Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Exactly
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Ah, yes..."the checks"... Those checks have had (and are still having) as negative of an effect on our economy as anything in recent memory.
And now they are talking about sending more checks out
And then wonder why rejoice in the fact that we can't get anyone to go to work. Brilliant.
And then wonder why rejoice in the fact that we can't get the ships unloaded in Long Beach because people have ordered even more stuff with their Covid checks. Hire more supply chain consultants to figure it out - Mayor Pete is on it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

And then wonder why rejoice in the fact that we can't get anyone to go to work. Brilliant.
And then wonder why rejoice in the fact that we can't get the ships unloaded in Long Beach because people have ordered even more stuff with their Covid checks. Hire more supply chain consultants to figure it out - Mayor Pete is on it.
Hard to tell if people are actually in on it or not. That would imply coordination. What we have seems as much like random, disconnected bad decisions...
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Clown show
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I hate to break up the disinformation party, but that 75% number is among vaccinated people. The CDC Director was speaking about the effectiveness of the vaccines and stating that few vaccinated people are dying unless they have multiple comorbidities.

This is the study they were referring to. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/ ... mm7101a4_w

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled whining, don't let the truth get in your way! :lol:
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So it’s actually 78% not 75%

She was not clear on the vaccination part when I watched her interview and clearly reading reviews of her talking points it wasn’t just the group of us on KB that were confused.

So why are vaccinated people required to wear masks again? And all kids in school 8 hours per day?

And we are talking of more trillions of dollars I guess because of the unvaccinated?

Seems like a lot of fearmongering has been going on with the govt and media towards the vaccinated.

I must be missing something.

Among 1,228,664 persons who completed primary vaccination during December 2020–October 2021, severe COVID-19–associated outcomes (0.015%) or death (0.0033%) were rare. Risk factors for severe outcomes included age ≥65 years, immunosuppressed, and six other underlying conditions. All persons with severe outcomes had at least one risk factor; 78% of persons who died had at least four.

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I hate to break up the disinformation party, but that 75% number is among vaccinated people. The CDC Director was speaking about the effectiveness of the vaccines and stating that few vaccinated people are dying unless they have multiple comorbidities.

This is the study they were referring to. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/ ... mm7101a4_w

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled whining, don't let the truth get in your way! :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago So it’s actually 78% not 75%

She was not clear on the vaccination part when I watched her interview and clearly reading reviews of her talking points it wasn’t just the group of us on KB that were confused.

So why are vaccinated people required to wear masks again? And all kids in school 8 hours per day?

And we are talking of more trillions of dollars I guess because of the unvaccinated?

Seems like a lot of fearmongering has been going on with the govt and media towards the vaccinated.

Among 1,228,664 persons who completed primary vaccination during December 2020–October 2021, severe COVID-19–associated outcomes (0.015%) or death (0.0033%) were rare. Risk factors for severe outcomes included age ≥65 years, immunosuppressed, and six other underlying conditions. All persons with severe outcomes had at least one risk factor; 78% of persons who died had at least four.

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I hate to break up the disinformation party, but that 75% number is among vaccinated people. The CDC Director was speaking about the effectiveness of the vaccines and stating that few vaccinated people are dying unless they have multiple comorbidities.

Clarity...is their enemy.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You’ve been in favor of everyone wearing masks in The Ryan Center, shunned The Dunk and other arenas for not having a mask mandate, called the Rhody PC game a super spreader event, now you’re questioning the mask mandate?
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

You’ve been in favor of everyone wearing masks in The Ryan Center, shunned The Dunk and other arenas for not having a mask mandate, called the Rhody PC game a super spreader event, now you’re questioning the mask mandate?
Sure. Do you even read the news? Or have trouble with reading comprehension? Or both?

It’s been in the news last week that masks are ineffective with Omicron which is now 95% of cases in US. Only the N95 is recommended for Omicron.

In addition latest data from Dr Walensky says 78% of deaths are from people with 4 or more comorbidities.

As for masks at URI and no masks at Dunkin Donuts center that represents the inconsistency of the government in rules. Now with RI being #1 in new Covid cases the Governor and Medical Experts have implemented mask wearing at the dunk. Better late than never but if not the N95 seems too little too late.

Good news is your Dunkin Donuts center is masked now, a little late after your PC- URI Superspreader Unmasked event that helped catapult RI to #1 in new cases among all 50 states.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You don't have to go from Providence to Kingston for that inconsistency...I saw it in 4 stores in the same neighborhood yesterday. Apparently, no medical experts in this area.

