David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CUT BAIT

HIRE ARCHIE

GOOD RIDDANCE COX

i am so over the mediocrity

make this happen yesterday already and get it over with

we are going nowhere w cox

been hoping that he proved me wrong since year #1 and i still hope he proves me wrong if he is still the coach

but and now look at us

this is not fun anymore

get rid of him

time to move on and no better time than now when we can get archie

at least inquire if any interest from him
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I was squarely on the side of give Cox a chance this year - but I am definitely leaning the other way now.
Cox will be the coach through the end of the year so I'm still giving him a chance. We don't have much of a choice, right?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I was squarely on the side of give Cox a chance this year - but I am definitely leaning the other way now.
Cox will be the coach through the end of the year so I'm still giving him a chance. We don't have much of a choice, right?
The only “very small” concern I have, is a 22-9 record and a baron-like apologist type argument that we should extend him.

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, the best thing for URI to do is to tank, and tank hard, so that we get a head start on a new voice in the coach’s chair.

I want a good program, as do most here, I just don’t think that a “successful” season not ending in an NCAA birth helps us at all.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
The only “very small” concern I have, is a 22-9 record and a baron-like apologist type argument that we should extend him.

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, the best thing for URI to do is to tank, and tank hard, so that we get a head start on a new voice in the coach’s chair.

I want a good program, as do most here, I just don’t think that a “successful” season not ending in an NCAA birth helps us at all.
We will not get to 22-9 unless he changes things up drastically. If he finally finds his coaching chops so be it.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My "counter" to that is, that if he is the coach he has shown to be, there is now way we go 22-9. Unless he significantly improves, we lose to Dayton, Davidson, Richmond, most road games. .500 tops.

I want to be wrong. I want them to win the rest of the OOC (which they should) and 18-0 in conference (yes, even in the best of times, that's unrealistic - our two best are 14-4 (1988) and 15-3 (2019)).

Still, looking at the schedule, unless something drastically changes, I see them going 9-9 in conference. I only have them sweeping GW and perhaps SJU. After last year's fiasco with UMass, I can't count on that sweep and frankly this team just isn't good enough to count on any sure fire win.

I think they get swept vs. Dayton, and possibly Davidson, and the other ones they split.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

My "counter" to that is, that if he is the coach he has shown to be, there is now way we go 22-9. Unless he significantly improves, we lose to Dayton, Davidson, Richmond, most road games. .500 tops.

I want to be wrong. I want them to win the rest of the OOC (which they should) and 18-0 in conference (yes, even in the best of times, that's unrealistic - our two best are 14-4 (1988) and 15-3 (2019)).

Still, looking at the schedule, unless something drastically changes, I see them going 9-9 in conference. I only have them sweeping GW and perhaps SJU. After last year's fiasco with UMass, I can't count on that sweep and frankly this team just isn't good enough to count on any sure fire win.

I think they get swept vs. Dayton, and possibly Davidson, and the other ones they split.
Oh yes, 100% agree.

I'm just saying, the WORST thing for this program would be a result similar to that.

Not to say I'm "rooting" for URI to lose per se, but I am rooting for a new coach that can bring us back to what Hurley showed this program can be.

And if a year of suck makes that change to get us back to a competitive program? I'm all for it.

I just don't want a "20 win season" or a run that ends in the A-10 final and somehow a rogue donor or something says we need to give Cox another chance, aka a 2 year extension, and then we're stuck here in purgatory.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Just re-looking at the 2016-17 schedule and boy were we mediocre most of that season. 1 win against Cincy in the HOF tournament. We got spanked by both La Salle and Fordham in conference. I really think this present team is sort of comparable with a lot of experienced guards but were not winning. Jeff Dowtin's emergence saved that season.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Just re-looking at the 2016-17 schedule and boy were we mediocre most of that season. 1 win against Cincy in the HOF tournament. We got spanked by both La Salle and Fordham in conference. I really think this present team is sort of comparable with a lot of experienced guards but were not winning. Jeff Dowtin's emergence saved that season.

