David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

He’s either going to a bad P6 team or a strong mid major program. If we offer Archie what we offered Dan I think we would have a shot. He had a bad final season at Indiana, so I don’t see why a program is going to offer him 3mm
I don’t know about that. He was 10 games over .500 at IU but made no NCAA appearances. He got a 10.5mm buyout so he has no cash shortage. It would prob take more than we offered Dan to lure him here. Just don’t see it and don’t think it’s realistic.
Why would any P6 program above Indiana want him after he didn't succeed there and how many P6 programs are there that are below Indiana that aren't coach killer jobs? It just seems like the P6 market for him would be super small, so a place like here could be intriguing to him after he wasn't successful at Indiana. Of course we would have to put together a competitive offer, and not just in his salary, to make it worth his while, but I wouldn't disqualify us if the boosters treat luring him like they treated keeping Hurley at the end
Not for nothing but Indiana is considered a Top 10-15ish job, so in that regard there are plenty of P6 schools outside of that he could be a potential candidate for ... Butler for example could be a better fit for him. Shaka failed into the Big East so this isn't new territory to consider. Chris Mack is gonna get fired and rehired by a P6 I'm sure. IMO he didn't fail bad enough to not get another shot. And he has the money to sit back and be patient for a bit if he wants to.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Who in the last decade plus, outside of Indiana fans, consider Indiana a top 15 job? Indiana basketball is like Nebraska football. They used to be a powerhouse, their fans still think it's the 80's, and every now and then they're just successful enough to keep the fans' delusions alive, but not successful enough to be a true contender
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Indiana Basketball is essentially Nebraska Football.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Who in the last decade plus, outside of Indiana fans, consider Indiana a top 15 job? Indiana basketball is like Nebraska football. They used to be a powerhouse, their fans still think it's the 80's, and every now and then they're just successful enough to keep the fans' delusions alive, but not successful enough to be a true contender
Any rating is going to have some subjectivity but I think the college hoops media did some sort of poll this year and put out what they considered the Top 15-20 jobs in basketball. Indiana was on it. Facilities, history, conference, resources, etc. It's usually in that next tier after the blue bloods. Whether you agree or not.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

2020 article by Bleacher which ranks Indiana as the 5th best job in college hoops.

5. Indiana

Kindred spirits with the UCLA job, all new Indiana coaches should have to sign a "You know what you're getting yourself into, right?" waiver.

Things haven't gone well in Bloomington over the past two decades. The Hoosiers did make a surprising run to the 2002 Final Four as a No. 5 seed, and they had a really nice team in 2012-13, earning a No. 1 seed before getting ousted in the Sweet 16. Outside of that, they've experienced nothing close to the success they enjoyed in the heydays of Bobby Knight and Branch McCracken.

That hasn't much lowered expectations, though.

It's almost as if Indiana fans wake up every morning thinking it's still the 1990s and they should be one of the best teams in the country even though they have only earned a share of three of the last 27 Big Ten regular-season crowns and have never won a Big Ten tournament.

But as long as you sign a significant chunk of the top high-school players in the state and put a competent product on the court, you can stick around for a good while. Archie Miller has done well in that regard, signing at least two of the top six recruits from Indiana in each of the past three years, including home-grown 5-star guys Romeo Langford and Khristian Lander.

And if you happen to build a legitimate title contender out of players from the Hoosier state, you can just about name your price in your next contract negotiation.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I mean seriously, if you have to start the second paragraph of your write up with "Things haven't gone well in (insert college town name here) over the past two decades." then it's insane to call them a top 15 job, let alone top five. Frankly top 25 seems aggressive. Top 25 programs don't have two down decades. Also love how in paragraph five the writer says if you do the things Archie had been doing well you can stick around a long while and Archie was fired immediately after that season. Sorry, whoever wrote that for Bleacher Report is clueless as hell or an Indiana fan with just a shred of self-awareness
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI doesn't have the money to pay a coach $2M/year unless it was part of an incentive heavy contract based on revenue. For all those PC fans here, did you notice in the ProJo column today (1/25) on Driscoll's retirement that Cooley makes north of $2M/year, not the $4M+ posters here insisted a few months ago that I called BS? If Cox is let go, be prepared to be disappointed with his replacement.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago 2020 article by Bleacher which ranks Indiana as the 5th best job in college hoops.

