David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Honestly, I never heard of the guy. Not sure I would pay for a guy a fan like me has never heard of. Let alone the pinks hats in the stands.
No offense but I’m hopeful your familiarity with a candidate isnt a search criteria.
You threw out Boals, who I never heard of. Don't blame me.
In all seriousness, if you’ve heard of a guy who is also considering this job - to me that’s a red flag. If someone has the kind of profile that you would know them and they’re available to us, that means they’re a retread who has either washed out somewhere or had some type of issue. There may be the occasional Harrick-type who actually is the answer and their issue that made them available is a blessing for us - maybe a Sean Miller type. But for the most part the way URI will hit on its coaching hires is to identify someone like Boals who is likely on his way to the big time and we might be able to be the right job at the right time on his journey. That’s what Hurley was, even if in that case you’d heard of him because of his family and maybe remembering him as a player (which again would be mostly by association with his brother and father).

It’s Thorr’s job to know who these guys are, and it’s OK if you don’t know them. But it also doesn’t matter.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That’s called trying to win the press conference instead of trying to win games. Ask programs who have hired former NBA guys primarily for that reason (to please old donors and get some short lived publicity). Most all have been failures. I’ll throw another name…Bryce Drew.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I spoke with our next coach today

Want to know who it was ?

If I told you who it was, if I told you who it was
You'd say I was making it up
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago I spoke with our next coach today

………no, no I don’t want to know…….unless you had dinner in New Rochelle……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What song is this?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
That tells us what URI [and some boosters] can do for the "right" coach.

To bring Archie here, they would have to do about the same.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, as much as I would like to have Pitino here [yes I would sacrifice my morals to do so lol], there's just no way.

His buyout at Iona is rumored to be around 10 mil or so.

That's unless some BIG booster of ours decides to cough that up.

Since Dooley retired, maybe the new prez would say let's go for it.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

What song is this?
If I told you who it was by the man in black

Let me give you some advice bill.. and you Will that k me if you take me seriously

Don't take your guns to town son
Leave your guns at home, Bill
Don't take your guns to town

I better go to night night now before I get Dorsey”d…
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Pitino is a pipe dream also. He’ll be the next coach of Louisville.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 105, as much as I would like to have Pitino here [yes I would sacrifice my morals to do so lol], there's just no way.

I was on board to hire him when we had the chance

Same w Archie

I hate the Debbie downers here

Call the man up and kick the tires
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully Thorr is doing his due diligence looking at potential candidates.

Imo Cox is going to make his decision for him in due time.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 105, as much as I would like to have Pitino here [yes I would sacrifice my morals to do so lol], there's just no way.

Some perspective - I have first hand knowledge of a booster that has that kind of scratch - like could instantly write the check to fund whatever coach he or she agreed was the fit - that won't even attend games due to the mask mandate at the Ryan Center. Think (big) about that...
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RI BRAD IS MY KIND OF GUY

EFF THE DEBBIE DOWNERS HERE

let’s get our guy

CUT BAIT !

Look a-yonder comin'
Comin' down that railroad track
Hey, look a-yonder comin'
Comin' down that railroad track
It's the Orange Blossom Special
Bringin' my baby back
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The way I feel about this season is how I felt during CFL’s last two seasons. The program has regressed terribly. I believe it was 105 who said this recently, that there’s absolutely zero excitement around this team locally. I have many friends who are casual fans and make maybe a handful of home games a season/mini plan holders. Complete crickets from all of them. The casual fan has pretty much disappeared, and this is also one of the only local activities in the winter for us here in SoCo.
5 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago The way I feel about this season is how I felt during CFL’s last two seasons. The program has regressed terribly. I believe it was 105 who said this recently, that there’s absolutely zero excitement around this team locally. I have many friends who are casual fans and make maybe a handful of home games a season/mini plan holders. Complete crickets from all of them. The casual fan has pretty much disappeared, and this is also one of the only local activities in the winter for us here in SoCo.
Exactly. When is the last time someone stopped to talk URI basketball with you? No one cares at all. The only ones that bring up URI basketball are PC fans who get the pleasure of enjoying where the program is at in Kingston
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago The way I feel about this season is how I felt during CFL’s last two seasons. The program has regressed terribly. I believe it was 105 who said this recently, that there’s absolutely zero excitement around this team locally. I have many friends who are casual fans and make maybe a handful of home games a season/mini plan holders. Complete crickets from all of them. The casual fan has pretty much disappeared, and this is also one of the only local activities in the winter for us here in SoCo.
Exactly. When is the last time someone stopped to talk URI basketball with you? No one cares at all. The only ones that bring up URI basketball are PC fans who get the pleasure of enjoying where the program is at in Kingston

