12/13 | Milwaukee | 8:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/13 | Milwaukee | 8:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Only thing I’ll say is I hope we are working on high/low passes…I admire our desire to try and get those high low entries but we looked like an 8th grade CYO team trying to execute them. I think 2 went straight out of bounds and 2 hit the rim and looked like bad shots. Clearly we want to make that pass and that’s a good thing but need much better execution.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The odd thing to me is that despite having not 1 significant win our metrics are pretty good. I mean we are 14 spots ahead of Dayton and they beat Kansas. I know they have 3 bad losses but we have 2 bad ones and nowhere near the quality of wins they have. To me it shows the flaws in some of the metrics; seems you can game the system. We haven’t played like a Top 80 team at any point this season yet here we are.
Eh, NET has URI at #85 right now. I know the exact cut off for NCAA at-large bid fluctuates based on the number of automatic bids from smaller conferences and teams that "steal" bids, but it's around #40 to #50. That's about 35 teams, which is a significant amount. Dayton, oddly, is 2-0 against Quad 1 teams and 5-4 against everyone else. The "weight" of losing to a really bad team is probably heavier than beating a good team, at least right now for them.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we end the season at a #85 NET, that would signify progress, even though not close to NCAA tourney level needed.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Only thing I’ll say is I hope we are working on high/low passes…I admire our desire to try and get those high low entries but we looked like an 8th grade CYO team trying to execute them. I think 2 went straight out of bounds and 2 hit the rim and looked like bad shots. Clearly we want to make that pass and that’s a good thing but need much better execution.
The amount of high low passes last night that went off the backboard or 7 feet high out of bounds was alarming.

On one pass, the PA announcer legitimately didn’t know if the pass was a shot or not.

Like, those passes weren’t even remotely close to being caught.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Only thing I’ll say is I hope we are working on high/low passes…I admire our desire to try and get those high low entries but we looked like an 8th grade CYO team trying to execute them. I think 2 went straight out of bounds and 2 hit the rim and looked like bad shots. Clearly we want to make that pass and that’s a good thing but need much better execution.
The high/low passes were embarrassing last night….honestly felt like 6 of them either resulted in turnovers or they would have been turnovers vs a better team…it definitely wasn’t limited to Mitchell passing to Mitchell but that was certainly the case several times
0 x
Clapton is God
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If we end the season at a #85 NET, that would signify progress, even though not close to NCAA tourney level needed.
#85 NET is mediocre. It's not progress.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago The odd thing to me is that despite having not 1 significant win our metrics are pretty good. I mean we are 14 spots ahead of Dayton and they beat Kansas. I know they have 3 bad losses but we have 2 bad ones and nowhere near the quality of wins they have. To me it shows the flaws in some of the metrics; seems you can game the system. We haven’t played like a Top 80 team at any point this season yet here we are.
We got a massive bump by beating KenPom #122 Georgia State 94-59. Of course KenPom doesn't/can't take into account that between injuries and players missing the game due to Covid we didn't play a team even close to the #122 school in the country. That win had us jump from 98 to 81. We also jumped from 81 to 74 by blowing out Milwaukee instead of just beating them, however Milwaukee is terrible and we should have blown them out
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If we end the season at a #85 NET, that would signify progress, even though not close to NCAA tourney level needed.
#85 NET is mediocre. It's not progress.
If we’re going off of last year, it is absolutely progress.

Ineptitude is what we had last year.

Not nearly where we all want to be, but it’s obviously progress, even if it’s not good enough for all of us.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
We got a massive bump by beating KenPom #122 Georgia State 94-59. Of course KenPom doesn't/can't take into account that between injuries and players missing the game due to Covid we didn't play a team even close to the #122 school in the country. That win had us jump from 98 to 81. We also jumped from 81 to 74 by blowing out Milwaukee instead of just beating them, however Milwaukee is terrible and we should have blown them out
Vegas/Kenpom set the line at -7 and we won by 24. Not sure what else there is to say. I was surprised the line was that low, but it is what it is.

