David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

STC thanks for the love !

emBARONsing !
3 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The FT shooting wasn’t awful overall…the Mitchells foul shooting was awful. Which begs the question why not have Twan a better free throw shooter and comparable player in the game in a tight one. That’s coaching.

We were 20-32 from two point land. It’s coaching when you don’t exploit the obvious advantage inside. Our guys were open for a reason, GWs game plan was clearly let us beat them from the outside. And we fell for the bait. Allowing that to happen for extended periods Iike a whole game is again coaching.
Yup, I was perplexed about why we kept Makhi in. It was mental. Anyone who has played the game knows that feeling you get after you miss free throws in critical moments. It sucks, and it's hard to get out of your head.. I wish we put Walker back in...
Exactly. You just can’t play a guy late when he’s been that poor from the line, especially when his brother isn’t exactly Steph Curry from the line either.
This type of decision lends credence to those who feel that some sort of guaranteed playing time agreement was made with the Mitchells to get them to come here.
4 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Cox actually said in the post game he stopped pounding the ball inside because of the free throw shooting. Like that’s the only adjustment he could have made.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

On the postgame show, Cox called GW a "really good team". I'm not kidding. HE SAID THAT!!!
5 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Damn.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago On the postgame show, Cox called GW a "really good team". I'm not kidding. HE SAID THAT!!!
Belichick calls 0-12 teams "good teams". Difference is he then beats the snot out of those teams.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I really like Cox as a human being. But it’s clear he doesn’t have it. I was begging and pleading to be wrong. Either he’s not a good game time coach or the talent just isn’t there. Either way it’s on him.
We've seen his current ceiling as a coach. He's a great assistant coach and he'd probably be a good head coach at a school like his alma mater William and Mary. He can go out and get talent for someone else to win with and he'd be a great representative as head coach at a school with limited expectations for their program. Unfortunately for everyone involved that isn't good enough for his current position
7 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

STC wrote: 2 years ago URI in the last two games is 5-32 from 3 and 24-43 at the FT line, just absolutely emBARONsing.

Bozeman looks like your uncle who comes over to watch football game and falls asleep by the second quarter. Carroll is a classic nepotism hire who has no business being in the position he is. And sorry, as much as we love TJ for his playing career and his grit, this is too much too quickly for him. Fire Cox and clean house.

To those that are still on the fence, I ask why?

This is the worst schedule we have played in the last 30 years based on our SOS and it STILL wasn't even for Cox to salvage his job. Literally, our SOS is negative! Last time that happened was 1988-89! https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... de-island/

Keep in mind this current negative SOS is largely based on a the soft OOC Cox put together.

The Mitchell Twins and Carey are a trio of AAU posterchild's. Coddled and never accepting of coaching and it shows every damn game. No fundamentals, can't make free throws, whining and complaining at every turn.
Now is not the time to throw in the towel. We are so close to becoming the Iona of the Northeast.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Hire Kevin Ollie

Didn’t Cox say this year’s OOC schedule was weak by choice so we could regain our culture? What culture is that…the Baron one…certainly not the Hurley one.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Bumping this and updating with current season records. Removing Pitino as it's not even a pipe dream at this point. Same thing when Mark Schmidt is mentioned, it's just not happening at this point.

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates - Cleveland State 12-4 (8-1) 1st Horizon League
Bob Richey - Furman 13-7 (5-2) 2nd SoCon

Usual Suspects:
John Becker - Vermont 12-4 (4-0) 1st America East
Tommy Amaker - Harvard 10-5 (2-1) 3rd Ivy League

Doubtful for various reasons but fun to consider:
Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall

Availability TBD:
Bobby Hurley - Arizona State 6-9 (2-3) 9th Pac12

STC wrote: 2 years ago Slightly updated based on feedback:

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Usual Suspects:
John Becker
Tommy Amaker

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates
Bob Richey

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Rick Pitino

Availability TBD:
Bobby Hurley
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Please remove Archie. He’s not coming here and we aren’t paying a HC north of 2MM when we treat our TV broadcast like an internship. Let’s deal in reality.

