David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by ramster »

Includes post game interview with David Cox. WPRI also shows incorrectly in their article that Makhi got the Tech. Tech was on Makhel.

https://www.wpri.com/sports/uri-drops-a ... -davidson/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does anyone have the David game video? I'd like to relook at the Leggett non call and the Tech called on Makhel. I did not record the game, just watched it live :cry:
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago It to me that Leggett overpenetrates a lot and gets himself in trouble. While he is stocky, I still don’t he has the size to finish through contact at the rim. I think someone mentioned this yesterday ….. he needs to pull up and take that five footer when there is a lot of traffic near the basket. He usually penetrates from the wing, so the bank shot is available. He normally doesn’t get a call when he tries to get off a shot in traffic: not just yesterday.
Starting to remind me of Mike Powell. Could penetrate but consistently got swallowed up and lost possession.. Legget was a player I think we all thought would be a key this year based on the expected improvement from last year. Unfortunately that has not been the case.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago It to me that Leggett overpenetrates a lot and gets himself in trouble. While he is stocky, I still don’t he has the size to finish through contact at the rim. I think someone mentioned this yesterday ….. he needs to pull up and take that five footer when there is a lot of traffic near the basket. He usually penetrates from the wing, so the bank shot is available. He normally doesn’t get a call when he tries to get off a shot in traffic: not just yesterday.
Starting to remind me of Mike Powell. Could penetrate but consistently got swallowed up and lost possession.. Legget was a player I think we all thought would be a key this year based on the expected improvement from last year. Unfortunately that has not been the case.
Correct. After the BU game, I predicted he would be Rhody’s best player this year, and I believe I posted it. Predictions like this are why I no longer gamble.
3 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

If Cox is the coach next season, I am dropping 3 of my 4 season tix. Only reasons I don’t drop all 4 is to keep my priority, my seat location and the Hope of a better future…
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Cox definitely needs to go after this season !!

One of his biggest mistakes was probably promising the twins either starting jobs or a certain amount of playing time and it should cost him his job

Lack of discipline with the twins just allows them to do whatever they want
What would the team be like without the Mitchell twins? Fordham. LaSalle.
Ah always nice to hear from you - PC had a win yesterday, go on friar talk.

but.. lol what are we now?

If you played one Mitchell at a time and did what’s best for the team instead of trying to honor every recruiting commitment you made, you might be half decent.

The talent is there. This is a blatantly obvious coaching shit show.
Your response is a non sequitur and an attempt by a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RAM67 wrote: 2 years ago The T was inexcusable, but let's not keep saying it was the reason we lost the game.
Not the reason for the loss, but as stated earlier...it
did make it so we had no chance to win
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody22 wrote: 2 years ago If Cox is the coach next season, I am dropping 3 of my 4 season tix. Only reasons I don’t drop all 4 is to keep my priority, my seat location and the Hope of a better future…
It’s very important that this needs to be Cox last season as our head coach

If players leave cuz coach gets fired so be it the most important thing is finding that next head coach hopefully a DH type who sets the culture for a rebuild towards the top of the conference
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago
Your URI men’s basketball coach getting absolutely bodied by some GMU season ticket holder lol. Not their coach, or top assistant, or announcer or beat writer. Just a dude with a Twitter account doing coaching circles around your guy. This blows.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

After the absolute love-fest witnessed on Twitter last week, celebrating Coach Cox's record through his first 100 games, I'm doubtful he will be fired at the end of this season... Likely will require a total collapse in conference play for Thorr to even consider it.

The tweet reminds me of when the 2001 Red Sox collapsed down the stretch and missed the playoffs. GM, at the time, Dan Duquette went on the radio and called the season a success because the Sox had spent “more days in first place” than any other team.

1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago After the absolute love-fest witnessed on Twitter last week, celebrating Coach Cox's record through his first 100 games, I'm doubtful he will be fired at the end of this season... Likely will require a total collapse in conference play for Thorr to even consider it.

The tweet reminds me of when the 2001 Red Sox collapsed down the stretch and missed the playoffs. GM, at the time, Dan Duquette went on the radio and called the season a success because the Sox had spent “more days in first place” than any other team.

