12/7 | Sacred Heart | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/7 | Sacred Heart | 6:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago El Amin and Leggett both shot 3’s well. El Amin must shoot more for the teams benefit and also I’ve got him in the contest - haha. But seriously he needs to be more aggressive in shooting.

Leggett also needs to shoot more.

Nice game by Walker

Entire starting 5 removed as stated earlier

Both Mitchell’s were not in the game together as often

Even though the same starting lineup all 10 games now I found myself thinking Cox might insert Walker and Thomas into the starting line up with Sheppard and 1 Mitchell coming in off the bench. Just a hunch based on tonight’s substitution pattern. Probably wrong but let’s see for Milwaukee.

Martin could also get a start based on his hustle, defense, rebounding, scoring ability and energy.
Ramster, you are beginning to see what I have been saying about the line-up and rotation. Thomas is getting better every game - sharp, accurate passer. Bring Makhi off the bench. Get Shepp off the point.

Good sign for Cox's development that he publicly showed his displeasure with players by replacing all of them.
I was impressed he benched the whole starting line up.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Granted their front court was small, but need to give credit to Makhi and Makhel here.

Makhi: 3 turnovers (blah) but only 1 foul

Makhel: 0 turnovers, 1 foul

I’ll take a combined 3 turnovers and 2 fouls out of them every single game.
2 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago The negativity on this board is so pathetic. I mean we won the game by 10. Have you ever watched college basketball before? Do you see what happens with other teams around the country? I just watched Kentucky beat Southern by 12. Kentucky was favored by 28. I guess Kentucky sucks with all of their 5 stars. Teams have ugly wins all the time. Wake up. Stop being whiny bitches.
I admit to not even trying to watch this game and also haven’t read this thread yet, but this is nonsense. First of all, I’m sure that the fans all of the “other teams around the country” that let bad teams hang tough with them get on their message boards and complain afterwards. But that aside, good teams will occasionally struggle with bad teams - this is sports and these are kids, so that happens. Everyone here gets that. The difference between those good teams and us is that sometimes good teams win big important games; sometimes they win 8 or 10 or 12 games in a row; sometimes (most of the time) they run bad teams out of the gym. None of that is true for this team over the last couple of years. If you do all of those things and then throw in an occasional clunker you can forgive that or excuse it as an aberration. When you don’t ever do any of those things then clunkers are just who you are, and that’s what people are frustrated about.

For what it’s worth, among the people that have been “whining” about the team’s performance and the overall state of the program over the last few weeks are some of our most knowledgeable fans. Telling them that they don’t watch college basketball and that they need to wake up is a bad look for you.
What are you talking about that teams win 8,10, or 12 games in a row? Like who? What are you smoking? Anyway, some of the people whining may be knowledgeable for sure, but that doesn't mean they can't be unreasonable. Like I said before, I am a die hard Rhody fan and have been for almost 30 years. I want a winner. I just can't stand the negativity on this board. It's toxic. I'm done.
If you can’t stand the negativity, did you think about becoming a fan of a lower level program? I’m sure their “bar” isn’t A-10 championships and NCAA births.

They’d be thrilled just to win games and not worry about if they were going to be good or not.

Just a suggestion. Negativity tends to follow missed expectations.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
RoadyJay wrote: 2 years ago We pulled away in this one with El Amin, Martin, Walker, Leggett, and only one of the Mitchell twins on the floor. Throw Bassy in there for Martin too. Let’s see more of this 5 (or 6).

I was happy to see Cox send a message early tonight. Also happy to see Sheppard on a short leash. He’s been a non-factor in too many games.

Give me more takes from El Amin. He’s a fan favorite for me. Solid defense and can make big shots. I want to see more minutes and more offense from him.

Give me more back to the basket offense from the Mitchells. Much more productive down low or hitting them moving to the basket. I just can help but cringe when they get the ball at the three point line and make some wild move. Ten games in and I don’t know why this is still a thing.