5. Indiana

Kindred spirits with the UCLA job, all new Indiana coaches should have to sign a "You know what you're getting yourself into, right?" waiver.

Things haven't gone well in Bloomington over the past two decades. The Hoosiers did make a surprising run to the 2002 Final Four as a No. 5 seed, and they had a really nice team in 2012-13, earning a No. 1 seed before getting ousted in the Sweet 16. Outside of that, they've experienced nothing close to the success they enjoyed in the heydays of Bobby Knight and Branch McCracken.

That hasn't much lowered expectations, though.

It's almost as if Indiana fans wake up every morning thinking it's still the 1990s and they should be one of the best teams in the country even though they have only earned a share of three of the last 27 Big Ten regular-season crowns and have never won a Big Ten tournament.

But as long as you sign a significant chunk of the top high-school players in the state and put a competent product on the court, you can stick around for a good while. Archie Miller has done well in that regard, signing at least two of the top six recruits from Indiana in each of the past three years, including home-grown 5-star guys Romeo Langford and Khristian Lander.

And if you happen to build a legitimate title contender out of players from the Hoosier state, you can just about name your price in your next contract negotiation.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -all-time/

This one has Indiana at #7
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That has them as the #7 program all time, which isn't necessarily the same as #7 best program for a coach to take over. I actually think that speaks to Indiana's problems now. Their fans still view them that way, but they aren't that same program now, and haven't been for a while. If I have more time I'll try to use their methodology but using a cutoff of 2002, which is probably the most generous cutoff I can give them without going back to the early 90's, which is too far away to be suggestive of what their potential would be now
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I was going to respond to the troll, but I thought better.

Just a reminder that donors have made clear that they would pay $2M+ for the right coach.

An unproven, no name assistant wasn’t going to get the same financial guarantees as Dan Hurley.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago URI doesn't have the money to pay a coach $2M/year unless it was part of an incentive heavy contract based on revenue. For all those PC fans here, did you notice in the ProJo column today (1/25) on Driscoll's retirement that Cooley makes north of $2M/year, not the $4M+ posters here insisted a few months ago that I called BS? If Cox is let go, be prepared to be disappointed with his replacement.
Nobody ever said $4million+

There was one article estimated his contract between $30 million and $40 million over 10 years. At the time I took the average to be $3.5 million per year.

Just a quick check of websites googling top HC Salaries:

Attachment 1. 18th highest: Ed Cooley of Providence: Salary- $3,414,290

Attachment 2. Now, Cooley after a second contract extension in three years, is slated to earn between an estimated $30 and $40 million over the course of his new contract with Providence College -- estimated to be 10 years.

Attachment 3. 17th highest: Ed Cooley, Providence. Total Pay: $3.4 million

https://briefly.co.za/106888-list-top-2 ... -2021.html

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/ed-c ... nds-sports

https://fanbuzz.com/college-basketball/ ... aches/amp/
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

