12/19 | Charleston | 2:00PM (CANCELED)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 12/19 | Charleston | 2:00PM (FloSports??)

Unread post by RoadyJay »

It’s really frustrating that two years later we are still canceling games, events, etc.

The vast majority of the population is vaccinated.

No reason events should be canceled at this point.

We took the time to flatten the curve, we lost our jobs, we changed our way of life, we wore our masks, we took the vaccine.

Enough!
6 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Administration got off with this cancellation. To say the game not being televised is “out of their control” is nonsense. When you put a game on the schedule there can be a discussion and contract around television rights.

Also let’s not act like our games are some major media production. You need one semi-HD camera and audio for the announcers. We’re not expecting 17 angles, pregame b-roll and side line announcers
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..game cancelled………a predictable surprise………
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago So much for the CofC game not being televised rants :roll:
Yes, I think everyone would take a non televised game now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Administration got off with this cancellation. To say the game not being televised is “out of their control” is nonsense. When you put a game on the schedule there can be a discussion and contract around television rights.

Also let’s not act like our games are some major media production. You need one semi-HD camera and audio for the announcers. We’re not expecting 17 angles, pregame b-roll and side line announcers
Feel most bad for the players, coaches………and especially for all the family and friends of the players and coaches who were going to be in attendance for this game in DC. A great opportunity the weekend before Christmas to see (and hug) their loved ones.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And another just announced

Brown on Wednesday feels iffy

0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago Administration got off with this cancellation. To say the game not being televised is “out of their control” is nonsense. When you put a game on the schedule there can be a discussion and contract around television rights.

I agree to an extent. But what if a contract was drawn up with details on how they produce a stream to be sold to an outlet like FLOsports or ESPN+ etc. As the event gets closer, that falls through. What then, especially if it's covid related? Do we tell the event organizer to screw off and drop the game? That would hurt our schedule.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NCAA needs to adopt the NFL rules. Vaccinated players with no symptoms don't get tested.
5 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago And another just announced

Brown on Wednesday feels iffy

Given the Ivy League’s response in March, 2020, I think there’s a high probability the Brown game will be cancelled.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Stop testing players. Everyone has it. It’s mild. They’re not around at risk people and they’re not going to be adversely affected.

If they’re all vaccinated what’s the issue?

Is someone going to tell me the vaccine doesn’t work??
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I mailed the organizer, DC Events, to which they replied that there was never a broadcasting partner for the event.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago It’s really frustrating that two years later we are still canceling games, events, etc.

The vast majority of the population is vaccinated.

No reason events should be canceled at this point.

We took the time to flatten the curve, we lost our jobs, we changed our way of life, we wore our masks, we took the vaccine.

Enough!
It's so absolutely maddening I think I might spontaneously combust
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

At worse I think the Brown game will be postponed. Given the way the Ivy schedules its league games, it should be easy for two schools only 30 miles apart to find an alternate date.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago NCAA needs to adopt the NFL rules. Vaccinated players with no symptoms don't get tested.
Every sport needs to adopt this.

Only way to go on with each leagues season.
2 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Stop testing players. Everyone has it. It’s mild. They’re not around at risk people and they’re not going to be adversely affected.

Completely agree. When does this end? It’s not going away so what is the long term solution here? Are we just going to do this year after year after year? It doesn’t make any sense to me.

At some point we have to learn to live with this and take reasonable precautions. Canceling anything at this point is overreaching.

Im ready for the “you’re selfish” replies.
7 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Stop testing players. Everyone has it. It’s mild. They’re not around at risk people and they’re not going to be adversely affected.

What your saying is likely true. However, I don’t see any school administration taking a risk that could lead to a bad outcome. If word got out that players weren’t being tested and one ended up in the hospital, there would be a lot of “splainin” to do. I’m sure the school’s legal staffs have weighed in and stated you need to take steps to avoid future lawsuits.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago

What your saying is likely true. However, I don’t see any school administration taking a risk that could lead to a bad outcome. If word got out that players weren’t being tested and one ended up in the hospital, there would be a lot of “splainin” to do. I’m sure the school’s legal staffs have weighed in and stated you need to take steps to avoid future lawsuits.
I don’t think he is saying for URI to just stop testing players. Needs to be done at the NCAA level or whoever it is that enforces the COVID protocols
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Test everyone who is unvaccinated regularly.