Antwan Walker is our best player… prove me wrong. So, shouldn’t our best player start?

Start Bassy too, if Sheppard’s woes continue.
……..yes, from your post to Coach’s ears……..but I don’t see it happening…….Sheppard continues to disappoint……..players earning more PT need to be rewarded with more PT………hey what do have to loose?………I guess we can hear from those that say the back to the basket positioning is an era gone by……..

But it is happening
Thomas with 3rd most Minutes last night with career hi 26
Martin tied Thomas with 26 minutes
Sheppard only 12
Makhel solid game
Leggett and El Amin were efficient

These next 3 games are key as David Cox looks for best starting line up and best allocation of minutes for Dayton Dec 30

Winning the A10 is only path for NCAA bid for likely all 14 A10 teams
……..OK fair enough, but for me a one game break out from the past is a good sign, let’s wait and see, yes for the next three games…..see if Coach sustains this kinda thinking in distribution of minutes………turning a corner…….? I think we can see the corner……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I am also in the camp that Walker should start and possibly Martin. at least for now.
It seems that Cox is locked into this starting 5.
I just feel he needs to do something from the get-go to shake things up.
Shep who I thought would have a breakout season, just hasn't been there so far.

Since watching them in Florida and these past several games, they are not playing well, actually very disappointing.
Our record is not indicative of how good we are, if it was tougher, we would be below .500.
I throw out the Georgia State game because they were barely able to field a team.

At this point every game is going to be a challenge, no byes on our schedule.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

SimpleJack wrote: 2 years ago I’ve been a longtime follower of this team and have read every message posted on this board for over three years now. Happy to be able to be a part of it. I just want to say I think it’s time we stop referring to the twins as “the Mitchell’s” and start distinguishing between the two because Makhel is clearly much better than Makhi, IMO, and it seems like Makhi’s mistakes attach to Makhel unfairly at times. Not that Makhel is perfect but he seems to play much more under control than his brother and also exemplifies a much higher basketball IQ between the two.
What is interesting is coming out of high school, the exact opposite was true. Makhi was considered the "better twin". To the point there were rumors that certain program's were only willing to take him and not Makhel. Obviously I can't speak to the truth of those rumors. I do think there is some rust coming off Makhi's game having been out for the majority of last season.
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I’m all for starting Thomas & bring Sheppard off the bench. Jeremy does not do much do make players around him better and the he disappears way too much offensively. Thomas is a true PG and shows a lot of poise for a freshman. Start BASSY
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Whoever said Bassy is like Yuri Collins on SLU a couple game threads ago I 100% agree with that statement now
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SimpleJack wrote: 2 years ago I’ve been a longtime follower of this team and have read every message posted on this board for over three years now. Happy to be able to be a part of it. I just want to say I think it’s time we stop referring to the twins as “the Mitchell’s” and start distinguishing between the two because Makhel is clearly much better than Makhi, IMO, and it seems like Makhi’s mistakes attach to Makhel unfairly at times. Not that Makhel is perfect but he seems to play much more under control than his brother and also exemplifies a much higher basketball IQ between the two.
Great point. I remember seeing after the PC game that "The Mitchell Twins had five turnovers combined!"

Makhel had 0 turnovers.
Makhi had 5.

They didn't "combine" to do anything.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

To be fair in discussing the Mitchell’s, Makhel is essentially a year older development wise right now. It would be concerning if he didn’t look more polished than his brother who sat out a year with injury.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago To be fair in discussing the Mitchell’s, Makhel is essentially a year older development wise right now. It would be concerning if he didn’t look more polished than his brother who sat out a year with injury.
Yes, which is why many on this board feel Walker should be starting over Makhi. He brings more energy and the most athleticism, also the best FG% on the team.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

I admit to not even trying to watch this game and also haven’t read this thread yet, but this is nonsense. First of all, I’m sure that the fans all of the “other teams around the country” that let bad teams hang tough with them get on their message boards and complain afterwards. But that aside, good teams will occasionally struggle with bad teams - this is sports and these are kids, so that happens. Everyone here gets that. The difference between those good teams and us is that sometimes good teams win big important games; sometimes they win 8 or 10 or 12 games in a row; sometimes (most of the time) they run bad teams out of the gym. None of that is true for this team over the last couple of years. If you do all of those things and then throw in an occasional clunker you can forgive that or excuse it as an aberration. When you don’t ever do any of those things then clunkers are just who you are, and that’s what people are frustrated about.