No one’s walking around RI today with their chest puffed out cause we beat a bad Milwaukee team. But we handily took care of business, more impressively than that analytics thought we would.

You play who’s on your schedule at this point. And you’re allowed to go to bed content when your team out performs during that prior 40 minutes of basketball
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Vegas/Kenpom set the line at -7 and we won by 24. Not sure what else there is to say. I was surprised the line was that low, but it is what it is.

No one’s walking around RI today with their chest puffed out cause we beat a bad Milwaukee team. But we handily took care of business, more impressively than that analytics thought we would.

You play who’s on your schedule at this point. And you’re allowed to go to bed content when your team out performs during that prior 40 minutes of basketball

Nobody wants to be happy when we win.

We’d rather bitch a little when we win regardless of how we win, and bitch even more when we lose.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm not content. Beating another Q4 team does not make me feel any better about where this team is at right now.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm not content. Beating another Q4 team does not make me feel any better about where this team is at right now.
The only thing I'm content with is the fact that we had a 13 point halftime lead and did NOT choke or nearly choke it away. I think the closest it got was either 11 or 9. Then a dagger 3 by Sheppard with about 5 to play, followed by a dagger tech by Milwaukee, put it out of reach.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

My point is you’re looking at it the wrong way. You can be individually happy with the outcome of that game and still undecided on this teams potential or upside. These things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Most posters on this board expected us to somehow lose, or win by at best single digits (I know you’re the exception to this). And yet then we win by 24 and they’re pouting
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

My point is you’re looking at it the wrong way. You can be individually happy with the outcome of that game and still undecided on this teams potential or upside. These things aren’t mutually exclusive.

Most posters on this board expected us to somehow lose, or win by at best single digits (I know you’re the exception to this). And yet then we win by 24 and they’re pouting
I don't think I'm looking at it wrong. I am glad Rhody won. Always. The point is this game was like an exhibition game. It had no relevance.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 2 years ago

This is the problem when you develop a Jim Baron schedule. We are going to end up 10-3 in the nonconference and have zero quad 1 or quad 2 wins...
contract year schedule***
No way should this seasons win % be counted as evidence of a positive change in the program. This is truely a midmajor schedule that was only going to get us to the Tournament if we won pretty much every game. It’s win the A-10 tourney for the automatic bid or bust at this point.
…….well, if it plays out like you offer at 10-3……and don’t fall to the near bottom in the conference, it probably be counted as a positive change……..by those doing the “counting”……..
[/quote]

This year hardly anyone projected us as an NCAAT team anyway, regardless of our schedule.
Almost every college basketball source had us predicted to finish 5-8 in the A10.

Yes, it is difficult to judge where our program is headed based upon our record in the OOC schedule.
But once we get into conference play, it will give us a better idea of where we are headed.
We will get a pretty good eyeball test once we start playing the upper tier A10 teams and see how we stack up.
[/quote]

Thorr knows the natives are getting restless. Barring the dead-woman-live-boy thing (IN NO WAY COULD I EVEN IMAGINE DAVID COX GETTING INTO A JACKPOT LIKE THAT), he can't do anything publicly for at least 88 days.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How do those of us troglodytes still using Windows access it?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I don't think I'm looking at it wrong. I am glad Rhody won. Always. The point is this game was like an exhibition game. It had no relevance.
That’s just life as a mid major though. If having to play these types of games is so miserable to you you’ll never enjoy our OOC schedule.

As an example we’ll only play 1 Q1 or Q2 OOC game this season. When the schedule got put together this had the chance to be 2 games if we had not blown it vs Tulsa and played Utah instead

Dayton (a perennially elite mid major) is only playing 4 Q1 or Q2 games.

Our schedule is for sure a little lighter than I’d prefer and how it’s looked in the last 5 or so years. But these types of games are extremely normal for a team at our level
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That’s just life as a mid major though. If having to play these types of games is so miserable to you you’ll never enjoy our OOC schedule.

