Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodyram wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….As I look around section 105, there appears to be seats empty game to game, enough to house the season holders in 104? Maybe…….give 104, behind visitors bench, to the students, easy fix, no?
Those seats go for $45 to $50 per game. They are sold out for most all games. People may not be physically in the seats but they are paid for.
Section 105 tickets come up as sold out but I believe those seats are for friends/family of the team and staff. Many of these tickets do go unused throughout the course of the season.
Correct, there are also a few corporate seats in that general vicinity, I think Verizon has a group of seats over there that go relatively unused the entire season.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Not for nothing, but I'll interrupt my pre-gaming for Sacred Heart to point this out:
(and I know a lot of you will disagree because, well, beer...but)

My buddy that went with me to the dump on Saturday was very complimentary of their atmosphere.

I kinda thought it felt like a house party from down the line.

Music thumping (not necessarily a bad thing), and lots and lots and lots of beer being chugged by (underage?) kids.

And the drinking kept being displayed on the video board, as if that was the whole point of the timeout games.

Is that really what the Practically College administration want to show the world?

I mean, I'm not going to pretend that the Rhody kids are pure as snow, but I'm glad we don't do that stuff at the RC.

Thoughts?
I'm sure the URI kids hide it much better, most likely in nip form.
LMAO I am a few years away from 40 and I'd feel like I'd get caught if I ever tried to bring a nip in that place.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago I would love to have a beer at my seat in the Ryan Center.

It was so much easier back in the day to sneak into Keaney a nice 50/50 mixed rum and Coke in a Coke bottle. Actually it was probably Pepsi due to the contract.

LMFAO! The Pepsi contract! I friggin hated having to get Pepsi products.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I also liked the halftime show. They advised to stay in your seats for it. Good video and Christmas music. All seats had a wrist band in them and the light show was coordinated with the music and video board. Red, green and white lights in the wristbands that changed in the seating sections with the music.

Wouldn’t work in Ryan Center as we had challenges with this 3 years ago with Wi-Fi issues.
Oh yeah I vividly remember that failed light project.

I may have said this earlier, but I recently switched to T-Mobile. Same thing for me as Verizon. Absolutely ZIP on the cell service and still no WiFi. It's an incredibly poor fan experience. I could understand if Wifi was a new concept, but nearly the entire university is on URI Secure / URI Open, but nothing for the fans? I've never been able to use it there. Can't participate in a contest requiring a Tweet, can't post a pic of a play in real time? I cannot understand how these issues still haven't been addressed almost a decade after they started.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago
rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago Not for nothing, but I'll interrupt my pre-gaming for Sacred Heart to point this out:

My buddy that went with me to the dump on Saturday was very complimentary of their atmosphere.

Music thumping (not necessarily a bad thing), and lots and lots and lots of beer being chugged by (underage?) kids.

And the drinking kept being displayed on the video board, as if that was the whole point of the timeout games.

Is that really what the Practically College administration want to show the world?

I mean, I'm not going to pretend that the Rhody kids are pure as snow, but I'm glad we don't do that stuff at the RC.