I’d add King Rice and Bashir Mason to the consideration set. The guy who would be a home run is Jeff Boals at Ohio U.
5 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

Archie isn’t coming here. Kevin Ollie?
0 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Why would Boals leave his alma mater to make similar $$ here?
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Thoughts on Joe Mazzulla as an option? He might have eyes set on NBA but from RI currently an assistant coach for Celtics after being an assistant in college. He might not have the resume yet as some of the other coaches listed but he is up and coming
0 x
Clapton is God
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Why would Boals leave his alma mater to make similar $$ here?
Because he’s making 580k at Ohio U. It’s a 1 bid league. And we could pay him 2-3x that if we really wanted him.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago Thoughts on Joe Mazzulla as an option? He might have eyes set on NBA but from RI currently an assistant coach for Celtics after being an assistant in college. He might not have the resume yet as some of the other coaches listed but he is up and coming
Doubt you would go with another guy without HC experience if this regime was terminated.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Archie isn’t coming here. Kevin Ollie?
Kevin Ollie? Man, some people.
3 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Big Apple, we’re not paying him over 1 million, state salary is $315K, he gets some Adidas money, a free car and some other stuff, but he’s not over $1 million.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Why would Boals leave his alma mater to make similar $$ here?
We offered Hurley $2 million plus. Is that what he's making?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed. No way on Ollie his reputation precedes him.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Added Mason, Rice, Boals. Really like the Boals addition. Changed the 3rd category a bit as Becker, Amaker, Rice all have 9+ years at current stop. Leaving Archie as he has to land somewhere and I'm not sure it will be P5 and we saw URI donors step up to try and keep Hurley. Joe Mazzula still has to add to his resume prior to URI HC consideration IMO.

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Up and Coming:
Jeff Boals - Ohio 14-3 (5-1) MAC
Bashir Mason - Wagner 11-2 (7-0) NEC

Experienced HC's:
King Rice - Monmouth 11-6 (3-3) 6th MAAC

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall

Availability TBD:

STC wrote: 2 years ago Bumping this and updating with current season records. Removing Pitino as it's not even a pipe dream at this point. Same thing when Mark Schmidt is mentioned, it's just not happening at this point.

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Up and Coming:

Usual Suspects:

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall

Availability TBD:

STC wrote: 2 years ago Slightly updated based on feedback:

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Usual Suspects:
John Becker
Tommy Amaker

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates
Bob Richey

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Rick Pitino

Availability TBD:
Bobby Hurley
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Big Apple, we’re not paying him over 1 million, state salary is $315K, he gets some Adidas money, a free car and some other stuff, but he’s not over $1 million.
Like said before. we offered Hurley over $2 Million.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Big Apple, we’re not paying him over 1 million, state salary is $315K, he gets some Adidas money, a free car and some other stuff, but he’s not over $1 million.
We have the resources to pay Boals much more than he makes at Ohio. I’m not saying we have the appetite for that but he’s far more proven than any other name thrown out there.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We just beat Amaker on his home court this season. I was there and not impressed with his Coaching or the effort of his team.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Amaker has peaked. He’s at the back nine of his career, no thanks.
4 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

BAR, I think he would be great, but we’re not throwing a $500 K base at him. The offer to Hurley was to get a proven, successful coach to stay here, based on our history do you think there’s anyway we pony up with that type of offer again?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Amaker has peaked. He’s at the back nine of his career, no thanks.
I agree on Amaker but why not remove Rice too? Very similar ages and resume. Seems like both had their opportunity to jump in the last few years and didn't.

RIce is essentially a .500 coach at Monmouth in 9 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Rice
Last edited by STC 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Up and Coming:
Jeff Boals - Ohio 14-3 (5-1) 2nd MAC
Bashir Mason - Wagner 11-2 (7-0) 1st NEC

Experienced HC's:

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall

Availability TBD:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I like Miller. Pass on the rest. I think we should spend $2 million min for a coach. Get him in, and let him know NCAA or BUST!!!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I like Miller. Pass on the rest. I think we should spend $2 million min for a coach. Get him in, and let him know NCAA or BUST!!!!
The Millers are both going back to P6. And it would take 2.5-3MM to even compel Archie. It’s not happening and it’s not useful to throw names out that aren’t realistic (I.e. Pitino). We have a poster saying we won’t pay 500k base and then next poster throwing out Archie.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I believe Archie Miller is going to be the top candidate for Butler if they should decide to move on from Lavall Jordan.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I like Miller. Pass on the rest. I think we should spend $2 million min for a coach. Get him in, and let him know NCAA or BUST!!!!
The Millers are both going back to P6. And it would take 2.5-3MM to even compel Archie. It’s not happening and it’s not useful to throw names out that aren’t realistic (I.e. Pitino). We have a poster saying we won’t pay 500k base and then next poster throwing out Archie.
So what are we paying Bar? $500k or $2 mill? Big difference. If we are paying $500K, I'll just get the family 4 pack with free popcorn and sodas.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago I believe Archie Miller is going to be the top candidate for Butler if they should decide to move on from Lavall Jordan.
I agree with this take. Jordan is coaching his way out of Butler and they have the BE dollars to chase.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 2 years ago I believe Archie Miller is going to be the top candidate for Butler if they should decide to move on from Lavall Jordan.
Chris Mack could also be a top candidate at Butler if he gets canned.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
So what are we paying Bar? $500k or $2 mill? Big difference. If we are paying $500K, I'll just get the family 4 pack with free popcorn and sodas.
Like I said I think we have the means and could make a compelling offer to someone like Boals who is making 600k in a 1 bid league and has like a .640 winning percentage at Stony Brook and Ohio. He’d be my #1 target. Double his salary and that’s a reason he might leave his alma mater.
Last edited by bigappleram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Miller would be great, but URI will not pay 2 million a year themselves...the boosters would have to chip in a substantial amount of that, like they were willing to do to keep Dan.

