David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 72, I bed to differ about Archie.

Of course, URI would have to make the necessary commitments program wise, along with a major salary increase from what they're paying Cox.

Doubt it would happen, but again, is URI serious about being top of the A10, and what it will take to get there?

So far, there;s nothing to indicate they are.
Archie was making $3M+ at IU.
URI offered Hurley $2M
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..URI is always gonna behind the 8 ball when it comes to attracting and retaining high level coaches…….we are reactive, often to late……,not proactive…….BBR…….bargain basement Rhody…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..URI is always gonna behind the 8 ball when it comes to attracting and retaining high level coaches…….we are reactive, often to late……,not proactive…….BBR…….bargain basement Rhody…….
I agree. If we are paying Cox $2M a year, I don't think he is being called the next Frank Keaney.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..URI is always gonna behind the 8 ball when it comes to attracting and retaining high level coaches…….we are reactive, often to late……,not proactive…….BBR…….bargain basement Rhody…….
I agree. If we are paying Cox $2M a year, I don't think he is being called the next Frank Keaney.

Nobody whatsoever compared him to Frank Keaney as an actual basketball coach, that narrative needs to end.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Maybe you missed it?

download/file.php?id=2571&mode=view
Nope, saw that.

That is simply stating a statistic, a very skewed one at that. Different era, different time, different everything.

Absolutely nobody thinks he’s on a level of Frank Keaney, is the next Frank Keaney, etc.

You choosing to actually think people are calling him the next Keaney is the exact reason I say people here get pissed off for the sake of getting pissed off.

I saw that post and 3 second after, didn’t think twice about it.

You’re making something up for the sole reason of wanting to be pissed off.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Maybe you missed it?

download/file.php?id=2571&mode=view
Nope, saw that.

That is simply stating a statistic, a very skewed one at that. Different era, different time, different everything.

Absolutely nobody thinks he’s on a level of Frank Keaney, is the next Frank Keaney, etc.

You choosing to actually think people are calling him the next Keaney is the exact reason I say people here get pissed off for the sake of getting pissed off.

I saw that post and 3 second after, didn’t think twice about it.

You’re making something up for the sole reason of wanting to be pissed off.
Umm, URI Athletics made a specific post comparing Cox to Keaney. I responded earlier he should be compared to Penders or Harrick. But there is no mistake, URI made the comparison to Keaney.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Make the phone call

And I’ll bring up some real pizza from new Haven to seal the deal

Make the call

I don’t need to see anymore to see COX blows
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….to I recall that once Al Skinner said he wanted be the black Frank Keaney……..?.I will get beat upon for that one…….but did he make some reference to that……? Related comments Skinner made upon his leaving URI……
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't take that comparison seriously when it comes to Cox's performance...nobody else should either.

As for URI offering Hurley 2 million a year, about half of that would have been paid by boosters/donors.

That could happen again, if URI were to hire the "right" coach.

Miller is going to take a lower level job somewhere, he won't be making 3 mil a year again anytime soon.

It would probably take close to 2 mil a year to get him though.

But he's a proven winner at our level. That's what we need.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I don't take that comparison seriously when it comes to Cox's performance...nobody else should either.

As for URI offering Hurley 2 million a year, about half of that would have been paid by boosters/donors.

That could happen again, if URI were to hire the "right" coach.

Miller is going to take a lower level job somewhere, he won't be making 3 mil a year again anytime soon.

It would probably take close to 2 mil a year to get him though.

But he's a proven winner at our level. That's what we need.
Take it seriously? Bone it was a clown show post. Why would they ever even post that?
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Take it seriously? Bone it was a clown show post. Why would they ever even post that?
The answer is obvious. Cox is going nowhere soon.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

A legit fear... Let's say they finish a couple games over .500 in conference and win a game in the A10T...and they bring him back (can totally see that happening). What do you think that'll do for season ticket sales?
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

A legit fear... Let's say they finish a couple games over .500 in conference and win a game in the A10T...and they bring him back (can totally see that happening). What do you think that'll do for season ticket sales?
Don’t worry. We can implement parking fees.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

……or seat licenses…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

……or seat licenses…….
Up the price of beer and concessions too.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Of course, URI would have to make the necessary commitments program wise, along with a major salary increase from what they're paying Cox.

Doubt it would happen, but again, is URI serious about being top of the A10, and what it will take to get there?

