David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by section(105) »

…….no to Grasso……..seen his in game act our place this year……..no thanks, we can do way more better…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

Cox is a waste of salary. The Mitchells are a waste of scholarships.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago

What does a negative SOS mean?
Strength of schedule I get. It’s the negative part I don’t. What does negative strength of schedule mean?
There are metrics that measure strength of schedule, like the one at Sports Reference, which is usually the main database for historical college basketball stats. For them, a SOS of 0.0 means you played an average schedule. As of now, URI has been in the -0.5 to -1.5 range. It'll probably "even out" to a number slightly above 0.0 by the end of the year, because the back half of their A-10 schedule has the more difficult games / better teams.
Thank you.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Grasso was horrible in the game we beat Bryant this year. Way overrated especially by the local RI media. Lost his composure in that game, was a bad leader for his players then the last 3 minutes of the game just sat on the bench contributing nothing - just gave up. I’ll keep our current staff before taking Grasso and it’s not close.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Grasso was horrible in the game we beat Bryant this year. Way overrated especially by the local RI media. Lost his composure in that game, was a bad leader for his players then the last 3 minutes of the game just sat on the bench contributing nothing - just gave up. I’ll keep our current staff before taking Grasso and it’s not close.
Grasso is a Grade A clown.

Hard pass.
4 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramfansince58 wrote: 2 years ago Cox is a waste of salary. The Mitchells are a waste of scholarships.
What was the starting lineup in 1958?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I have no idea what Thorr and administration feel about the situation the basketball program is in. I actually have faith in Thorr and any decision he would make if they were to hire a new coach. He made home run hires with Hurley and Tammi Reiss, excellent hire in Fleming.

Whether you like Cox or you don't and didn't like when he was originally hired he was very deserving of an opportunity. It hasn't worked out
That's a history that could be debated...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Grasso was horrible in the game we beat Bryant this year. Way overrated especially by the local RI media. Lost his composure in that game, was a bad leader for his players then the last 3 minutes of the game just sat on the bench contributing nothing - just gave up. I’ll keep our current staff before taking Grasso and it’s not close.
Grasso is a Grade A clown.

Hard pass.

“Grade A Clown” is by far one of my favorite sayings. It basically means Grasso is at the elite level of clown.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Did you all forget how horrible Bryant was before Grasso? They were one of the worst teams in the country... Say what you want about him but he has gotten results.. He certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind someone with the type of passion that he has.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Reminder: the coach of our basketball team who makes 3/4 of a mil to win basketball games, came out publicly and said that game day wasn’t about winning.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Did you all forget how horrible Bryant was before Grasso? They were one of the worst teams in the country... Say what you want about him but he has gotten results.. He certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind someone with the type of passion that he has.
Would be tough to leave that clown baggage, wouldn't it? Maybe his best bet is another region where folks aren't as familiar with his clownishness?
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Reminder: the coach of our basketball team who makes 3/4 of a mil to win basketball games, came out publicly and said that game day wasn’t about winning.
This is the point I was making in the game thread. I'd really like to see a recording or corroboration of this. If it's a real quote this is beyond unacceptable. It's one thing not to be able to do your job. Still a reason to drop you at the end of the season, but it's understandable. It's another thing entirely to be the highest paid employee in the state and refuse to acknowledge what your job is.

While we all wish the program had more fans from the URI community and the larger state as a whole, I think you would have to say generally that we as core fans/donors/season ticket holders are pretty active and generous with support. I don't think we've earned that kind of cavalier messaging from a coach that ultimately we are paying to be here.

I can understand wanting to be a head coach but coming up short when you get your shot. It happens, we'll all move on. I'm less accepting of someone who's basically trying to redefine what the whole goal of a D1 basketball program is so that it more closely matches their poor performance. That to me suggests you've stopped caring, or think the fans are chumps.

Again, this is all contingent on if that quote is actually accurate.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Did you all forget how horrible Bryant was before Grasso? They were one of the worst teams in the country... Say what you want about him but he has gotten results.. He certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind someone with the type of passion that he has.
Grasso would never be my choice. He had a player kneel for the National Anthem with our ROTC men and women providing their usual support on the floor. I have never seen a David Cox Player or a PC Player do this - only Bryant. Boston University also had 3 players kneel and Hartford had 7 kneel for a WBB game at the Ryan this year. People can have their own views of this and I can have mine.

