Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago The President from 2020 has nothing to do with the Covid situation today.
Thankfully he's not around today...because we'd be a lot worse off with him interfering with CDC/NIH and his clown Atlas advising on Covid. (Remember when Mr. 2020 said we should stop testing so much.) Yes, it would be worse than we are now because vaccinations, boosting, and masking would be less than it is now.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago It's always about Trump. Not the sack of lying doctor that's still on tv, that people want...for whatever reason...to be their family doctor...nope.... Trump.
Let me know when you get out of your echo chamber.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This article describes in detail Dr Fauci change of opinion on mask effectiveness....

https://reason.com/2021/06/04/anthony-f ... oronavirus.
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Hospitalizations are going up due to the unvaccinated. Omicron isn't less serious for them.

More fear mongering.
The misinformation is mind-boggling. Unfortunately, my wife sees more doctors in a week than most people see in a year. (multiple medical disciplines). To a person, these docs have said hospitalization rates have to do more with the flu vaccine (less effective this year) than Covid. Tests are reporting positive when people don't have Covid.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago This article describes in detail Dr Fauci change of opinion on mask effectiveness....

https://reason.com/2021/06/04/anthony-f ... oronavirus.
But...but...but..... TRUMP!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago It's always about Trump. Not the sack of lying doctor that's still on tv, that people want...for whatever reason...to be their family doctor...nope.... Trump.
Let me know when you get out of your echo chamber.
Sure, right after you let me know when you-know-who no longer has rent free space in your head. (My guess is that happens right after never)
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I honestly don't know where people get there "news" from, or who they listen to. But maybe it's time to find another source of information?
My news comes from watching the briefings. I didn't get it 2nd hand. I saw it and heard it all by myself...
Did you watch Fauci say, in the briefings..."no need for masks"? Did you catch that part?

I don't see how anyone can really be believed. You (should) know you can't believe politicians...and you can't believe Fauci...so... exactly who are we believin' these daze? Who do you trust, a name, not "the people that do this stuff for a living"...an actual name. (I'll get this part out of the way for you, "certainly not your orange hero!". There, now g'head).
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Omicron has quickly overtaken Delta

From todays Boston Globe
9445D4F8-B2BD-4816-AA08-99789DC64AC8.png
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

A little bit OT, but I have to say the having to wear mask sucked all of the 'la's out of my fa-la-la-la-la while Christmas shopping yesterday and left me with nothing but a "fa k this".... I usually take the week off before Christmas to get out there with the crowds and shop this mess around...with masks, it just sucks and I can't wait to get the h back outside... I can't imagine having to wear one all day, or even two hours for a game.

Ok, ready, set, go on the...."my _____ wears a mask all day and is therefore a hero" bits...
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

This has been stated ad nauseum, but when new scientific data emerges (i.e. in early 2020 when no one knew anything about this virus vs 8 months into the pandemic) guidance evolves with it. When Fauci said no masks, they weren't yet aware that a large portion of people who get infected get infected from people who were without symptoms. People who are salivating at the opportunity to call a non-political public health official a 'LIAR!" just doesn't understand the basic concept of how research works. When medical technologies are improved over the years to evolve with groundbreaking research on treatments, no one calls these researchers liars or question "who we beleivin' these daze". They just evolved and adapted to new information. These people would rather believe the government is out to get us or control us or whatever. It's kind of sad, actually.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ram1019 wrote: 2 years ago This has been stated ad nauseum, but when new scientific data emerges (i.e. in early 2020 when no one knew anything about this virus vs 8 months into the pandemic) guidance evolves with it. When Fauci said no masks, they weren't yet aware that a large portion of people who get infected get infected from people who were without symptoms. People who are salivating at the opportunity to call a non-political public health official a 'LIAR!" just doesn't understand the basic concept of how research works. When medical technologies are improved over the years to evolve with groundbreaking research on treatments, no one calls these researchers liars or question "who we beleivin' these daze". They just evolved and adapted to new information. These people would rather believe the government is out to get us or control us or whatever. It's kind of sad, actually.
I’d encourage you to read this article I posted regarding masks and who knew what when