Stop testing vaccinated asymptomatic athletes.

Test vaccinated athletes who are showing symptoms.

This is what every league needs to do.
3 x
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

I don’t think he is saying for URI to just stop testing players. Needs to be done at the NCAA level or whoever it is that enforces the COVID protocols
Oh yeah, I get that, and this does all seem like Groundhog Day. Maybe I just think about risk aversion from a legal standpoint too much, but we do live on a litigious society.
Since Covid will exist in some form for a while, does the NCAA need to adopt a system where all athletes and their guardians sign a waiver to be able to play? I don’t know: just spitballing with nothing else to do on a gray Sunday afternoon.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago

Oh yeah, I get that, and this does all seem like Groundhog Day. Maybe I just think about risk aversion from a legal standpoint too much, but we do live on a litigious society.
Since Covid will exist in some form for a while, does the NCAA need to adopt a system where all athletes and their guardians sign a waiver to be able to play? I don’t know: just spitballing with nothing else to do on a gray Sunday afternoon.
No, you’re totally right to think about it from a legal standpoint. That’s a big part of this for sure. No one wants to get sued over a protocol/policy. Waiver makes sense to me.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

The bad news is it sucks having ANY Rhody game cancelled. The ok news is this game and Brown does nothing for our resume expect potentially hurt it with a loss.

Hopefully we can get everything cleared up by the Dayton game.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago The bad news is it sucks having ANY Rhody game cancelled. The ok news is this game and Brown does nothing for our resume expect potentially hurt it with a loss.

………..if the Brown games gets cancelled, the word rust will creep its way into this board going forward to Dayton game…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago The bad news is it sucks having ANY Rhody game cancelled. The ok news is this game and Brown does nothing for our resume expect potentially hurt it with a loss.

lol there is ZERO reason to worry about our resume. How many times does it need to be stated we are not getting an at large, so I’d rather be able to attend a home game and lose to Brown than not play at all.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is a freakin joke. I just went to a concert at the Garden with 20 thousand people (with covid rules). But they can’t play this? The protocol has to change. NFL is updating theirs, everyone should follow.
3 x
GO RAMS
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Couldn’t agree more, why have we never cancelled anything over the Flu. Vaccinated college age kid are extreme low risk, we need to learn to live with this, not shut everything down over it. If they cancel the conference and NCAA tournaments again, that will destroy some of these kids college experience, let’s move on and live again.
Last edited by Mongo 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Selfishly? After that debacle of a Patriots game I was really looking forward to rooting for the Rams on my Sunday 😕
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

MBB is a game, nothing more. I wouldn't want to be on the same court as someone with Covid whether I had all my shots or not. It is not fair to the healthy to make their participation optional. If you can't field a healthy team, then call off the game.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago MBB is a game, nothing more. I wouldn't want to be on the same court as someone with Covid whether I had all my shots or not. It is not fair to the healthy to make their participation optional. If you can't field a healthy team, then call off the game.
So then why did you get the shot? Stay in your home the rest of forever if that’s legitimately your outlook on life.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The worst part about the game getting cancelled is that the board just continues on as another place on the internet for everyones shitty Covid takes. Game days are usually at least a short break from that where this is actually a basketball message board again, if only for a few hours at least.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago College basketball is about to get very messy Covid wise. I could say it already is
Or we could catch breaks and maybe pick up better games?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago MBB is a game, nothing more. I wouldn't want to be on the same court as someone with Covid whether I had all my shots or not. It is not fair to the healthy to make their participation optional. If you can't field a healthy team, then call off the game.
I'm betting you went to work with a bad cold and didn't think about anything but your paycheck.
3 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
So then why did you get the shot? Stay in your home the rest of forever if that’s legitimately your outlook on life.
Spoken like someone who hasn't lost a close friend this past week due to Covid.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

