Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago To be effective against Omacron, you need the booster. Current percentage of Rhode Islanders with booster, 27%. Ugh
It's Omicron, at least spell it right :roll:
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Over two years, 3000 people have died with/due/from Covid. Each year Cancer is the second leading cause of death in Rhode Island. Between 1995 and 2015, the number of cancer deaths, was 2,330 each year on average. Yeah, each year almost as many people die from cancer as have died from Covid in two years. So tell me your priorities and what you are scared of. You are more likely to die from cancer in this state than from Covid.
Not sure why but here goes…

1. Cancer isn’t a transmissible disease

2. Isn’t there an awful lot of effort and money poured into cancer prevention and treatment?
1. Cancer is not a transmissible disease but there are environmental factors that can contribute to it. Asbestos is a low-hanging fruit example of that. Essentially, anything around you can cause cancer, whether you know it or not.

2. With those who have cancer, there are radiation and chemotherapy as "treatments" but there's really no true prevention. From personal experience, a woman who has "treatable" breast cancer has to take medications for years, such as Letrozole, which can lessen the chance of cancer reoccurring but in theory, there is no actual cure. I will confidently tell you that if someone goes through radiation and chemotherapy treatment for cancer, they're never the same. The effort and money that these fun tutu and pink 5k's in actuality don't really go into the true treatment and cure of cancer. It's a lot of hooplah.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Over two years, 3000 people have died with/due/from Covid. Each year Cancer is the second leading cause of death in Rhode Island. Between 1995 and 2015, the number of cancer deaths, was 2,330 each year on average. Yeah, each year almost as many people die from cancer as have died from Covid in two years. So tell me your priorities and what you are scared of. You are more likely to die from cancer in this state than from Covid.

2. Isn’t there an awful lot of effort and money poured into cancer prevention and treatment?
1. Cancer is not a transmissible disease but there are environmental factors that can contribute to it. Asbestos is a low-hanging fruit example of that. Essentially, anything around you can cause cancer, whether you know it or not.

2. With those who have cancer, there are radiation and chemotherapy as "treatments" but there's really no true prevention. From personal experience, a woman who has "treatable" breast cancer has to take medications for years, such as Letrozole, which can lessen the chance of cancer reoccurring but in theory, there is no actual cure. I will confidently tell you that if someone goes through radiation and chemotherapy treatment for cancer, they're never the same. The effort and money that these fun tutu and pink 5k's in actuality don't really go into the true treatment and cure of cancer. It's a lot of hooplah.
My wife had 6 months of chemo 19 years ago. She's fine, thanks.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago We’re so, so fucked.

Can i get a dinner first? If not at least spit on it first.
And you deserve special treatment because.....why?
Because I’m better than you
0 x
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago We’re so, so fucked.

Can i get a dinner first? If not at least spit on it first.
Pretty low bar...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago everything woke turns to shit

I am soooo out of this state once inventory gets bigger down south

I choose to live and be happy vs this bullshit going on in my state

This state blows !!!

CUT STATE BAIT !

LOL I am going to The Keys next month. I might not come back!!!! :lol: :D

CUT MCKEE BAIT!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

My comment has zero to do with your specific personal experience. I would hope that you'd be more conscientious and understanding of other people's stories. The privilege you try to profess is stagnant.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

My comment has zero to do with your specific personal experience. I would hope that you'd be more conscientious and understanding of other people's stories. The privilege you try to profess is stagnant.
Yeah, thanks for the kind words.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

Pretty low bar...
Irrelevant
0 x
:lol:
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

My guess is that two thirds of the crowd at the PC game either went maskless or wore it on their chin the entire time. I chose to wear mine, and my daughters did, too. I have to help with caregiving for my 87 and 89 year old parents and am trying to protect them as much as possible (a mask in crowds and more testing the past month).
No one is an expert in the best course of action these days, despite some people thinking they are. We’re all trying to navigate things as best we can and these are my personal choices at present. I want to continue to go to my parents’ house and I don’t want them worried each time I arrive.
Perhaps some of my behaviors would be different if I didn’t have this situation.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..amen……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago My guess is that two thirds of the crowd at the PC game either went maskless or wore it on their chin the entire time. I chose to wear mine, and my daughters did, too. I have to help with caregiving for my 87 and 89 year old parents and am trying to protect them as much as possible (a mask in crowds and more testing the past month).
No one is an expert in the best course of action these days, despite some people thinking they are. We’re all trying to navigate things as best we can and these are my personal choices at present. I want to continue to go to my parents’ house and I don’t want them worried each time I arrive.
Perhaps some of my behaviors would be different if I didn’t have this situation.
Did they ask for proof of vax upon entering as in the Ryan Center?