He’s either going to a bad P6 team or a strong mid major program. If we offer Archie what we offered Dan I think we would have a shot. He had a bad final season at Indiana, so I don’t see why a program is going to offer him 3mm
I don’t know about that. He was 10 games over .500 at IU but made no NCAA appearances. He got a 10.5mm buyout so he has no cash shortage. It would prob take more than we offered Dan to lure him here. Just don’t see it and don’t think it’s realistic.
Why would any P6 program above Indiana want him after he didn't succeed there and how many P6 programs are there that are below Indiana that aren't coach killer jobs? It just seems like the P6 market for him would be super small, so a place like here could be intriguing to him after he wasn't successful at Indiana. Of course we would have to put together a competitive offer, and not just in his salary, to make it worth his while, but I wouldn't disqualify us if the boosters treat luring him like they treated keeping Hurley at the end
Would anyone sincerely anticipate boosters would be even pitching in slightly to keep Cox's contract?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago That has them as the #7 program all time, which isn't necessarily the same as #7 best program for a coach to take over. I actually think that speaks to Indiana's problems now. Their fans still view them that way, but they aren't that same program now, and haven't been for a while. If I have more time I'll try to use their methodology but using a cutoff of 2002, which is probably the most generous cutoff I can give them without going back to the early 90's, which is too far away to be suggestive of what their potential would be now
Bleacher, Rivals, Sporting News all wrote articles on best programs in CBB and Indiana is Top 10 in all. In addition, the Big 10 coaches voted Indiana the #1 job in the conference last year is it fair to say they have a better grasp on that than you? So while you have your own opinion about it the things that make it a good job to coaches - resources, conference, fan engagement, TV deal, access to local talent, etc. they have in spades.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago That has them as the #7 program all time, which isn't necessarily the same as #7 best program for a coach to take over. I actually think that speaks to Indiana's problems now. Their fans still view them that way, but they aren't that same program now, and haven't been for a while. If I have more time I'll try to use their methodology but using a cutoff of 2002, which is probably the most generous cutoff I can give them without going back to the early 90's, which is too far away to be suggestive of what their potential would be now
Bleacher, Rivals, Sporting News all wrote articles on best programs in CBB and Indiana is Top 10 in all. In addition, the Big 10 coaches voted Indiana the #1 job in the conference last year is it fair to say they have a better grasp on that than you? So while you have your own opinion about it the things that make it a good job to coaches - resources, conference, fan engagement, TV deal, access to local talent, etc. they have in spades.
I would actually be very interested in seeing that Big 10 coaches poll if you have the link
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Recent NCAA success isn't the only metric in determining how good a job it is. You won't find any serious basketball journalist or coach who wouldn't rank Indiana as a Top 10-15 job. For all the reasons I've already listed. It's like saying the Yankees manager isn't a coveted job bc they haven't won a world series in over a decade.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Agreed. With big jobs comes big expectations. Like Shaka dancing at Texas.

Just because the recent results haven’t been there doesn’t mean they don’t have the resources or fanbase to succeed with the right coach. They will happily pay buyouts and kick whomever to the curb until the get the right fit.

The main difference between those type of programs and ours is that they will not “wait and see” if a Dave Cox type is right.

In a mirrored scenario DC would’ve been out after the UMass presser last year.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's from 2019. Think Goodman did this for all the major conferences. Rivals also put out one in 2020 you can find.

Big Ten Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference

by Jeff Goodman, Stadium Basketball Insider
This is the fourth in Stadium’s “Conference Chain of Command” series in which we polled a handful of veteran coaches in every league to determine the best JOBS in each league, all the way down to the ones that are the most difficult.

This week’s Chain of Command is being published on Thursday instead of Friday due to Big Ten Media Days taking place on Thursday.

Here are the eight categories that were utilized to determine the overall rankings. We did not utilize buy games as a category for the Big Ten because just about every program has the resources to buy a similar number of games.

Tradition – The history of the program
Media Exposure – Games on national television
Game Atmosphere – Includes attendance
Facilities – Not just the arena, but also practice facilities, weight room, locker rooms, etc.
Selling Pros – Being able to sell not only NBA players, but also those who play overseas
Admission Requirements – Ranked from easiest to get into to most difficult
Budget/Resources – Includes coaches’ salaries, recruiting budget, travel budget, private planes, cost of attendance, etc.
Geographical Recruiting Base – Proximity to players

1. Indiana (98) – The Hoosiers are one of the more storied programs in college basketball history, but most of the success came decades ago. They have five national titles on their resume and eight Final Four appearances. Tom Crean took over a mess, but still underachieved, only going to four NCAA tourneys in nine years and failing to get past the Sweet 16.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Looks like Chris Mack is out at Louisville. Might be a good year to find a new coach.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good call Bar, Mack out @ Louisville
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If URI could land Archie or Chris Mack I would love either of those hires. Two proven winners at the A10 level.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Nobody ever said $4million+
It was. I never said you. Still, URI doesn't have the revenue to pay $2M w/o revenue incentives.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