These tweets are scary.
4 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Can confirm, there was no cake involved with this announcement, so I wouldn’t expect any for the 10th win record. 😭
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago After the absolute love-fest witnessed on Twitter last week, celebrating Coach Cox's record through his first 100 games, I'm doubtful he will be fired at the end of this season... Likely will require a total collapse in conference play for Thorr to even consider it.

Yikes. Tom Penders, two years 48-17 and a Sweet 16. Jim Harrick, two years 45-21 and an Elite 8. Can they compare Cox in his first two years to these guys? So in 4 years he has 10 more wins than Penders had in 2 and 13 more wins than Harrick in 2. I guess......congrats?
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

What would the team be like without the Mitchell twins? Fordham. LaSalle.
Ah always nice to hear from you - PC had a win yesterday, go on friar talk.

but.. lol what are we now?

If you played one Mitchell at a time and did what’s best for the team instead of trying to honor every recruiting commitment you made, you might be half decent.

The talent is there. This is a blatantly obvious coaching shit show.
Your response is a non sequitur and an attempt by a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully.
Writing college-level words does not make you intelligent, as evidenced by the overwhelming majority of your posts.

However, your trolling is an art form at this point, so I tip my cap sir.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone have the David game video? I'd like to relook at the Leggett non call and the Tech called on Makhel. I did not record the game, just watched it live :cry:

Not the whole game but that play is in there
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Wow that’s terrible to even mention. 10 wins?? Look for the PA announcer to call attention to a video montage once Cox achieves this milestone.

Honestly though, that looks like something Bill Koch is highlighting independently.
Agreed. Bill is definitely not a marketing arm of the athletic department.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

ATPTourFan wrote: 2 years ago Wow that’s terrible to even mention. 10 wins?? Look for the PA announcer to call attention to a video montage once Cox achieves this milestone.

Honestly though, that looks like something Bill Koch is highlighting independently.
Agreed. Bill is definitely not a marketing arm of the athletic department.
I tweeted the Davidson story from our website but did not write it. Steve Lyttle served as a freelancer for us in North Carolina.
Last edited by Bill Koch 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I would guess bill was at the dunk.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Is it APRIL 1st with that tweet ?

My goodness
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Is it APRIL 1st with that tweet ?

My goodness
Winning 10 times in the same year ain't easy. Apparently.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Still the projo owns the article
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox still hasn't been extended....so there's that.

There's a reason he wasn't...so I'm not worried about puff pieces about what Cox has done.

It's what he HASN'T done, that's more important.

I do agree that Thorr hasn't made a decision about Cox's job. Not yet.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

CUT CLOWN COX BAIT
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox still hasn't been extended....so there's that.

There's a reason he wasn't...so I'm not worried about puff pieces about what Cox has done.

It's what he HASN'T done, that's more important.

I do agree that Thorr hasn't made a decision about Cox's job. Not yet.
Cox has not been extended and not been given a pay increase - from what we know. That says a lot right there.

This is a big year 4. Years 1,2 and 3 are in the record.

This team is all David Cox recruits.

It's too early for fire cox comments imho because the only way 14 teams are going to get an NCAA Bid is to win the A10 with remote exception scenarios.

Let David Cox, Staff and Players play out the 18 game season and the A10 Tournament. I am personally optimistic.

If URI winds the A10 Championship then a contract extension and pay raise are simple. In fact, other schools will be after David Cox.

If we come very close to winning the A10 such as getting to the Championship Game of the A10 Tournament then he likely stays, maybe getting to SemiFinals if we finish Top 3 in the A10 Regular Season.

Anything other than that and I'd think a change is made. But that's of course up to the AD and School President.

Coaches rarely get fired during seasons and the constant talk of firing only hurts the team I think.

This team can win the A10 Championship. Let's let the 17 more games and the A10 Tournament play out. No different than what I said in the Jim Baron 2.0 thread. Even more posters were down on Hurley back then than are down on David Cox. The Davidson game was more encouraging to me that this team can win the Auto Bid. The defense was fantastic against one of the best passing and shooting teams in the country in Davidson. We have tremendous bench strength in Walker, Martin and Thomas - all 3 of whom I think could easily slide into the starting line up. No A10 Teams have 3 players as good as Walker, Martin and Thomas coming off the bench.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Too early ?

I started them 3-4 years ago

COX blows

It’s simple

Fire him
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago Too early ?

