1/22 | George Washington | 12:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/22 | George Washington | 12:30PM (USA)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Having the Mitchells in the game with a couple of minutes to go, having shot 3-16 combined FT's, is beyond criminal.

At least sub them out on offense........and Cox said they didn't go inside anymore because they couldn't make FT's?

That's called contradicting himself. What a dope.
6 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Titans sacked Joe Burrow 9 times. They needed 10. ;)
Yeahhh we are the only franchise that can find a way to lose a game like that.

All my teams are cursed.
I'm a Pats fan but I think Vrabel is great - especially when he sticks it to Belichick.
Vrabes is the alpha. We just need a legit QB. I mean Vrabel is the most Belickick coach not named Belichick
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah the Titans relatively conservative offense kept the Bengals in the game.

If Burrow gets sacked that many times against either the Bills or Chiefs, they're toast.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Having the Mitchells in the game with a couple of minutes to go, having shot 3-16 combined FT's, is beyond criminal.

At least sub them out on offense........and Cox said they didn't go inside anymore because they couldn't make FT's?

Ya, and I understand why people were hesitant to play Walker. Walker is not a good free-throw shooter either, and he hasn't looked good the last two games. However, he still had a better second half than Makhi, and he's a veteran player.. I think he should have been in the game. Makhi was so in his head that every single person knew he was going to miss free throw after free throw. Either put Walker in or go small... Thomas had a great first half and he played 2 minutes in the second half. I don't understand why we would continue to do exactly what GW wanted.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago Zero percent chance we renew our season tickets if David Cox is still the coach after this season.
I have 4 together with a friend that has another 4. I'm dropping 2 off them at least and maybe switching to the women's team. They deserve our support.
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago Zero percent chance we renew our season tickets if David Cox is still the coach after this season.
I have 4 together with a friend that has another 4. I'm dropping 2 off them at least and maybe switching to the women's team. They deserve our support.
I'll say. 14-3 and 7 in a row. Plus they have a really good coach.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

We really should switch over to the woman’s team for tickets. Better coach, better team and probably cheaper tickets.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago The Good news with this loss is that there will be no more arguments about the NIT and Cox should get replaced. This is such an unlikable team. Next years team will be no better with where they stand now. They were lucky to win some of the other games against bad teams. They earned this
At this point in the season I am usually always hyped about who’s going to be coming to Kingston in the fall. I haven’t even really heard of anyone stellar coming in?

I would sincerely hope that Thor and those upper level in the AD as well as university administration are having serious conversations about the status of this program.

How would this even be marketable to the kind of recruits needed for a tourney bid.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't get it, why is everyone being so negative!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (sarcasm font)
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Cox actually just said this in his post game:
"Game day is an opportunity to compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win."
That sounds like a response someone playing a charity softball game. “Hey it’s all for a good cause. Get out there and have some fun, it’s okay if we maybe win”
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Cox actually just said this in his post game:
"Game day is an opportunity to compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win."
That sounds like a response someone playing a charity softball game. “Hey it’s all for a good cause. Get out there and have some fun, it’s okay if we maybe win”
Literally unbelievable.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Not worried

This is exactly what we needed the flip the switch.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

We really should switch over to the woman’s team for tickets. Better coach, better team and probably cheaper tickets.
I follow Tammi on social media. She’s so high energy, motivator, and leader. Her car singalongs are golden. Very proud of the direction she has taken.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago You’re 100% correct. And the reason they were in that situation is one of the worst shooting performances I’ve seen in recent memory. The offensive flow wasn’t even that bad, they couldn’t make open shots. Coupled with leaving 16 points at the FT line. You make 2 more of those 3s and 5-10 more of those FTs and it was a comfortable win.
If we had made a couple more FTs and 3s and won the game by about 5 points or so would you have been impressed by the performance and felt like things were heading in the right direction?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I just saw this as a reply to the main MBB Twitter account
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Having the Mitchells in the game with a couple of minutes to go, having shot 3-16 combined FT's, is beyond criminal.