lol there is ZERO reason to worry about our resume. How many times does it need to be stated we are not getting an at large, so I’d rather be able to attend a home game and lose to Brown than not play at all.
Huh?? I'm well aware we are not going to receive a bid. I've said that like 5 times the last few days when discussing
it with people on the A10 outlook page... My point is I'd rather miss out on playing two bad teams which will only be potentially bad losses than miss out on playing a good Dayton team. Every single fan of this team would rather play these games.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

rhodyruckus wrote: 2 years ago

Sorry Rukus, my wife has been to two Covid funerals for members of her family in the last week. One was only 59. This whole thing sucks.
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago College basketball is about to get very messy Covid wise. I could say it already is
Or we could catch breaks and maybe pick up better games?
OOC is over. No “better” games to pick up.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago

Sorry Rukus, my wife has been to two Covid funerals for members of her family in the last week. One was only 59. This whole thing sucks.
Very sorry for your losses. Can you tell us if the people were vaccinated?
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Everyone has gone crazy. (Or its just what you get when everything is politicized!!!!!!!!!)

My understanding is that this Omi variety is extremely contagious BUT nothing more than a cold in the upper airways No lung involvement is my
understanding, so , obviouslt, cancelling events is plain stupid!!!!!!!!!

Watched Fauci spend time explaining how much more contagious it is and not say a word that is likely to not cause hospital admissions or deaths.

Dear Fauci, Also, why not talk about the RX's that are available that work-

"LETS' GO BRANDON" TIMES 5
6 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

As someone who in Fall of 2020 “survived” COVID, after it went through my office like wildfire, I think the “science” is absolutely OFF. I am being followed by the COVID docs at Brown, and even they say “they don’t know what they don’t know about it.”

I agree that vaccinated, asymptotic college athletes should not be constantly tested. If this continues, we may never go back to life as usual.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago ...

I am fully vaccinated. With the virus spreading so quickly, I've reduced contact with others, particularly those not vaccinated, as much as possible and I wear a mask whenever I am out and around others.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

I am fully vaccinated. With the virus spreading so quickly, I've reduced contact with others, particularly those not vaccinated, as much as possible and I wear a mask whenever I am out and around others.
If Cox didn’t wear a mask 24/7, would you do the same?
3 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not much faith in that vaxx huh?
3 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

rhodylocal wrote: 2 years ago

I did not find out whether he was, and now was not the time to prod his wife or family. Not much talk about his actual death at the wake. He was not very old but also over 300 lbs, so I would not assume one way or the other.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Everyone has gone crazy. (Or its just what you get when everything is politicized!!!!!!!!!)

My understanding is that this Omi variety is extremely contagious BUT nothing more than a cold in the upper airways No lung involvement is my
understanding, so , obviouslt, cancelling events is plain stupid!!!!!!!!!

Watched Fauci spend time explaining how much more contagious it is and not say a word that is likely to not cause hospital admissions or deaths.

Dear Fauci, Also, why not talk about the RX's that are available that work-

"LETS' GO BRANDON" TIMES 5
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Sorry for interrupting y'alls political rallies, maybe I'll be back sometime after the pandemic.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This thread is embarrassing. Half a mind to nuke it.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

rhodylocal wrote: 2 years ago

One didn’t believe in the vaccine. He was 59. The second was fully vaccinated but elderly. Both are sad.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

1) OK, you realize when we started with the COVID vaccines in May/June, scientists and doctors knew they were safe and effective? That's why you saw your COVID rates drop immediately. Positivity rates, hospitalizations and deaths were all down in June thru August. That was simple cause and effect. And the summer was good. HOWEVER, those same scientists and doctors explained at that time that they did not know how long the vaccines' immunity would last. And that there would likely be surges because we didn't get enough of the population vaccinated. As it's been repeated, they learn more every day based on data and that's why the recommendations change. The science around the virus and the vaccines evolves as they get more data.

2) So, fast forward to December 2021 and we can clearly see that the vaccine (which is effective) loses its effectiveness at around 5-6 months. In the last few months, people became lax about wearing masks and social distancing. Combine this with the vaccine efficacy declining, this is why we've seen a huge increase in cases. (I don't remember any doctor saying take the vaccine and you'll never, ever get Covid the rest of your life.) And this is why they're encouraging people to get boosters, which unfortunately only about 32% or so of the eligible population has done at this point.