I really had extreme faith in this all working out.

Someone also needs to sit the entire coaching staff down and teach them social media skills. I see high school coaches in our state tweeting all the time. Do any of them Tweet about the season, progress, any kind of insight to practices? It’s probably one of the easiest things to do for fan engagement, especially with everything going on.

Perfect example - I see Tammi singing along all the time in her vehicle. Fans of all ages and backgrounds can appreciate this stuff!
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 2 years ago URI in the last two games is 5-32 from 3 and 24-43 at the FT line, just absolutely emBARONsing.

Bozeman looks like your uncle who comes over to watch football game and falls asleep by the second quarter. Carroll is a classic nepotism hire who has no business being in the position he is. And sorry, as much as we love TJ for his playing career and his grit, this is too much too quickly for him. Fire Cox and clean house.

To those that are still on the fence, I ask why?

This is the worst schedule we have played in the last 30 years based on our SOS and it STILL wasn't enough for Cox to salvage his job. Literally, our SOS is negative! Last time that happened was 1988-89! https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... de-island/

Keep in mind this current negative SOS is largely based on a the soft OOC Cox put together.

The Mitchell Twins and Carey are a trio of AAU posterchild's. Coddled and never accepting of coaching and it shows every damn game. No fundamentals, can't make free throws, whining and complaining at every turn.
Post of the year !! Great job couldn’t agree more !!
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

Some perspective - I have first hand knowledge of a booster that has that kind of scratch - like could instantly write the check to fund whatever coach he or she agreed was the fit - that won't even attend games due to the mask mandate at the Ryan Center. Think (big) about that...

There’s a lot of pissed off people in the fan base. When I get casual Rhody fan friends of mine asking “what’s going on?!” It’s loud and clear this is a sinking ship.

After this loss I applaud anyone who’s going to show up for the next six home games.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The FT shooting wasn’t awful overall…the Mitchells foul shooting was awful. Which begs the question why not have Twan a better free throw shooter and comparable player in the game in a tight one. That’s coaching.

We were 20-32 from two point land. It’s coaching when you don’t exploit the obvious advantage inside. Our guys were open for a reason, GWs game plan was clearly let us beat them from the outside. And we fell for the bait. Allowing that to happen for extended periods Iike a whole game is again coaching.
I agree with you to a point. As I watched the game, I thought Cox was trying to get URI's outside game going and Leggett in particular. Ish kept shooting treys as though he was told to shoot them whether he was missing or not. When the game got close and URI returned to their inside game, GW just kept fouling Mahki. A few key missed FTs and TOs down the stretch and that was the ball-game.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………I had mentioned, probably last year when things were headed south, that Cox might resign…….not a chance was the response here………so what has changed?……..nothing except the end of useful life of the contract is at hand……..Cox has got to realize this whole thing is unraveling and has no skill sets necessary to turn it around……often the only person in the room that thinks they are Not doing shit job is the person doing a shit job, but not in this situation, in a win/lose performance based business of D1 college basketball environment, and in clear public view and public perception, Dave has to see where this is headed…….he just might be the type of individual that now he realizes he is over his head and a self initiated separation has to be on his mind……..get his agent with Thor to start negotiating a cooperative agreement and announce an exit strategy that Cox will not seek an extension or renewal….crazy? You tell me…..
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

There’s a lot of pissed off people in the fan base. When I get casual Rhody fan friends of mine asking “what’s going on?!” It’s loud and clear this is a sinking ship.