Hahahahaha did you just compare this team to a team who won the A10 tournament and won an NCAA game and should’ve been in the Sweet 16?

This team isn’t REMOTELY CLOSE in terms of talent, coaching, ANYTHING to that team.
7 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago Just re-looking at the 2016-17 schedule and boy were we mediocre most of that season. 1 win against Cincy in the HOF tournament. We got spanked by both La Salle and Fordham in conference. I really think this present team is sort of comparable with a lot of experienced guards but were not winning. Jeff Dowtin's emergence saved that season.
ummmm no
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Langel is 44 years old been at Colgate since 2011 and before that was an assistant at Temple and Penn , what you guys think ??
Pass.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't see how this team is comparable. That team had two guards that have had cups of coffee in the NBA, had a kenpom no worse than 56 all season and had a win over a top 25 team on a neutral court. This team doesn't have anything close to what that team had
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Why did you think this?

Why did you write this?

Why did you post it after you thought it and wrote it?
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago

Well 2 of the most outrageously out of touch pro-Cox posters were the same guy, and he/they are gone.

The remaining anger gives me hope that this fanbase has actual expectations for success and isn’t ok with another Baron run.
Who are they?
DC Rams and TJ Rams are the same person. DC Rams said he was leaving. Then all of a sudden, TJ Rams comes on and says he’s a new poster. He’s pretending to be nicer than DC, but I could tell it was him. I ask TJ Rams if he is DC Rams. TJ Rams says “No, I'm more reserved than DC Rams”. Blueman asked the mods to confirm that.... TJ was lying. He's always been DC Rams.
I know I sometimes have too much time on my hands...but, I never once got to the point where I said, "Self, don't just don't sit around doing absolutely nothing...get off your ass and create another message board ID."
8 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Hindsight being what it is, you could argue that's the best URI team since the Elite Eight.

They played 17 top-100 games per KenPom -- 10-7 overall, 8-2 in the last 10. That second loss was to Oregon. The defeats cited here by RhodyLaw were brutal, yes, but that team improved over time and showed tremendous collective character down the stretch.

Terrell and Martin specifically were born leaders (in very different fashions). Put them in a game with real stakes against this current team and it wouldn't be their blood on the floor.
Last edited by Bill Koch 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
10 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Why did you think this?

Why did you write this?

Why did you post it after you thought it and wrote it?
I think you know why.

Finally shutting down a hurting Jarvis (dude is a warrior but he was dying from the inside out!) and increasing Jeff’s minutes did a lot for that group. The 16-17 team lost some games they shouldn’t have and it made you furious and mad at every single coach and player. So far, this team loses and it’s kind of like yeah, that’s about right. The first seems preferable.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bill Koch wrote: 2 years ago
Hindsight being what it is, you could argue that's the best URI team since the Elite Eight.

They played 17 top-100 games per KenPom -- 10-7 overall, 8-2 in the last 10. That second loss was to Oregon. The defeats cited here by RhodyLaw were brutal, yes, but that team improved over time and showed tremendous collective character down the stretch.

Terrell and Martin specifically were born leaders (in very different fashions). Put them in a game with real stakes against this current team and it wouldn't be their blood on the floor.
To piggyback, their losses were to #14 KenPom Duke, #104 Valparaiso, #60 Providence, #52 Houston, #39 Dayton, #140 La Salle, #92 Richmond, #39 Dayton again, #202 Fordham, and # 10 Oregon. It would have been nice to have the Valparaiso and La Salle games as wins, but really the only truly horrific loss from that season was Fordham.

This team already has losses to #146 Tulsa, #204 Florida Gulf Coast, and #53 Providence. 9 games in and we already have two losses as bad or worse than our 2 bad losses from that season
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

well you could.. show some balls.. and CUT BAIT

get rid of this clown
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Those last two seasons under Hurley, not only was URI in a better non conference tournament than we've been in, but they were able to win a game to get to another marquee opponent (vs. Cincinnati to face Duke and vs. Seton Hall to face Virginia). Now, the tourneys aren't as good and they are losing in the first round, so lose a chance at a better opponent. Last year, if they beat BC They play Villanova.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago

get rid of this clown
Hold on - while as much as I agree that Cox isn't getting it done - let's not call the man a clown. I really like the man and want him to succeed. He may not be the right coach, but let's take it down a notch. He's still a good man.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea hes a good guy, but the wrong man for the job. Coaches get axed mid season from time to time. My questions is how would the players respond?
2 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago Well the temperature of this thread certainly changed - huh!?