So this has nothing to do with "faith in that vaxx." It's about doing the right things. I would suggest that you go talk to your primary care physician if you have questions about the vaccine. And if you don't believe that community spread of Covid (and Omicron) is a problem, please stop by a hospital ICU and ask the doctors and nurses how things are going. And ask them what they're projecting in the weeks and months ahead.

This isn't about a missed URI basketball game. Unfortunately, we all want to be done with the virus but the virus will determine that. And as noted on the board, it will eventually become an endemic in this world. We have the tools to make this happen but not enough people are using them. Need everyone with their oars in the water paddling in the same direction at the same time. Too many people not doing that and thus, it's those people dragging this Covid era on (not the mask-wearing, socially-distanced, vaccine boosted citizens).

Anybody not frustrated is not human. We all are. But to say "I'm done with Covid and everything that goes with it..." Well, it's not that simple, and that's sticking your head in the sand and ignoring reality. Wishing the virus to go away (like Trump said it would) is not a strategy.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
1) OK, you realize when we started with the COVID vaccines in May/June, scientists and doctors knew they were safe and effective? That's why you saw your COVID rates drop immediately. Positivity rates, hospitalizations and deaths were all down in June thru August. That was simple cause and effect. And the summer was good. HOWEVER, those same scientists and doctors explained at that time that they did not know how long the vaccines' immunity would last. And that there would likely be surges because we didn't get enough of the population vaccinated. As it's been repeated, they learn more every day based on data and that's why the recommendations change. The science around the virus and the vaccines evolves as they get more data.

2) So, fast forward to December 2021 and we can clearly see that the vaccine (which is effective) loses its effectiveness at around 5-6 months. In the last few months, people became lax about wearing masks and social distancing. Combine this with the vaccine efficacy declining, this is why we've seen a huge increase in cases. (I don't remember any doctor saying take the vaccine and you'll never, ever get Covid the rest of your life.) And this is why they're encouraging people to get boosters, which unfortunately only about 32% or so of the eligible population has done at this point.

So this has nothing to do with "faith in that vaxx." It's about doing the right things. I would suggest that you go talk to your primary care physician if you have questions about the vaccine. And if you don't believe that community spread of Covid (and Omicron) is a problem, please stop by a hospital ICU and ask the doctors and nurses how things are going. And ask them what they're projecting in the weeks and months ahead.

This isn't about a missed URI basketball game. Unfortunately, we all want to be done with the virus but the virus will determine that. And as noted on the board, it will eventually become an endemic in this world. We have the tools to make this happen but not enough people are using them. Need everyone with their oars in the water paddling in the same direction at the same time. Too many people not doing that and thus, it's those people dragging this Covid era on (not the mask-wearing, socially-distanced, vaccine boosted citizens).

Anybody not frustrated is not human. We all are. But to say "I'm done with Covid and everything that goes with it..." Well, it's not that simple, and that's sticking your head in the sand and ignoring reality. Wishing the virus to go away (like Trump said it would) is not a strategy.
Neither is wearing a mask.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well NY has the most cases and hospitalizations are low. This is from the NY Times.

"New York state reported that Thursday had the highest single day count of new Covid-19 cases with 21,027, according to data released Friday.

New York's data also revealed that positive Covid-19 cases in the state jumped 154% in less than a week.
The previous high was January 14 when there were 19,942 new cases reported."

"Covid-19-related hospitalizations remain comparatively low. On Friday, the state reported 3,839 hospitalizations, as compared with 8,088 on January 14, according to state data.
At its peak in mid-April 2020, New York's hospitalization total for Covid-19 nearly reached 19,000."
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Neither is wearing a mask.
OK, doc. I'm sure you've got lots of peer-reviewed studies from reputable medical organizations and universities to provide us.

My sons have been in mask-mandated district schools for the fall semesters. Some classmates have tested positive during that time. But there has been no outbreak at the school. I'm not a science major so somebody smarter than me (there's a lot of you who meet that qualification) will have to explain to me how come there's been no outbreak in school.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

This thread is supposed to be about Charleston. Please stop…
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING