12 to 20. He was replaced by Ishmael Leggett through the remainder of the season

7. 2021-22 - Makhi Mitchell replaced Antwan Walker in the starting line up to start the season
  • Makhi was the higher ranked of the Mitchell Brothers. David Cox went with Makhi starting 1st two games then switched to Makhel. Both did NOT start together during 2020-21
  • In 2021-22 David Cox started both Makhi and Makhel from Game 1
  • In 2020-21 David Cox started Makhi and Jalen Carey 1st two games. In those 2 games each player had 7 Turnovers in the two games. Both were replaced in Game 3.
  • In 2020-21 after Malik Martin replaced Carey, later Allen Betrand replaced Martin and then Ishmael Leggett replaced Betrand
It doesn't make sense that prior agreements were made with any of these players regarding starting assignments. In fact, this way of thinking provides David Cox a prior reason for making his Starting Assignments - instead of having the responsibility during the season. That would be like a "built-in" excuse.

In fact, I recall saying that Cox should pull Carey from starting at the start of 2020-21 and DC_Rams told me that a Coach couldn't pull a Transfer of Carey's Caliber (Ranked Top 50 ESPN) from the starting lineup or he would have trouble ever getting a highly ranked transfer again. Cox pulled Carey as a Starter after just two games and 7 Turnovers
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Damn u ecr!!!
I have that johnny cash song stuck in my head now.

“18 minutes to go…”

Things were much better this morning when irene cara was on the radio.

“Close my eyes, feel the rhythm…”
LOL

it’s a great song

I should sing a verse after every Rhody game to count down cox
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ODE TO COACH TITANIC

How high's the water, mama?
Two feet high and risin'
How high's the water, papa?
She said it's two feet high and risin'
We can make it to the road in a homemade boat
That's the only thing we got left that'll float
It's already over all the wheat and oats,
Two feet high and risin'
Three feet high and risin'
She said it's three feet high and risin'
Well, the hives are gone,
I lost my bees
The chickens are sleepin'
In the willow trees
Cow's in water up past her knees,
Three feet high and risin'
Four feet high and risin'
She said it's four feet high and risin'
Hey, come look through the window pane,
The bus is coin', gonna take us to the train
Looks like we'll be blessed with a little more rain,
Four feet high and risin'
Five feet high and risin'
She said it's five feet high and risin'
Well the rails are washed out north of town
We gotta head for higher ground
We can't come back till the water goes down,
Five feet high and risin'
Well, it's five feet high and risin'
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I've asked the same exact question before about 2 weeks ago. Saying that Cox is starting certain guys because of commitments he made in recruiting beg answers to these questions:

1. 2018-19 - Christion Thompson Started 1st 16 games - Replaced in Stating Line up by Tyrese Martin in the 16th game of the season

2. 2020-21 - Jermaine Harris Started his Fr and Soph Years - Replaced in Starting Line Up by Makhi Mitchell 1st game of 2020-21 season
3. 2020-21 - Makhi Mitchell Started Games 1 & 2 vs Arizona State (3 TO's) and BC (4 TO's). He was replaced by Makhel Mitchell in Game 3
4. 2020-21 - Jalen Carey Started Games 1 & 2 vs Arizona State (4 TO's) and BC (3 TO's). He was replaced by Malik Martin in Games 3 to 11
5. 2020-21 - Malik Martin Started Games 3 to 11. He was replaced in Games 12 - 20 by Allen Betrand
6. 2020-21 - Allen Betrand Started Games 12 to 20. He was replaced by Ishmael Leggett through the remainder of the season

7. 2021-22 - Makhi Mitchell replaced Antwan Walker in the starting line up to start the season
  • Makhi was the higher ranked of the Mitchell Brothers. David Cox went with Makhi starting 1st two games then switched to Makhel. Both did NOT start together during 2020-21
  • In 2020-21 David Cox started Makhi and Jalen Carey 1st two games. In those 2 games each player had 7 Turnovers in the two games. Both were replaced in Game 3.
  • In 2020-21 after Malik Martin replaced Carey, later Allen Betrand replaced Martin and then Ishmael Leggett replaced Betrand
It doesn't make sense that prior agreements were made with any of these players regarding starting assignments. In fact, this way of thinking provides David Cox a prior reason for making his Starting Assignments - instead of having the responsibility during the season. That would be like a "built-in" excuse.