Some of you were so desperate to defend this inept coach of ours that you actually got salty about the title being written in all CAPS. Amazing what losing to PC will do for you.

So lets spark this thing! Speed this bus up! What can we do? Billboards? Go Fund Me's? Emails to the wine dude? Print out all 10 pages of this thread and overnight it to Thorr and Cox? If we are going to blow it up and start over - lets like REALLY blow it up. I personally want the university to make sure we hire the right guy, with the right staff. Let them know that this fanbase isn't going to sit by and take their empty promises and "easy, feel good story" hires.

I am fired up!
Well 2 of the most outrageously out of touch pro-Cox posters were the same guy, and he/they are gone.

The remaining anger gives me hope that this fanbase has actual expectations for success and isn’t ok with another Baron run.
That was me who didn't like the FIRE COX thread. DC_Rams had some comments too but I made the comment about the Caps too - I don't think anyone else agreed with me.

For me it's the same as the Hurley year when Jim Baron 2.0 thread started up. I wanted to give him a chance through the end of the year. Vast majority didn't.
Same thing now. Cox has not been extended, no raise. Thorr knows what he is doing I believe. Let the season play out. I'm still thinking this team goes into A10 play at 10-3, then goes 15-3 in A10 to finish 25-6. Crazy? Probably but I am on track with 6-3 right now. I had PC as a loss.

Last season we only won 10 games. We are already at 60% of last seasons wins!!

Best thing that could happen is URI wins the A10 Tournament. A10 is a 1 bid league this year. At this point there is not a runaway team in the A10 for the NCAA Auto Bid. WHY NOT US????
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes that is probably not going to happen but it does have a small shot 10-3 OOC and 12-6 in conf

I would guess 20-11 now and hopefully that makes Thorrs job easier to move on from DC
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
BlackDogRants wrote: 2 years ago Well the temperature of this thread certainly changed - huh!?

Some of you were so desperate to defend this inept coach of ours that you actually got salty about the title being written in all CAPS. Amazing what losing to PC will do for you.

So lets spark this thing! Speed this bus up! What can we do? Billboards? Go Fund Me's? Emails to the wine dude? Print out all 10 pages of this thread and overnight it to Thorr and Cox? If we are going to blow it up and start over - lets like REALLY blow it up. I personally want the university to make sure we hire the right guy, with the right staff. Let them know that this fanbase isn't going to sit by and take their empty promises and "easy, feel good story" hires.

I am fired up!

That was me who didn't like the FIRE COX thread. DC_Rams had some comments too but I made the comment about the Caps too - I don't think anyone else agreed with me.

For me it's the same as the Hurley year when Jim Baron 2.0 thread started up. I wanted to give him a chance through the end of the year. Vast majority didn't.
Same thing now. Cox has not been extended, no raise. Thorr knows what he is doing I believe. Let the season play out. I'm still thinking this team goes into A10 play at 10-3, then goes 15-3 in A10 to finish 25-6. Crazy? Probably but I am on track with 6-3 right now. I had PC as a loss.

Best thing that could happen is URI wins the A10 Tournament. A10 is a 1 bid league this year. At this point there is not a runaway team in the A10 for the NCAA Auto Bid. WHY NOT US????
Most of us had our funeral already, so we’ll be here to catch you when you fall. It’s a tough journey you’re embarking on. Godspeed.

But as for comparing wins, we’ve played a schedule of exclusively Q3/Q4 games (minus PC who is always there).

