1/19 | La Salle | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/2 | La Salle | 2:30PM (USA)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
Backroads wrote: 2 years ago My ticket now says URI VS AIC. American International College in Springfield. 🙄
Div II?
Yup
Yuck. Well...at least you can take beers to your seat?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Unbelievable.

Cox has to think a gaudy record will help keep his job.

If Thorr keeps this guy around after this season, my opinion of Thorr will take a HUGE hit.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

AIC would unfortunately make sense on several levels. They just had their home game against LeMoyne scheduled for today cancelled. They are local so travel would not be an issue as it is easy and inexpensive by bus. Furthermore as a D2 school, the guarantee payment would be extremely cheap.

It was clear from the statements after the cancellation of the Charleston and Brown games that URI wanted to protect its home game revenue. There was mention of another game possibly being rescheduled for Brown but nothing about a makeup for the neutral site Charleston game. If Rhody plays AIC tomorrow, the prime reason will be to keep the ticket revenue it had already collected. Cox probably would also like a tuneup for his players to work off their rust before conference play having not had a game since December 13th at Milwaukee.

The scheduling of AIC will suck for anyone that has to use pre-bought tickets for a D1 opponent at the Ryan Center.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Pats game or AIC???
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Unbelievable.

If Thorr keeps this guy around after this season, my opinion of Thorr will take a HUGE hit.
A game against AIC would probably be more of a Thorr and the Athletic Dept decision than Cox. If this game occurs, it is happening to protect prepaid ticket revenue for a home game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Unbelievable.

A game against AIC would probably be more of a Thorr and the Athletic Dept decision than Cox. If this game occurs, it is happening to protect prepaid ticket revenue for a home game.
Totally agree. The schedule may suck out loud, but I don't think it's because DC is ducking teams....

Feel bad for the season ticket holders that tried to give it a go. What a mess....
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

If true, this might be the first time since I got my season tickets that I take a pass on attending a game solely based on the opponent and not because I have any conflicts or something else going on.

I hope someone in the media asks why they couldn't have just rescheduled the Dayton game. Since it seems like such a no-brainer to most of us.

(I don't blame Cox for scheduling this, but if they happen to lose to AIC, I can already hear it: "Well we only had 24 hours to prepare, there's no video on them ......")
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago Pats game or AIC???
Miss AIC?

Mighty AIC is presently 5-6 coming off an exciting home win over Goldey Beacom College. Has other BIG wins over Holy Family University, College of Staten Island, Southern Ct State, and Assumption. Have only lost to powers Jefferson, Pace, Post, Adelphi, New Haven, and Bentley. How could you possibly consider missing the Yellow Jackets?
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Wow, AIC, how exciting. I don't blame them but I'll watch football, and drink my beer at home. In my case my season tickets are entertainment as well, and although I don't mind missing a few games, things are getting ridiculous. Between the A10 declining, and URI's descent into mediocrity, and the schedule full of low tier mid majors or worse, season tickets simply do not hold the appeal they once did.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago I hope someone in the media asks why they couldn't have just rescheduled the Dayton game. Since it seems like such a no-brainer to most of us.

Dayton fans are also discussing why the Flyers just didn't play URI tomorrow since each had games cancelled due to Covid in their opponents. Some of them wondered whether last minute travel might have been an issue. Getting a charter that had not been already scheduled could be tough and the charter industry may also be facing the same Covid staffing issues that is presently wreaking havoc on the commercial airline industry.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago AIC would unfortunately make sense on several levels. They just had their home game against LeMoyne scheduled for today cancelled. They are local so travel would not be an issue as it is easy and inexpensive by bus. Furthermore as a D2 school, the guarantee payment would be extremely cheap.

It was clear from the statements after the cancellation of the Charleston and Brown games that URI wanted to protect its home game revenue. There was mention of a game being rescheduled for Brown but nothing about a makeup for the neutral site Charleston game. If Rhody plays AIC tomorrow, the prime reason will be to keep the ticket revenue it had already collected. Cox probably would also like a tuneup for his players to work off their rust before conference play having not had a game since December 13th at Milwaukee.

The scheduling of AIC will suck for anyone that has to use pre-bought tickets for a D1 opponent at the Ryan Center.
The Brown game will not be made up, per GoRhody.
"KINGSTON, R.I. – Due to COVID-19 protocols, Wednesday's men's basketball game between Rhode Island and Brown has been canceled. The schools attempted to find a makeup date later in the season, but the efforts were unsuccessful."
https://gorhody.com/news/2021/12/20/men ... ocols.aspx

Not sure how they came up with AIC but not easy finding a replacement game last minute with a team that is relatively close, they probably had very few options.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago AIC would unfortunately make sense on several levels. They just had their home game against LeMoyne scheduled for today cancelled. They are local so travel would not be an issue as it is easy and inexpensive by bus. Furthermore as a D2 school, the guarantee payment would be extremely cheap.