https://reason.com/2021/06/04/anthony-f ... oronavirus
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..reference to the Cancellation=Forfeiture topics, and masks next season……..I chimed in on that with a no……..but, the longer this evolving pandemic continues and the variants seem to to prevent getting to the criteria toward the endemic stage, masks in some settings(air travel, large venues etc)are going to become an individual choice, and individual responsibility to do what tools, if any you want to use………including none……..the public health response will remain in some fashion or another……..they are gonna do what they do……..take the known risks associated with any out of the house behavior and moving on…….gonna sit in RC next year, yep…….just me…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ram1019 wrote: 2 years ago This has been stated ad nauseum, but when new scientific data emerges (i.e. in early 2020 when no one knew anything about this virus vs 8 months into the pandemic) guidance evolves with it. When Fauci said no masks, they weren't yet aware that a large portion of people who get infected get infected from people who were without symptoms. People who are salivating at the opportunity to call a non-political public health official a 'LIAR!" just doesn't understand the basic concept of how research works. When medical technologies are improved over the years to evolve with groundbreaking research on treatments, no one calls these researchers liars or question "who we beleivin' these daze". They just evolved and adapted to new information. These people would rather believe the government is out to get us or control us or whatever. It's kind of sad, actually.
It is sad. What you posit seems reasonable, except he did lie and he admitted it... And, yes, this particular batch of politicos does want to control us. If you lie, and then later on say it's "for our own good'... it's still a lie.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Did anyone read where Bill O'Reilly on his podcast had Trump with him, and they both said get the booster....and they were booed by the audience?

What morons.

I don't agree with Trump on much, but at least he's come to his senses on this...and these wackos are truly beyond hope.

What a fucked up world we live in.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I honestly don't know where people get there "news" from, or who they listen to. But maybe it's time to find another source of information?
My news comes from watching the briefings. I didn't get it 2nd hand. I saw it and heard it all by myself...
Did you watch Fauci say, in the briefings..."no need for masks"? Did you catch that part?

I don't see how anyone can really be believed. You (should) know you can't believe politicians...and you can't believe Fauci...so... exactly who are we believin' these daze? Who do you trust, a name, not "the people that do this stuff for a living"...an actual name. (I'll get this part out of the way for you, "certainly not your orange hero!". There, now g'head).
I see you constantly defending Trump....so I assume you're a fan.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The threat to democracy in this country is real...and Trump made it possible with his insistence that the 2020 election was stolen. And millions believed him.

Now the GOP has the avenue to restrict voting rights and stay in power. And it's working.

Trump will eventually be gone, but what he spawned will have grave consequences down the road.

I truly fear for my children and grandchildren, and I'm not alone, not by a long shot.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm not a fan of any politician. I wouldn't say I'm defending him...I'm just marveling at how he's still in so many people's heads. It's really quite remarkable.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The threat to democracy in this country is real...and Trump made it possible with his insistence that the 2020 election was stolen. And millions believed him.

Now the GOP has the avenue to restrict voting rights and stay in power. And it's working.

Trump will eventually be gone, but what he spawned will have grave consequences down the road.

I truly fear for my children and grandchildren, and I'm not alone, not by a long shot.
And we could go on and on about things he's done to destroy this country, but I guess we should stick to COVID. (I'll wait for his loyal followers to defend him/bow at his feet.)
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not a fan of any politician. I wouldn't say I'm defending him...I'm just marveling at how he's still in so many people's heads. It's really quite remarkable.
Well, the country is a fucking mess because of him, but other than that, I guess I can put him out of mind.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well, the country is a fucking mess because of him, but other than that, I guess I can put him out of mind.
Mess, yes. Would defer responsibility for that to who (or what)ever is in charge. Man, I'm worried about you...when he gets elected again, your head is going to explode...at least be in a place where it's an easy cleanup?
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Omicron has quickly overtaken Delta

From todays Boston Globe

Here's a good thread from Brown University's Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH.

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Mess, yes. Would defer responsibility for that to who (or what)ever is in charge. Man, I'm worried about you...when he gets elected again, your head is going to explode...at least be in a place where it's an easy cleanup?
I'm pretty sure whoever is in charge wasn't responsible for January 6th, one of the darkest days in our country's history. But whatever. I'm done. Thinking about what he's done to our once proud country makes me sick.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is a view on Omicron, might help some to relax a bit

“Inside the Omicron Fear Factory”

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/inside ... ork-covid/
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does anybody believe this?

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Does anybody believe this?

Dr FeableDing?
I do have to admit...Spike Ferritin sounds like a cool name...like for an actor or a race car driver.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We'll have to wait and see I guess?

Nano nano nano......sounds like something out of Caddyshack.......lol

Seriously, if this is true, wonder what big pharma will do with this?

Could threaten their profits...uh oh
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Here is a view on Omicron, might help some to relax a bit

“Inside the Omicron Fear Factory”

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/inside ... ork-covid/
Good article.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

“With Omicron, there's no way really to escape this virus. You're not going to be able to avoid it. So I think pretty soon either the whole world will be vaccinated or have been infected,” Modjarrad said.