For what it’s worth, among the people that have been “whining” about the team’s performance and the overall state of the program over the last few weeks are some of our most knowledgeable fans. Telling them that they don’t watch college basketball and that they need to wake up is a bad look for you.
What are you talking about that teams win 8,10, or 12 games in a row? Like who? What are you smoking? Anyway, some of the people whining may be knowledgeable for sure, but that doesn't mean they can't be unreasonable. Like I said before, I am a die hard Rhody fan and have been for almost 30 years. I want a winner. I just can't stand the negativity on this board. It's toxic. I'm done.
If you can’t stand the negativity, did you think about becoming a fan of a lower level program? I’m sure their “bar” isn’t A-10 championships and NCAA births.

They’d be thrilled just to win games and not worry about if they were going to be good or not.

I have a close family friend who is in his 80's...was an amazing basketball player (from New Haven) and has more basketball knowledge than most on KB. Over the years, as a Uconn fan, he was constantly criticizing Calhoun and saying that he wasn't a good coach, yet Calhoun won 3 national championships and is in the HOF. Now, he criticizes Hurley and does not have faith in him. My point is, some people can just be unreasonable.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have a close family friend who is in his 80's...was an amazing basketball player (from New Haven) and has more basketball knowledge than most on KB. Over the years, as a Uconn fan, he was constantly criticizing Calhoun and saying that he wasn't a good coach, yet Calhoun won 3 national championships and is in the HOF. Now, he criticizes Hurley and does not have faith in him. My point is, some people can just be unreasonable.
NYCT,
How was your 80 year old family friend during the Ollie years? And was he happy UCONN got Hurley at the beginning and then gradually soured on him?

Funny how Hurley has UCONN NET 11 and yet doesn't seem to get he credit that others might.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

NYCT,
How was your 80 year old family friend during the Ollie years? And was he happy UCONN got Hurley at the beginning and then gradually soured on him?

Funny how Hurley has UCONN NET 11 and yet doesn't seem to get he credit that others might.
Oh, he thought Ollie was terrible. But the point is that fans, even very knowledgable ones can be unreasonable. When he says stuff like that it goes in one ear and out the other. I do think most people would agree that Hurley is doing a good job and that Uconn has a legitimately good team this year. Not sure how anyone can disagree right now.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago That was a pretty uninspiring performance.. at least Steve McDonald thanked everyone for coming on post game show.. even that is disappointing. Used to get us 3/4 of way home. Only 1/2 way now. Need don kaull and Chris disano back.. only positive I have is ish Al Amin finally became more assertive on both ends of court in the second half. Would like to see that continue..
The post game show has turned into one long commercial with a few comments about the game in-between. And all of those comments are sponsored.

I caught some of it driving home from the game last night and when Cox was asked whether the "benching" of Sheppard was injury-related or coach's decision, he replied "coach's decision" without hesitation. I will also comment that Cox was pretty fired up on the sidelines to start the second half which is unusual. Thought the team played with more energy after that.

It's a win, we'll take it.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYCT,

Oh, he thought Ollie was terrible. But the point is that fans, even very knowledgable ones can be unreasonable. When he says stuff like that it goes in one ear and out the other. I do think most people would agree that Hurley is doing a good job and that Uconn has a legitimately good team this year. Not sure how anyone can disagree right now.
Yep, I knew what you meant. When you think of relativity, one would thing your 80 year old friend soul be happy relative to having had Ollie previously, that’s why I asked. But in reality even having Ollie, then Hurley really didn’t make him happy.