In fact, I recall saying that Cox should pull Carey from starting at the start of 2020-21 and DC_Rams told me that a Coach couldn't pull a Transfer of Carey's Caliber (Ranked Top 50 ESPN) from the starting lineup or he would have trouble ever getting a highly ranked transfer again. Cox pulled Carey as a Starter after just two games and 7 Turnovers
haha, I remember when you were called out for your outrageous suggestion of benching Carey. But you were obviously correct, and then it happened.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Thorr_no_more
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Thorr_no_more »

Had to start a new account because for some reason my old one wouldn’t work on my iPhone (no clue what was going on but it works on my laptop just not my iPhone. Stupid Apple…but probably more likely stupid me).

I know this typically doesn’t happen in college basketball but I think Thorr needs to cut Dave loose now and step Bozeman up for the rest of the season. It is clear Dave is not the guy and I don’t think we can prolong the suffering. It will then allow us to start our coach search now.
Trust me I don’t like saying this. I’m all about doing things the right way and treating people properly but the way this state and university operates, if we wait until the end of the season we will miss out on possible head coaches and definitely good assistants. Think how long it took to post the assistant positions, interview them, then get them officially filled. Don’t tell me it doesn’t matter.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………not gonna happen, the respect for Cox is such that URI does does not do that……..the evaluation of the season will play out and a decision will be made……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Thorr_no_more wrote: 2 years ago Had to start a new account because for some reason my old one wouldn’t work on my iPhone (no clue what was going on but it works on my laptop just not my iPhone. Stupid Apple…but probably more likely stupid me).

I know this typically doesn’t happen in college basketball but I think Thorr needs to cut Dave loose now and step Bozeman up for the rest of the season. It is clear Dave is not the guy and I don’t think we can prolong the suffering. It will then allow us to start our coach search now.
Trust me I don’t like saying this. I’m all about doing things the right way and treating people properly but the way this state and university operates, if we wait until the end of the season we will miss out on possible head coaches and definitely good assistants. Think how long it took to post the assistant positions, interview them, then get them officially filled. Don’t tell me it doesn’t matter.
Who is your old account?

Dude is not going to get fired with a 12-6 record...
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah all the criticism of Cox here is valid, but short of some mutually agreed upon parting of ways or some scandal, he deserves to coach out the rest of the season.
6 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Cox and the mens team needs have have Tammi explain to them the way the NET ranking works.
5 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm beginning to think that there is serious problem with player conditioning.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I have a few other thoughts right now as I’m looking at Twitter after the Friars beat Cincy tonight.

If Rhody pulls out a win, there’s zero energy. No post game hype from the locker room. Monotone post game interviews talking about process. Getting back to the lab. Adjustments. Fatigue.

Do we even have any assistant doing the scouting anymore? I’ll use Luke Murray as an example. He probably has some of the best basketball IQ out of any assistants Rhody has had in the last decade or so.

There’s absolutely zero behind the scenes. No pep talks. Heck, Tammi just had this great video talking to the ladies right on her social media.

I know everyone has different social media styles, but there’s zero connection with the fan base. The players- they’re kids. They deserve way more than what the program is giving them as far as visibility.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

haha, I remember when you were called out for your outrageous suggestion of benching Carey. But you were obviously correct, and then it happened.
I'm glad you remember. I wouldn't know where to find his response.
But again, I think it shows that Cox will make starting role moves and I honestly do not think he has promised anybody starting roles or minutes of play. His moves over the past 4 years show that.