Interesting comment from the article. Could ask don’t you think then you are a little late to the party? If pretty some tge whole world either is vaccinated or has gotten the Covid then what dies your new vaccine do? What are the benefits? Why keep moving forward on this project?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

“With Omicron, there's no way really to escape this virus. You're not going to be able to avoid it. So I think pretty soon either the whole world will be vaccinated or have been infected,” Modjarrad said.

Interesting comment from the article. Could ask don’t you think then you are a little late to the party? If pretty some tge whole world either is vaccinated or has gotten the Covid then what dies your new vaccine do? What are the benefits? Why keep moving forward on this project?
Because, so far, everyone has been wrong about everything and not seeing any indication that the streak is about to end anytime soon?

ETA..I can't figure out the sarcastic font on my phone yet.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy,
You have mentioned your daughter works as a nurse at a hospital, right?

So a few questions I have from reading this board and reading other sources (yes KB is not my only source :lol:

I have read Onicron does not appear to be entering the lungs. True? Is your daughters hospital seeing fewer people being intubated?

Is it true hospitals don’t test for whether virus is delta or omicron or other? So all just come in and get treated the same, based on symptoms?

I’ve read a lot of people in hospitals now are for the flu. Is this true? Because last year not many got flu so this can be a worse flu year?

How is the omicron compared to the delta variant from what they are seeing?

And my final question, however dumb it might sound, but what does your daughter think of the Ryan Center requiring vax proof and mask wearing yet the Dunk requires zero vax proof and no masks even though we knew Omicron was coming.

What advice does she have for vaxed and boostered old alums like me? And my family?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

From todays Boston Globe

Good thread smarty,

I think he might be understating the speed with which Omicron will spread throughout the US and globally.

Seems to be spreading very, very fast in NY and in New England. Not only speed but it seems to be spreading to vaccinated and to unvaccinated people in big numbers. Unvaxed could get natural immunity in the near future.

We may be out of this Covid mess by means of Omicron and back to normal life sooner than we all thought - could be Rambone was right in predicting the future.

Makes me sometimes wonder if the whole world should drop the masks, deal with the omicron and get back to travel, games, school, work, cruises and all the rest of how life was 2 years ago.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Billyboy,

So a few questions I have from reading this board and reading other sources (yes KB is not my only source :lol:

I have read Onicron does not appear to be entering the lungs. True? Is your daughters hospital seeing fewer people being intubated?

Is it true hospitals don’t test for whether virus is delta or omicron or other? So all just come in and get treated the same, based on symptoms?

I’ve read a lot of people in hospitals now are for the flu. Is this true? Because last year not many got flu so this can be a worse flu year?

And my final question, however dumb it might sound, but what does your daughter think of the Ryan Center requiring vax proof and mask wearing yet the Dunk requires zero vax proof and no masks even though we knew Omicron was coming.

What advice does she have for vaxed and boostered old alums like me? And my family?
She works on the oncology floor but occasionally gets moved to the COVID floor. But, I'll ask her.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article on current hospital situation

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/health-care-w ... 10182.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

She works on the oncology floor but occasionally gets moved to the COVID floor. But, I'll ask her.
I just attached an article on hospital conditions. Doesn’t sound too good. Thanks.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

From todays Boston Globe

Good thread smarty,

I think he might be understating the speed with which Omicron will spread throughout the US and globally.

Seems to be spreading very, very fast in NY and in New England. Not only speed but it seems to be spreading to vaccinated and to unvaccinated people in big numbers. Unvaxed could get natural immunity in the near future.

We may be out of this Covid mess by means of Omicron and back to normal life sooner than we all thought - could be Rambone was right in predicting the future.

Makes me sometimes wonder if the whole world should drop the masks, deal with the omicron and get back to travel, games, school, work, cruises and all the rest of how life was 2 years ago.
Look at South Africa's data right now. Their cases are almost entirely omicron and their cases have been declining very fast over the last few days. Cases grew very fast and are now falling off very fast. Every single report I've heard out of South Africa is that omicron is far less severe than delta, but way more contagious and doesn't care about your vaccinated status.

So this could mean that since omicron is more so a cold and spreads like wildfire, restrictions, masks, vaccination status etc. will prove obsolete.

We won't be able to slow the spread and that won't be consequential because the variant is so weak and we can all just sing koombaya!
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Look at South Africa's data right now. Their cases are almost entirely omicron and their cases have been declining very fast over the last few days. Cases grew very fast and are now falling off very fast. Every single report I've heard out of South Africa is that omicron is far less severe than delta, but way more contagious and doesn't care about your vaccinated status.