I'm with BAR though, we should make a play for Boals....or maybe Mason...definitely an up and comer.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Like I said I think we have the means and could make a compelling offer to someone like Boals who is making 600k in a 1 bid league and has like a .630 winning percentage at Stony Brook and Ohio. He’d be my #1 target. Double his salary and that’s a reason he might leave his alma mater.
Honestly, I never heard of the guy. Not sure I would pay for a guy a fan like me has never heard of. Let alone the pinks hats in the stands.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Like I said I think we have the means and could make a compelling offer to someone like Boals who is making 600k in a 1 bid league and has like a .630 winning percentage at Stony Brook and Ohio. He’d be my #1 target. Double his salary and that’s a reason he might leave his alma mater.
Honestly, I never heard of the guy. Not sure I would pay for a guy a fan like me has never heard of. Let alone the pinks hats in the stands.
No offense but I’m hopeful your familiarity with a candidate isnt a search criteria.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Had u ever heard of Brad Stevens? I hope you would admit that’s a rather absurd filter.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

No offense but I’m hopeful your familiarity with a candidate isnt a search criteria.
You threw out Boals, who I never heard of. Don't blame me.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Had u ever heard of Brad Stevens? I hope you would admit that’s a rather absurd filter.
You are being facetious. The whole world knows who Brad Stevens is. Let's take a poll on who knows who the coach of Stony Brook is.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Added Chris Mack to the list. While I find Boals intriguing, the last two HC's to have success at Ohio left for a P5 school (Jim Christian, John Groce) so I'm not sure a third stop at URI is needed for Boals to get to a P5. Both Boals and Archie may ultimately prove to be unrealistic.

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Up and Coming:
Jeff Boals - Ohio 14-3 (5-1) 2nd MAC
Bashir Mason - Wagner 11-2 (7-0) 1st NEC

Experienced HC's:

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall

Availability TBD:
Chris Mack - Louisville 11-8 (5-4) 7th ACC
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He’s the coach of Ohio U. And did you know who Brad Stevens was before he made the final four? Or before he got hired at Butler? I’d assume no. Would you have heard of the 25 game winning Wagner coach if he didn’t have a famous last name?
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I believe we offered Hurley 2 mil. at the last min when it was basically a Hail Mary. A new hire isn’t seeing the 2 mil.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Matt Keebler wrote: 2 years ago Archie isn’t coming here. Kevin Ollie?
Kevin Ollie? Man, some people.
Honestly- I’d keep Cox before hiring Ollie.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago I believe we offered Hurley 2 mil. at the last min when it was basically a Hail Mary. A new hire isn’t seeing the 2 mil.
So I guess I'm back to ground zero. I didn't step foot into the Ryan Center until 2007/2008? Whichever year they finally became ranked. I got a refund on my tix this year. Didn't rollover. I'm stepping out again.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Heh? What does that mean?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

gorhody89 wrote: 2 years ago Thoughts on Joe Mazzulla as an option? He might have eyes set on NBA but from RI currently an assistant coach for Celtics after being an assistant in college. He might not have the resume yet as some of the other coaches listed but he is up and coming
……..no, God no……..I mean w/o street cred as a former or current HC, no way, I said this before, no more OJT for us…..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Like said before. we offered Hurley over $2 Million.
That was never confirmed. It came down to UCONN and Pitt. We were never in the conversation. And Pitt was only used to drive up the UCONN price and allow Danny Boy to leave URI gracefully. Papa Bob and Coach Jim orchestrated the entire charade.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That’s really not true but it’s a good story
1 x