After this loss I applaud anyone who’s going to show up for the next six home games.
my new name for Cox is now TITANIC
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….and there are no lifeboats and the rearranging the deck chairs is no longer an option…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think about it every game when I'm sitting at home watching on tv instead of being there.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ………I had mentioned, probably last year when things were headed south, that Cox might resign…….not a chance was the response here………so what has changed?……..nothing except the end of useful life of the contract is at hand……..Cox has got to realize this whole thing is unraveling and has no skill sets necessary to turn it around……often the only person in the room that thinks they are Not doing shit job is the person doing a shit job, but not in this situation, in a win/lose performance based business of D1 college basketball environment, and in clear public view and public perception, Dave has to see where this is headed…….he just might be the type of individual that now he realizes he is over his head and a self initiated separation has to be on his mind……..get his agent with Thor to start negotiating a cooperative agreement and announce an exit strategy that Cox will not seek an extension or renewal….crazy? You tell me…..
It's kinda "King of wishful thinking" crazy, but hey, a guy can dream...
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The FT shooting wasn’t awful overall…the Mitchells foul shooting was awful. Which begs the question why not have Twan a better free throw shooter and comparable player in the game in a tight one. That’s coaching.

We were 20-32 from two point land. It’s coaching when you don’t exploit the obvious advantage inside. Our guys were open for a reason, GWs game plan was clearly let us beat them from the outside. And we fell for the bait. Allowing that to happen for extended periods Iike a whole game is again coaching.
I agree with you to a point. As I watched the game, I thought Cox was trying to get URI's outside game going and Leggett in particular. Ish kept shooting treys as though he was told to shoot them whether he was missing or not. When the game got close and URI returned to their inside game, GW just kept fouling Mahki. A few key missed FTs and TOs down the stretch and that was the ball-game.
To add to this, they were wide open threes after good ball movement. Need those to go down to open up the paint again which GW had adjusted to and was guarding better. Two bad shooting nights, it happens. I remind people that even in our best years we sometimes lose to Fordham. This is not our best year.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago URI in the last two games is 5-32 from 3 and 24-43 at the FT line, just absolutely emBARONsing.

Bozeman looks like your uncle who comes over to watch football game and falls asleep by the second quarter. Carroll is a classic nepotism hire who has no business being in the position he is. And sorry, as much as we love TJ for his playing career and his grit, this is too much too quickly for him. Fire Cox and clean house.

This is the worst schedule we have played in the last 30 years based on our SOS and it STILL wasn't enough for Cox to salvage his job. Literally, our SOS is negative! Last time that happened was 1988-89! https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... de-island/

Keep in mind this current negative SOS is largely based on a the soft OOC Cox put together.

The Mitchell Twins and Carey are a trio of AAU posterchild's. Coddled and never accepting of coaching and it shows every damn game. No fundamentals, can't make free throws, whining and complaining at every turn.
What does a negative SOS mean?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago

Negative Strength of Schedule.
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

GW won this game because of coaching. Their coach gave the team a winning formula to employ on the court when it mattered: keep fouling Makhi. A smart coach's response would have been to take him out of the game.

Here's a big problem with Cox for me: When URI wins, I often find it mpossible to identify that one chess move, that one set play or that one brilliant substitution that makes you say "the coaching won it for them this time!" But in virtually every single loss, I can point to MULTIPLE coaching decisions that even someone with an average basketball IQ could tell you contributed directly to the loss.
8 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What I find amusing, is that so many people think we should beat the "bad" teams easily, by at least double digits or whatever.

Well here's breaking news: WE are a bad team!

Or at least no more than a mediocre team with a bad coach.

So why should we be surprised any more?

105, I would love to see Cox quit, and give Bozeman the interim tag for the rest of the season.