I would think Archie is taking a substantial pay cut wherever he ends up coaching next.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

I would think Archie is taking a substantial pay cut wherever he ends up coaching next.
He could always just use us as a stepping stone

I'll take that over the bs we have now

He knows he can win in this league and with the right coach this program can win the A-10.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……and definitely not Pier Pizza…….maybe a go-fund-me…….
hahah Pier is so expensive!
They're donzo. Closed their doors last month.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
Other people already talked about how bad of a look this is, but this is an ongoing issue since the middle of last year. The second UMass game Walker went off for 26 points and 14 rebounds in 24 minutes and we were all dumbfounded about why Walker played that little. Morey asked Cox after the game and Cox was offended someone would dare ask about minute distribution
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago Why has McKillop beaten Cox so much… he’s a way better coach. Are his players better, I don’t think so but he is a much better coach and that makes a huge difference. Imagine what a good coach could do with the players Cox collected. Sorry this is over please Thorr move on this is done.
I think one of the problems here is actually the same reason why we do so much better against VCU then you'd expect over the same time period. We prioritize athleticism like VCU while McKillop prioritizes shooting and basketball IQ. We're one of the few teams in conference that can keep up with VCU's athleticism and because of that we've been more successful against them than probably anyone else over that time. The downside is that in close matchups with Davidson their superior shooting and basketball IQ normally help them make the necessary plays at the end to pull out victories. And that doesn't even get into their superior coaching
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago Why has McKillop beaten Cox so much… he’s a way better coach. Are his players better, I don’t think so but he is a much better coach and that makes a huge difference. Imagine what a good coach could do with the players Cox collected. Sorry this is over please Thorr move on this is done.
I think one of the problems here is actually the same reason why we do so much better against VCU then you'd expect over the same time period. We prioritize athleticism like VCU while McKillop prioritizes shooting and basketball IQ. We're one of the few teams in conference that can keep up with VCU's athleticism and because of that we've been more successful against them than probably anyone else over that time. The downside is that in close matchups with Davidson their superior shooting and basketball IQ normally help them make the necessary plays at the end to pull out victories. And that doesn't even get into their superior coaching
Agree with you RR2, but doesn't it say something positive about this team that they played Davidson on the road to the wire?
Doesn't it say we can play with anyone in the A10 if we can take Davidson to the final seconds?

Lee doesn't make that play at the end against Leggett and we likely win outright. Lee is an early leading candidate for POY in the A10 - that play is an example of why.

I was far more encouraged by the effort at Davidson than discouraged.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Agree with you RR2, but doesn't it say something positive about this team that they played Davidson on the road to the wire?
Doesn't it say we can play with anyone in the A10 if we can take Davidson to the final seconds?

Lee doesn't make that play at the end against Leggett and we likely win outright. Lee is an early leading candidate for POY in the A10 - that play is an example of why.

Of course, had we made more than zero field goals in the last 6:48 we would have won as well.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: The Cox-Keaney comparison, and other statistics whipped up by URI, it's kind of the job of marketing to do that. If URI was 0-13 right now, they'd still have to fill up the program and the Twitter account with *something* positive. I wouldn't take any information disseminated that way as an endorsement or an indictment of Cox. It's advertising.

re: Walker's lack of minutes, I kind of wonder if he's kind of suffering from the eye test vs. looking at his stats. It's not unusual for power forwards who are efficient but not incredible to be overlooked in the NBA, for example - David West, Paul Milsap, that type of player is often overlooked. Obviously, Walker isn't THAT kind of a talent. But he's quietly very effective, with his shooting and his passing leading to great offense as of late.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago re: The Cox-Keaney comparison, and other statistics whipped up by URI, it's kind of the job of marketing to do that. If URI was 0-13 right now, they'd still have to fill up the program and the Twitter account with *something* positive. I wouldn't take any information disseminated that way as an endorsement or an indictment of Cox. It's advertising.

re: Walker's lack of minutes, I kind of wonder if he's kind of suffering from the eye test vs. looking at his stats. It's not unusual for power forwards who are efficient but not incredible to be overlooked in the NBA, for example - David West, Paul Milsap, that type of player is often overlooked. Obviously, Walker isn't THAT kind of a talent. But he's quietly very effective, with his shooting and his passing leading to great offense as of late.
Speaking of marketing, I just got an email saying that tickets for tomorrow night's game are limited and traffic will be heavy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't think it says anything about this team for the remainder of the season one way or the other that we kept the Davidson game close. That we could play Davidson on the road close isn't a surprise, we have as much, or more talent than they do. This is a team that lacks discipline and plays up or down to their competition for the most part. If this was a baseline performance we could count on the remainder of the season, I'd agree, but as we've seen under Cox his entire time here, the team is just as likely to lay an egg tomorrow against KenPom #146 St. Joe's as they are to beat them handily like they probably should be able to do.

