URI's next President

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI's next President

Unread post by ramster »

No D1 Basketball Program needs this

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Tell it, SVP!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Parlange will quickly get an education about the state of URI hoops, if he does read this board!

There are a lot of very knowledgeable basketball people here [present company excluded of course] lol
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Parlange will quickly get an education about the state of URI hoops, if he does read this board!

There are a lot of very knowledgeable basketball people here [present company excluded of course] lol
Don’t sell yourself short 78 you know your Rhody hoops
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Parlange will quickly get an education about the state of URI hoops, if he does read this board!

Don’t sell yourself short 78 you know your Rhody hoops
I am sure that Dr Dooley will fill his successor in on the importance of Sports and the A10 to URI. Note that Parlange starts on August 1 and that Dr Dooley has agreed to stay on longer than originally planned.

He said he’s been following the sports teams and other campus events, and that he wants the community to know that he’s very friendly and approachable, “even though I always wear a tie.”

Parlange’s tenure as University president will officially begin on Aug. 1. Current president David Dooley was originally going to retire in June but has agreed to stay on until Parlange takes over.

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Interesting side note, earlier this month he was selected to be the next president at Georgia State. Seems to me we let him know that we weren't picking him to be the next president before we made the announcement so he could withdraw on his own terms or perhaps he decided we weren't the right job for him
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. I have URI’s next president Marc Palange on my next podcast and I would like to get your feedback on questions to ask Marc that relate to what we need from him to either maintain or improve our basketball program.

I found this thread helpful to allow me to target the podcast more on the relationship between successful basketball programs and school presidents.

Looking forward to your feedback.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Hey guys. I have URI’s next president Marc Palange on my next podcast and I would like to get your feedback on questions to ask Marc that relate to what we need from him to either maintain or improve our basketball program.

I found this thread helpful to allo me to target the podcast more on the relationship between successful basketball programs and school presidents.

Ask him if a $100 additional fee for students dedicated to the coaches salary would help in maintaining a national program. Based on enrollment, that would be an additional $1.6 Mill a year.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

- What have been the biggest adjustments he's found himself making, from life in Australia? Is there anything unique that can be taken from the university system there and applied to URI?

- What are, in his mind, the strengths of the URI athletics program? And, what are some of the things that the university needs to improve on in that area?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Get his comment on alcohol sales at the concession stands at the Ryan Center. Was he involved in this decision?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Get his comment on alcohol sales at the concession stands at the Ryan Center. Was he involved in this decision?
When he found out about how it's been handled, he said, "You're currently doing WHAT!?!?" (And that's all it took to get it changed)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Get his comment on alcohol sales at the concession stands at the Ryan Center. Was he involved in this decision?
When he found out about how it's been handled, he said, "You're currently doing WHAT!?!?" (And that's all it took to get it changed)
Did he also say where are the Foster's oil cans?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Example of A10 VCU retiring a MBB Number

URI has only 3 jerseys retired in the rafters of the Ryan Center: 1 MBB, 1 WBB, 1 past President

What are your thoughts on this and could a committee be formed to look into Retiring of Numbers (Jerseys) at URI based on what other schools do? Feels like we are behind on this process.

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Example of A10 VCU retiring a MBB Number

URI has only 3 jerseys retired in the rafters of the Ryan Center: 1 MBB, 1 WBB, 1 past President

What are your thoughts on this and could a committee be formed to look into Retiring of Numbers (Jerseys) at URI based on what other schools do? Feels like we are behind on this process.

Yeah, that "retired" presidents jersey needs to come down.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect so according to the Geneva Convention I can say whatever I want right now and you can't get offended, A. Should someone who has been president of URI since August have a serious opinion about the retired numbers at the Ryan Center? and B. if they had a serious opinion, would they be qualified to run a state flagship university?

I understand that this is a sports message board, but can we be real about what a university president can and should control? Retired numbers should literally never get above the athletic director at a university
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago - What have been the biggest adjustments he's found himself making, from life in Australia? Is there anything unique that can be taken from the university system there and applied to URI?