As an example we’ll only play 1 Q1 or Q2 OOC game this season. When the schedule got put together this had the chance to be 2 games if we had not blown it vs Tulsa and played Utah instead

Our schedule is for sure a little lighter than I’d prefer and how it’s looked in the last 5 or so years. But these types of games are extremely normal for a team at our level
Put down your crack pipe. Like I have always said, I believe you are a friar fan.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Put down your crack pipe. Like I have always said, I believe you are a friar fan.
I provided facts, would love some from you instead of pointless rebuttals
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ah yes, blueram with his patented “if you don’t 100% agree with me then you’re a PC fan” take.

Gotta love it.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Why would P5 teams agree to play us this year?

We wouldn’t be a good win, and we’d be a terrible lose for any P6 team. Also, we didn’t get invited to the above
average MTE’s because we weren’t supposed to be as good as years past.

It’s pretty simple to understand why the schedule is the way it is this season.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Facts? Here we go. In 2017-18 we played Seton Hall, Virginia, PC, Alabama, Buffalo and Nevada OOC. That's 4 years ago. GTFOH.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox knew if that even if he could have scheduled good P5 teams this year, he would be signing his own pink slip.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Why would P5 teams agree to play us this year?

We wouldn’t be a good win, and we’d be a terrible lose for any P6 team. Also, we didn’t get invited to the above

It's also pretty simple that we need a new coach in year 4. Obviously.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Why would P5 teams agree to play us this year?

It's also pretty simple that we need a new coach in year 4. Obviously.

Way to change the goalposts completely.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Facts? Here we go. In 2017-18 we played Seton Hall, Virginia, PC, Alabama, Buffalo and Nevada OOC. That's 4 years ago. GTFOH.

Uhhhh yes, that’s because we were a good team! A loss to us wouldn’t crush anyones resume, therefore better teams and MTE were more apt to play us.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I guess I will give my 2 cents. If it's possible to get a win on the road by 24, and do it in an ugly way, I believe we accomplished that last night. That said, they took care of business and I was happy to see that.

Need to fix the obvious...way too many turnovers as a team AND the Mitchells are handling the ball too much. Also, I have no problem with the Mitchells taking 17 footers every now and then, but 3 pointers, no. One more random criticism...and I believe it's towards Makhel (apologies if it's Makhi), but what's with the hanging and pulling on the rim after dunks? Am I the only one seeing this? He got T'd up last year and now he's doing the same thing again this year. I was shocked that he didn't get a tech last night after what was a nice play and dunk. But the technical WILL happen if he doesn't stop. Just seems a little odd that it continues to happen.

To end on a more positive note, if and when the Mitchells play within themselves, they do a lot of very good things, and I look forward to seeing them progress. Stick to your strengths...that goes for everyone.
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes I love the fact that we are no longer good enough for good teams to schedule us, along with being invited to better Thanksgiving tourneys.

You can thank Cox for that.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox knew if that even if he could have scheduled good P5 teams this year, he would be signing his own pink slip.
That’s right. And just because you schedule a bunch of P5 teams does not mean you are going to beat them.
So suppose Cox scheduled Arizona, Illinois, Florida State, Texas A&M and Minnesota - all would be on the road and all likely losses. Team would not gain confidence and record would be 4-7 or 5-6 right now.

I’m fine with the schedule this year. The path to the NCAA is to win the A10 Tournament. Go 10-3, gain confidence and momentum, go 25-6 and win the A10. Maybe an at large comes to a 2nd A10 team but I’d not bet much on that happening.

3 years of not close to an NCAA Bid. Need to win the A10 Tournament or at the least come very close such as make the A10 Championship game.

Many predict URI finishing 5,6 or 7. Imho that won’t keep the current HC for 2022-23. No extension and no pay raise tells me this is a year that big things need to happen - not just some level of arguable improvement. Sink or swim.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Uhhhh yes, that’s because we were a good team! A loss to us wouldn’t crush anyones resume, therefore better teams and MTE were more apt to play us.
Thanks for making my point.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Does anyone wonder why Carey played so well last night?