Grasso's players were obnoxious during out game with them in November. Grasso himself was obnoxious so you could easily see where his players got it. When we got way ahead Grasso just went and sat on the bench and hardly even looked at the game itself for the last several minutes of the game. What kind of Head Coach gives up? A quitter.

I sat close to the Bryant bench and saw it all including Peter Kiss acting like a brat because he was not allowed to play for some disciplinary reason. What a joke he was to watch during the team huddles with his body and facial expressions. Would have been better to have him not even on the bench - just stay home.

That Ryan Center game told me all I needed to know about Grasso.

I want a guy the level of Jim Harrick, Dan Hurley, Al Skinner, Tom Penders, Jack Kraft or Tammi Reiss. Kyle Neptune and Kim English are solid new Coaches to the A10 this year at Fordham and George Mason respectively. English is already being mentioned as a candidate for the Maryland job in just his 1st year on the job.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Take me back to the days where we had to sweat it out every offseason to make sure our up and coming coach didn’t leave.
10 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Archie Miller OR BUST !
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Archie Miller OR BUST !
He really should be at the top of our list if Thorr does fire Cox.

Have Archie here for a few years and make a couple tourneys, he’ll leave, and hope Thorr makes another correct hire.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No shot and it would take 3mm to even interest him.
He’s gonna get another P6 shot he doesn’t need to come back to a mid major.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Don’t let me sing a song

Don’t let me do it
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Did you all forget how horrible Bryant was before Grasso? They were one of the worst teams in the country... Say what you want about him, but he has gotten results.. He certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind someone with the type of passion that he has.
Grasso would never be my choice. He had a player kneel for the National Anthem with our ROTC men and women providing their usual support on the floor. I have never seen a David Cox Player or a PC Player do this - only Bryant. Boston University also had 3 players kneel, and Hartford had 7 kneel for a WBB game at the Ryan this year. People can have their own views of this and I can have mine.

Grasso's players were obnoxious during out game with them in November. Grasso himself was obnoxious so you could easily see where his players got it. When we got way ahead Grasso just went and sat on the bench and hardly even looked at the game itself for the last several minutes of the game. What kind of Head Coach gives up? A quitter.

I sat close to the Bryant bench and saw it all including Peter Kiss acting like a brat because he was not allowed to play for some disciplinary reason. What a joke he was to watch during the team huddles with his body and facial expressions. Would have been better to have him not even on the bench - just stay home.

That Ryan Center game told me all I needed to know about Grasso.

I want a guy the level of Jim Harrick, Dan Hurley, Al Skinner, Tom Penders, Jack Kraft or Tammi Reiss. Kyle Neptune and Kim English are solid new Coaches to the A10 this year at Fordham and George Mason respectively. English is already being mentioned as a candidate for the Maryland job in just his 1st year on the job.
As I said, I don’t want him, but results are results. We can do much better than Grasso. If we can’t, we are in serious trouble.

I did have a great convo with him and some of the Bryant players in Daytona. A couple of players said Grasso is relentless. He’s the first one at the gym and the last to leave. I totally agree that he’s over the top during games but his players seem to really connect with him from what I could see…

I can promise you he would never have a quote like the one Cox had after our GW game.

Anyways, let’s hope we can hit a home run with our next hire. As most have said I think that would be Archie Miller.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago No shot and it would take 3mm to even interest him.
He’s going to get another P6 shot he doesn’t need to come back to a mid major.
He’s either going to a bad P6 team or a strong mid major program. If we offer Archie what we offered Dan I think we would have a shot. He had a bad final season at Indiana, so I don’t see why a program is going to offer him 3mm
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago No way on Grasso not impressed. Gio, Boals has a .650 winning pct at Stony Brook and Ohio and went to the dance last year. Looks poised to do it again this year. A bigger program may come calling but he would be someone we could make a compelling financial offer to. I also like Bryce Drew look at what he is doing at Grand Canyon. Guys like Archie, Pitino aren’t even worth discussing bc they aren’t realistic.
Good call Bryce Drew would be interesting 7 years in the NBA as a player and head coach at Valpo Vandy and Grand Canyon , I won’t complain if he gets an interview
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

So we all are in agreement

TITANIC must go !