- What are, in his mind, the strengths of the URI athletics program? And, what are some of the things that the university needs to improve on in that area?
For instance, these are very valid questions. These are the sort of high level questions that should be asked of a university president when asked questions about the athletic department.

One question I would add to these: Since you've become University president we've announced that we're going to add women's lacrosse. Consistently we've been told and understood that finances are holding current sports back. What went into the decision to add women's lacrosse and how do we know that A. it can be successful here, and B. it won't hamper programs already in place?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect so according to the Geneva Convention I can say whatever I want right now and you can't get offended, A. Should someone who has been president of URI since August have a serious opinion about the retired numbers at the Ryan Center? and B. if they had a serious opinion, would they be qualified to run a state flagship university?

I understand that this is a sports message board, but can we be real about what a university president can and should control? Retired numbers should literally never get about the athletic director at a university
Good response RR2. I’m not thinking the President should put this at the top of his list, nor do I expect a response, but I think it is something that he should have some level of awareness of.
One URI President is in the rafters, who also has the library named after him. So I think it is a question that could go to an incoming President.

My suggestion is to have a committee look into it and come back to him with results of their findings and with their recommendations.

I know there are Basketball fans and Alumni that have long had questions and concerns about this subject.

In the end I’d trust Scott to ask or not ask. I’m ok either way.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Hey guys. I have URI’s next president Marc Palange on my next podcast and I would like to get your feedback on questions to ask Marc that relate to what we need from him to either maintain or improve our basketball program.

I found this thread helpful to allo me to target the podcast more on the relationship between successful basketball programs and school presidents.

Ask him if a $100 additional fee for students dedicated to the coaches salary would help in maintaining a national program. Based on enrollment, that would be an additional $1.6 Mill a year.
Conversely, should students no longer be forced to pay for the Ryan Center since their seats have been moved to less desirable locations, and should the people that stole the student's seats be forced to pay a personal seat license for the right to those seats?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I understand that this is a sports message board, but can we be real about what a university president can and should control? Retired numbers should literally never get about the athletic director at a university
Good response RR2. I’m not thinking the President should put this at the top of his list, nor do I expect a response, but I think it is something that he should have some level of awareness of.
One URI President is in the rafters, who also has the library named after him. So I think it is a question that could go to an incoming President.

My suggestion is to have a committee look into it and come back to him with results of their findings and with their recommendations.

I know there are Basketball fans and Alumni that have long had questions and concerns about this subject.

In the end I’d trust Scott to ask or not ask. I’m ok either way.
I wouldn't hate the question if it was asked to Dooley towards the end of his presidency. I just don't expect someone who has been on the job for five months to have a serious answer to that question with everything else going on right now. And like I alluded to, if they had a serious answer, would they be the right person to handle everything that goes into running a state flagship university? Retired numbers are a specialized area of a specialty department of a university
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

More questions I would add:

1. What are the current infrastructure projects already happening outside of the renovation to the Fine Arts Center? What are some infrastructure projects you feel need to take place during your presidency and if there are any, why are they that important?

2. What are changes you'd like to see URI make during your tenure independently as a University?

3. What changes would you like to see to the town and gown relationship with us and South Kingstown and Narragansett especially?

4. Picture yourself at the end of your tenure as University president. A. In that situation what are some things you want to accomplish that you could look back on and say you were a successful president? B. Are there some things that are "must accomplish" for you to feel like you succeeded here?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Couple more Questions Scott,

1. What impressed you most about URI in your first few weeks on the job?
2. What were the biggest reasons for pursuing the President position at URI?
3. What do you now see as the biggest short term and long term improvement opportunities for URI?
4. Are there any thoughts about a long term future athletic conference whereby members are more All Sports such as Basketball and Football and more geographically located to reduce travel and improve rivalries in all sports?
5. How are you feeling about your decision to be President if URI?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Conversely, should students no longer be forced to pay for the Ryan Center since their seats have been moved to less desirable locations, and should the people that stole the student's seats be forced to pay a personal seat license for the right to those seats?
Good point. Also remember when the citizens voted for gambling in the state to fund education? URI should be almost free for in state students with all the gambling money the state takes in.
1 x