Because he was matched up with opponents that he could beat.

When he plays against good players, it's turnover city.

Like clockwork.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Which program was in worse shape 4 years ago, UConn or URI? Who is in worse shape now? Both have new coaches and same same amount of time to put their stamp on the program. I don’t care that one is his first job, as the other one had great success in short order at his first job.
Last edited by RIFan 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, I love that you hope we win the A10 tourney.

We all do!

I just think it's an impossible task for this team and coach.

Trying to win 4 games in 4 days against comparable or better teams?

We can't play ONE complete game against bad teams!

And when do we play well for any stretch of games? We might play OK one game, and then revert back to old habits the next.

Consistency.....we are consistently inconsistent. Nothing has changed to feel otherwise.

Cox had one brief good stretch when we won 10 in a row...and nothing close to that has happened since.
Last edited by rambone 78 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Thanks for making my point.

Then how can you be surprised at this years schedule and playing teams like Milwaukee?
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Here’s a thought that might ruffle some feathers, but is anyone else a tad disappointed in El-Ahim?

Did nothing last night, and has been pretty invisible for the majority of games this season.

Nice %’s, but that’s really it.

Was expected a little
More than he’s given so far.

He hasn’t really hurt us, he’s kinda just been “out there” on the court for some games.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Most on this board have said recruiting has been Cox's one strong point.

It's his strongest point yes, but even that is overrated...I've felt that way for a while.

EA is just another example. Okay, nothing special.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

So 6 Q1/Q2 OOC games. This year we should have had 2, and even 3 if you consider Seton Hall pushing us off a year. Ya we ultimately only played 1 and that sucks. But it’s not like our goal when we created the schedule was crazily different than even our best years, a little worse of course.

Someone else mentioned this but what good does scheduled 6 Q1/Q2 games do you if you think this team stinks? You go 2-4 in those games, lose confidence and more or less don’t add much to your resume. Still need to win the A10 most likely in that case as well. My issue if anything is just being a better team. Doesn’t matter so much who you play.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Nobody wants to be happy when we win.

We’d rather bitch a little when we win regardless of how we win, and bitch even more when we lose.
If people are content with blowing out Milwaukee who is 239 in KenPom and 330 out of 358 teams in the NET rankings, then I'll never see eye to eye with you about what this program can and should be. There are far too many people that will accept rank mediocrity and I refuse to accept it. Even in our current position we shouldn't have ever been playing a game on their home court last night and all we did last night was the bare minimum. We bullied a team that's playing like a D2 school. Awesome. Wow.

And if you thought I was bitching in the post that you and KingstonLane quoted it's going to be a long year for you Rhody15 once we start sprinkling in some decent teams amongst the dreck that we've been playing
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There was no reason for us to be playing at Milwaukee last night. Under Pat Baldwin Milwaukee has been 196, 296, 271, and 216 in the KenPom and they're 239 this year and an absolutely abysmal 330 out of 358 in the NET rankings. In short, for the last four and a half years they've been one of the worst basketball programs in the country. They're not in a recruiting hotbed for us. It wasn't a homecoming for a player on the roster like if Jarvis Garrett was still here. If you absolutely feel the need to schedule them to get a game against Patrick Baldwin Jr., then you schedule this year's game at the Ryan Center because he's likely only playing one year in Milwaukee either due to his dad getting fired leading to a transfer or him going pro. And in addition to playing them this year, now we've got this same shitbag program coming to the Ryan Center next year, but almost definitely without the only player that would make the game the slightest bit intriguing.

Literally everything about the scheduling of this home and home was absolutely terrible, and no, that's not just life as a mid major
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox knew if that even if he could have scheduled good P5 teams this year, he would be signing his own pink slip.
And he put together a schedule to try and benefit himself instead of benefitting the program. Hopefully all the people giving Cox a pass for this terrible schedule are able to scoop up tickets for the exciting return game against Milwaukee in the Ryan Center next year
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah revenue will be booming the longer this malaise is allowed to continue.

