David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: David Cox

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Well Ramster, at least you backed off a little on your previous comments that they will "cut bait" with Cox if we don't win the A10T and get an auto bid to the NCAAT.

I am beginning to agree that we at least have a chance at winning the A10T, even though the odds aren't great.
Much depends on our conference record and seeding.
We have the depth and quality bench to handle tournament play in continuous days.
Also, the players and staff need to learn how to finish games against quality opponents.
Our last success at that was probably against Seton Hall last season.

My thinking hasn't changed that if we play well the next 17 games and have a decent A10T, Cox will probably get a short term (possibly 2 year) extension, which is not uncommon.
Of course, that doesn't mean he will necessarily coach out his contract.

Look it could be worse, imagine the Richmond fans.
The 2020 postseason is canceled, Mooney got a 2-year extension through April 2024.
They were picked by many to finish #2 in the A10 with their 4 returning seniors plus Burton and are now 10-6 (1-2 conference).
We need to be top 6 with this roster. With the schedule strength (or lack there of) this roster really should be a top 4 team in the league.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Well Ramster, at least you backed off a little on your previous comments that they will "cut bait" with Cox if we don't win the A10T and get an auto bid to the NCAAT.

I am beginning to agree that we at least have a chance at winning the A10T, even though the odds aren't great.
We have the depth and quality bench to handle tournament play in continuous days.
Also, the players and staff need to learn how to finish games against quality opponents.

My thinking hasn't changed that if we play well the next 17 games and have a decent A10T, Cox will probably get a short term (possibly 2 year) extension, which is not uncommon.

The 2020 postseason is canceled, Mooney got a 2-year extension through April 2024.
They were picked by many to finish #2 in the A10 with their 4 returning seniors plus Burton and are now 10-6 (1-2 conference).
We need to be top 6 with this roster. With the schedule strength (or lack there of) this roster really should be a top 4 team in the league.
We have several good players that just need to be consistent.

I think Walker is our only player capable of being a star and he is 7th in minutes.
He has the size, can stretch the floor, and is active in the paint, probably the most complete player on the team.

You also can't just dismiss VCU, Dayton, Davidson, SLU, Bonnies, Richmond, all capable of finishing ahead of us and possibly winning the A10T.

I think our conference is up for grabs and a crapshoot of who finishes on top.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

I think Walker is our only player capable of being a star and he is 7th in minutes.
He has the size, can stretch the floor, and is active in the paint, probably the most complete player on the team.

You also can't just dismiss VCU, Dayton, Davidson, SLU, Bonnies, Richmond, all capable of finishing ahead of us and possibly winning the A10T.

I am not dismissing those teams at all - we should beat out one of them at least by our weaker conference schedule.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am not dismissing those teams at all - we should beat out one of them at least by our weaker conference schedule.
True, which will probably get you an NIT bid.
That of course would be unacceptable to many posters here.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Davidson is an at large team right now, Ramster…I have no idea why you continue to repeat that this conference can only get 1 bid…
Very simple

It’s a 1 bid league as far as URI is concerned.

URI must win the A10

I don’t care about Davidson. If we beat Davidson in the A10 tournament and they get an at large I could care less.

For URI it’s win the Auto bid. Plain and simple.
Yes, I agree that URI has no chance at an at large... I don't care about Davidson either, but you have said for weeks that no A10 team could receive an at large bid which isn't true..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