Thoughts?
Rudder,
  • The atmosphere was electric for sure. I've been to every game at the Dunk for as far back as I can remember and Saturday was as crazy as I've ever seen it. I'm upping the point advantage that normally goes with Home Court of 3 points to probably 6-8 points. It was crazy, loud, enthusiastic, and did I say loud? and you would not know there was Covid in Rhode Island. No masks to speak of, long lines for everything, very crowded hall way.
  • The Speaker System was great. They must have made some improvements as it was notably improved from years past. Great music selections pregame too.
  • At 12:30 there were big lines to get in, mostly students. No masks, closely packed in front of the metal detectors. When let in the lines moves fast as workers let people go through fast holding electronics above head. Students raced for the seats on both ends of the court to get the best seats. Filled up one end well before the rest of the Dunk Seats got filled by fans trickling in from the local Bars and Restaurants which were pretty well filled hours before game time. Good crown also at the URI Alumni Malted Barley Event which started at 12pm but left for the Dunk after 25 minutes.
  • Not just beer drinking but tall boy beer drinking. Seemed like everyone was drinking beer non-stop
  • Mens rooms had lines at halftime that were 20 minutes or more long. Huge lines. I could not go or I would miss the 2nd half start. I went 10 minutes into the 2nd half and the lines were still 10 minutes long.
  • At halftime as I tried to find a mens room some punky kid said "Fuck You" to me out of nowhere. I was even covering up my URI shirt with my jacket all game because Providence is not what it used to be anymore. A Minute later another kid said "Fuck You" to me. I did nothing to attack attention or solicit a comment like that - just a punky kids drinking too much and looking for confrontation. No thanks. I thought how I'd never expect to see that behavior in the Ryan Center
  • The Mans Rooms I am sure were not designed for all that beer drinking before games in restaurants and Tall Boy Beer drinking in the arena. I'm sure the 2pm start encouraged Beer Drinking and fact the game has not taken place at the Dunk for 3 long years.
  • The Dunk corridor that circles the building is too small for 13,000 fans all looking to buy Beer and then release the Borrowed Beer in the restrooms. Lines blocking people from moving.
  • People had a great time. Tons of beer was consumed. Electric atmosphere. Very tough place for an opponent to play in on that particular Saturday.
  • The PC Fans I sat around were loud, critical of URI players especially the Mitchell's since they supposedly spurned PC for URI. The beer was making the crowd even louder than normal and increased as the game went on.
  • Funniest thing of the game for me was with 15 minutes left, 2nd half we were down 30-44. Makhi missed his 1st of 2 Its. He hit the 2nd but as he ran back up the court he put his right index finger to his mouth like to either shush or silence the PC crowd or like he was blowing smoke from his 6-shooter but I said to the PC guys beside me "Did he really just do that?" And PC guy said yeah, and he did it even after he missed the 1st FT. So true. I don't think many people in the arena say Makhi do it because if they had they would have been all over his case. I think they were too. into their Beer drinking to notice. Just not something you should do in a crazy visitor arena like that and especially down 14 points :roll: But kids are kids and I certainly did far worse in my younger years. I'm sure David Cox and Coaches will review that with Makhi and team - in a good natured way too. It really was funny.
  • Traffic after the game was abominable on a Christmas Season Saturday night in Providence. We went over to the Mall later to kill some time til traffic died down (which it never did) and saw 8 yellow coat security running in the mall to chase down some guy that then police handcuffed and removed. Good times.
  • But congrats to PC on the energetic crown and the win
  • URI fans were not seem to be in big attendance as in past years and fairly quiet (again it was 3 years ago the last Dunk game) As I said, I would not consider it a very wise or safe more to flaunt my URI loyalty in that environment. Overall PC Fans were nice, knowledgeable and friendly - but they love their Friars and hate URI - I can understand that
Don't forget the replays and their WiFi.

I've gone to plenty of non-URI games at the dunk and I say it every time. If their gameday experience and execution - beers, replays, wifi, atmosphere - and just a lack of this pearl clutching, someone call security because fans are too rowdy BS that we tend to have in our fanbase - and you put that inside the Ryan Center?

It would be a top 10 college basketball gameday experience in the country.

The only thing that sucks about the dunk is the venue itself. Bad seats up top, and a lot of seats that aren't even in front of the court. It's like watching a game at Fenway where your seat is probably facing away from the action. The Ryan Center is one of the best venues in college basketball, just lacking everything else that would make it fun to go to a game there - even if your team sucks like we do now.

But we have people who come on our message board and complain about drinking, like all of us weren't in Eddy suites pregaming for 2 hours and bringing 2 walking shotgun beers before getting into the Ryan Center.

Give me the drunk rowdy atmosphere that's a 6-8 point homecourt advantage over the "ideal" south county basketball experience as seen through the eyes of somebody's grandmother.

