IONA and Rick Pitino 2020-2021

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

IONA and Rick Pitino 2020-2021

Unread post by ramster »

None of the 6 players Pitino recruited have ever stepped foot on the campus because of the virus situation.

All recruiting was done through studying video and meeting players over Zoom. Three of the recruits are ranked among the top 100 junior-college prospects in the nation; two of them are top-30 players, Pitino said.
"We feel very comfortable with them," Pitino said. "Any time you beat out schools like Rutgers, Tulsa and Florida State for players, you have to be."
The eight new players include six Pitino recruits and two who signed to play for Tim Cluess. All eight will be eligible to compete during the 2020-21 season and Pitino said the team will lean heavily on newcomers on the heels of a 12-17 season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-BB12K0Vu
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: IONA and Rick Pitino 2020-2021

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We could use a top 30 ranked JUCO for next season...immediately eligible.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
Are his hookers socially distancing from the team?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Will Iona be better than Rhody next year?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Will Iona be better than Rhody next year?
Taking that as a yes... :(
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Probably makes sense to move the ProJo bit and subsequent off topic “discussion” over here for continuity

Or not I’m kinda diggin the free form Wild West stuff going on around these parts

😈
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agreed
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Pitino is a jerk.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Does anyone believe this is Rick’s last stop?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone believe this is Rick’s last stop?
I, um...sure hope not
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Smokinjimit2 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone believe this is Rick’s last stop?
I, um...sure hope not
I was one of those that said no way to Pitino.....

Screw it.....we would be in a different place with him, that's for sure.

Could have got him cheap, and maybe kept him until he retires?

URI sold their soul to get Harrick......so why not again.

208, if he does leave Iona, he's going to want to get back to a higher level than URI.

That ship has sailed.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I admit I always been a Pitino guy because of his coaching and the way his teams play , I would have loved it if we gave him a chance after DH left for Storrs
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I'm still torn....he certainly was toxic at the time DH left for Storrs, so it probably was a non starter (Dooley wouldn't have allowed Thorr to hire him even if Thorr wanted to). Maybe a year or two later would have been different. That said, watching the mental gymnastics PC fans would have to go through to either hate their hero Pitino or root for him coaching URI may have been worth it. No doubt we would have been better short term, but would the costs have been worth it? Would the juice be worth the squeeze?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago I'm still torn....he certainly was toxic at the time DH left for Storrs, so it probably was a non starter (Dooley wouldn't have allowed Thorr to hire him even if Thorr wanted to). Maybe a year or two later would have been different. That said, watching the mental gymnastics PC fans would have to go through to either hate their hero Pitino or root for him coaching URI may have been worth it. No doubt we would have been better short term, but would the costs have been worth it? Would the juice be worth the squeeze?
I'll always take short term success, I might be in the minority with that though.

Look at the Raptors with Kawhi. Traded for him knowing it was 99.9% a one year rental, but ended up winning the title.

If Pitino was here for 2/3 years and gave us multiple tourney appearances along with one Sweet 16, I gladly would have signed up for that.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago I'm still torn....he certainly was toxic at the time DH left for Storrs, so it probably was a non starter (Dooley wouldn't have allowed Thorr to hire him even if Thorr wanted to). Maybe a year or two later would have been different. That said, watching the mental gymnastics PC fans would have to go through to either hate their hero Pitino or root for him coaching URI may have been worth it. No doubt we would have been better short term, but would the costs have been worth it? Would the juice be worth the squeeze?
Take a look at the PC Board after the latest PC loss to Georgetown
Pitino and Ricky Jr are popular topics right now with a number of posters.

URI took a chance on Jim Harrick. That decision had risk associated with it and not everyone was on board at the time
Personally I was for Pitino at the time of Hurley’s departure as was 208. Majority here were vehemently against hiring Pitino. I’m guessing there were others who would have wanted Pitino so I apologize if I don’t remember who. Those against were and are very much against.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Take a look at the PC Board after the latest PC loss to Georgetown
Pitino and Ricky Jr are popular topics right now with a number of posters.

URI took a chance on Jim Harrick. That decision had risk associated with it and not everyone was on board at the time
Personally I was for Pitino at the time of Hurley’s departure as was 208. Majority here were vehemently against hiring Pitino. I’m guessing there were others who would have wanted Pitino so I apologize if I don’t remember who. Those against were and are very much against.
I would also take my chances that we wouldn’t be on probation after a Pitino hire , sometimes u just have to take a chance
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes.
Yep
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
I'll always take short term success, I might be in the minority with that though.

Look at the Raptors with Kawhi. Traded for him knowing it was 99.9% a one year rental, but ended up winning the title.

If Pitino was here for 2/3 years and gave us multiple tourney appearances along with one Sweet 16, I gladly would have signed up for that.
I would have been up for that (same for Harrick or any other sketchy coach - though Harrick's sketchiness was more from his time at Georgia and not nearly as toxic when URI hired him than Pitino was 3 years ago). I would have been all in on Pitino as long as he didn't put us in purgatory. But it doesn't matter what any of us think. It's what Dooley thought at the time and it was a no go from him.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No to Rick Pitino. No self respecting school would hire him given all his known transgressions.
2 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Iona knocked off #1 Siena last night.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You never know Pitino at his age just may want to coach another few years at Iona and then call it a career ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bump for PMMM
0 x