True, which will probably get you an NIT bid.
That of course would be unacceptable to many posters here.
If we can play as we did against Davidson regularly we should beat most teams in the A10. Obviously we would need our coach to not make critical mistakes late but I'm very interested to see how we play against St. Joes. That's a game we should win but they aren't a cupcake like most of our schedule..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago “Through his first 100 games at Rhode Island, David Cox is 58-42. Only legendary Hall of Famer Frank Keaney won more in his first 100 games with the Rams. #GoRhody #Leadership” per the URI Men’s Basketball Instagram.
Awesome news! Now there will be two excuses why Cox will be here for several seasons to come with this bogus record and CoVID. How many of the 58 wins are quality wins over teams that stood out?
Cox is 3-12 against top 50 kenpom teams. VCU home by 1 point. SBU home by 6. PC home by 14. And he inherited a solid program. The 2020, 2021, and 2022 recruiting classes are ALL outside the top 100 per 247. Think about that. I know it is a new era of being able to build via transfers but it should never be the foundational pieces at a place like URI. I don't know why we are even discussing anything other than moving on in April.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago “Through his first 100 games at Rhode Island, David Cox is 58-42. Only legendary Hall of Famer Frank Keaney won more in his first 100 games with the Rams. #GoRhody #Leadership” per the URI Men’s Basketball Instagram.
Awesome news! Now there will be two excuses why Cox will be here for several seasons to come with this bogus record and CoVID. How many of the 58 wins are quality wins over teams that stood out?
Cox is 3-12 against top 50 kenpom teams. VCU home by 1 point. SBU home by 6. PC home by 14. And he inherited a solid program. The 2020, 2021, and 2022 recruiting classes are ALL outside the top 100 per 247. Think about that. I know it is a new era of being able to build via transfers but it should never be the foundational pieces at a place like URI. I don't know why we are even discussing anything other than moving on in April.
Are you saying that regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season that Cox needs to go?
If that doesn't happen do you then feel that Thorr needs to be replaced?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Cox deserves to finish the season.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Damn,
You would never know it with the intense, nonstop negativity here.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Gonebarongone wrote: 2 years ago

Are you saying that regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season that Cox needs to go?
If that doesn't happen do you then feel that Thorr needs to be replaced?
People change. Circumstances change. If he scores some big 2022s or this team is in legit at large conversations, I wouldn't fire him. That seems a one in 25 type deal, though. As for Thorr, if I thought he had 100% control over the decision to eat money and allocate reasonable HC money, yeah I think it would be time to move on. I can't imagine a leader looking at spring 2018 and spring 2022 and thinking it's the right guy.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I like Cox and the URI MBB program, but I like the URI MBB program more. Since Thorr did not extend Cox's contract, I have little hope that he will be able to recruit any good talent which is the life blood of any program. If Thorr doesn't replace Cox at the end of the season, then he intends to run the program into the ground so there will be no opposition to replacing him. The cycle that results in mediocrity will repeat itself.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sorry peeps, but URI is not winning the A10 tourney.

We might have comparable talent to the top of the league, but we do NOT have a coach as good as those teams' coaches.

And in college, that's what it's all about.

To think we would have to win 4 games in 4 days against those teams?

Alice in Wonderland dreaming.

We'll be lucky to win Thursday's game in the A10 tournament. After that, forget it.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Sorry peeps, but URI is not winning the A10 tourney.

We might have comparable talent to the top of the league, but we do NOT have a coach as good as those teams' coaches.

We'll be lucky to win Thursday's game in the A10 tournament. After that, forget it.
We won the first 2 A10 Tournament games in his 1st year. Even beat 16-2 VCU who was the #1 seed. Closest we have come to NCAA bid was that year 1.

Need to win the auto bid this year 4.

Long shot for all 14 teams, including Davidson.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Sorry peeps, but URI is not winning the A10 tourney.

We won the first 2 A10 Tournament games in his 1st year. Even beat 16-2 VCU who was the #1 seed. Closest we have come to NCAA bid was that year 1.

Davidson has a NET of 38. They are in the At Large discussion.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

https://delphibracketology.com/bracketology

Delphi is always near the top for the most accurate bracket every year... Currently has Davidson as a 9 seed. That's an at-large team.

It's a long shot for URI to get into the tournament, but Davidson is in a great place right now.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Delphi is always near the top for the most accurate bracket every year... Currently has Davidson as a 9 seed. That's an at-large team.

It's a long shot for URI to get into the tournament, but Davidson is in a great place right now.
Especially if they win the A10 tournament as expected. 54 of 60 have Davidson currently in with the AQ.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Especially if they win the A10 tournament as expected. 54 of 60 have Davidson currently in with the AQ.
That makes sense. The favorite should be the AQ in these brackets..It's like we when lost to Davidson in the A10 finals. We were an at-large team expected to win the conference tournament and then lost. Yet, we still received a bid.. Dan was so upset at himself for possibly ruining Bobby's chance at a bid because they were right on the bubble.. Dan finding out they still made it was an incredible moment.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

So that is the hope? We wait until March and just win 4 quick game and get the auto bid. We are more likely to lose to some crappy team in the first game. The angle now is how tough we played against Davidson, but it would be no shock at all if they lose on Wednesday or almost any of the games they have left especially on the road. That VCU team they beat played without their best player.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Davidson ok for now but I’m still not sold they can go 13-5 or better in the league or better the top teams will beat each other up
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I still feel that regardless of how many posters feel about Cox, that Thorr will probably give him a short-term extension if he sees a major improvement this season. I still don't think an NCAAT will be the criteria this year.
If by some wild chance we do get a bid, probably a longer-term extension will be warranted.
Again, I am trying to take my own personal feelings out of it.