In reality - haha - were favored by about 15, won by 10 but still won. Not like losing to Texas Southern like Florida. Quite a few good things from last nights game as have already been mentioned. Not the blowout some wanted but that kid from SHU is a player. 7-14 on 3Ps and 30 points. One of better efforts I’ve seen in person at the Ryan Center in the last few years.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I still don't get that argument, though. Calhoun won a lot and is one of the goats. Dan led Uconn to a bid last year and has them set up as a second-weekend team this season.

David Cox's best season was us collapsing and about to receive an NIT bid before COVID hit. We now have to win the A10 tournament to receive a bid this season. How are we anything like your friend since Cox hasn't done anything yet?
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sounds like he doesn't have has much basketball knowledge as you think.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Besides Walker not starting and getting more minutes the other odd thing is why doesn’t he move Shep off the ball and try him at scoring guard when he brings in Thomas. So far every time Thomas comes in it’s for Shep. I don’t think they have played any minutes together. Shep isn’t a natural PG so the like for like sub doesn’t make sense. Shep is our best shooter, he creates space for everyone. Why not try them together at some points?
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How happy you are with most situations is partially a result of your expectations. Your friend has very high expectations for UConn…good for him. Wish I could say the same for us.

I was at the PC game with a very long time Rams fan, and he kept saying we are going to get killed. He said it’s a defense mechanism to lower his expectations after decades of mostly disappointing results.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think Sheppard got pulled more for his defense last night, not for his offense.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago That was a pretty uninspiring performance.. at least Steve McDonald thanked everyone for coming on post game show.. even that is disappointing. Used to get us 3/4 of way home. Only 1/2 way now. Need don kaull and Chris disano back.. only positive I have is ish Al Amin finally became more assertive on both ends of court in the second half. Would like to see that continue..
The post game show has turned into one long commercial with a few comments about the game in-between. And all of those comments are sponsored.

I caught some of it driving home from the game last night and when Cox was asked whether the "benching" of Sheppard was injury-related or coach's decision, he replied "coach's decision" without hesitation. I will also comment that Cox was pretty fired up on the sidelines to start the second half which is unusual. Thought the team played with more energy after that.

So you have to wonder how much of the team's lack of energy at the start of the game came from Cox since he wasn't exactly fired up even when Sacred Heart was taking it to us
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I think She got pulled more for his defense last night, not for his offense.
Agreed. And most times he has gotten pulled has been for his lack of focus on D. However it still doesn’t make sense that he is treating a natural PG and a combo Guard as like for like subs every time he makes the call for Thomas. For our bigs and even Leggett who is a slasher to be effective you need spacing. Shep spaces the floor. It would make things easier on Thomas to have another shooter out there. At least give it a try. 10 games in and I don’t think they have ever been on floor together. Does Cox recall that last season Shep played all year off the ball with Fatts as PG.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I think She got pulled more for his defense last night, not for his offense.
Agreed. And most times he has gotten pulled has been for his lack of focus on D. However it still doesn’t make sense that he is treating a natural PG and a combo Guard as like for like subs every time he makes the call for Thomas. For our bigs and even Leggett who is a slasher to be effective you need spacing. Shep spaces the floor. It would make things easier on Thomas to have another shooter out there. At least give it a try. 10 games in and I don’t think they have ever been on floor together. Does Cox recall that last season Shep played all year off the ball with Fatts as PG.
Yup. He used to play Carey and Thomas together. Now he has Thomas come in for Shep. I totally agree that I would love to have Shep play off the ball more. He's still one of our most important players and he's clearly not comfortable at the point.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Thomas can’t shoot. Carey can’t shoot. Why would you ever deploy them together? But agree early in the season he did that often. Thomas, Leggett, the twins all get infinitely more effective with space. So surround them with your best shooters (El Amin and Shep).
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NYCT,

I understand. That said considering in the Hurley years, and mid-baron, I was probably the most optimistic poster in this fanbase.