So this could mean that since omicron is more so a cold and spreads like wildfire, restrictions, masks, vaccination status etc. will prove obsolete.

We won't be able to slow the spread and that won't be consequential because the variant is so weak and we can all just sing koombaya!
My own recent personal experience with COVID was consistent with the above.

Me, my wife, and my son were all fully vaccinated, and all of us tested positive a few weeks ago for COVID. Symptoms were mild... headache, little to no fever, slight cough... only wife had slight lung congestion. My son and I did not have any breathing issues. My wife and I lost our sense of smell/taste for a while. The lost of smell/taste was what triggered me to get tested, not the cold-like symptoms.

Would be fantastic if omicron signaled the beginning of the end
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

My own recent personal experience with COVID was consistent with the above.

Me, my wife, and my son were all fully vaccinated, and all of us tested positive a few weeks ago for COVID. Symptoms were mild... headache, little to no fever, slight cough... only wife had slight lung congestion. My son and I did not have any breathing issues. My wife and I lost our sense of smell/taste for a while. The lost of smell/taste was what triggered me to get tested, not the cold-like symptoms.

Would be fantastic if omicron signaled the beginning of the end
Roady Jay,
Did you have Delta or Omicron?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

The ACC just modified their policy on Covid pauses and scheduling.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good thread smarty,

Peter Ram Time,

You are right on the South Africa data.
Look at the rapid run up in new cases and now the rapid decease. All with Deaths being unmoved.
C4866AFB-3AD4-4593-A5B9-4B846BE6C2F2.png
FF999D6F-94E8-4270-B8F5-3286B040A9D6.png
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Roady Jay,
I don’t know for sure, it didn’t come up in test results or in conversation with Dr., but I would assume Omicron based on PeterRamTime’s description of it.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

It is sad. What you posit seems reasonable, except he did lie and he admitted it... And, yes, this particular batch of politicos does want to control us. If you lie, and then later on say it's "for our own good'... it's still a lie.
Please cite your sources. I found nothing showing that Fauci admits to lying.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I’d encourage you to read this article I posted regarding masks and who knew what when

https://reason.com/2021/06/04/anthony-f ... oronavirus
Did you follow the links in the article that they use to "substantiate" their article? I did. I went through the "damning" Fauci emails and Reason definitely skewed their reporting to fit their narrative (a Libertarian publication - Libertarians don't want any government so they are against almost all government functions).
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Good thread smarty,

Peter Ram Time,

You are right on the South Africa data.
Look at the rapid run up in new cases and now the rapid decease. All with Deaths being unmoved.

C4866AFB-3AD4-4593-A5B9-4B846BE6C2F2.png

FF999D6F-94E8-4270-B8F5-3286B040A9D6.png
You realize the death rate trails the hospitalization rate? If I'm reading this correctly, the charts shows death rate up until December 6...while it shows cases thru December 18. So we will have to wait on the data...as the scientists have been saying. (They need more than just anecdotes.)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Guess we can only ride this wave to shore. Whatareyagonnado.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Guess we can only ride this wave to shore. Whatareyagonnado.
…….exactly……..FIPO……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Guess we can only ride this wave to shore. Whatareyagonnado.
Cause tho the truth may vary
This ship will carry our
Bodies safe to the shore

Of M+M
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
Roady Jay,
I don’t know for sure, it didn’t come up in test results or in conversation with Dr., but I would assume Omicron based on PeterRamTime’s description of it.
Your doctor or even the hospitals don’t know what variant you had. To find out requires DNA sequencing which is done by the CDC in random samples from each state. The samples are not identified back to the patient. It doesn’t really matter what variant you have to the healthcare system. You don’t get admitted to a hospital for Covid, you get admitted because your really sick, usually low oxygen levels and the treatment for the problems caused by either variant don’t change and there are no Covid treatments that are variant based.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Here's her answer, Ramster. Like I said, she only occasionally works with COVID patients.

I don’t have access to patients charts that are hospitalized for covid so I have no idea who is on a ventilator or not, nor do I know if they test for variants. Only someone that works with covid patients would know. Everyone else is kept in the dark
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here's her answer, Ramster. Like I said, she only occasionally works with COVID patients.

I don’t have access to patients charts that are hospitalized for covid so I have no idea who is on a ventilator or not, nor do I know if they test for variants. Only someone that works with covid patients would know. Everyone else is kept in the dark
Thank you
0 x