I started them 3-4 years ago

COX blows

It’s simple

Fire him
ok :D
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago No A10 Teams have 3 players as good as Walker, Martin and Thomas coming off the bench.
That's because most teams put their best player in the starting lineup.
13 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ummm.. hello ?... anyone ???..can we do this now instead of waiting for the offseason ?

CUT BAIT
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago No A10 Teams have 3 players as good as Walker, Martin and Thomas coming off the bench.
hahah awesome post.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I re-watched the Davidson game. Everyone pointing out our talent, and lack of coaching is spot on. Having talent and not using it is worse then having a crappy team. Its like the 6'6 kid you grew up with that plays chess.
3 x
GO RAMS
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
I legit laughed at that one.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago ummm.. hello ?... anyone ???..can we do this now instead of waiting for the offseason ?

CUT BAIT
……sure, I will bite, now to fire? realistically no………an evaluation will most likely take place at seasons end………including the HC and AD and perhaps others…….if the season turns out be far short of the “bar” or some other program disaster then a change will thought about…….the signals coming from Thorr, regarding the 10 wins in the four years and the reference to Frank Kearney are for me a sign Thorr is not gonna make a move…….for those that want a coaching change now, it ain’t happening mid season……..whatever criteria Thorr is using to evaluate the program will be measured at seasons end…….a pass on this year, Covid, climate change, etc could be among the spin crap we will get……….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

fire now if you can get a top coach now

it's that simple

YOU ARE FIRED

there, it is done

why does everyone have to make everything so difficult

this coach sucks

if you can't lure a top coach now (in the off season for coach hiring) then i understand your valid point

but, if you can hire a top coach now, then do it
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………these conversations often turn into, who do you want to hire now, that is unemployed? Archie, OK…..beyond that who out there fits the top coach list?……..just asking…..
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'd be thrilled with either Miller.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most everyone thought we had no chance against Davidson
We were 8.5 point underdogs
Guys played their hearts out and game went down to the final seconds
Many complimentary things said about our team on the Davidson message board in-game thread

There is no possible way the URI coach will or even should be released with a 9-3 OOC record and 0-1 in A10 play

What kind of message would that send to the players, the coaching staff, the fans, the other URI sports teams?

Makes no sense to me and seems unfair.

Let the season play out and enjoy the remaining games.

Make the trip to Washington DC and enjoy the A10 Tournament.

This team just might very well surprise just like Hurley shocked the posters who wanted him gone in Baron 2.0.

If The Davidson defensive effort and battle that the URI players and coaches gave them on the road didn’t keep you from the negative slant then I doubt nothing upcoming the team does in January and February will.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Finally some unity on this board. Reading the comments from the last 20ish hours has been cathartic.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ………these conversations often turn into, who do you want to hire now, that is unemployed? Archie, OK…..beyond that who out there fits the top coach list?……..just asking…..
I would donate as much as I possibly can to get Archie Miller. Problem is that will only get him a large cheese pizza at Kingston..
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We are doomed, no hope, everything sucks
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……and definitely not Pier Pizza…….maybe a go-fund-me…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……and definitely not Pier Pizza…….maybe a go-fund-me…….
hahah Pier is so expensive!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Neither Miller would be interested in what URI has to offer.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……and definitely not Pier Pizza…….maybe a go-fund-me…….
Think Pier Pizza has closed
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

72, I bed to differ about Archie.

Of course, URI would have to make the necessary commitments program wise, along with a major salary increase from what they're paying Cox.

Doubt it would happen, but again, is URI serious about being top of the A10, and what it will take to get there?

So far, there;s nothing to indicate they are.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I think we offered Hurley 2M per year before he decided on his move to UCONN. If that's right, then it does show URI can get serious if the right person is involved.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

hahah Pier WAS so expensive!
FIFY
0 x
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago
….yes, yes it is victim of Covid…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

….yes, yes it is victim of Covid…..
I also drove all the way from Mass to get dinner at Alforno last week and I found out they were closed. Really sucked.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Correct. Done.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago 72, I bed to differ about Archie.

Of course, URI would have to make the necessary commitments program wise, along with a major salary increase from what they're paying Cox.

Doubt it would happen, but again, is URI serious about being top of the A10, and what it will take to get there?

So far, there;s nothing to indicate they are.
Archie was making $3M+ at IU.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!