Obviously I'm kidding....but you get the point.

We don't have a Baron 2.0, we have a Baron Lite.

Baron, as mediocre as he was, got us to 5 NIT's.

If Cox is here for as long as he was, how many NIT's will he get us to?

Not that we care about NIT's, but again you get the point.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Even with Baldwin they're a bad team. With him they're 2-4, with their 2 wins coming at KenPom #343 North Dakota and vs. #306 Robert Morris. They lost to #192 Eastern Kentucky, at #28 Florida, vs. #172 Bowling Green, and at #78 Colorado. A loss against this team is a disaster, plain and simple
It would be a horrific loss to ever lose to any team that is ranked #322.

Baldwin is a 6'9" guard. If not changing the starting lineup (which Cox said he has no intention of doing last week) then it would seem Leggett or El-Amin gets the assignment

Looks to me like Leggett gets Baldwin. Leggett is a tough kid. Loved how he missed it up with Crosswell in the 2nd half at PC for a tied up situation. Leggett on Baldwin will be fun to watch.

Colorado Starting Line Up and Minutes Played vs Colorado
St Pierre - 24: 6'10" 255# Junior C - Makhel Mitchell
Sims - 16: 6'7" Junior F - Makhi Mitchell
Lathon - 24: 6'4" Junior G - El-Amin
Baldwin - 32: 6'9" Freshman G - Leggett
Newby - 27: 6'1" Freshman G - Sheppard

Off bench
Thomas - 29: 6'4" Senior G
Gholston - 29: 6'5" Junior G

Baldwin likes to shoot 3Ps but has been inconsistent
North Dakota 2-7
Eastern Kentucky 2-9
Florida 0-3
Bowling Green 2-5
Robert Morris 6-6
Colorado 2-10
URI 1-6

He is not a big assists Guard with only 11 assists in 6 games and 13 turnovers
Only 8 personal fouls in 6 games and he only has 4 steals on the year - doesn't sound like a guy who plays very aggressive defense and tries to avoid contact

Not counting the Robert Morris Game Baldwin is only 8-34 for 23.5% on 3P's, including RMU Baldwin is 14-40 for 35%.

Will be interesting to track who covers Baldwin throughout and how we do shutting down the rest of the team - don't want another replay of Ed Crosswell.
Baldwin with an unimpressive 1-6 on 3P shooting, overall 1-8 FG. Only 4 rebounds.
He only played 25 minutes because his father (Head Coach) took him out when he got his 2nd foul in the 1st half. Baldwin had only had 8 Fouls in 6 games up to now so it struck me odd that he would keep him out of the game for so long. He ended with only 3 fouls.
Baldwin only scored 6 points and half of those were when he hit a 3P with 4 minutes left and the game well out of reach.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago If Rhody could lose at FGCU, it can certainly lose tonight at Milwaukee. Who knows what type of performance they will put forth.
Pretty big difference in NET and overall W/L

FGSU NET 155 (7-3)

MILWAUKEE NET 322 (2-7)

This would be a considerably worse than FGSU

Personally I think we demolish the 6.5 point spread. Juicy as one Rhody Football Fan would say it
I don't think you understand how good Baldwin is. Have you watched this team, or are you simply going off a NET ranking? I've only watched them twice, but they are not an easy opponent.

A team like Milwaukee needs their superstar to have a chance in most games. When he plays, they are far from a ranking of 322. They are similar to FGCU. We can definitely lose this game if we play a second half like we did against them.
So after Baldwin played and shot only 1-8 FG and 1-6 3P Milwaukee fell to 330 NET. Milwaukee is far worse than FGSU.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago If Rhody could lose at FGCU, it can certainly lose tonight at Milwaukee. Who knows what type of performance they will put forth.
Pretty big difference in NET and overall W/L

FGSU NET 155 (7-3)

MILWAUKEE NET 322 (2-7)

This would be a considerably worse than FGSU

Personally I think we demolish the 6.5 point spread. Juicy as one Rhody Football Fan would say it

Fordhan NET is 169 which tells you how bad Milwaukee must be at NET 322
Ramster I hope you are right and would be pleasantly surprised.