Just curious, are the med experts that now require masks at the dunk the same ones saying they're not effective? Or, are those different experts?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sure. Do you even read the news? Or have trouble with reading comprehension? Or both?

It’s been in the news last week that masks are ineffective with Omicron which is now 95% of cases in US. Only the N95 is recommended for Omicron.

In addition latest data from Dr Walensky says 78% of deaths are from people with 4 or more comorbidities.

As for masks at URI and no masks at Dunkin Donuts center that represents the inconsistency of the government in rules. Now with RI being #1 in new Covid cases the Governor and Medical Experts have implemented mask wearing at the dunk. Better late than never but if not the N95 seems too little too late.

Good news is your Dunkin Donuts center is masked now, a little late after your PC- URI Superspreader Unmasked event that helped catapult RI to #1 in new cases among all 50 states.

You are absolute hilarious.

Newsflash, omicron is nothing more than a very bad cold, much more milder than Delta. That’s in the news, so have you seen that? Or just ignoring that?

Continuing to say I struggle with reading comprehension is truly a gem.

Whatever you think my reading comprehion is, your basketball knowledge is 10X below that.

You believe if there’s any contact in the game of basketball, a foul needs to be called, sounding like a 7 year old in a rec league.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m not seeing too many masks at this Georgia Alabama post game celebration

Maybe the same experts from the Dunk running the Indianapolis championship game.

I’m not much of an expert on the experts
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

dr Anthony FRAUDCI

Gain of function

Blood on hands
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago dr Anthony FRAUDCI

Gain of function

Blood on hands
You are shooting at the messenger.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You are absolute hilarious.
Thank you

Newsflash, omicron is nothing more than a very bad cold, much more milder than Delta. That’s in the news, so have you seen that? Or just ignoring that?
Yes. Seen it. In fact if you look back in this thread I reported that back in this thread based on South Africa early reports. Look back and you’ll see that I was told it’s too early to base on South Africa plus they are not the same vax rate as US.
So we knew (or world news knew) cases were not as severe early on.
Not sure why US said we were surprised by this Variant and that’s why we didn’t have enough tests and were not ready for it.

Continuing to say I struggle with reading comprehension is truly a gem.
If you read back on this thread you can see my South Africa comments. Maybe you read read them and didn’t comprehend them?

Whatever you think my reading comprehion is, your basketball knowledge is 10X below that.
That’s a lot.

You believe if there’s any contact in the game of basketball, a foul needs to be called, sounding like a 7 year old in a rec league.
Again, reading comprehension. What I said was that if a player is shooting and there is physical contact with the shooter then that is a foul. Even if I hit the players off hand and he is releasing the ball with his right hand then that is a foul.
Nowhere did I say any physical contact in a basketball game is a foul.
But then my basketball knowledge is 10x below your reading comprehension so there’s that.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

so wait. . the WINTER OF DEATH turned out to be incorrect and these are the people we should be trusting ?

i am confused

actually i am not confused..

that FRAUDCI is a fraud
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No
The winter of death has not turned out to be incorrect.
Winter goes til March 21. Lots of winter left
We have tests coming soon. You can order them free from the government ship right to your house.
Omicron caught us by surprise. Nobody saw it coming.
It’s simple folks.
Mask up.
No confusion.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramster,

I literally quoted what you said, so after you realized how wrong you were, you must've gone back and edited it.

It still blows my mind and you continue to think if there is contact on a shooter, it needs to automatically be a foul.

That is, and will continue to be, 100% wrong.

A defender has the right to verticality, meaning if he jumps directly straight up (like Lee did) then there is no foul, no matter if there is contact.

This is from an article from 2016/2017 describing verticaility.

"Now, so long as the defender maintains verticality (meaning he jumps straight up and holds his arms straight up in an attempt to block a shot), that defender will not be called for a blocking foul even if he is inside the restricted area. This interpretation effectively prevents an offensive player from picking up a cheap foul by leaning into a shot blocker who leapt from inside the restricted arc."

The link is below to the full article.

https://www.teamspeedkills.com/2016/10/ ... ns-lessons

Comprehend that.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Ramster,

I literally quoted what you said, so after you realized how wrong you were, you must've gone back and edited it.

??????
I edited nothing

It still blows my mind and you continue to think if there is contact on a shooter, it needs to automatically be a foul.

That is, and will continue to be, 100% wrong.

A defender has the right to verticality, meaning if he jumps directly straight up (like Lee did) then there is no foul, no matter if there is contact.

This is from an article from 2016/2017 describing verticaility.