This team has enough talent in place to be good, at least top half of the A10 good for whatever that is worth with the conference the way it is. The problem is in each one of Cox' first three years the talent in place that individual season was enough that we should have performed better than we did in that particular season. To me, we've underachieved all three years Cox has been here, and there's no indication that things have changed in that regard this year. We still don't put our players in the best roles possible, playing time is seemingly given out based more on recruiting pitches than in game action, we don't give consistent effort either within the same game or from one game to the next, we continue to make many of the same unforced errors over and over again. There's been no growth from this program since day 1 of the Cox era
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago re: The Cox-Keaney comparison, and other statistics whipped up by URI, it's kind of the job of marketing to do that. If URI was 0-13 right now, they'd still have to fill up the program and the Twitter account with *something* positive. I wouldn't take any information disseminated that way as an endorsement or an indictment of Cox. It's advertising.

Speaking of marketing, I just got an email saying that tickets for tomorrow night's game are limited and traffic will be heavy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

…….time for parking fees…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Speaking of marketing, I just got an email saying that tickets for tomorrow night's game are limited HEAVY and traffic will be heavy LIMITED. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FIFY :D
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of marketing, I just got an email saying that tickets for tomorrow night's game are limited HEAVY and traffic will be heavy LIMITED. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FIFY :D
Are we going back to the old ticketing method of carved stones? :lol:
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So, doesn’t look like any public consequence for Mitchell brother who got the tech late in the Davidson game.

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago So, doesn’t look like any public consequence for Mitchell brother who got the tech late in the Davidson game.

Hey, a promise is a promise! Amirite?
2 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

If we could get Archie Miller we should be going ass over tea kettle to get him. I would come up with what little I have to chip in.
2 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

make the call

we are going nowhere but the obligatory "once in awhile to the NCAA" (and i am being generous) w coach suxAlot
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want him gone but let him finish the season
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

not if you can land a top coach with experience now before the market gets bigger for that coach

thats my opinion

long shot yes, but i'd be kicking those tires
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago not if you can land a top coach with experience now before the market gets bigger for that coach

thats my opinion

long shot yes, but i'd be kicking those tires
I'm drawing a blank but can you name the last time a coach was fired in the middle of the season and the big fish replacement was hired in the middle season? I can't.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's no chance in hell URI fires Cox before the end of this season.

He may not be a very good coach, but he's not Jerry D either.

But I will say, if he's going to be fired at the end of this season, Thorr needs to not dick around and wait too long to announce it.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago There's no chance in hell URI fires Cox before the end of this season.

But I will say, if he's going to be fired at the end of this season, Thorr needs to not dick around and wait too long to announce it.
This is correct - absolutely no shot he is fired mid-season absent some major scandal (which is highly unlikely given what we know about him as a person publicly).

He is 1-1 in the A10 with a close loss at one of the top teams in the league this year. They lost 1 extra game in non-conference that I wasn’t expecting but otherwise they are on a track to be what I thought they could (a top 6 A10 team). The season is still on track, team is improving - yes there are still issues but this team is playing better then last year.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..the improvements will be measured in small bits and pieces…….like are we better than last year…..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..the improvements will be measured in small bits and pieces…….like are we better than last year…..
If that was truly the case your are basically saying that he stays.

If he was staying based on being a little bit better than last year then I'd guess that a contract extension and pay increase would have been already put into place - it wasn't
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago There's no chance in hell URI fires Cox before the end of this season.

Thorr is solid AD…I trust that he is well aware his premiere programs coach has only one year left on his deal and already has a short list of candidates, is figuring out the potential 1 year buyout financing, and once he decides he will pull the trigger will start sending out feelers to candidates before Cox’s firing is announced. But until it is announced he is gonna act nothing but supportive publicly
4 x
Clapton is God
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Let’s stop this nonsense

Coach suxAlot .. just sux

give me Archie’s number - I’ll call him myself and fire cox tomorrow

THING BIG - I DO
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..the improvements will be measured in small bits and pieces…….like are we better than last year…..