CUT BAIT !
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………I think Thor knows exactly what is going on, how could he not, regarding all aspects of the current state of the program………I am going to let it play out, my piling on in some fashion after each game is not helping ME…….more of the same on and off the court is likely……..change will come……..it cannot be status go, as always, go Rhody……..out
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Cox started out of the gate as a “Hurley” and progressed to now being a “Baron”. That suffice to say is not good. Don’t understand why Cox is so Hell bent on not changing starters and rotation. He constantly started that 4 star forward previously that played like a 2 star. Now he will not sit the two Ish’s . The backcourt right now should be Thomas at point and Tres Berry at shooting guards. Add Walker and Martin at forwards and the Mitchell’s share the middle. <——- In my opinion with that starting lineup. We would be a very strong team and much better positioned for the future. Should Cox go now ? Not if he changes the lineup and rotation. ( but his history says he will not).
Last edited by BruceW 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago No shot and it would take 3mm to even interest him.
He’s either going to a bad P6 team or a strong mid major program. If we offer Archie what we offered Dan I think we would have a shot. He had a bad final season at Indiana, so I don’t see why a program is going to offer him 3mm
I don’t know about that. He was 10 games over .500 at IU but made no NCAA appearances. He got a 10.5mm buyout so he has no cash shortage. It would prob take more than we offered Dan to lure him here. Just don’t see it and don’t think it’s realistic.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

BruceW wrote: 2 years ago Cox started out of the gate as a “Hurley” and progressed to now being a “Baron”. That suffice to say is not good. Don’t understand why Cox is so Hell bent on not changing starters and rotation. He constantly started that 4 star forward previously that played like a 2 star. Now he will now sit the two Ish’s . The backcourt right now should be Thomas at point and Tres Berry at shooting guards. Add Walker and Martin at forwards and the Mitchell’s share the middle. <——- In my opinion with that starting lineup. We would be a very strong team and much better positioned for the future. Should Cox go now ? Not if he changes the lineup and rotation. ( but his history says h ex will not).
Fwiw we would struggle to score 40 points a game with that starting lineup.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

BruceW wrote: 2 years ago Cox started out of the gate as a “Hurley” and progressed to now being a “Baron”. That suffice to say is not good. Don’t understand why Cox is so Hell bent on not changing starters and rotation. He constantly started that 4 star forward previously that played like a 2 star. Now he will now sit the two Ish’s . The backcourt right now should be Thomas at point and Tres Berry at shooting guards. Add Walker and Martin at forwards and the Mitchell’s share the middle. <——- In my opinion with that starting lineup. We would be a very strong team and much better positioned for the future. Should Cox go now ? Not if he changes the lineup and rotation. ( but his history says h ex will not).
Need to know the justification of starting Berry.

The only thing he did in the GW was get blown by every single time he was on defense.
4 x
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Reminder: the coach of our basketball team who makes 3/4 of a mil to win basketball games, came out publicly and said that game day wasn’t about winning.
This is the point I was making in the game thread. I'd really like to see a recording or corroboration of this. If it's a real quote this is beyond unacceptable. It's one thing not to be able to do your job. Still a reason to drop you at the end of the season, but it's understandable. It's another thing entirely to be the highest paid employee in the state and refuse to acknowledge what your job is.

While we all wish the program had more fans from the URI community and the larger state as a whole, I think you would have to say generally that we as core fans/donors/season ticket holders are pretty active and generous with support. I don't think we've earned that kind of cavalier messaging from a coach that ultimately we are paying to be here.

I can understand wanting to be a head coach but coming up short when you get your shot. It happens, we'll all move on. I'm less accepting of someone who's basically trying to redefine what the whole goal of a D1 basketball program is so that it more closely matches their poor performance. That to me suggests you've stopped caring, or think the fans are chumps.

The quote was accurate as posted earlier...
He did not say "game day isn't about winning."
He DID say it was about having fun and getting a chance to maybe pick up a win...