At the PC-URI game masks and proof of vax were not required and nobody had masks on - and it was very crowded being a sell out.

Was last night sold out?

I think it was a mistake for the government to not require masks and proof of vax from the beginning, once you don’t, then try to implement it’s going to be next to impossible. I’m surprised even 1/3 had them on,
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago My guess is that two thirds of the crowd at the PC game either went maskless or wore it on their chin the entire time. I chose to wear mine, and my daughters did, too. I have to help with caregiving for my 87 and 89 year old parents and am trying to protect them as much as possible (a mask in crowds and more testing the past month).

At the PC-URI game masks and proof of vax were not required and nobody had masks on - and it was very crowded being a sell out.

Was last night sold out?

I think it was a mistake for the government to not require masks and proof of vax from the beginning, once you don’t, then try to implement it’s going to be next to impossible. I’m surprised even 1/3 had them on,
Don't forget. We're talking about mostly poorly educated (Trumps favorite kind of person!) PC fans here. What do you expect?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Was last night sold out?

Don't forget. We're talking about mostly poorly educated (Trumps favorite kind of person!) PC fans here. What do you expect?
Sorry Billyboy but Trumps favorite kind of person is an American. Believe it or not many Trump supporters are well educated and are not racists!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

Was last night sold out?

Sorry Billyboy but Trumps favorite kind of person is an American. Believe it or not many Trump supporters are well educated and are not racists!
Ummm....that's not what I said.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Why aren’t players also wearing masks? I see most coaches wear them but even they are pretty loose with the wearing of them. They should be disciplined (players) and fined (coaches) if they don’t wear or they become chin straps.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Was last night sold out?

When you say Trumps favorite kind of person is an American, if you mean white, male and Republican (except for the ones who don't bow at his feet like Cheney and Kinsinger), I might agree. I tend to think his only favorite person is his narcissistic self. But anyway, this forum used to be fun. It's not fun anymore. All I do is get pissed off when I come here. I try to ignore all of the misinformed posts, but I can't. Getting all worked up is bad for my health. It seems all I do is argue with people who are helping prolong this pandemic and defend one of the worst human beings on this planet. Let's hope we can have a great basketball team some time in the near future. That's why we all came here in the first place. Go Rhody! See ya.
5 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Was last night sold out?

Sorry, but I don't think Trump's favorite kind of person is an Asian-American, Haitian-American, Arab-American, etc. I think his favorites are white Americans. Many Trump supporters are not well-educated. Among whites, 64% of those without a college degree voted for Trump.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

When you say Trumps favorite kind of person is an American, if you mean white, male and Republican (except for the ones who don't bow at his feet like Cheney and Kinsinger), I might agree. I tend to think his only favorite person is his narcissistic self. But anyway, this forum used to be fun. It's not fun anymore. All I do is get pissed off when I come here. I try to ignore all of the misinformed posts, but I can't. Getting all worked up is bad for my health. It seems all I do is argue with people who are helping prolong this pandemic and defend one of the worst human beings on this planet. Let's hope we can have a great basketball team some time in the near future. That's why we all came here in the first place. Go Rhody! See ya.
Well ..if you didn't think you had all the answers where there are none (this includes trashing everyone else's thoughts), you might not get so worked up. That is a boatload of pressure to put on one's self.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Was last night sold out?

Getting back to the initial point, I was not asked for proof of vaccination last night. I will add that I had my card photo ready on my phone for the URI-BU game, and there was no line when I arrived.
If the game wasn’t sold out, it was pretty close.
I follow science and don’t dismiss at hand every government directive, but I’m also practical. There’s the government directive or mandate and then there are the people out in the world that are supposed to enforce them. Many places don’t have the staff to enforce things like mask wearing and the people that refuse to wear a mask know it. It’s really not fair to any employee to be put in a position to enforce mask wearing. They don’t get paid enough to put up with grief and, in some cases, potentially assaulted. Plus, many places are short staffed. Any of these directives or mandates need to be enforced at the manager/owner level, but let’s face it, they don’t want to be doing this either. Bottom line: mask wearing can never be 100% enforced, especially in larger stores. Each person needs to make his or her own choices. Stay away from unmasked folks if you’re nervous, go at odd hours when the store is not as crowded, shop on line and do store pickup if you need to.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

Was last night sold out?