Win totals are meaningless.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Come on fellas! Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Bill Koch wrote: 2 years ago

Thanks for reminding us how great that team was, Bill. I picked a great season to start going to games.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..what are the selling points of the URI that would attract coaches?…….serious question…..…..remind me of what a great job the Rhody job is……..
really good facilities (and no, I’m not counting the mythical practice facility); a generally good location especially for those coaches with northeast/DMV recruiting connections; a conference that can be frustrating but is at least being proactive with adding Loyola; potential for competitive salary; recent proof that you can get to the tournament and win (2018 today is a lot better than 1999 in 2012); success in Kingston can lead to a better job if it’s what you want (I’m sorry, that sucks, too, but it’s also good); a former coach that, if asked by a candidate, would have a lot of good things to say; a budget that is at least in the top half of your conference (or it was last time I checked)

Close by, beautiful and historical Amtrak station for East access to Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore and DC.

Beautiful and very Safe Campus - something players and especially parents love to see

Beautiful Ryan Center - a facility I appreciate even more after visiting other schools. Easy to take for granted after 20 years.

An excellent student studying and support program

Wide range of sports programs including Football, Baseball, Soccer, etc. Not just a Basketball School

Good size University with a wide range of majors and becoming a stronger and stronger research Institution

I’ll post an update on the “mythical practice facility” in a separate thread to share what I know.
Excellent post, Ramster. Those are the same talking points I use when describing URI. It's got that rural feel, but 20 minutes to the ocean, not even? The big draw is these kids know they can rent a house off campus hearing the waves crash. There aren't many higher ed institutions I can think of other than Pepperdine and maybe a few places in FL that have that kind of ocean access. Plus, it's far enough away from NY/NJ/CT/MA, but still close enough for these kids. I was telling my brother (he's class of 2001, I'm 2006) how much campus has changed through the years. The new engineering building feels like you're walking into a Honda research facility or something similar.

Now with lax coming on board, HUGE selling point. I can see us having a very competitive lax program once it starts.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Plus...clowns....just downright creepy...

get rid of this clown
Hold on - while as much as I agree that Cox isn't getting it done - let's not call the man a clown. I really like the man and want him to succeed. He may not be the right coach, but let's take it down a notch. He's still a good man.
Plus...clowns... downright creepy...
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I am fired up!

ramster, you're a fantastic poster and a truly loyal fan, but you must have been given an major overdose of Dr. Feelgood, to predict a 25-6 record for this team.

The reality is, this team will be hard pressed to finish above .500 by the end of this season.

It's not happening....the evidence is overwhelming.

I know, I know....we will be whining and complaining after every bad loss, and even poor play when we win games, but it all adds up to a change in direction at the end of the season.

6-3 so far, is an absolute mirage, we all know it, and most of us admit it.

To expect things to magically change in the next couple of months is beyond any logic.

This coach refuses to adapt and adjust to game situations. There also isn't anywhere near enough depth of talent to win anywhere near 22 games, much less 25.

If we win 25 games, I will eat my computer, my shirt, pants, and anything else I might wear on any given day.

ZERO chance for anything close to it.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Besides having a coach that is more of an assistant coach the players on this team aren’t even close in talent to that team. The players on this team have done nothing so far. What has Sheppard, the Twins, Walker or even Leggett done? Hurley and that team are worlds apart despite how they underachieved a good portion of the season. This team has nothing in them
1 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Jeff Dowtin made Dan Hurley relevant. Hurley teams weren’t winning before Dowtin arrived. Hurley got those teams ready to play but Dowtin executed basketball plays.

What a joy it was to watch him run the point for 2 years. Should have been 4
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Yea hes a good guy, but the wrong man for the job. Coaches get axed mid season from time to time. My questions is how would the players respond?

How are players responding now?
Outhustled in rivalry game, beat to virtually every loose ball and how many charges did they take ?