Again, it was posted accurately earlier. "Game day is an opportunity to compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win."
Last edited by rhodyrudder 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….agree, do not get the fascination with Berry, even at the B/W scrimmage, I was underwhelmed….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….agree, do not get the fascination with Berry, even at the B/W scrimmage, I was underwhelmed….
Cox said he gave great minutes against GW. I didn't see him do anything. Non-factor really.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, this section of the forum should be changed from 'NCAAs or Bust' to 'Maybe Get a Win', since that seems to be our current coach's goal.
13 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

One of the most ironic parts about that statement is that it sure didn't look to me like anyone was having much fun either.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago

The quote was accurate as posted earlier...
He did not say "game day isn't about winning."
He DID say it was about having fun and getting a chance to maybe pick up a win...

Again, it was posted accurately earlier. "Game day is an opportunity to compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win."
Yes, I was paraphrasing.

But the “maybe pull out a win” being part of his central ethos to coaching is problematic.

Yes, coaching is about molding young men and everything else - but so is being a guidance counselor. As a coach, your #1 job is to win. You can’t help anyone or teach lessons if you’re losing and forget about the winning part.

Yeah there are lessons in losses, but if the lesson isn’t learning from why you lost and then putting the process in place to win, then you’re missing the point entirely.

Bad coaching man. I really thought Cox was the right hire at the time, but how could we expect this dude who was under Thompson, Rice, and Hurley to be this freaking SOFT!?
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s also about the 3rd time he has said something publicly that was cringe worthy…

To paraphrase:

1.) I called a play and Fatts didn’t listen to it

2.) I prepped all week for Tre Mitchell

3.) Let’s have fun
8 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Everyone should show up to the game wearing this...

7 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, this section of the forum should be changed from 'NCAAs or Bust' to 'Maybe Get a Win', since that seems to be our current coach's goal.

Agreed!

"Maybe get a win".. .this is seriously the mentality of playing in a summer volleyball or tennis league. :shock: :roll: :lol:
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Everyone should show up to the game wearing this...

HAHAAHA! Does this go with a "live laugh love" sign over the microwave?
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago So, this section of the forum should be changed from 'NCAAs or Bust' to 'Maybe Get a Win', since that seems to be our current coach's goal.

Agreed!

"Maybe get a win".. .this is seriously the mentality of playing in a summer volleyball or tennis league. :shock: :roll: :lol:
I mean really - that's what most of us on our after work beer league softball team/league say - a few beers and laughs after work on a nice night - and even then we still want to win damn it!
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

'win or lose, we still get ice cream after the game.' - David Cox
5 x
:lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Everyone should show up to the game wearing this...

HAHAAHA! Does this go with a "live laugh love" sign over the microwave?
Underneath it should read....-David Cox.....
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago 'win or lose, we still get ice cream after the game.' - David Cox
No, it's 2022...Free frozen yogurt! :lol:
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago 'win or lose, we still get ice cream after the game.' - David Cox
Back in the mid-90s my soccer coach used to take us to Casey's. That burger and waffle fries were the pure motivation for next Saturday's game.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
No, it's 2022...Free frozen yogurt! :lol:

Haha!! :lol:
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018

"And have fun. Don't forget to have fun, Thorr." - David Cox - January 22, 2022.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago "Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018

"And have fun. Don't forget to have fun, Thorr." - David Cox - January 22, 2022.
……..even though I said I would not pile on, but this quote from Thorr from 2018 remains as the “bar” until such time as he states differently……….if this is the standard, then we have to move on……in the interviews with search committee this standard has to be among the evaluation criteria by which their performance will be expected……..no?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

TITANIC MUST GO.
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

The deck chairs just slid into the icy waters....
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
I don’t know about that. He was 10 games over .500 at IU but made no NCAA appearances. He got a 10.5mm buyout so he has no cash shortage. It would prob take more than we offered Dan to lure him here. Just don’t see it and don’t think it’s realistic.
Why would any P6 program above Indiana want him after he didn't succeed there and how many P6 programs are there that are below Indiana that aren't coach killer jobs? It just seems like the P6 market for him would be super small, so a place like here could be intriguing to him after he wasn't successful at Indiana. Of course we would have to put together a competitive offer, and not just in his salary, to make it worth his while, but I wouldn't disqualify us if the boosters treat luring him like they treated keeping Hurley at the end
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

thats the optimism we need !

RhowdyRam02 gets a shot of my homemade limoncello !
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Why does anyone think that Thorr needs to fire Cox?

Washington Generals on lIne 1 for Coach Cox!
0 x