The goal of the RC is to appeal to 6 year olds as well as a geriatric ward. Cancel out everyone in between. I've found it to become increasingly parochial there with how the staff acts towards fans. I definitely strolled from Hopkins to the RC after playing a game of Kings with my friends before a game.

I've seen many many people get spoken to at the RC for being "too rowdy" or "too this" or "too that". Who's the one behind these decisions? Jesu Christie. I have a list and personal experiences where sometimes I'm like what's the end goal here? I completely agree with you, the Ryan Center has been electric so many times I've been there since it opened, but the last few years it's like they want you sitting on our hands unless the Dance Cam is coming by.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tonight I struggled with Wi-Fi, as usual.

I thought about the failed light show 3 years ago and the Ryan Center staff and others tended to blame the game attendees. They were not downloading the site correctly and blah blah. Yet at the Dunk the half time Christmas theme light and music show was flawless.

Now a whole year is skipped at the Ryan Center and still Wi-Fi is weak and no replays.

Then I thought about the half time shot Saturday that Rhody took and made at the buzzer that the refs signaled good. The Refs Went to replay and nullified, BUT PC put the replay on the center court screen and showed the ball still in his hand. They froze the screen so all the crowd could see it and the crowd yelled obviously showing the shot too late. That in itself tended to nullify the shot.

That could not happen at the Ryan Center. No replays at all - barbaric.

Time for new management of the RC.
7 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

Thoughts?
I'm sure the URI kids hide it much better, most likely in nip form.
LMAO I am a few years away from 40 and I'd feel like I'd get caught if I ever tried to bring a nip in that place.
You wouldn't.
ETA: according to a friend
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Tonight I struggled with Wi-Fi, as usual.

I thought about the failed light show 3 years ago and the Ryan Center staff and others tended to blame the game attendees. They were not downloading the site correctly and blah blah. Yet at the Dunk the half time Christmas theme light and music show was flawless.

Now a whole year is skipped at the Ryan Center and still Wi-Fi is weak and no replays.

Then I thought about the half time shot Saturday that Rhody took and made at the buzzer that the refs signaled good. The Refs Went to replay and nullified, BUT PC put the replay on the center court screen and showed the ball still in his hand. They froze the screen so all the crowd could see it and the crowd yelled obviously showing the shot too late. That in itself tended to nullify the shot.

Supposedly the technology we had when we got the new scoreboard and ribbon boards was the exact same as what the Boston Garden had at the time. That we don't have replay is mind-boggling and really makes the board useless
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Supposedly the technology we had when we got the new scoreboard and ribbon boards was the exact same as what the Boston Garden had at the time. That we don't have replay is mind-boggling and really makes the board useless

And it's not like you can see a clip posted in real-time to Twitter or anything. :mrgreen:
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

And it's not like you can see a clip posted in real-time to Twitter or anything. :mrgreen:
Wouldn't you need working wifi/cell service to access twitter?
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago
Wouldn't you need working wifi/cell service to access twitter?
Yes, which is exactly the level of sarcasm in my above statement.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

For those that were at the Harvard game, they had replay there. Which was definitely unexpected considering it's a very 'high school gym' feel. I don't mean that in a negative way, either. Awesome place to see a game and you're right on top of the action.

But I digress - they had replays. They looked to be lifted directly from the ESPN+ broadcast. All URI home games are on ESPN+ at a minimum. No reason they can't make this happen at the Ryan Center.
2 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

When the Ryan Center opened I worked for the game operations which was in the control room for the scoreboards. Yes they have the ability to show replays. I know because I was the one showing Dustin’s shot to win against USC on a loop while the fans were on the court.

Just like the “ old “ dancing Ram we used after they hit free throws.

We use to do half time highlights during the half after the Rametts danced.

Either someone in there doesn’t know they have that capability or the person running the control board doesn’t know basketball.
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago

For those that were at the Harvard game, they had replay there. Which was definitely unexpected considering it's a very 'high school gym' feel. I don't mean that in a negative way, either. Awesome place to see a game and you're right on top of the action.