I have only been able to find 2 coaches constantly mentioned from the A10 as being on the Hot Seat.

Matt McCall - In his 5th year (was extended in 2018) and now in the 2nd to last year of contract, which expires spring of 2023.
He has a minimal buyout and has only 1 winning season (8-7 last season).

Chris Mooney - Also has contract expiring in spring of 2023. With all the pre-season expectations and the return of his seniors, he needs to make the NCAAT or he will probably be done.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If he gets a tournament bid a longer term extension would be warranted, and I don't think anyone has said otherwise

The problem is, what constitutes major improvement with this ten ply schedule? So far there's no evidence we're better than last year, we just have more wins due to a significantly softer schedule. In fact, many of the same issues we're seeing this year have been issues since day one with Cox
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago If he gets a tournament bid a longer term extension would be warranted, and I don't think anyone has said otherwise

The problem is, what constitutes major improvement with this ten ply schedule? So far there's no evidence we're better than last year, we just have more wins due to a significantly softer schedule. In fact, many of the same issues we're seeing this year have been issues since day one with Cox
I guess major improvement will be judged by Thorr.
I think our overall defense has improved and maybe we are a little more efficient.
Still, I have been disappointed in our overall play.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I still feel that regardless of how many posters feel about Cox, that Thorr will probably give him a short-term extension if he sees a major improvement this season. I still don't think an NCAAT will be the criteria this year.
If by some wild chance we do get a bid, probably a longer-term extension will be warranted.

I have only been able to find 2 coaches constantly mentioned from the A10 as being on the Hot Seat.

Matt McCall - In his 5th year (was extended in 2018) and now in the 2nd to last year of contract, which expires spring of 2023.

Chris Mooney - Also has contract expiring in spring of 2023. With all the pre-season expectations and the return of his seniors, he needs to make the NCAAT or he will probably be done.
“Probably” an extension is warranted if he gets an NCAA bid?

So by saying probably, it sounds like no extension is warranted if he doesn’t get a NCAA bid, right?

But then you say Thorr will probably give him a short term extension if he sees major improvement.

So How do you define major improvement? How would Thorr define major improvement? That would end up in your eyes and Thorr’s eyes worthy of an extension end of this season?

OOC Record
Conference Record
A10 Tournament Performance
Player retention end of season
Freshmen and transfer recruitment end of season (May)

My 2 cents:

If Cox gets an NCAA bid he will for sure get an extension and a significant pay raise. And if he gets an NCAA win (to match Cooley lifetime achievement) even bigger extension and pay raise

An NCAA bid probably results in Cox moving on. Bigger pay and higher level conference.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I still feel that regardless of how many posters feel about Cox, that Thorr will probably give him a short-term extension if he sees a major improvement this season. I still don't think an NCAAT will be the criteria this year.

“Probably” an extension is warranted if he gets an NCAA bid?

So by saying probably, it sounds like no extension is warranted if he doesn’t get a NCAA bid, right?

But then you say Thorr will probably give him a short term extension if he sees major improvement.

So How do you define major improvement? How would Thorr define major improvement? That would end up in your eyes and Thorr’s eyes worthy of an extension end of this season?

OOC Record
Conference Record
A10 Tournament Performance
Player retention end of season
Freshmen and transfer recruitment end of season (May)
Ramster as I said earlier, he will probably get a short-term extension if Thorr feels our improvement has warranted it, and probably a longer one if we go to the NCAAT.
Thorr's opinion is really the only one that matters, since it is his decision.

As far as my thoughts, I always said I reserve judgement till the end of the season.

Yes, if the team really falters and we start going backwards that will certainly work against him.
Also, if we see mass departures at the end of the season with our core group.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Martin and Walker don't return, certainly would help our chances next season if they come back.
Tres, Ileri, and Carey leaving could also be a possibility, due to their playing time.
I think it is possible we can see 6 open slots for next season, of course I hope that isn't the case.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If several leave right after the season ends, and we end up with 5-6 openings, that would be the perfect time to change coaches.