As I said before, I think Milwaukee is better than their NET.
They played some decent teams and was without their best player for several of their losses.
They had their best player and believe it or not they actually played WORSE than their NET. Our length, height and defensive pressure made them look bad. Baldwin did not impress me. He avoids contact, did not shoot well and was outplayed by Makhi, Makhel, Walker and others. Would have expected much more from him given the pregame hype.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• at NET 321 out of 358 total teams, Milwaukee is the worst ranked team we will play this season
  • at 282 Sacred Heart is the 2nd worst ranked team we will play this season
Remaining OOC Games:
  • #105 College of Charleston
  • #145 Brown
I'm wondering in a historical sense, this may be the worst team we ever played on the road OOC.
Milwaukee was actually worse than their NET coming into the game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago You absolutely have to throw their record and NET out, their All American and Lottery pick has barely played.

Would not be surprised in the least bit if they beat us.

They're at home with the best player on the floor, one of the best freshman in the country.

Should we win? Yea probably, and Vegas seems to agree too.

Would I be shocked if we lost? Absolutely not.
This is exactly how I feel...
Are you now shocked that we destroyed this team? Were we that good or were they that bad? or both?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Lottery picks aren't all about the impact they make in their freshman year of college basketball on a trash team. I've seen glimpses of the potential he has. His handle is great for his size. He's the only player on the floor that can make those two beautiful passes he had in the second half. His form looks good on his shots... He's played very well with better competition in Nike camps. I'm gonna hold off on saying he isn't good in what I think is his 6th game of D1 basketball?

Let's keep this lead at double digits and pull out the W!
I'm not going to hold off on saying, "I sure hope the C's don't pick him"
I would expect a Lottery Pick potential player to dominate on a tracheostomy's team. For Baldwin to score only 6 points, and his only made 3 pointer came with 4 minutes left when the game was out of reach, only 4 rebounds. He wan't even the best player on his 330 NET team last night. Lot of hype coming in, we had discussion as to which URI player should try to shut Baldwin down. Turns out I saw Leggett, Martin, Makhi, El-Amin and Walker on Baldwin at times. All of the options URI used to defend Baldwin worked.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

That’s right. And just because you schedule a bunch of P5 teams does not mean you are going to beat them.
So suppose Cox scheduled Arizona, Illinois, Florida State, Texas A&M and Minnesota - all would be on the road and all likely losses. Team would not gain confidence and record would be 4-7 or 5-6 right now.

I’m fine with the schedule this year. The path to the NCAA is to win the A10 Tournament. Go 10-3, gain confidence and momentum, go 25-6 and win the A10. Maybe an at large comes to a 2nd A10 team but I’d not bet much on that happening.

3 years of not close to an NCAA Bid. Need to win the A10 Tournament or at the least come very close such as make the A10 Championship game.

Many predict URI finishing 5,6 or 7. Imho that won’t keep the current HC for 2022-23. No extension and no pay raise tells me this is a year that big things need to happen - not just some level of arguable improvement. Sink or swim.

25-6 most likely would get an at large bid. A10 no matter how down it may be this year and the past couple of years historically gets multiple bids. If we somehow win the next 2 and even less likely go 15-3 in conference we will get an at large bid.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago

25-6 most likely would get an at large bid. A10 no matter how down it may be this year and the past couple of years historically gets multiple bids. If we somehow win the next 2 and even less likely go 15-3 in conference we will get an at large bid.
A lot of people might blast you for that opinion, but I think you're right.

We wouldn't have very many quality wins in that scenario, but our NET would be very high and I can't recall an A-10 team with a record that good not making it.

Would also need a win or two in the A-10's to solidify it.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Everyone who disagrees with you is a PC fan.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!