But I digress - they had replays. They looked to be lifted directly from the ESPN+ broadcast. All URI home games are on ESPN+ at a minimum. No reason they can't make this happen at the Ryan Center.

I would suggest that someone craft an email/letter and send it to the powers that be at the Ryan Center with a list of questions/concerns on the lack of wifi, replays, and any other issues re: in-game experience.

I believe it would be an effective way to at least get an explanation for why these problems still exist. The problem generally is when no one holds them accountable there is no incentive to change. Make some noise!
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago When the Ryan Center opened I worked for the game operations which was in the control room for the scoreboards. Yes they have the ability to show replays. I know because I was the one showing Dustin’s shot to win against USC on a loop while the fans were on the court.

Either someone in there doesn’t know they have that capability or the person running the control board doesn’t know basketball.
What I heard when I was closer to the program was that all of these capabilities existed but it was going to take some time to learn how to fully utilize all of the board features. Probably shouldn’t take 10 years to figure out though :D
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago
What I heard when I was closer to the program was that all of these capabilities existed but it was going to take some time to learn how to fully utilize all of the board features. Probably shouldn’t take 10 years to figure out though :D
I suspect they would rather use this time to post ads that make money than improve the Ryan Ctr experience.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
I suspect they would rather use this time to post ads that make money than improve the Ryan Ctr experience.
That's a catch 22 though. If you don't give me a reason to ever look at the video board how can I see the ads you have on it?
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago '''
That's a catch 22 though. If you don't give me a reason to ever look at the video board how can I see the ads you have on it?
The scoreboard can be like any other sign in the Ryan Ctr for which an entity pays.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Give us a centered jump tron. That scoreboard at the top level tucked in the corner is in such a bad spot.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Further, I don't think this is a 'one or the other' type thing. They can do both.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Further, I don't think this is a 'one or the other' type thing. They can do both.
And on top of that, that's another thing to sell ads on top of.

A "did you SEE that" replay brought to you by Lenscrafters. "Can you HEAR that" brought to you by Beltone. etc, etc, etc.

It's not hard. It's THE most basic of gameday experience, and like everything else we fall short.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Everyone is talking about improvements. They don't even have the free programs at the concession stands like they always have had in the past. What happened to them?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Everyone is talking about improvements. They don't even have the free programs at the concession stands like they always have had in the past. What happened to them?
………cost of ink, copying, etc etc ??……..can’t blame Covid…….even the B&W paper stat copies are gone……..it seems like years ago(it was)there were glossy programs with picture/coaches bios visitor rosters…….now nothing…….cheapin out again……have to say another small example of not being big time……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody: We are so innovative and we know you are too so we have stopped printing game day programs and have made all that info available on your phone via Go Rhody.

Fan: Ok so I can pull up the app at the game?

Rhody: Nope
5 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago When the Ryan Center opened I worked for the game operations which was in the control room for the scoreboards. Yes they have the ability to show replays. I know because I was the one showing Dustin’s shot to win against USC on a loop while the fans were on the court.

or both.

I'm sure there is a LOT of staff turnover and the season is so short. it takes time to learn and become proficient with that stuff.
0 x
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..amazing……..and we consider ourselves big time hoops program……..maybe we are still wanna be…….I get it takes some hands on training…….but come on Ryan Center staff……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

I would suggest that someone craft an email/letter and send it to the powers that be at the Ryan Center with a list of questions/concerns on the lack of wifi, replays, and any other issues re: in-game experience.

I believe it would be an effective way to at least get an explanation for why these problems still exist. The problem generally is when no one holds them accountable there is no incentive to change. Make some noise!
Spectra DGAF
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I remember the “free falling” Tom Petty song and gift cards were dropped with parachutes throughout the arena, or the Kingston Pizza super hero that would pick a row to win free pizza. What happened to all of that?
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

………and the Roady Jay signs……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I remember the “free falling” Tom Petty song and gift cards were dropped with parachutes throughout the arena, or the Kingston Pizza super hero that would pick a row to win free pizza. What happened to all of that?
Nothing was better than the parachute drop.