So maybe it’s not that I’m unreasonable, just that I can distinguish between coaches and understand we’re not seeing a good one.

Sue me if I hold the coach to the standards he told us he was setting.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Thomas can’t shoot. Carey can’t shoot. Why would you ever deploy them together? But agree early in the season he did that often. Thomas, Leggett, the twins all get infinitely more effective with space. So surround them with your best shooters (El Amin and Shep).
I have no idea but that's what Cox was doing before Carey got hurt.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Listen, I think more like you guys than you realize. I want the tournament every year and I want a final four. I am a huge Rhody fan and fan of college hoops. I wanted Hurley to be our coach for a long time and was very disappointed when he left.

I just think that we aren't a bad team (7-3) and I'm not closing the book on us on 12/8. Our schedule is weak but it is what it is, and we are who we are right now. Teams can grow and get better over the course of the season, and teams can get worse. Let's see what happens. I said it before, if we don't dance or at the very least just miss the NCAA cut, a coaching change should be made.

I respect the passion and desire to win that a lot of you have. And you should be unhappy when we look terrible. Maybe I am more forgiving. I just know that every season will have its ups and downs, and ugly wins and bad losses. This is true for the vast majority of teams in the country.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

So you have to wonder how much of the team's lack of energy at the start of the game came from Cox since he wasn't exactly fired up even when Sacred Heart was taking it to us
Agree. He's the opposite of fired up 99% of the time. I get that it's his demeanor, but it has to rub off on the players even subconsciously...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

We’ll see where we go from here, but I think we can all agree this team is better when Shep is part of the lineup. Purest shooter we have. Need that on a team that lacks overall shooting to begin with
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……purest shooter, sure…….how he is being used in the lineup, for me is the concern, needs to set up with catch and shoot situations, with someone else running the point…….no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Listen, I think more like you guys than you realize. I want the tournament every year and I want a final four. I am a huge Rhody fan and fan of college hoops. I wanted Hurley to be our coach for a long time and was very disappointed when he left.

I just think that we aren't a bad team (7-3) and I'm not closing the book on us on 12/8. Our schedule is weak but it is what it is, and we are who we are right now. Teams can grow and get better over the course of the season, and teams can get worse. Let's see what happens. I said it before, if we don't dance or at the very least just miss the NCAA cut, a coaching change should be made.

I respect the passion and desire to win that a lot of you have. And you should be unhappy when we look terrible. Maybe I am more forgiving. I just know that every season will have its ups and downs, and ugly wins and bad losses. This is true for the vast majority of teams in the country.
You contradicted yourself.... "We aren't a bad team (7-3)"...."Our schedule is weak".
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Makhel Mitchell is becoming a very good player. I will try to refrain from the twins commentary in the future.

Makhi Mitchell is struggling and needs coaching to become a player who makes a positive overall impact. If this staff fails to coach him up, or allocate minutes properly to others playing better, it may affect their employment opportunities in the future. If they do coach him up we should be a tough team to beat in A-10 play.

Sebastian Thomas had some nice passes last night but not looking for his minutes to increase. I was a little surprised when Thomas tried to pass to IAF in the corner late in the shot clock when he was defended instead of a wide open Tres Berry with his hand up and toes just behind the three point line. Thomas is average on defense and needs work on his shot. If our Thomas shot like their Thomas would be a different story.

I was at the game last night annoyed that we were letting Sacred Heart hang around. I'm a little nervous about our remaining out of conference schedule even though it is weak.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..for me, I think Bassy’s defense is pretty good; by that I mean, the keys for me are always; good pressure on the ball, good see-the-man/see-the-ball positioning off the ball, hands in the passing lanes, looks to help out defense………all I can ask for……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We should arrange for Kenny Green to put some work in with the twins. He could teach them a LOT.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Listen, I think more like you guys than you realize. I want the tournament every year and I want a final four. I am a huge Rhody fan and fan of college hoops. I wanted Hurley to be our coach for a long time and was very disappointed when he left.