It was clear from the statements after the cancellation of the Charleston and Brown games that URI wanted to protect its home game revenue. There was mention of a game being rescheduled for Brown but nothing about a makeup for the neutral site Charleston game. If Rhody plays AIC tomorrow, the prime reason will be to keep the ticket revenue it had already collected. Cox probably would also like a tuneup for his players to work off their rust before conference play having not had a game since December 13th at Milwaukee.

"KINGSTON, R.I. – Due to COVID-19 protocols, Wednesday's men's basketball game between Rhode Island and Brown has been canceled. The schools attempted to find a makeup date later in the season, but the efforts were unsuccessful."

Not sure how they came up with AIC but not easy finding a replacement game last minute with a team that is relatively close, they probably had very few options.

Read the Brown game cancellation release again and go straight to the bottom. URI floated the possibility of getting a different opponent as a makeup:

Season Ticket Holders
If a new opponent, game, and date be scheduling all season ticket holders may use the Brown game ticket to attend that game. Should a new game not be scheduled then each season ticket holder will be provided a ticket credit in the amount of your ticket value for the Brown game.

Link:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bryant (again) would have been better?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bryant (again) would have been better?
Don't know if that was even on the table. or discussed among the schools.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Read the Brown game cancellation release again and go straight to the bottom. URI floated the possibility of getting a different opponent as a makeup:

Season Ticket Holders
If a new opponent, game, and date be scheduling all season ticket holders may use the Brown game ticket to attend that game. Should a new game not be scheduled then each season ticket holder will be provided a ticket credit in the amount of your ticket value for the Brown game.

Link:
I thought you were referring to specifically Brown as being made up.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago I hope someone in the media asks why they couldn't have just rescheduled the Dayton game. Since it seems like such a no-brainer to most of us.

Dayton fans are also discussing why the Flyers just didn't play URI tomorrow since each had games cancelled due to Covid in their opponents. Some of them wondered whether last minute travel might have been an issue. Getting a charter that had not been already scheduled could be tough and the charter industry may also be facing the same Covid staffing issues that is presently wreaking havoc on the commercial airline industry.
OK, if that's an issue, then why not play one of the two St. Joe's games tomorrow, then you have an opening later in the season that can be planned for better?

If the A10 wants to get a representative season in they're going to have to get creative moving games around when things get canceled instead of just trying to push things back
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Bryant (again) would have been better?

Bryant, as a buy game, would require a far higher payout than a non D1 opponent. This is the reason why the Bulldogs have not been on URI's schedule in recent years. URI would not give Bryant a home and home series and Bryant could get far more money for guarantee games from other teams. The game versus Bryant this season at the Ryan Center was only because it was part of a tournament. It likely would not have happened otherwise.

I am seeing that other A-10 teams may be paying amounts near $70k to play America East teams. URI does not seem able or willing to pay this out for many games. It is why you are seeing less buy games at the Ryan Center in recent seasons and seeing URI go on the road to places such as Milwaukee, Georgia State, Middle Tenn State, and Charleston in DC. Buy games versus local non D-1 schools are probably no more than $20k.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bryant, as a buy game, would require a far higher payout than a non D1 opponent. This is the reason why the Bulldogs have not been on URI's schedule in recent years. URI would not give Bryant a home and home series and Bryant could get far more money for guarantee games from other teams. The game versus Bryant this season at the Ryan Center was only because it was part of a tournament. It likely would not have happened otherwise.

I am seeing that other A-10 teams may be paying amounts near $70k to play America East teams. URI does not seem able or willing to pay this out for many games. It is why you are seeing less buy games at the Ryan center in recent seasons and seeing URI go on the road to places such a Milwaukee, Georgia State, Middle Tenn State, and Charleston in DC. Buy games versus local non D-1 schools are probably no more than $20k.
At the current rate, h & h w/Bryant would be an upgrade?
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

OK, if that's an issue, then why not play one of the two St. Joe's games tomorrow, then you have an opening later in the season that can be planned for better?