I’m assuming it stopped because management was nervous someone would reach over and fall from the 300 sections, that’s the only reason I can think of.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I remember the “free falling” Tom Petty song and gift cards were dropped with parachutes throughout the arena, or the Kingston Pizza super hero that would pick a row to win free pizza. What happened to all of that?
Twisted Pizza became the sponsor of the free row promotion, so that's why no more super hero
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago

Spectra DGAF
Sent it years ago. I think I posted it on this thread or another one but their response was it was very expensive to get the WIFI solved.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I will again reference my daughter who plays D3 basketball - they had their home opener last night and the game was streamed live online. The school does an excellent job right down to the play by play guy. They had video replays from under the basket and from the regular full-court sideline camera!

Come on URI, it's 2021!
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

I will again reference my daughter who plays D3 basketball - they had their home opener last night and the game was streamed live online. The school does an excellent job right down to the play by play guy. They had video replays from under the basket and from the regular full-court sideline camera!

Come on URI, it's 2021!
You think it's fun now - wait until that NCAA money starts to dry up in 3 short years and we lose the money we've been getting since 2017.

You think we're cheap now? It's only going to get worse.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So we have 3 years to get back to the NCAA tourney.

We need a new staff by next year so we have a chance to get back there by then.

Because we sure aren't doing it with this coach.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Come on URI, it's 2021!
You think it's fun now - wait until that NCAA money starts to dry up in 3 short years and we lose the money we've been getting since 2017.

The only thing that doesn't worry me about this is I'm not sure how much has been going to athletics in the first place. Have we seen any tangible improvements from that money?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Come on URI, it's 2021!

The only thing that doesn't worry me about this is I'm not sure how much has been going to athletics in the first place. Have we seen any tangible improvements from that money?
I believe it's been going to the Foundation since we borrowed against it to extend Hurley.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we have to rob Peter to pay Paul to fund this program, then this program will never be able to compete with even the top of the A10.

Thorr saying we want to compete at the top of the league and regularly go to the NCAA's, is just blowing smoke out of his ass, if this is true.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This program almost always tries to win on a comparative shoestring......it's worked once in a while when we hired the "right" coach.....but they don't stay and things revert to the mediocre mean.....

To be a consistent winner it takes money...something URI just doesn't have.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago This program almost always tries to win on a comparative shoestring......it's worked once in a while when we hired the "right" coach.....but they don't stay and things revert to the mediocre mean.....

The Rick would have been a money 🧲
1 x
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

Seems pretty absurd that we can’t have working Wi-Fi and a scoreboard capable of showing replays. These are hardly large ticket items.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago This program almost always tries to win on a comparative shoestring......it's worked once in a while when we hired the "right" coach.....but they don't stay and things revert to the mediocre mean.....

The Rick would have been a money 🧲

indeed

I wanted him over our going nowhere coach
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

FWIW, Sacred Heart U. has begun construction on a $70 million hockey rink. According to news release brews will be available in the facility once it opens.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago FWIW, Sacred Heart U. has begun construction on a $70 million hockey rink. According to news release brews will be available in the facility once it opens.

And the rink is pretty sweet

SHU campus keeps improving
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago FWIW, Sacred Heart U. has begun construction on a $70 million hockey rink. According to news release brews will be available in the facility once it opens.