Let the new guy recruit......could shorten the time to when we're good again.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes. It’s Thorr’s opinion that matters, but he also has part of his job to set goals for all of his employees.
He must lay out the expectations for each season for every coach. He has set specific goals for David Cox for this season as he does every year.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If I recall correctly, Baron was given a short (1 year?) extension a year before he was let go.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If several leave right after the season ends, and we end up with 5-6 openings, that would be the perfect time to change coaches.

Let the new guy recruit......could shorten the time to when we're good again.
Much would depend on which players decide to leave, plus what recruits are still available and who is in the portal.
Sometimes be careful what you wish for.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Yes. It’s Thorr’s opinion that matters, but he also has part of his job to set goals for all of his employees.
He must lay out the expectations for each season for every coach. He has set specific goals for David Cox for this season as he does every year.
We always should set high expectations.
We also don't know exactly what Thorr's discussion with Cox was prior to the season.
It also doesn't mean he will automatically get fired if those goals or expectations weren't met this season.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It's not just Thorr's opinion that matters. Yes, he has the ultimate say on whether Cox stays or leaves, but fans make their own decision as well with ticket buying, donations, and other considerations. Can we survive more apathy from the fanbase? Attendance numbers are down 25% compared to two years ago, many of the tickets that have been distributed are going unused which hurts concessions and team store revenue, and many people who have tickets are stating they are dissatisfied and talking about dropping their tickets altogether or reducing the numbers of seats they get. This isn't sustainable for the program if we continue to stack poor to mediocre seasons on top of each other
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago It's not just Thorr's opinion that matters. Yes, he has the ultimate say on whether Cox stays or leaves, but fans make their own decision as well with ticket buying, donations, and other considerations. Can we survive more apathy from the fanbase? Attendance numbers are down 25% compared to two years ago, many of the tickets that have been distributed are going unused which hurts concessions and team store revenue, and many people who have tickets are stating they are dissatisfied and talking about dropping their tickets altogether or reducing the numbers of seats they get. This isn't sustainable for the program if we continue to stack poor to mediocre seasons on top of each other
Well yeah, of course he takes many things and factors into consideration before forming an opinion and ultimately making a decision.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago If I recall correctly, Baron was given a short (1 year?) extension a year before he was let go.
Baron was given a one year extension after the 2010 season when we went 26-10, 9-6, and went to MSG in the NIT and was let go after the 2012 season with two years remaining on his contract
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI has a winning conference record then he will not be terminated based on performance.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I think Cox has shown more passion on the sideline, and he's starting to figure out when to call a timeout... Our defense looks better, and our offense runs smoothly without Fatts. He has improved as a coach...However, the mistakes we saw last year popped up again against our two most formidable opponents in PC and Davidson. We need a coach that can make the right decisions in the biggest games. I'm not sure if Cox can do that..

We will win a lot more games than last year but won't be remotely close to an at-large team. We still have zero Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins. Does Thorr pay attention to this? I would assume so..

Our schedule is the worst it's been in years.

Every time I go to the Ryan Center, it feels like 10 people are there. The last time I've felt that way was Baron's final year. The energy in the building is awful...Covid is a big reason, but If we were a better team playing better opponents, I think you'd see more seats filled.

I know many fans who no longer go to the games because they want Cox gone. The fans I speak to at the games have serious doubts. The overall pulse of this fanbase seems to keep getting worse. We still have the diehards like many on here, but I remember how active this board used to be... I think the casual Rhody fan only cared about the PC game, which wasn't very close.

Recruiting seems to be getting worse. Cox can recruit talent, but can he build a successful team?? Chemistry matters. IQ matters. Having an identity matters. Unfortunately, we've seen this year that recruiting talent with a bad attitude can sometimes be a recipe for disaster.

Cox will never be as bad as Baron's final years. He is a decent coach. He knows the game, and as we all know, he's one of the kindest people you'll ever meet. If the bar is championships and bids, I don't think Cox will lead us there. We are not close to an NCAA team this year, and we will be the same or worse next year... Even if we improve, we won't be an NCAA Team next season. If Thorr is ok with a team that will be in most games with some surprise wins and losses and NET rankings around 75-110 then stick with Cox..