See this is the crux of the argument. 7-3 doesn’t mean anything based on our schedule.

If we played PC’s schedule we’d be 3-7 AT BEST. Would you say we were a good team then?

College basketball is about more than wins and losses at this level. We have NCAA aspirations year in year out. The new head coach said “that was the bar” so this record and this schedule are unbecoming of a program with those expectations.

It’s even worse when you realize it’s year 4 and in every program, this is the year where you’re supposed to be competitive and risen after a change.

It’s even worse when you understand how this team has closed the first 3 seasons out and when you look at how far the talent has fallen on your team from having a Jeff Dowtin - yeah we’re miserable.

We’re going to be miserable until there’s a change that signals we won’t suck like this forever.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bassy is like the backup QB. He's gonna be a fan favorite and every mistake Shep makes is going to turn into Thomas should be playing.

He has exceeded expectations but is still limited. He is our best passer but probably our worst shooter (along w/Carey). He's also a true FR that was supposed to be doing a prep year this season. Playing him 25-30 minutes a night isn't the answer. He has earned 15-20 minutes a night and I would like to see some of those minutes be with Shep on the court and moved to 2G. Can't play the modern game without spacing and Shep is one of our only guys you have to fear out to 25 feet.

If it were me I would limit minutes of both Mitchells on floor at same time.
1. Have at least 2 dependable shooters in the game at all times (Shep, El-Amin, Ish, Walker).
2. Start Antwan and actually have some designed sets aimed at getting him the ball on the low block as well as getting him in pick and pop situations. He is shooting 45% from 3 albeit on limited attempts. But his stroke looks very good when he is toes to the line and in rhythm.

The minute you put multiple bigs in the game (both Mitchells) as well as guys who aren't great shooters (Bassy, Malik, Carey) you are creating a bad situation for everyone. The twins struggle in tight spaces which results in turnovers and offensive charges. Leggett and Martin struggle in tight spaces and have tendency to try and bull in a china shop it through traffic usually with bad outcomes. This is about how to deploy the skill sets in the best manner and sometimes Cox's read of the game is questionable in how he does it.
7 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I like that Thomas got more p/t last night but we need to pump the breaks on anointing him the next coming.. it was a good opponent to increase his playing time against.. he had some good moments and not so good ones but I'm good with that.. love to see a true point guard on the court. Physically he may not be ready for more than 15-20 minutes against better competition. He was begging out at end of first half (tired) but cox screamed at him and made him tough it out.. 2nd half he tweaked something came out and went straight to locker room.. he needs to get stronger.. I think cox did a good job with him last night.. this team needs makhi to improve.. a few times he was in lane for close in shots and either passed it out or dribbled into trouble. Go right up with it big guy.. El Amin played in 2nd half like we need him to. And Shep needs to get going.. hopefully he got the message last night. Not loving cox as a coach but actually think he did some good things last night.. I'll duck from getting things thrown at me for that comment 🍻
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Bassy is like the backup QB. He's gonna be a fan favorite and every mistake Shep makes is going to turn into Thomas should be playing.

He has exceeded expectations but is still limited. He is our best passer but probably our worst shooter (along w/Carey). He's also a true FR that was supposed to be doing a prep year this season. Playing him 25-30 minutes a night isn't the answer. He has earned 15-20 minutes a night and I would like to see some of those minutes be with Shep on the court and moved to 2G. Can't play the modern game without spacing and Shep is one of our only guys you have to fear out to 25 feet.
I agree with all of this. I like what he's shown so far, but coming into last night's game, I mentioned that his turnovers were probably so low because he wasn't really making much of an effort to score and shoot on offense - just facilitate. Against Sacred Heart, he had a season high six shot attempts and 26 MP... and four turnovers. The growing pains of a young player means he's not the silver bullet substitution answer here. I will agree with the other posters though who have suggested that Thomas and Sheppard should get some run together, and not seen as always being a one-to-one sub for one another.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Omg 4928 attendance?