And the rink is pretty sweet

SHU campus keeps improving
It's true, a real transformation from what was essentially a commuter school 15 years ago — but the basketball arena is still small-time JV.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Spectra DGAF
Specrta response emails from the Ryan Center are about as canned as you can get. Perfect corporate response, which makes sense because they're owned by Comcast. They most certainly DGAF because the Ryan Center is like a sardine on the food chain of Specrta-owned venues. Companies like Comcast run as lean as possible so knowing that factoid leads me to believe we'll be hard-pressed to see any kind of update in the foreseeable future. The only way they'd probably update the RC capabilities is if there was some company-wide initiative. Other than that they're certainly not going to invest in it since it would cost them "too much".
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Spectra DGAF
Specrta response emails from the Ryan Center are about as canned as you can get. Perfect corporate response, which makes sense because they're owned by Comcast. They most certainly DGAF because the Ryan Center is like a sardine on the food chain of Specrta-owned venues. Companies like Comcast run as lean as possible so knowing that factoid leads me to believe we'll be hard-pressed to see any kind of update in the foreseeable future. The only way they'd probably update the RC capabilities is if there was some company-wide initiative. Other than that they're certainly not going to invest in it since it would cost them "too much".
This has been stated somewhere here before but Spectra doesn't own the Ryan Center, the university does. They manage it on behalf of the university and the budget also comes from URI. It's the same way at many arena's all over the country. Comparing the Dunk for example, it's owned buy RI Convention Center Authority and managed by ASM Global. ASM global isn't paying the operating costs of the Dunk the Convention Center Authority is. For the Dunk's most recent renovation, the management company didn't pay for it the Convention Center Authority and ultimately taxpayers paid for it.

Same thing at URI, the university and or taxpayers through a bond (like the Dunk did) would need to pony up the cash for upgrades.

However a possible answer, (that has been mentioned many times before in this thread) instead of the university, students or taxpayers paying the bill and one that could create an opportunity for additional revenue is alcohol sales & sponsorship/pouring rights. That additional revenue could be used to help pay for these other more costly upgrades. I know some are against it but it's an easy answer if the university would pursue it.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..I do not doubt for a second, that the manner by which the funds are gathered and distributed are not accurate as described, but for me this is another prime example of the difficulties for URI to be big time, and try to fund that with less than full commitment that is needed…….wanna run with the big boys, gotta get off the porch……..champagne dreams on beer budget………this is a negative of our program, even with the many positives to be able to attract higher level coaches……..parking fees anyone?…….anyone?……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

GansettSummer wrote: 2 years ago

Spectra DGAF
This has been stated somewhere here before but Spectra doesn't own the Ryan Center, the university does. They manage it on behalf of the university and the budget also comes from URI. It's the same way at many arena's all over the country. Comparing the Dunk for example, it's owned buy RI Convention Center Authority and managed by ASM Global. ASM global isn't paying the operating costs of the Dunk the Convention Center Authority is. For the Dunk's most recent renovation, the management company didn't pay for it the Convention Center Authority and ultimately taxpayers paid for it.

Same thing at URI, the university and or taxpayers through a bond (like the Dunk did) would need to pony up the cash for upgrades.

However a possible answer, (that has been mentioned many times before in this thread) instead of the university, students or taxpayers paying the bill and one that could create an opportunity for additional revenue is alcohol sales & sponsorship/pouring rights. That additional revenue could be used to help pay for these other more costly upgrades. I know some are against it but it's an easy answer if the university would pursue it.
yes, global spectrum, spectra, spectacore, whatever it is these days are outsourced to run the daily ops of the RC and Boss. I'd say 90% of the FT employees are corporate and shipped in here. not local swamp yankees. work a few years and they're transferred to the next building.

I do not believe the RC needs 'Upgrades' per se. it just needs it's existing equipment to function properly.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..I do not doubt for a second, that the manner by which the funds are gathered and distributed are not accurate as described, but for me this is another prime example of the difficulties for URI to be big time, and try to fund that with less than full commitment that is needed…….wanna run with the big boys, gotta get off the porch……..champagne dreams on beer budget………this is a negative of our program, even with the many positives to be able to attract higher level coaches……..parking fees anyone?…….anyone?……..
the day I pay to park anywhere on campus is the last day I step foot on it.
3 x