Watching him on the bench, it looks like he's already checked out....

He certainly couldn't do any worse than Cox.

If we played a tougher OOC schedule, we'd be closer to 5-12 than 12-5.

Anybody doubt that?
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rambone, forget the record, just watch the games. I've seen enough.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Strength of schedule I get. It’s the negative part I don’t. What does negative strength of schedule mean?
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Again, I hate to see people lose their jobs regardless of the industry. However, this is a different animal. Obviously sports is a result oriented business. Cox will find another good job in the game. No doubt about it. Listening to his post game interviews on the way home you can tell this is not the job for him. No fire in the belly. No ability to make in game adjustments. Finally, what I believe is his biggest flaw is the inability to influence the attitude and performance of his players. I'm not sure they respect him as a head coach. He keeps saying certain players need to gain some maturity (guess who). However there is no indication of growth in maturity and becoming better teammates. In fact it is deteriorating as evidenced by the growing number of in game incidents pointed out on this forum. This is in my opinion his biggest flaw and there is no sign this will change. This isn't the pros where the players run the ship. This is college sports where the head coach must be the leader. Doesn't appear to be the case here. We will continue to go to the games and cheer our team on, but here's hoping that positive changes are in the cards for next season.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago What I find amusing, is that so many people think we should beat the "bad" teams easily, by at least double digits or whatever.

105, I would love to see Cox quit, and give Bozeman the interim tag for the rest of the season.

Anybody doubt that?
I don't doubt your point about the schedule/record. But there's zero chance in my mind that Cox resigns or quits while the team has a winning record, regardless of how it was amassed. That would require more self-awareness than he has shown he is capable of. Resignation is not even on the mind of someone who says "Game day is an opportunity to compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win."

So it's not even worth dwelling on the possibility for me. As NYGFan said already, wishful thinking.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………fair enough, I get it……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago What I find amusing, is that so many people think we should beat the "bad" teams easily, by at least double digits or whatever.

Anybody doubt that?
I don't doubt your point about the schedule/record. But there's zero chance in my mind that Cox resigns or quits while the team has a winning record, regardless of how it was amassed. That would require more self-awareness than he has shown he is capable of. Resignation is not even on the mind of someone who says "Game day is an opportunity to compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win."

So it's not even worth dwelling on the possibility for me. As NYGFan said already, wishful thinking.
I love your new signature line
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..not to pile on, but hey why not……I was not around, in state, for the Jerry D times……..but are we approaching that scale of disaster…….?
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

No. We are in mid-Baron territory. Not even dumpster fire late-Baron yet, nowhere near Jerry D. It’s just…is that what we want? Do we need to be in late-Baron/Jerry D territory to want better? Do we have to slip to that level to do anything proactive? I really hope not.

This isn’t a train wreck, it’s just disappointing, uninspiring mediocrity and irrelevance which is an absolute shame considering where we were a few years ago.
13 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Strength of schedule I get. It’s the negative part I don’t. What does negative strength of schedule mean?
There are metrics that measure strength of schedule, like the one at Sports Reference, which is usually the main database for historical college basketball stats. For them, a SOS of 0.0 means you played an average schedule. As of now, URI has been in the -0.5 to -1.5 range. It'll probably "even out" to a number slightly above 0.0 by the end of the year, because the back half of their A-10 schedule has the more difficult games / better teams.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago No. We are in mid-Baron territory. Not even dumpster fire late-Baron yet, nowhere near Jerry D. It’s just…is that what we want? Do we need to be in late-Baron/Jerry D territory to want better? Do we have to slip to that level to do anything proactive? I really hope not.

This isn’t a train wreck, it’s just disappointing, uninspiring mediocrity and irrelevance which is an absolute shame considering where we were a few years ago.
This team reminds me more of Jerry D's teams than Baron's.
3 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago No. We are in mid-Baron territory. Not even dumpster fire late-Baron yet, nowhere near Jerry D. It’s just…is that what we want? Do we need to be in late-Baron/Jerry D territory to want better? Do we have to slip to that level to do anything proactive? I really hope not.