Seriously in a game that’s within 5 points with 5 or less minutes any coach should just hack a Makhi and make him make free throws
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Really though, where was Malik? Did he not play?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Injured at umass.
Fought through it last game,
but it had gotten worse.
He did not dress.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago The Good news with this loss is that there will be no more arguments about the NIT and Cox should get replaced. This is such an unlikable team. Next years team will be no better with where they stand now. They were lucky to win some of the other games against bad teams. They earned this
At this point in the season I am usually always hyped about who’s going to be coming to Kingston in the fall. I haven’t even really heard of anyone stellar coming in?

I would sincerely hope that Thor and those upper level in the AD as well as university administration are having serious conversations about the status of this program.

How would this even be marketable to the kind of recruits needed for a tourney bid.
I get the hate today, but we have two maybe three guys leaving at the end of the year and we have a McDonalds all American candidate recruit coming in for next year. This year is about getting the Mitchells to be better. They can dominate the A10 (in many respects they already are) and will carry the team next year.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

I get the hate today, but we have two maybe three guys leaving at the end of the year and we have a McDonalds all American candidate recruit coming in for next year. This year is about getting the Mitchells to be better. They can dominate the A10 (in many respects they already are) and will carry the team next year.
I think saying we have a McDonalds All American candidate might be a bit much. Wasn't Harris and Carey above the level Stephens entering college? Obviously Stephens is about the only thing this program has going for it. For me I could care if the the Twins stay or go. They are just players that are very tough to root for and just don't seem like the type of players you win with. Cox treats them like he did Fatts. If you get a good coach he can get transfers, recruits and do something Cox doesn't do in terms of providing fundamentals and helping them develop their game. There isn't
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..OK, I thought last year was getting the Mitchell’s their major playing time, get them up to speed in the A-10 level of competition to carry us this year…….so then, has there been the necessary growth demonstrated this year enough to make the players around them better to carry us next year, and carry us where ?…….top of A-1?……..IDK, Cox may not have the opportunity to have one more year to deliver………the six inches between their ears is for me a barrier to their further development……..
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Can't even get myself upset about yesterday. Just can't warm up to this team. Too many questionable attitudes. Maybe they're all great kids; there's more to life to basketball, and so forth, but I just don't like what I see on the court. Honestly, I just am not interested in watching these guys play, and rolling my tickets over for this season was a waste of time and money. As for next year, I just can't see how this group and coach with one addition and a few subtractions could possibly be any better. This year is it for me.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Chance is a regional McDonalds AA nominee. That’s not a McD AA slow your roll there but I do appreciate the optimism. Makhel has improved over his 2 years but I don’t think Makhi has.
6 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Also, thinking you can build your team around two centers who cannot defend outside, are turnover prone, foul prone, and can't shoot free throws is very flawed thinking.
10 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thinking that Cox will become a good coach is seriously flawed thinking.
8 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Chance is a regional McDonalds AA nominee. That’s not a McD AA slow your roll there but I do appreciate the optimism. Makhel has improved over his 2 years but I don’t think Makhi has.
Shep for me has been the biggest disappointment.
I really expected him to step up and make a significant impact, this being his last season.
Last year he was shooting 47% FG, this season around 37%.

Malik continues to be one of my favorite players.
He is the ultimate glue guy, very noticeable when he is missing from the line-up.
He brings a certain energy when he is on the floor.
5 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Chance is a regional McDonalds AA nominee. That’s not a McD AA slow your roll there but I do appreciate the optimism. Makhel has improved over his 2 years but I don’t think Makhi has.
What happened to Makhi being the supposedly "better twin"? LOL.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm starting to understand what the Maryland fans warned us about regarding the twins. And I'm not talking about free throws. They continue to be immature and their attitudes stink. I haven't heard much from Mama on twitter lately. She crushed the Maryland program when her kids were there. I guess since they are playing, that's all that matters to her. Winning is unimportant. I was really excited when I heard the twins were transferring here. Now I don't give a shit if they leave when Cox gets fired.
6 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

And if the coach and these players stay next year, you’ll be saying the same thing again. It’s a year to get Chance comfortable with the team so we can be ready to win the A10 the following year. The delusion year after year is truly unbelievable.