If he was staying based on being a little bit better than last year then I'd guess that a contract extension and pay increase would have been already put into place - it wasn't
Season is not over, still time to go either way. At this point with 3 losses where we lost the lead late in the second half and one good spanking by a top 25 level team we are not in total collapse mode. I don’t hate that we haven’t made a long term decision yet on Cox. I think as a fan that is about as much as we can ask for, make the guy prove he has something here in year 4.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Season is not over, still time to go either way. At this point with 3 losses where we lost the lead late in the second half and one good spanking by a top 25 level team we are not in total collapse mode. I don’t hate that we haven’t made a long term decision yet on Cox. I think as a fan that is about as much as we can ask for, make the guy prove he has something here in year 4.
Does it really sound or feel like being a “4 loss team” is good right now?

And to the other point about “are we better than last year” ummm I really don’t think that should be true measuring stick.

Where are we compared to FOUR YEARS ago? What has improved? What’s the direction of the program? Based on the downward trend, would anyone be excited by increased win totals in the easiest schedule in a decade+??

The only ranked team…the only team with NCAA at-large aspirations on our schedule was the only fixed game we have year in/year out.

Listen, you’re not firing Cox mid season…we’re a small time, small minded program as it is…but we would be the butt of every joke to pull that this year. Whatever is going to happen in the off-season the blueprints are probably already done and there have been feelers put out, especially if it’s an unemployed coach who’s going to be the next guy.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..IDK, of course non of us do, but I have to think that the Thor, and institutional criteria for the evaluation of the coach is different than the fans……the fans seems to be centered on dancing or walk the plank, and sprinkle in some of a comparison of the current program to the level to the recent past…….maybe the admin takes a longer view of right track/wrong track and incremental improvements toward the goal………I am not so sure the goal or the “bar” is any longer winning championships in terms of the annual evaluation of the coach…….look, I agree a change in coach is needed but I just don’t see it happening after this season, maybe I am just setting myself for the disappointment with some spin and babble from Thor that we are staying the course, if improvement in record over last year then maybe contract extension…….again, IDK…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I truly believe, based on everything I've seen and heard since Cox took over, that he could coach here for 20 years and not make the NCAA tourney once.

Just like Baron, he would have years where we would be better than others, but not good enough to make it.

Even Baron made 5 NIT'S in 11 years. Cox would not do even that.

Whether it's not enough talent, or not enough coaching, or a combination of the two, it's just not enough, period.

If that's what Thorr wants, then that's what he'll get if he extends Cox.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I truly believe, based on everything I've seen and heard since Cox took over, that he could coach here for 20 years and not make the NCAA tourney once.

Just like Baron, he would have years where we would be better than others, but not good enough to make it.

Whether it's not enough talent, or not enough coaching, or a combination of the two, it's just not enough, period.

There is approximately a 0.0000000% chance Cox could be here for 20 years with no NCAAs, and you don’t actually believe that for a second.

You definitely wish that though, for the sole purpose of being able to whine and complain day in and day out.

People can get pissed at me all they want for calling people out on posts, but when I see posts that are so ridiculous, I’m saying something every damn time.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its surely a gamble. I'm personally not ready to cut bait with the ounce of hope I have that this coach will figure it out with this talent and ride a huge momentum wave into March. Conference play wise, we played the top Dog to the last second and defeated a solid St Joes squad. I need a few more games to see what this team can really do.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I truly believe, based on everything I've seen and heard since Cox took over, that he could coach here for 20 years and not make the NCAA tourney once.

There is approximately a 0.0000000% chance Cox could be here for 20 years with no NCAAs, and you don’t actually believe that for a second.

You definitely wish that though, for the sole purpose of being able to whine and complain day in and day out.

People can get pissed at me all they want for calling people out on posts, but when I see posts that are so ridiculous, I’m saying something every damn time.
To be clear Rhody 15, are you arguing that if Cox coached 20 years here that he would make at least one tournament or that Cox wouldn't be allowed to coach here 20 years without making it?
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Hasn't developed players.
Hasn't retained high end talent(Toppin/Martin)
Hasn't made tournament.
Team hasn't improved.
Interest and attendance is down.
Other than that things are great....
5 x