That is not to say I agree with the starters or the minutes played per player.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let Cox stay for the rest of year then serve him a pink slip the 2nd week in March
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Hear me out, but what if we brought in Jimmy Baron (2005-2009) to lead this program? It would obviously be a major challenge but who’s to say he couldn’t form an experienced staff of former HCs to help with running the program? Maybe bring in Rob McClanaghan for Player Development? Who wouldn’t be on board for that? He has 10 years of professional experience and his approval rating would be 100% from Day 1. Question is, would he even want this job? He would be heavily inexperienced but who’s to say that can’t turn out to be a good thing? If I’m Thorr, it’s worth a call to IMG Academy.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Hear me out, but what if we brought in Jimmy Baron (2005-2009) to lead this program? It would obviously be a major challenge but who’s to say he couldn’t form an experienced staff of former HCs to help with running the program? Maybe bring in Rob McClanaghan for Player Development? Who wouldn’t be on board for that? He has 10 years of professional experience and his approval rating would be 100% from Day 1. Question is, would he even want this job? He would be heavily inexperienced but who’s to say that can’t turn out to be a good thing? If I’m Thorr, it’s worth a call to IMG Academy.

Jimmy had an impressive career overseas. I know he’s not playing professionally anymore but I don’t know what he’s doing these days.

Rob may come at a hefty price tag due to his connections, etc. I think the Player Development role typically goes to a post-grad student, if I am correct?

Bottom line is this program needs to get back on track. Having it be a roller coaster of inconsistencies isn’t a strategy for success.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Hear me out, but what if we brought in Jimmy Baron (2005-2009) to lead this program? It would obviously be a major challenge but who’s to say he couldn’t form an experienced staff of former HCs to help with running the program? Maybe bring in Rob McClanaghan for Player Development? Who wouldn’t be on board for that? He has 10 years of professional experience and his approval rating would be 100% from Day 1. Question is, would he even want this job? He would be heavily inexperienced but who’s to say that can’t turn out to be a good thing? If I’m Thorr, it’s worth a call to IMG Academy.
It’s a no for me he has no coaching experience
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
It’s a no for me he has no coaching experience
……..big no for me we do need a committee of coaches…….shoe me a model where has been successful……..no more OJT for us…….we need an experienced, mature, strong leader/ teacher of basketball with track record of success……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think starting the twins is fine - the problem is finishing the game with both. In crunch time we can’t rely on Makhi (yet). Makhel and Walker would be a better way to finish the game.
4 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Believe it or not I was thinking this. Thought is honestly driven more by nostalgia than anything else - I was a student during his playing time at URI and wouldnt mind having shooters like him on the roster. That said, I would have to agree with some of the other comments I want someone with more experience, an up and coming resume, OR an established name.

For those that asked he's a skills coach at IMG (Florida) right now.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Jimmy would need to get an assistant job before he would be considered a candidate I would think.

He could certainly be a great FT and shooting coach lol. Lord knows we could use that.

In spite of what 72 thinks.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago
Believe it or not I was thinking this. Thought is honestly driven more by nostalgia than anything else - I was a student during his playing time at URI and wouldnt mind having shooters like him on the roster. That said, I would have to agree with some of the other comments I want someone with more experience, an up and coming resume, OR an established name.

Give it 5 years when Jimmy has more “experience” under his belt and we'll all think he’s a great fit for Kingston. It’s a more exciting thought than the coach we’ll bring in from the NEC or Patriot League.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’m sorry but this is a terrible idea…he has zero coaching experience, zero recruiting ties, nothing. I would rather keep Cox if that is the option and continue to hole he figures it out.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox "figures it out" when I'm the King of England.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Whenever something goes wrong, it seems like the knee-jerk reaction is "let's bring in a guy with school or Rhode Island ties!" Bozeman as an assistant coach was going to be the answer to our inability to win close games, for example. T.J. Buchanan seems like a great person, but he noticeably receives less criticism than the other assistants. If and when Cox is fired, I imagine Preston Murphy and Tyson Wheeler will be floated as head or assistant coaching options, never mind the absolutely insane suggestion of Jimmy Baron.