There is a Portuguese saying that is so accurate right now: “The worst blindness is the one who chooses not to see.” We have quite a few of those who don’t want to truly see what’s going on in our program.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I get the hate today, but we have two maybe three guys leaving at the end of the year and we have a McDonalds all American candidate recruit coming in for next year. This year is about getting the Mitchells to be better. They can dominate the A10 (in many respects they already are) and will carry the team next year.
Oh no, is it already the time of the season where we overhype next year's incoming players and expect them to be the difference. My least favorite time of the year.

For the record, there were close to 800 McDonalds AA regional nominees named. A nice accomplishment for sure, but its not like he will be out there playing in the AA game against Duke and Kentucky recruits and its probably not fair to expect him to come in and be an instant contributor. We lose 2 starting guards next year that will need to be replaced in the portal most likely.
Last edited by adam914 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I don’t think it’s bad attitudes. Lack of discipline and immaturity yes. Two things that a coach can counter.

Here’s the thing they have tons of potential and you take them every day if you can get them. Their FT form and technique is not bad. It’s 110% about focus, mental toughness and confidence. Also things a coach can counter.

Makhel IMO has been better than advertised. He’s prob the 3rd or 4th best C in the league as a sophomore. Yes he can improve and still has flaws but he has cut down on TOs gotten better at staying on his feet and out of foul trouble and has shown noticeable development IMO as a player. I don’t think the same is true for Makhi unfortunately. And I also 1,000,000% never thought playing them together for long stretches at this point would yield positive results. But here we are.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think it’s bad attitudes. Lack of discipline and immaturity yes. Two things that a coach can counter.

Here’s the thing they have tons of potential and you take them every day if you can get them. Their FT form and technique is not bad. It’s 110% about focus, mental toughness and confidence. Also things a coach can counter.

Makhel IMO has been better than advertised. He’s prob the 3rd or 4th best C in the league as a sophomore. Yes he can improve and still has flaws but he has cut down on TOs gotten better at staying on his feet and out of foul trouble and has shown noticeable development IMO as a player. I don’t think the same is true for Makhi unfortunately. And I also 1,000,000% never thought playing them together for long stretches at this point would yield positive results. But here we are.
What centers are better than Makhel in the A-10?
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I'm starting to understand what the Maryland fans warned us about regarding the twins. And I'm not talking about free throws. They continue to be immature and their attitudes stink. I haven't heard much from Mama on twitter lately. She crushed the Maryland program when her kids were there. I guess since they are playing, that's all that matters to her. Winning is unimportant. I was really excited when I heard the twins were transferring here. Now I don't give a shit if they leave when Cox gets fired.
I did wonder why they got no playing time at Maryland. I guess that should have been a warning sign to all.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think it’s bad attitudes. Lack of discipline and immaturity yes. Two things that a coach can counter.