"Now, so long as the defender maintains verticality (meaning he jumps straight up and holds his arms straight up in an attempt to block a shot), that defender will not be called for a blocking foul even if he is inside the restricted area. This interpretation effectively prevents an offensive player from picking up a cheap foul by leaning into a shot blocker who leapt from inside the restricted arc."

The link is below to the full article.

https://www.teamspeedkills.com/2016/10/ ... ns-lessons

Comprehend that.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Receipts don’t lie.

You edited it twice.

Anything else?
Attachments
1BB5DE29-C564-4289-A49F-9FD8503F8580.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Receipts don’t lie.

You edited it twice.

Anything else?
That doesn’t mean I changed what was meant. Maybe I misspelled a word I don’t know.

But my opinion has not changed

Plus my discussion was with PMMM , not with you.

So simply my view:

Lee was not going straight up but for sake of argument let’s say Lee was going straight up
Lee slipped off the man he was guarding in the corner and slid into the red circle. Lee was not covering Leggett.
Leggett beat his man to the hoop starting his drive from the 3P line
Lee moved into the circle
Lee jumped
Lee did not give Leggett room to land and Leggett was airborne
Contact was made between Leggett and Lee
The contact contributed to Leggett missing the shot

No foul was called.

Cox went berserk and Tech could have been called on him
Announcers said Tech was on Makhi Mitchell who was on the bench. Announcers criticized and questioned Makhi’s basketball IQ
Media said the Tech was on Makhi
KB posters criticize Makhi’s Technical foul and talked bad about him and said Cox needs to do something as no player should get a bench Tech and blow the game
Local media on Twitter criticized Makhi

Then turns out Tech was on Makhel
Box score revealed that

Many people were wrong on the Tech and their commentary about Makhi. It happens.

Going to the Davidson board and reading all comments in 10 pages they know these Refs. Many felt the game was poorly officiated. Some just had an off game.

I’d say it was a foul on Lee. He got in the red circle late, jumped and body contact occurred with Leggett who missed the shot. To me that’s a foul. Has to be in Leggett or Lee and I thought Lee.

But the Ref ended the game calling a Technical Foul. Game over. Loyer to the line for 4 shots.

Hate to see a game end with the Refs deciding the winner on the road.

If Makhel didn’t get the Tech Cox would have as announcers were saying Cox was livid. I don’t blame him.

On to winning the A10 Auto Bid.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Do we have enough talent to win the auto bid ramster?

I would say maybe.

Do we have the right coach to win the auto bid?

Not a chance.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

992EF357-14DC-4A2F-B4EB-99340533A466.jpeg
How the hell is this not straight up?? What are you looking at ?? I mean it’s not even close…
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago 992EF357-14DC-4A2F-B4EB-99340533A466.jpeg

How the hell is this not straight up?? What are you looking at ?? I mean it’s not even close…
Yep. Straight up in the picture and Lee is about 10 inches off the ground.

In the picture blown up it looks like quite a bit of contact between Leggett and Lee and plus #13 Jones looks like he is hacking Leggett's arm.

Meanwhile,

I think all this basketball talk needs to be moved off this thread. Can't have Covid in any other threads so basketball should not be in the Covid thread.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

In the picture blown up it looks like quite a bit of contact between Leggett and Lee and plus #13 Jones looks like he is hacking Leggett's arm.

Meanwhile,

I think all this basketball talk needs to be moved off this thread. Can't have Covid in any other threads so basketball should not be in the Covid thread.
YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BE OFF THE GROUND IF YOU ARE STRAIGHT UP.

VERTICALITY.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Meanwhile,

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BE OFF THE GROUND IF YOU ARE STRAIGHT UP.

VERTICALITY.
Yep

Please continue on basketball threads. This is covid.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

CUT BAIT !

oopps.. wrong thread
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago CUT BAIT !

oopps.. wrong thread
wrong thread unless you are referring to the bait as Dr Fauci
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ah, yes..."the checks"... Those checks have had (and are still having) as negative of an effect on our economy as anything in recent memory.
Well, that can be debatable. A lot of people who worked in the service industry moved on. Can you blame them? Waiting on people is THE WORST job.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago CUT BAIT !

oopps.. wrong thread
wrong thread unless you are referring to the bait as Dr F
Dr FauXi needs to go away. I can't imagine still listening to him. :lol:
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Blue jays, Friars postponed tonight.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..increase attendance at future games……..give away inside the turnstiles Covid test kits…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago Blue jays, Friars postponed tonight.
I would love a documented case of a young, healthy athlete being hospitalized or seriously affected by Covid to justify these cancellations.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
I would love a documented case of a young, healthy athlete being hospitalized or seriously affected by Covid to justify these cancellations.
Science deny-er! :roll:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Eduardo Rodriguez?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Eduardo Rodriguez?
That was the early OG Covid...this is the Ohmygoshcron (a cold with a 'name' and a test)
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