I'm very interested to see how it all plays out. I hope Cox can surprise us and lead us to a bid this year.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I think Cox has shown more passion on the sideline, and he's starting to figure out when to call a timeout... Our defense looks better, and our offense runs smoothly without Fatts. He has improved as a coach...However, the mistakes we saw last year popped up again against our two most formidable opponents in PC and Davidson. We need a coach that can make the right decisions in the biggest games. I'm not sure if Cox can do that..

We will win a lot more games than last year but won't be remotely close to an at-large team. We still have zero Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins. Does Thorr pay attention to this? I would assume so..

Every time I go to the Ryan Center, it feels like 10 people are there. The last time I've felt that way was Baron's final year. The energy in the building is awful...Covid is a big reason, but If we were a better team playing better opponents, I think you'd see more seats filled.

I know many fans who no longer go to the games because they want Cox gone. The fans I speak to at the games have serious doubts. The overall pulse of this fanbase seems to keep getting worse. We still have the diehards like many on here, but I remember how active this board used to be... I think the casual Rhody fan only cared about the PC game, which wasn't very close.

Recruiting seems to be getting worse. Cox can recruit talent, but can he build a successful team?? Chemistry matters. IQ matters. Having an identity matters. Unfortunately, we've seen this year that recruiting talent with a bad attitude can sometimes be a recipe for disaster.

Cox will never be as bad as Baron's final years. He is a decent coach. He knows the game, and as we all know, he's one of the kindest people you'll ever meet. If the bar is championships and bids, I don't think Cox will lead us there. We are not close to an NCAA team this year, and we will be the same or worse next year... Even if we improve, we won't be an NCAA Team next season. If Thorr is ok with a team that will be in most games with some surprise wins and losses and NET rankings around 75-110 then stick with Cox..

I'm very interested to see how it all plays out. I hope Cox can surprise us and lead us to a bid this year.
Well said, solid post Stevey!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's Jan 14 and we don't have 1 top 100 win. And we don't get another chance until Jan 28 at Dayton, which is currently #92.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago I think Cox has shown more passion on the sideline, and he's starting to figure out when to call a timeout... Our defense looks better, and our offense runs smoothly without Fatts. He has improved as a coach...However, the mistakes we saw last year popped up again against our two most formidable opponents in PC and Davidson. We need a coach that can make the right decisions in the biggest games. I'm not sure if Cox can do that..

Yeah Stevey, I agree with much of what you posted.
As you know the jury is still out for me concerning Cox.

Still too early to predict what will happen next season or the balance of this season for that matter.
I try to stay optimistic and feel we have the potential for a decent conference run this season.
Also, I do think we have a chance to be a top tier A10 team next season, if our core group returns.

Interesting what our schedule will look like next season.
Our in-conference schedule will probably improve as long as we finish this season on a positive note.
Also, the OOC should be stronger, because already we have PC, at SH, and at Georgia State.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Also, the OOC should be stronger, because already we have PC, at SH, and at Georgia State.
FIFY. Georgia State has a NET of #259. That's an embarrassing road game.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

FIFY. Georgia State has a NET of #259. That's an embarrassing road game.
BlueRam, yeah but one of their top players missed almost the entire season, plus some other key players missed games.

They were favored to win the Sun Belt pre-season and are much better than their record indicates.

I wouldn't be surprised if they still end up winning their tournament.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago It's not just Thorr's opinion that matters. Yes, he has the ultimate say on whether Cox stays or leaves, but fans make their own decision as well with ticket buying, donations, and other considerations. Can we survive more apathy from the fanbase? Attendance numbers are down 25% compared to two years ago, many of the tickets that have been distributed are going unused which hurts concessions and team store revenue, and many people who have tickets are stating they are dissatisfied and talking about dropping their tickets altogether or reducing the numbers of seats they get. This isn't sustainable for the program if we continue to stack poor to mediocre seasons on top of each other
Well yeah, of course he takes many things and factors into consideration before forming an opinion and ultimately making a decision.
Including his OWN job. He also had annual goals and expectations set for him by his boss.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Including his OWN job. He also had annual goals and expectations set for him by his boss.
Ramster, no way will the new president get rid of Thorr who is one of the most respected AD's in the conference.
He is also chair of all the athletic directors in the A10.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago If I recall correctly, Baron was given a short (1 year?) extension a year before he was let go.
Baron was given a one year extension after the 2010 season when we went 26-10, 9-6, and went to MSG in the NIT and was let go after the 2012 season with two years remaining on his contract
Thanks for clarifying.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

“Also, I do think we have a chance to be a top tier A10 team next season, if our core group returns.”