Cmon. 2/3 full!?

I doubt there were even that many tickets sold.

Tell me they’re just scanning extra tickets to say they’re filling the stands.

There is no effing way that there were 4928 there. I wasn't there but was listening to Steve on the radio. It sounded like a nearly empty high school gymnasium.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago I like that Thomas got more p/t last night but we need to pump the breaks on anointing him the next coming.. it was a good opponent to increase his playing time against.. he had some good moments and not so good ones but I'm good with that.. love to see a true point guard on the court. Physically he may not be ready for more than 15-20 minutes against better competition. He was begging out at end of first half (tired) but cox screamed at him and made him tough it out.. 2nd half he tweaked something came out and went straight to locker room.. he needs to get stronger.. I think cox did a good job with him last night.. this team needs makhi to improve.. a few times he was in lane for close in shots and either passed it out or dribbled into trouble. Go right up with it big guy.. El Amin played in 2nd half like we need him to. And Shep needs to get going.. hopefully he got the message last night. Not loving cox as a coach but actually think he did some good things last night.. I'll duck from getting things thrown at me for that comment 🍻

I don't think anyone thinks Thomas is the next coming. I think people like that he's a pass-first point guard who typically makes the smart plan. Our offense runs better with him on the floor. I think he's a solid starting point guard at best because he's very limited offensively.. But every good team needs a good point guard.. Surround Thomas with scorers, and we can succeed.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago I like that Thomas got more p/t last night but we need to pump the breaks on anointing him the next coming.. it was a good opponent to increase his playing time against.. he had some good moments and not so good ones but I'm good with that.. love to see a true point guard on the court. Physically he may not be ready for more than 15-20 minutes against better competition. He was begging out at end of first half (tired) but cox screamed at him and made him tough it out.. 2nd half he tweaked something came out and went straight to locker room.. he needs to get stronger.. I think cox did a good job with him last night.. this team needs makhi to improve.. a few times he was in lane for close in shots and either passed it out or dribbled into trouble. Go right up with it big guy.. El Amin played in 2nd half like we need him to. And Shep needs to get going.. hopefully he got the message last night. Not loving cox as a coach but actually think he did some good things last night.. I'll duck from getting things thrown at me for that comment 🍻

I don't think anyone thinks Thomas is the next coming. I think people like that he's a pass-first point guard who typically makes the smart plan. Our offense runs better with him on the floor. I think he's a solid starting point guard at best because he's very limited offensively.. But every good team needs a good point guard.. Surround Thomas with scorers, and we can succeed.
FWIW, Thomas' DRTG is also the worst of nine regular rotation players. That's not to be unexpected from a freshman, but Sheppard's is the best among the guards on the team, since I usually classify Carey and Martin as wings. It currently goes Sheppard (99.1), Leggett (100.3), El-Amin (101.8) and Thomas (102.2). Martin is at 97.1. Some of it is because he's playing in garbage time more than the starters, but Thomas' steals per 100 possessions (1.4) are low, and he's at 4.3 fouls per 40 minutes, which is high for a guard.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Like in A10 games where teams don’t have a lot of size I would even experiment with this lineup

Walker
Martin
Either Ish
Shep
Thomas

Surround him with 4 guys that can shoot. Spread the floor for Ish and Shep to drive. That is setting him up better for success than putting him out there with both twins and Malik or Carey.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago Makhel Mitchell is becoming a very good player. I will try to refrain from the twins commentary in the future.

Makhi Mitchell is struggling and needs coaching to become a player who makes a positive overall impact. If this staff fails to coach him up, or allocate minutes properly to others playing better, it may affect their employment opportunities in the future. If they do coach him up we should be a tough team to beat in A-10 play.

