1/12 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 1/12 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Leggett's efficiency numbers were probably higher last year because, well, Fatts was the one driving to the hoop and shooting (poorly). Now that he's (arguably) the dribble-drive guy for URI, his efficiency has gone down. I'm not sure if this is a matter of him needing to adjust and get used to a new role, and his numbers will improve, or if he's kind of miscast in his current role. It's the kind of "growing pain" you typically let a sophomore player try to work through, though.

That being said... I hope we're bringing in at least one more perimeter player who can get to the rim. Chance has been described as more of a 3-point shooter, which we also need, but it could get ugly going forward if we're solely relying on Leggett as an attacking guard.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Transfer Portal will be loaded with candidates
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Leggett's efficiency numbers were probably higher last year because, well, Fatts was the one driving to the hoop and shooting (poorly). Now that he's (arguably) the dribble-drive guy for URI, his efficiency has gone down. I'm not sure if this is a matter of him needing to adjust and get used to a new role, and his numbers will improve, or if he's kind of miscast in his current role. It's the kind of "growing pain" you typically let a sophomore player try to work through, though.

That being said... I hope we're bringing in at least one more perimeter player who can get to the rim. Chance has been described as more of a 3-point shooter, which we also need, but it could get ugly going forward if we're solely relying on Leggett as an attacking guard.

Yup.. That is my big worry for next year. We lose Shep, EA, and most likely Walker. We bring in Chance, who does nothing but shoot. He does shoot it extremely well, but I don't see him drive much in the games I've watched. I do think Betrand can create a little. He can't attack the rim like Ish,` but he's probably one of our better Iso players.

I'm not sure Cox can land the type of player we would need.. If the season ended today, why would an immediate impact player come to a mid-level A10 team trending downwards. But we'll need to see how the season finishes first.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ish seems like he is still is figuring out how he gets his points at this level. The bull in a china shop into the trees isn't going to work long term. He needs to add a floater or two step landing in the lane and then try to make an offensive move. He got by going inside in high school ranks by being stronger but that won't work even at A10 level. He needs to have his perimeter game open up lanes for his driving ability. He is reluctant to shoot from the outside and that will change with more confidence and more makes.

However much he struggled last night no one is mentioning numerous winning plays he made...the charge he took (we barely ever take charges anymore, where is Stan Robinson), he single handedly pressed St Joes and forced them to throw it out of bounds a couple times, he was always given the responsibility of covering Jordan Hall their best player and did a fine job. Ish needs more confidence not less playing time, he has to be a part of our best 6-7 guys for this team to reach their ceiling.
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Ish seems like he is still is figuring out how he gets his points at this level. The bull in a china shop into the trees isn't going to work long term. He needs to add a floater or two step landing in the lane and then try to make an offensive move. He got by going inside in high school ranks by being stronger but that won't work even at A10 level. He needs to have his perimeter game open up lanes for his driving ability. He is reluctant to shoot from the outside and that will change with more confidence and more makes.

However much he struggled last night no one is mentioning numerous winning plays he made...the charge he took (we barely ever take charges anymore, where is Stan Robinson), he single handedly pressed St Joes and forced them to throw it out of bounds a couple times, he was always given the responsibility of covering Jordan Hall their best player and did a fine job. Ish needs more confidence not less playing time, he has to be a part of our best 6-7 guys for this team to reach their ceiling.
Excellent post. Ish did put forth a great defensive effort against the Hawks, but his offensive effort was especially bad. His shot selection is not great and I don't think he has the talent to put in shots via the acrobatic moves he often attempts. His outside shooting is on a par percentage wise with Shep, but he makes half as many attempts, As you said, he probably lacks confidence . While not really bad, Leggett has to improve his FT shooting which is slightly below the team average and guards should shoot FTs at a higher average. In this respect that I have a beef with Thomas whose FT and trey shooting is bad. As a guard, if you can't hit consistently an uncontested measured shot with no time pressure from 15 feet, how do expect to hit a shot from further out under all kinds of pressure. I love his playmaking and his assists, but he has to show more shooting versatility.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am just happy that Cox was finally able to win an A-10 league opener. Two of the previous three Ryan Center openers were especially poor efforts as Rhody was really never in the games with GMU and Richmond.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Antwan Walker is now 10-18 from three this year and shooting a blistering 67% from the field. Me thinks he needs more shots.
I'd love more shots/PT for both him and Martin. Martin was a +17 last night, Walker was +13. No one else was better than +8.
Walker's high percentage is the result of taking open shots and not forcing his shot. Walker should not hesitate to take these shots but it is a mistake to think that his high percentage will continue if he is expected to shoot against pressure.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Attendance was 3597. This is the second smallest crowd for a A-10 home opener in the history of the Ryan Center. Only La Salle in 2007 was worse at 3,057.
Just for some comparison around the A-10:

St Bonaventure, a veteran NCAA team that was overwhelmingly picked to win the A-10 this season and was earlier ranked for weeks, had their league opener last night hosting VCU. The Bonnies drew 3,512 to the Friday night tilt that was aired on ESPN2. SBU, through seven home games played thus far is averaging 3,846 for its attendance.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Have not posted in awhile but have read all posts, except Covid. I like what McRam has to say. A couple of weeks ago he made 2 good points- taking charges and playing Malik and walker. Apple picked up on this today. If you block a shot there is no guarantee you get possession. If you take a charge you do get possession and in some cases force an opponent to sit which could change a game around. Martin is a team
first warrior. Rotate the twins with him and find a spot for Walker. We have 8 good players with no real stars. Cox needs to find minutes for the hot hand ie. Thomas in the first half on Wednesday. Best Umass!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago Attendance was 3597. This is the second smallest crowd for a A-10 home opener in the history of the Ryan Center. Only La Salle in 2007 was worse at 3,057.
Just for some comparison around the A-10:

St Bonaventure, a veteran NCAA team that was overwhelmingly picked to win the A-10 this season and was earlier ranked for weeks, had their league opener last night hosting VCU. The Bonnies drew 3,512 to the Friday night tilt that was aired on ESPN2. SBU, through seven home games played thus far is averaging 3,846 for its attendance.
Attendance is down all over the place - for obvious reasons (Covid fear, mask mandates, general uneasiness by some to be in large indoor gatherings, etc.). It’s not just a URI thing. Add on top of that a ho hum season to date and that’s where we are. But if you want to see the bottom look no further than our opponent today.
1 x