This is the BS some on here say every year. Along with anointing every Rhody recruit as an A10 first team selection.
Our core group returned for this year and it’s not looking great so far. El-Amin was mentioned as the piece we were missing to steady the backcourt and team and how he would be an instant impact. He has been pretty unimpressive overall so far.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago “Also, I do think we have a chance to be a top tier A10 team next season, if our core group returns.”

This is the BS some on here say every year. Along with anointing every Rhody recruit as an A10 first team selection.
Our core group returned for this year and it’s not looking great so far. El-Amin was mentioned as the piece we were missing to steady the backcourt and team and how he would be an instant impact. He has been pretty unimpressive overall so far.
I never said we will be a top tier A10 or NCAAT team this season.
If you have read any of my posts you should know that, in fact I had predicted us to finish 6th.
I always felt next season would be our best chance, considering we keep our core minus Shep and EA. IMO
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I had a conversation the last few days with someone very close to me who's a more casual URI fan, and this person said to me "what the heck is going on with this team"?

I said you know what it's a huge step back to mediocrity from the end of the CFL era. There most certainly will be players entering the Transfer Portal simply because that's how it is these days. It's inevitable as we've all said here before. The electric atmosphere of the RC has essentially gone away, and I cannot wait for the day it is back. I know the state of global affairs hasn't helped this either, but as I believe another poster here said, even the energy here locally in SoCo has gone away, too.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Still too early to predict what will happen next season or the balance of this season for that matter.
I try to stay optimistic and feel we have the potential for a decent conference run this season.
Also, I do think we have a chance to be a top tier A10 team next season, if our core group returns.

Our in-conference schedule will probably improve as long as we finish this season on a positive note.
I would love to have hope for next season and the future, but I don't see it with this roster. Unfortunately, our current core for next year is not close to an NCAA team. We lose our best guard. We likely lose our best player in Walker. Even if he comes back, he will still be behind the twins.... Ish will probably improve, but he's not where he needs to be on the offensive end. Betrand is an upgrade from EA on the offensive end but a downgrade on the defensive end. Mailk will be a great glue guy...Thomas is a solid PG, and Chance will be a fun shooter to watch. None are game-changers. We need a Terrell, EC, Hass type of player on this team. We would need to land a 1st or 2nd team All A10 level guard to have any chance next year. I see no reason why we would have a chance at that type of player. I hope I'm wrong.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I would love to have hope for next season and the future, but I don't see it with this roster. Unfortunately, our current core for next year is not close to an NCAA team. We lose our best guard. We likely lose our best player in Walker. Even if he comes back, he will still be behind the twins.... Ish will probably improve, but he's not where he needs to be on the offensive end. Betrand is an upgrade from EA on the offensive end but a downgrade on the defensive end. Mailk will be a great glue guy...Thomas is a solid PG, and Chance will be a fun shooter to watch. None are game-changers. We need a Terrell, EC, Hass type of player on this team. We would need to land a 1st or 2nd team All A10 level guard to have any chance next year. I see no reason why we would have a chance at that type of player. I hope I'm wrong.
Also, much depends on what the other teams in the A10 return next season.
We know Richmond loses alot, The Bonnies have all seniors who may be tired of Olean and decide to move on.
Davidson, VCU, Dayton, possibly SLU, and Rhody should all lead the way.

Bassy and Ish should both continue to improve. A healthy AB will be an upgrade over EA.
I expect big things from both Mitchells.
Martin and Walker will be icing on the cake if they return.
Carey is a mystery, who knows.
Maybe Tres, Ileri, Samb, and Chance will all be able to contribute.
We also don't know who else they will bring in.

Just trying to be optimistic here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need more talent on the court, AND on the sideline [coaching].

You need both to be successful in college BB.

We don't have enough of either.

I will say, that it is hard to recruit talent here, if recruits don't know if the guy recruiting them will be here.

But that's the way it is. These are Cox's players, and he has to own it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Is there a different AB than I'm remembering? Because if it's Allen Betrand, I think people are overrating what he brought to the table last year, so this idea that he's going to come in after a year off due to injury and be a gamechanger for our program next year is bound to only make people disappointed in what he brings to the table next year
3 x