I understand why this instinct exists, but there's pretty much zero evidence that bringing in a guy with ties to the school is more successful than just hiring someone with no connection. For every Juwan Howard, there is a Mike Davis or Kevin Ollie. If anything, there are plenty of examples of this going REALLY badly at other schools and damaging the relationship forever. I'd always rather just hire someone who no connection that has the most impressive resume and interview, because I also think that makes it easier to evaluate their performance and to make a decision in the future, if need be.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TJ Sorrentine
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Whenever something goes wrong, it seems like the knee-jerk reaction is "let's bring in a guy with school or Rhode Island ties!" Bozeman as an assistant coach was going to be the answer to our inability to win close games, for example. T.J. Buchanan seems like a great person, but he noticeably receives less criticism than the other assistants. If and when Cox is fired, I imagine Preston Murphy and Tyson Wheeler will be floated as head or assistant coaching options, never mind the absolutely insane suggestion of Jimmy Baron.

I understand why this instinct exists, but there's pretty much zero evidence that bringing in a guy with ties to the school is more successful than just hiring someone with no connection. For every Juwan Howard, there is a Mike Davis or Kevin Ollie. If anything, there are plenty of examples of this going REALLY badly at other schools and damaging the relationship forever. I'd always rather just hire someone who no connection that has the most impressive resume and interview, because I also think that makes it easier to evaluate their performance and to make a decision in the future, if need be.
So true. I always hesitate to bring this up because people tend to get super defensive about it, but I completely agree. A few times I think I dared to suggest we should look beyond Preston Murphy, Wheeler or Kenny Green type guys, and it usually is not received very well.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago

Give it 5 years when Jimmy has more “experience” under his belt and we'll all think he’s a great fit for Kingston. It’s a more exciting thought than the coach we’ll bring in from the NEC or Patriot League.
And that's your problem with this non-sensical posting about Jimmy Baron. Why are you putting the word "experience" in quotes? Do you not believe coaching experience is a requirement for the job? He has ZERO game coaching experience at any level. (Being the son of a coach does not qualify as experience.)

It's more exciting..." blah, blah. Again, this is not about making a splash hire. If a guy from the NEC or Patriot League is more qualified, then hire the damn guy. You're too young to know about Tom Penders who coached at Tufts, Columbia, and Fordham before URI. I guess he wouldn't have excited you so he wasn't qualified?

(You want a nostalgia consideration? Then Tyson Wheeler gets an interview but not Jimmy Baron.)
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ARCHIE MILLER or BUST

make the call

we will be KINGS OF RI if we hire this man

a REAL COACH

A NO BRAINER

make the call
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I liken what happened to Cox with a dating analogy, Cox is in the “friend zone” and the players don’t take him seriously.
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago I liken what happened to Cox with a dating analogy, Cox is in the “friend zone” and the players don’t take him seriously.
Not bad!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Someone give me a realistic % on Archie coming to Kingston.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This board is going to be wild after losing the next 5/7 games
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago This board is going to be wild after losing the next 5/7 games
Eh, if I'm remembering the final Baron year correctly, the rage and anger will persist for two or three games, but then give way to apathy. The oldest posts on this forum are from the first or second year of Hurley, though. I can't remember if 1) the Projo board was still the place for the final Baron year or 2) if the older posts were lost when we migrated from Forumer. I think it's the latter, and if so, I'm not sure if any of those posts still survive.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Someone give me a realistic % on Archie coming to Kingston.
10 % ??
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Jimmy would need to get an assistant job before he would be considered a candidate I would think.

He could certainly be a great FT and shooting coach lol. Lord knows we could use that.

In spite of what 72 thinks.
Jimmy would be a great shooting coach. He would recognize when a player was developing a bad habit and correct it before it became ingrained. This happens to all great hitters, golfers, FT shooters, etc.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like the Jimmy angle. Someone who would be committed.
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Whenever something goes wrong, it seems like the knee-jerk reaction is "let's bring in a guy with school or Rhode Island ties!"
I know a guy…
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Someone give me a realistic % on Archie coming to Kingston.
3-5%
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'