Getting back to the initial point, I was not asked for proof of vaccination last night. I will add that I had my card photo ready on my phone for the URI-BU game, and there was no line when I arrived.
If the game wasn’t sold out, it was pretty close.
I follow science and don’t dismiss at hand every government directive, but I’m also practical. There’s the government directive or mandate and then there are the people out in the world that are supposed to enforce them. Many places don’t have the staff to enforce things like mask wearing and the people that refuse to wear a mask know it. It’s really not fair to any employee to be put in a position to enforce mask wearing. They don’t get paid enough to put up with grief and, in some cases, potentially assaulted. Plus, many places are short staffed. Any of these directives or mandates need to be enforced at the manager/owner level, but let’s face it, they don’t want to be doing this either. Bottom line: mask wearing can never be 100% enforced, especially in larger stores. Each person needs to make his or her own choices. Stay away from unmasked folks if you’re nervous, go at odd hours when the store is not as crowded, shop on line and do store pickup if you need to.
Meant to add that I wasn’t asked for proof of vaccination at the URI-BU game.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

enough already

off the masks and enjoy your life

stop being so afraid of your own shadow

if you are high risk then take the precautions but turn off the tv and stop listening to media w their own intentions telling you how to live your life

this is America - the land of the FREE !

now lets play some fucking basketball
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago enough already

if you are high risk then take the precautions but turn off the tv and stop listening to media w their own intentions telling you how to live your life

B-b-but I CAN'T enjoy life unless YOU wear a mask. :roll:
2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago enough already

B-b-but I CAN'T enjoy life unless YOU wear a mask. :roll:
Dude, we get it, you don’t like wearing a mask. You don’t have to wear one in most places. No one will call you out at most places. I can’t tell if you’re preaching that no one should. If you are, just let them make their own decisions. If you aren’t, then I apologize.
If we played a drinking every time and took a shot each time we read that you didn’t like mask wearing, we’d all be hammered. 😀 Given the situation we’re in, maybe that wouldn’t be a bad thing.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

Sorry, but I don't think “Trump's favorite kind of person is an Asian-American, Haitian-American, Arab-American, etc. “ I think his favorites are white Americans. Many Trump supporters are not well-educated. Among whites, 64% of those without a college degree voted for Trump.
Hey Mike Morten. U say that Trumps favorite Americans are not Asian Americans, Arab Americans etc. , —Based on your opinion? Your opinion , like most anti Trump people is based on the constant media frenzy and Democratic Trump Derangement comments and actions .
When asked for facts supporting that position, it is usually crickets

Furthermore, do us really believe that u have to be college educated (and indoctrinated) to have common sense ?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sorry, but I don't think Trump's favorite kind of person is an Asian-American, Haitian-American, Arab-American, etc. I think his favorites are white Americans. Many Trump supporters are not well-educated. Among whites, 64% of those without a college degree voted for Trump.
Are you still believing in polls? Seriously?
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Was last night sold out?

LMAO most of the PC alums and fans I know are raging liberals and actually heavily involved in the local DNC causes.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Dude. It's clear you know ZIP about political parties and how people vote.

It's the Democrats who are actually the uneducated and misinformed voters. The liberal elite (ahem, Pelosi, Biden, Obama, McKee/Matos, Raimondo, Gorbea, Eloozer, Davey C, Sheldon) who prey on these people for votes claiming they're going to "help them". If people took a step back and looked at all of their track records and the decisions they've made in the past, absolutely no one would have ever voted for any of them.

Republicans are fiscally conservative and believe in less government. I'm broadly Libertarian. I have zero trust in big government nor do I think that the government has any right to implement any kind of medical decision on my body.

I also back our military and our first responders, which are essentially branded as un-American by the MSM.

I don't care if a married same-sex couple is protecting their weed plants with their firearms. Good for them!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

So you're only "well-educated" if you have a college degree?

I have friends in the trades who are very smart, make six figures, and do not have a college degree.

Next time you have an electrical problem in your house and call up an electrician, I hope you're okay with him maybe not being "well-educated" with a four-year degree. You probably don't even know if you have 100A or 200A service coming into your house.

Yikes, the white liberal male privilege on this board is rancid.
5 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We need some basketball
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago We need some basketball
Agreed. With all the Covid pauses in sports and other Covid related news on a daily basis, this thread will reach 100 pages by spring.
1 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Folks I know who were at the Dunk last night estimated 80% or so wore masks. I was surprised.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The problem with all of this bullshit political stuff?

ZERO tolerance. Both "sides" are guilty.