Osunniyi (Bonnies) and Oduro (Mason) for sure. Holmes at Dayton and Golden at Richmond also in the convo. I’d put him somewhere in that mix after the first two.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I'm starting to understand what the Maryland fans warned us about regarding the twins. And I'm not talking about free throws. They continue to be immature and their attitudes stink. I haven't heard much from Mama on twitter lately. She crushed the Maryland program when her kids were there. I guess since they are playing, that's all that matters to her. Winning is unimportant. I was really excited when I heard the twins were transferring here. Now I don't give a shit if they leave when Cox gets fired.
I did wonder why they got no playing time at Maryland. I guess that should have been a warning sign to all.
Eh, plenty of freshmen especially bigs don’t get much burn immediately at good P5 programs. Maryland had Jalen Smith (NBA) and a bunch of other bigs that season so that’s not really a tell.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I agree with you regarding their games and also that they should not be playing together . If Cox is replaced by a coach who is a disciplinarian, do you think they would respond? I have my doubts about that. They're not kids. They're 21 years old and still have a lot of growing up to do. Not that it would matter. I doubt they would be here if Cox is fired.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….anyone have anything on Thomas not seeing much time down the stretch?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Osunniyi (Bonnies) and Oduro (Mason) for sure. Holmes at Dayton and Golden at Richmond also in the convo. I’d put him somewhere in that mix after the first two.
I would also add Luka (Davidson) and Okoro (SLU/ Oregon transfer) to the mix.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I would be interested to see the Mitchell twins development under a coach like Schmidt. Let alone someone like Pitino. They definitely have high A 10 level talent. Their attitudes and work ethic in game are poor. To what extent , a different or better coach would have on them is unknown. But they certainly need a coach who would give them some tough love and more discipline not a "friend" who cowers to them . Give them Hassan's heart and savvy or Cyril's work ethic and tenacity you have two first team A -10 players
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I would also add Luka (Davidson) and Okoro (SLU/ Oregon transfer) to the mix.
Oh for sure. Add Brajkovic to the mix with Osun and Oduro as clear cut better. Albeit all 3 have much more experience.
He’s in that next tier with Golden, Holmes, Okuro.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….anyone have anything on Thomas not seeing much time down the stretch?
He passes too much. We wouldn't want to reach double figures in assists for the game, would we?
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago
What happened to Makhi being the supposedly "better twin"? LOL.
Ceiling was reached before he got here.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago The Good news with this loss is that there will be no more arguments about the NIT, and Cox should get replaced. This is such an unlikable team. Next years team will be no better with where they stand now. They were lucky to win some of the other games against bad teams. They earned this

Here we go again. It’s always the recruit that hasn’t played yet that will be the savior of our program. First it was the twins and Carey. Then Betrand. Now it’s Chance.

Listen, I love that Chance bleeds Rhody blue. He has a beautiful shot. From the games I’ve watched, he has some issues when teams play him tight. He can drive, but he doesn’t look that quick with the ball. I think he’ll need some time to adjust against faster and stronger guards at our level. He’s going to be a big piece eventually, but please don’t expect a freshman to come in and make the impact we would need to become anything more than a mediocre A-10 team.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All the talk about the talent or potential talent here is moot, until we have a coach that can maximize their abilities.

We could have Duke's talent and we would still struggle with the current coach we have.

As for the Mitchells, they would be riding serious pine because any coach worth his salt wouldn't put up with their antics.
3 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Eh, plenty of freshmen especially bigs don’t get much burn immediately at good P5 programs. Maryland had Jalen Smith (NBA) and a bunch of other bigs that season so that’s not really a tell.
Good point. I guess we can chalk up the transfer to either impatience or an issue with the coaching staff, real or perceived.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Good point. I guess we can chalk up the transfer to either impatience or an issue with the coaching staff, real or perceived.
https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 141262196/
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I sincerely appreciate your optimism here, but you’re right you are essentially saying right here how next season will pan out. If there is a new HC next season, would we call it a rebuilding year? If Cox is still here, would we call it a rebuilding year or another year of mediocre basketball?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….if Cox is still here next year, close off the 300 sections, keep what’s left of the season ticket holders in the 100 section and center court 200 sections……..wouldn’t look so bad on TV…….students who care the end zone 100/s………ouch…….
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Cox is still here next year, you won't see me at the RC covid or not.......to watch men's BB I mean.
5 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Does anyone have a link to video or audio of the postgame presser yesterday? I turned off as soon as the game was over but if he really said "Game day is an opportunity to compete, have fun and maybe pull out a win" I'm going to have to watch.
0 x