I’d say this is closer to late Baron than mid Baron. Mid Baron could at least squeak out an NIT invite.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I have no idea what Thorr and administration feel about the situation the basketball program is in. I actually have faith in Thorr and any decision he would make if they were to hire a new coach. He made home run hires with Hurley and Tammi Reiss, excellent hire in Fleming. Whether you like Cox or you don't and didn't like when he was originally hired he was very deserving of an opportunity. It hasn't worked out
4 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I have no idea what Thorr and administration feel about the situation the basketball program is in. I actually have faith in Thorr and any decision he would make if they were to hire a new coach. He made home run hires with Hurley and Tammi Reiss, excellent hire in Fleming. Whether you like Cox or you don't and didn't like when he was originally hired he was very deserving of an opportunity. It hasn't worked out
Agreed. I trust Thorr will find someone good.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I don't see Archie coming here and is probably a pipe dream, but I have no problem with "thinking big". Boals was a very hot name when he was an assistant at Ohio State. Can't say that I've really followed him. I like Mason as a young and rising star. How about Jarred Grasso? Even though Bryant is here in state I can't say that I've seen them play a lot under him but the couple of times I have they were impressive. He's still very young and is always had the reputation of being a relentless worker and outstanding recruiter
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago I have no idea what Thorr and administration feel about the situation the basketball program is in. I actually have faith in Thorr and any decision he would make if they were to hire a new coach. He made home run hires with Hurley and Tammi Reiss, excellent hire in Fleming. Whether you like Cox or you don't and didn't like when he was originally hired he was very deserving of an opportunity. It hasn't worked out
I actually largely agree with this — but his success with Hurley/Reiss/Fleming only serves to magnify Cox's shortcomings and actually makes it more imperative that he take another swing at this one before any more time is wasted.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……as I and others have said, the flagship athletic, money raising program is adrift……attendance down, season ticket holders headed for the door, no local interest, etc etc…….this has to have Thor concerned big time…….
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
giovanni
Carlton Owens

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
I actually largely agree with this — but his success with Hurley/Reiss/Fleming only serves to magnify Cox's shortcomings and actually makes it more imperative that he take another swing at this one before any more time is wasted.

Agreed. I'm not defending Cox hire in any manner, though I certainly had no problem with it when made. I do believe he paid his dues, had Danny's endorsement so it was a reasonable to give him an opportunity. You never know what you have when you hire someone with no head coaching experience some guys succeed others don't obviously. But with that being said he was given an opportunity and things haven't worked on so yes it's certainly time to move on and not waste anymore time
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No way on Grasso not impressed. Gio, Boals has a .650 winning pct at Stony Brook and Ohio and went to the dance last year. Looks poised to do it again this year. A bigger program may come calling but he would be someone we could make a compelling financial offer to. I also like Bryce Drew look at what he is doing at Grand Canyon. Guys like Archie, Pitino aren’t even worth discussing bc they aren’t realistic.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago No way on Grasso not impressed. Gio, Boals has a .650 winning pct at Stony Brook and Ohio and went to the dance last year. Looks poised to do it again this year. A bigger program may come calling but he would be someone we could make a compelling financial offer to. I also like Bryce Drew look at what he is doing at Grand Canyon. Guys like Archie, Pitino aren’t even worth discussing bc they aren’t realistic.

Like I said I admit to not knowing a lot about Grasso , or seeing his teams even though I am here in state. I do remember talking to people in the coaching world probably 10 years ago that they loved his work ethic and supposedly has excellent recruiting connections. .650 is outstanding win % no doubt, and if they do make a move they definitely have to look at someone that has experience running a program and being head coach. Kevin Willard, who I believe is a terrific coach, was under 500 in his short tenure at Iona if I remember correctly. I'm not saying that proving you can win at a high % shouldn't be on top of the hiring criteria, but there are some cases where winning % can be misleading to a degree depending on the situation.
0 x