Sebastian Thomas had some nice passes last night but not looking for his minutes to increase. I was a little surprised when Thomas tried to pass to IAF in the corner late in the shot clock when he was defended instead of a wide open Tres Berry with his hand up and toes just behind the three point line. Thomas is average on defense and needs work on his shot. If our Thomas shot like their Thomas would be a different story.

I was at the game last night annoyed that we were letting Sacred Heart hang around. I'm a little nervous about our remaining out of conference schedule even though it is weak.
I disagree that Thomas is average on defense. I think he has the potential to be a very solid defender for us... Thomas works his ass off on the defensive end. He stays very low. Slides well. He also uses his hands well. He seems to follow the midsection and not the ball. When players start to dribble he doesn't reach. I rarely see him fall for pump fakes or leave his feet like many guys on our team. Where he has trouble is his lack of strength. Bigger guards will be able to bully him a little. But that's something that will come as he gets older and keeps working in the weight room.
Last edited by steveystuds06 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Thomas is a nice story and has shown potential. BUT..... Not an A-10 point guard. He is a back up and if he is going to save Cox and this season we are in a world of hurt. I had to take some time away from the board and I'm glad I did. Ugh! We are going backwards and that is never a good sign. Hope the staff is going to find a transfer point guard or else we will struggle next year too. Still don't understand why we haven't tried Ish L. at this spot. Hell, we are going with three guards who are all capable with the ball. Just make a freaking entry and get the ball moving with player movement. Ball movement and player movement. Stop with the ball sticking! I was trying to be as optimistic and positive as possible early on and I thought we were turning the corner but this has unraveled really fast. I am definitely leaning toward cutting bait at the conclusion of this year.

And yes for those of us who have been fans for 30 plus years we have seen this before. I would rather have a Baron coached team then what is going on here now.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Once again I don't think ANYONE on here thinks Thomas is going to save Cox this season. He's not remotely ready to be that guy.. Shep hasn't played well at the point. We want someone that can run this team better than he has. Thomas seems like the only option. Put him around shooters and let's see what happens..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Once again I don't think ANYONE on here thinks Thomas is going to save Cox this season. He's not remotely ready to be that guy.. Shep hasn't played well at the point. We want someone that can run this team better than he has. Thomas seems like the only option. Put him around shooters and let's see what happens..
I guess I bristle a bit at this, because even if you think Sheppard hasn't played well at the point, he still holds the edge in pretty much all of the per 40 minute stats except assists (5.2 vs. 4.2) and turnovers (2.2 vs. 1.8). Those are also marginal edges in secondarily important stats, whereas Sheppard is double Thomas in points per 40, and PER (17.1 vs. 8.0). The likelihood that Thomas will be better than Sheppard by the end of the year strikes me as almost nil, so while I think you can bump Thomas' minutes a bit here, it would be folly if they were even playing equal time.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago ...
The likelihood that Thomas will be better than Sheppard by the end of the year strikes me as almost nil, so while I think you can bump Thomas' minutes a bit here, it would be folly if they were even playing equal time.
Thomas and Shepp should NOT be competing for minutes. Thomas is a PG, Shepp isn't. I would rather see Ish at PG than Shepp.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago We should arrange for Kenny Green to put some work in with the twins. He could teach them a LOT.
Starting with how to be the fulcrum of the offense against a 2-3 zone -- flash to the free-throw line, catch, turn and pass, shoot or drive, just like how he destroyed Syracuse in '88.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago ...
The likelihood that Thomas will be better than Sheppard by the end of the year strikes me as almost nil, so while I think you can bump Thomas' minutes a bit here, it would be folly if they were even playing equal time.
Thomas and Shepp should NOT be competing for minutes. Thomas is a PG, Shepp isn't. I would rather see Ish at PG than Shepp.
You're right, and with different abilities.
0 x
GO RAMS