I’m guessing that infecting your coaches or just as bad, your major donors might, might be an issue. Oh, and with the hospital beds and hallways full of patients and lack of staff, don’t get into a car accident or break your leg, have a heart attack , or anything you might be hospitalized for. It’s pretty ugly right now in health care.
Last edited by CaptainRon 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PC-Creighton cancelled 30 minutes before tipoff.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago PC-Creighton cancelled 30 minutes before tipoff.
Tip off was scheduled for 9pm edt.
I posted on the games of interest thread 5 hours ago it was cancelled

Captain Ron posted on this Covid thread about then too

The Covid is with the PC organization
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago I’m guessing that infecting your coaches or just as bad, your major donors might, might be an issue. Oh, and with the hospital beds and hallways full of patients and lack of staff, don’t get into a car accident or break your leg, have a heart attack , or anything you might be hospitalized for. It’s not pretty ugly right now in health care.
CaptainRon,

Doesn’t it seem the rules for cancelling are different?
How does Alabama vs Georgia take place with no issues and a sold out indoor arena?
NFl and NBA are not seeing the ineligility and cancellation that college basketball is seeing
Cancellations don’t seem consistent across conferences.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago I’m guessing that infecting your coaches or just as bad, your major donors might, might be an issue. Oh, and with the hospital beds and hallways full of patients and lack of staff, don’t get into a car accident or break your leg, have a heart attack , or anything you might be hospitalized for. It’s not pretty ugly right now in health care.
CaptainRon,

How does Alabama vs Georgia take place with no issues and a sold out indoor arena?
NFl and NBA are not seeing the ineligility and cancellation that college basketball is seeing
Not going to disagree. The rules are fluid apparently.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago
CaptainRon,

Not going to disagree. The rules are fluid apparently.
Fluid = random. Apparently.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Funny you mentioned it. My wife, who works in the hospital, told me that a young healthy (unvaccinated) person just had to be intubated yesterday. The place is basically a hot mess with COVID right now--kids and adults. She describes it like a war zone. I'm very grateful that people like us on the outside are able to be sheltered from the day-to-day stress on the current healthcare system and live with only minor inconveniences of things like delaying a sports game, for example.
8 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ram1019 wrote: 2 years ago
Funny you mentioned it. My wife, who works in the hospital, told me that a young healthy (unvaccinated) person just had to be intubated yesterday. The place is basically a hot mess with COVID right now--kids and adults. She describes it like a war zone. I'm very grateful that people like us on the outside are able to be sheltered from the day-to-day stress on the current healthcare system and live with only minor inconveniences of things like delaying a sports game, for example.
So one person. And considering the massive amount of data out there pointing to co-morbitities as a serious determining factor in Covid being a serious illness…I guess we would have to see their medical history.

Makes sense to sequester the 99.9% of other healthy individuals away from each other to protect the .01%, also driving down individual’s immune systems in the process.

And everyone of the players is vaccinated…I thought these things worked? Why did we all get them again?

It might be a “minor inconvenience” to you…but to kids at this level, and especially lower levels - sports are their lives, ticket to college, potentially the only thing keeping them off the streets or doing a litany of bad things they could be filling their time with besides sports.

This is insanity.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

this is blatantly misleading

i know top surgeons and nurses at 2 Yale Hospitals

this is not happening in CT

they are sending "covid/sniffles" patients home

"cases"
1 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

this is blatantly misleading

i know top surgeons and nurses at 2 Yale Hospitals

this is not happening in CT

they are sending "covid/sniffles" patients home

"cases"
Interesting, the head of Yale New Haven hospitals said in last weeks Courant;

"Very tired ICU nurse said to me, ‘I just wish the public could see what's going on here.' The ICU is full, all but two of the patients were COVID patients, all but one of them were unvaccinated," Dr. Balcezak said
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

missing the point

they are not being incubated

they are coming in and being sent home because they have the sniffles from omicron
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago missing the point

they are coming in and being sent home because they have the sniffles from omicron
I'm glad they're not being incubated. That maternity ward would be awfully crowded.
1 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago missing the point

Sorry, people don’t end up in intensive care for “sniffles”. Intensive care is for folks who are on vents and need 24 hour intensive care. Hence the name.
0 x