It's either my way or the highway.

Most people in this country don't identify as left or right, most have views on both sides of the aisle [like myself], but all you hear is oh blame everything on liberals...or far right wackjobs.....

You would think it's a big parade...left right left right left right....it's pathetic...and I'm sick of it. The media foments it ad nauseum, every day.

We are AMERICANS, pure and simple.

Back in the day, the media used to report the news objectively, that's their job.

Not any more. You're either for us or against us. You're either a fascist or communist.

And don't get me started about Congress.

This country is on it's way down the rabbit hole. About the only thing that's good about getting old, is that I won't be around to see this country implode.

As the old saying goes, we have met the enemy, and it is us.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Agreed. With all the Covid pauses in sports and other Covid related news on a daily basis, this thread will reach 100 pages by spring.
……..agreed, it is becoming like an attended car wreck you go past, cringe, then turn around to take another look……..guilty as charged here……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
……..agreed, it is becoming like an attended car wreck you go past, cringe, then turn around to take another look……..guilty as charged here……..
I heard Trump is running in 2024.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago Folks I know who were at the Dunk last night estimated 80% or so wore masks. I was surprised.
No way. Maybe in the lobby and his or her immediate area, but not in the sections near me. Definitely less than half wearing them.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

I heard Trump is running in 2024.
I’ve always believed he will run again. He likes the limelight too much and once his sycophants praise him and tell him to run, he’ll be all in.
Plus, he’s had a bug up his ass regarding Obama since 2011. No way can he take Obama being a two term president and him only being a one term president.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We got 5K fan games getting canceled in RI, and I just watched Purdue beat Tennesee in front of 50K. What a world. Awesome game by the way.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Covid article about person getting Covid twice and how things have changed since the first infection:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/just-tested- ... 46405.html
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Don't overlook Michigan at UCF...not a lot of empty seats, but not a lot of you know what either. Always been a Fab 5 fan, looks like Howard just picked up a T. I think it might be because he finally realized how ridiculous that quarter zip short sleeved rain hoodie looks?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago We got 5K fan games getting canceled in RI, and I just watched Purdue beat Tennesee in front of 50K. What a world. Awesome game by the way.
I don't understand the point of this comment. Our games weren't canceled due to anything with fans, they were canceled because players had Covid
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Don't overlook Michigan at UCF...not a lot of empty seats, but not a lot of you know what either. Always been a Fab 5 fan, looks like Howard just picked up a T. I think it might be because he finally realized how ridiculous that quarter zip short sleeved rain hoodie looks?
And in other news, General Franco is still dead.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Don't overlook Michigan at UCF...not a lot of empty seats, but not a lot of you know what either. Always been a Fab 5 fan, looks like Howard just picked up a T. I think it might be because he finally realized how ridiculous that quarter zip short sleeved rain hoodie looks?
And in other news, General Franco is still dead.
Not true....he doesn't always wear a ridiculous looking hoodie like that
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UConn delays residential student move-in, elects for remote classes at beginning of spring semester
https://dailycampus.com/2021/12/31/ucon ... -semester/

The first two weeks of classes for the spring 2022 semester will be online only.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've become indifferent to all of this....

Just get thru it and move on.....a couple months from now we'll be on the other side of this.

Nothing else we can do anyway.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I've become indifferent to all of this....

Just get thru it and move on.....a couple months from now we'll be on the other side of this.

Nothing else we can do anyway.
Yep...few months from now, on the other side, then a decent summer...late fall/winter, people start to get sick again, we go back to where we are now, rinse, repeat. The song that never ends. Just curious how long the disparity between how this is handled regionally continues.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, let's hope the Army vaccine works to stop all variants, so that we won't have to deal with another Omicron next winter.

Or if we continue to get new variants, that they continue to get less serious.

Otherwise, you're right, the cycle will continue for who knows how long.

I think medical science will find a way. Sooner rather than later.

Here's a question: What will happen first?

The end of the pandemic, or URI makes the Dance again?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago We got 5K fan games getting canceled in RI, and I just watched Purdue beat Tennesee in front of 50K. What a world. Awesome game by the way.
I don't understand the point of this comment. Our games weren't canceled due to anything with fans, they were canceled because players had Covid
I get that, but the share difference of caution in general is incredible. The odds that someone has Covid out of 50 thousand people has to be high.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
I get that, but the share difference of caution in general is incredible. The odds that someone has Covid out of 50 thousand people has to be high.
Has nothing to do with odds. It's regional/geographic.
0 x