STC wrote: 2 years ago If URI could land Archie or Chris Mack I would love either of those hires. Two proven winners at the A10 level.
No thanks. Prefer someone with DC/Philly ties. Way better fit for us.
0 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just like Archie, I would imagine Mack could probably get a better job than URI unfortunately.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

TITANIC
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Mack and Archie may end up going back to P5/Big East but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion. In the last 10 years or so I can't recall many coaches who were fired by a P5 and then went immediately back to a P5 in there next job (Mark Fox, Tom Crean, Ben Howland). Including Big East you could throw in Shaka Smart and Mike Anderson. Honorable mention to Cuonzo Martin and Jamie Dixon who were more or less fired but never officially.
0 x
Sox1
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Sox1 »

Back to back disasters brought me here.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Waived the white flag at the end…I hope he resigns at his press conference and completes the surrender.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

This is unspeakable at this point. Ladies and gentleman, this is it. Over. No redemption whatsoever.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Steve is trying to tell those of us listening on the radio that Richmond is a good team, compared to our last two losses?
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

COX SUX

HE BLOOWSS

GET OFF THE COURT

THE Next Frank KEANEY bahahaha
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox is fulfilling his destiny.

Good. Bye.

Didn't even watch this game, just followed it on this board.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

You did yourself a favor

hey at least we can finally get rid of this clown

I called it - saw it years ago

CUT BAIT
1 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Jim Baron can coach circles around this clown. But hey I hope they had fun
2 x
Clapton is God
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago Jim Baron can coach circles around this clown. But hey I hope they had fun
That’s actually a fascinating thought. Jim Baron may be a better coach than David Cox.
7 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago COX SUX

HE BLOOWSS

GET OFF THE COURT

THE Next Frank KEANEY bahahaha
Sucks and blows, that’s called a shop vac.
2 x
:lol:
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Hahah

Shop vac !
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

They had fun competing tonight!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Pitino to Louisville.

Mack and Archie will be contenders for Butler when that opens up. Add Maryland into that mix too possibly but they will probably try to shoot higher. Carousel will be crazy once those dominoes start falling. Does Willard become a candidate at Louisville and would Seton Hall ever throw the kitchen sink at Dan?

I’m still in the Jeff Boals or Bryce Drew camp as two viable candidates. I don’t think Mack or Archie are coming down to A10.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Titanic Shop Vac Cox..

Kinda has a nice ring to it

Like tenness flat top box

I feel like singing now…

Then one day he was gone
And no one ever saw him 'round
He vanished like the breeze
They forgot him in the little town
But all the girls
Still dreamed about him
And hung around
The cabaret until the doors were locked
And then one day
On the hit parade
Was the little dark-haired boy who played the
Tennessee flat top box
And he would play
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Anybody that can walk and chew gum at the same time will be an upgrade.

If this wasn't so sad, it would be hilarious.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Oh no It’s the kiss of death…our coach just said “it’s part of the process” in his presser.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

The process !

This is driving me to drink
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I do hope that Thomas and Walker will stay for the new coach.

They can play, although it's hard to play from the bench.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

………Memo to Dave……..call your agent, set up a meeting with Thorr, to start an exit strategy discussion and plan……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Danny Hurley's phone will be blowing up in the next 4-6 weeks. He will have his brother and also David Cox calling for any available assistant coaching positions that are unfilled. What would the qualifications be for these two on who had more of an epic failure?
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Is it time to rent a billboard?
6 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Did anyone see Bill Koch tweet about Cox postgame comments???

He quoted Cox “it’s all part of the process”

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME
2 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago Is it time to rent a billboard?
Start the go fund me.
2 x
GO RAMS
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Sorry someone posted above. BUT I REPEAT (AGAIN)

AM I HAVING A NIGHTMARE????
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.