If the A10 wants to get a representative season in they're going to have to get creative moving games around when things get canceled instead of just trying to push things back
Or how about you look into scheduling Dayton on Monday, giving you an extra day to figure out travel? Neither team plays again until Wednesday, and surely they must already realize they're not going to be able to give multiple days off between games this season and still squeeze in all of these rescheduled ones.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/2 | La Salle | 2:30PM (POSTPONED)

Unread post by neil »

Not happy with AIC. Only positive is that we are playing a game before we go on the road to Mason and Davidson probably the toughest consecutive away games this year. What a mess!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I am seeing that other A-10 teams may be paying amounts near $70k to play America East teams. URI does not seem able or willing to pay this out for many games. It is why you are seeing less buy games at the Ryan center in recent seasons and seeing URI go on the road to places such a Milwaukee, Georgia State, Middle Tenn State, and Charleston in DC. Buy games versus local non D-1 schools are probably no more than $20k.
At the current rate, h & h w/Bryant would be an upgrade?
I had to come back and realize both the truth and the suck to this...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote: 2 years ago Not happy with AIC. Only positive is that we are playing a game before we go on the road to Mason and Davidson probably the toughest consecutive away games this year. What a mess!
Not much different from Davidson having Loyola of Chicago coming in and cancelling. Davidson then quickly scheduled Johnson & Wales from Charlotte.

1500 flights cancelled yesterday, more today - due to covid impacting airline and airport staff. It's a bad time to fly right now.

Getting a game now is for the players to get some time on the floor having had such a long Covid induced layoff.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It makes no fucking sense they didn’t reschedule the Dayton game for Sunday. None
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
neil wrote: 2 years ago Not happy with AIC. Only positive is that we are playing a game before we go on the road to Mason and Davidson probably the toughest consecutive away games this year. What a mess!
Not much different from Davidson having Loyola of Chicago coming in and cancelling. Davidson then quickly scheduled Johnson & Wales from Charlotte.

1500 flights cancelled yesterday, more today - due to covid impacting airline and airport staff. It's a bad time to fly right now.

Getting a game now is for the players to get some time on the floor having had such a long Covid induced layoff.
Exactly, my thought also.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago My ticket now says URI VS AIC. American International College in Springfield. 🙄
Div II?
Yup
Game shows in the ticket buying at GoRhody.com

Game is with AIC at 2:30pm
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I can kind of understand not scheduling Dayton - With the lack of flight staff, it's probably an expensive ticket. Still seems crazy that they couldn't find a D1 opponent that's within an acceptable bus ride away, though.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Div II?
Yup
Does your mobile ticket still say AIC on it? Is the game time still 2:30pm? I'm not seeing this. Are others here seeing AIC on their mobile tickets?
AIC’s website is listing the game…

https://aicyellowjackets.com/sports/men ... l/schedule
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 2 years ago

Yup
Does your mobile ticket still say AIC on it? Is the game time still 2:30pm? I'm not seeing this. Are others here seeing AIC on their mobile tickets?
AIC’s website is listing the game…

https://aicyellowjackets.com/sports/men ... l/schedule
URI website is showing the game as well if you go to buy tickets
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Is this new game still going to be nationally televised?
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Here is the official URI press release announcing the game with AIC. LaSalle game tickets will be honored.

Rams Will Host American International Sunday Afternoon
https://gorhody.com/news/2022/1/1/mens- ... rnoon.aspx

It seems that URI is acknowledging that many fans may be disappointed with a non D1 opponent. Per the statement, URI was in communication with a handful of Division I programs about playing. A variety of issues – including travel logistics, COVID concerns and other schools already having matchups in place – prevented several possibilities. As a nod to this, the Ryan Center ticket office will be offering a complimentary ticket offer to each paid ticket account holder in attendance for a future home game of your choice in February/March. A ticket link with that exclusive offer will be sent out later next week.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Here is the official URI press release announcing the game with AIC. LaSalle game tickets will be honored.

Yes, also mentioned in article from GoRhody.

"Rhode Island was in communication with a handful of Division I programs about playing. A variety of issues – including travel logistics, COVID concerns and other schools already having matchups in place – prevented several possibilities."

"In addition, the Ryan Center ticket office will be offering a complimentary ticket offer to each paid ticket account holder in attendance for a future home game of your choice in February/March. A ticket link with that exclusive offer will be sent out later next week."
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Div II?
Yup
Well done Backroads. Started the New Year off right on top of it.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Here is the official URI press release announcing the game with AIC. LaSalle game tickets will be honored.

Yes, also mentioned in article from GoRhody.

"Rhode Island was in communication with a handful of Division I programs about playing. A variety of issues – including travel logistics, COVID concerns and other schools already having matchups in place – prevented several possibilities."

"In addition, the Ryan Center ticket office will be offering a complimentary ticket offer to each paid ticket account holder in attendance for a future home game of your choice in February/March. A ticket link with that exclusive offer will be sent out later next week."
That article did not mention the opponent.

Backroads posted that his ticket opponent had changed earlier today before any press release or any website for AIC or URI had the opponent change listed

Backroads right on top of things for 2022
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Or how about you look into scheduling Dayton on Monday, giving you an extra day to figure out travel? Neither team plays again until Wednesday, and surely they must already realize they're not going to be able to give multiple days off between games this season and still squeeze in all of these rescheduled ones.
AIC is a freakin waste. Play a conference game. This is stupid. I’m sorry, Dayton can get on a freakin bus today and be here for tomorrow.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Adding to that thought, this was a nationally televised spot in USA and the conference couldn’t figure out a conference game to play. Putrid.
8 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago It makes no fucking sense they didn’t reschedule the Dayton game for Sunday. None
Don’t know if they could book a charter here in time
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Adding to that thought, this was a nationally televised spot in USA and the conference couldn’t figure out a conference game to play. Putrid.
As many mentioned, travel is presently an issue because of Covid. This is especially a problem with flying. The only easy drive-able A-10 opponents without a Covid pause were UMass and Fordham and they are already scheduled to be playing each other Sunday.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Just end the season and hire Archie.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Is this new game still going to be nationally televised?
USA Network is still showing the Davidson at VCU game at 2:30pm which we know has been postponed

I'd be surprised if this game is televised

Not doing much for my Attendance Prediction contest.

But I'll be in the stands to help add to the attendance total :D
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

American International College?
AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE?!

Was Touro University International too much of a stretch?
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Is this new game still going to be nationally televised?
USA Network is still showing the Davidson at VCU game at 2:30pm which we know has been postponed

I applaud you and the 14 others in attendance for your commitment to Rhody MBB.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We had a date with Ruth Buzzi but she cancelled. Luckily for us Margaret Hamilton accepted our invitation.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago I applaud you and the 14 others in attendance for your commitment to Rhody MBB.

It would seem that URI is well aware that attendance might suffer for a non d1 opponent, especially during a health crisis pandemic. Note that the free ticket to a future game promo IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO THOSE THAT GO TO THE AIC GAME. It would appear that this is an enticement to get some fans there tomorrow.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 2 years ago

I applaud you and the 14 others in attendance for your commitment to Rhody MBB.
The 15 of us will let you all know how the new new beer in the seats operation flows
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Waiter:
"I'm sorry sir. But we just sold our last shit sandwich."

Thorr Bjorn:
"That's really disappointing. I came here just for that."

Waiter:
"May I interest you in our Soup of the Day?"

Thorr Bjorn:
"Only if it's Cream of Diarrhea."
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Answers some questions and concerns.
Good that the players will finally be able to get on the court

KINGSTON, R.I. – Rhode Island will host American International in a non-conference game Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.

The Rams were looking for a game after having four consecutive contests either canceled or postponed as a result of COVID-related issues. URI was originally scheduled to host La Salle on Sunday, but the Explorers were unable to play due to COVID issues within its program.

American International is a Division II program that competes in the Northeast-10 Conference. Based in Springfield, Mass., AIC last played the Rams during the 1941-42 season.

Rhode Island was in communication with a handful of Division I programs about playing. A variety of issues – including travel logistics, COVID concerns and other schools already having matchups in place – prevented several possibilities.

The Rams last played on Dec. 13 at Milwaukee. When URI takes the court Sunday, it will be 20 days between games for the team.

All current full season, mini plan, single game and group ticket buyers holding a ticket for tomorrow against La Salle can present that same ticket for entry tomorrow against American International College. The same ticket and seat location will apply.

In addition, the Ryan Center ticket office will be offering a complimentary ticket offer to each paid ticket account holder in attendance for a future home game of your choice in February/March. A ticket link with that exclusive offer will be sent out later next week.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Amazing to think we have reached the nadir of the Cox era and we haven’t even played the game yet.
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago AIC last played the Rams during the 1941-42 season.
I remember an exhibition against them at Keaney.
Wanna say 1986…
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

So if you go to the game against the list min scheduled D2 program, we’ll give you free tix to watch our mediocre at best team play another mediocre team at a later date…. Problem is many people that will end up going tomorrow are season ticket holders who already have tix for the rest of the year.
2 x