Have they taken on Cox’ s natural demeanor.?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Besides having a coach that is more of an assistant coach the players on this team aren’t even close in talent to that team. The players on this team have done nothing so far. What has Sheppard, the Twins, Walker or even Leggett done? Hurley and that team are worlds apart despite how they underachieved a good portion of the season. This team has nothing in them
This is just false - the team had an ok end to the prior year. That’s it. None of those guys had actually put it together despite being individually talented. I think we are at a SIMILAR point here with this team. The individual parts are better then the product together. I am not saying that Thomas will be Jeff, or that we have any player as good as Terrell (I do think we otherwise matchup with that twam though). I think the parts are pretty good here and should be producing better then they are. In that sense It is just like that 2016-17 team.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
This is just false - the team had an ok end to the prior year. That’s it. None of those guys had actually put it together despite being individually talented. I think we are at a SIMILAR point here with this team. The individual parts are better then the product together. I am not saying that Thomas will be Jeff, or that we have any player as good as Terrell (I do think we otherwise matchup with that twam though). I think the parts are pretty good here and should be producing better then they are. In that sense It is just like that 2016-17 team.
I have seen/been a part of some of the worst takes on this board.

This is insultingly terrible on so many levels.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I agree with you on this which is fine. I don't think the players are as good as people make them out to be. There is not going to be any magical run because the coach has proven he doesn't have the ability to get them to another level and I just don't think there is anything special about any of these players on the team. Who is the guy that is a difference maker on this team-Ish? There is nothing that reminds about the 2016-17 on this team. They will have a better record than their talent like 18-13 or somewhere around there only because of the weak schedule.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Except for, kinda not really at all?
4 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Hassan and berry or both twins? Easy trade…
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago Hassan and berry or both twins? Easy trade…
Or Cyril could be put in. Either way it isn't the twins
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dowtinsavestheworld wrote: 2 years ago I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Jeff Dowtin made Dan Hurley relevant. Hurley teams weren’t winning before Dowtin arrived. Hurley got those teams ready to play but Dowtin executed basketball plays.

What a joy it was to watch him run the point for 2 years. Should have been 4
Not for nothing but Dan Hurley was relevant before Jeff Dowtin was even a thought. I watched him play basketball on TV when he was in high school 30+ years ago and high school games were rarely on TV. His father is one of the greatest high school coaches ever and his brother one of the greatest college PGs ever. Him and his family have been relevant prob longer than you’ve been alive.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Are you forgetting how good Iverson, Hass, EC and Jared were? Forget the complimentary pieces of Jeff, Jarvis and Cyril. This is a preposterous statement based on what we have seen thus far from this roster.
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

get rid of this clown

who is saying he's not a good man ?

i am talking/venting as a fan

i want a competitive NCAA team like we had w hurley

i dont see it withCox

i havent seen it since year #1 and so far i have (unfortunately) been correct on this one
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Are you forgetting how good Iverson, Hass, EC and Jared were? Forget the complimentary pieces of Jeff, Jarvis and Cyril. This is a preposterous statement based on what we have seen thus far from this roster.
Excellent use of the word "preposterous"
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Did I forget all the success those really talented players had before the middle of that year? Oh wait, there was none. That is the point. Not that this team is as good as that one (although arguably the Mitchells are individually more talented then Hass and Iverson). The point is it took Jeff Dowtin to bring those really talented pieces to a place where it worked.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Did I forget all the success those really talented players had before the middle of that year? Oh wait, there was none. That is the point. Not that this team is as good as that one (although arguably the Mitchells are individually more talented then Hass and Iverson). The point is it took Jeff Dowtin to bring those really talented pieces to a place where it worked.

The Mitchell's got bullied by a La Salle transfer.

Hassan would have 20 and 12 in the first half if he played against the twins.
1 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m trying to figure out how pointing out that taking a really sick guy out of the line-up and replacing him with a guy they recruited and who was on the team is some kind of “gotcha.” And, that guy was on the team for two years under the current coach. Is Dowtin coming back to this team? Because that would be pretty great.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

First off the Twins aren’t that great. They make bone plays and turn the ball over at a high rate which kills all the other things they do right. They at no point can take over a game and lead this team. It is beyond belief that you put those URI teams in comparison to this one. We get it that Dowtin was a great player. I loved Dowtin. One thing I will say is there is no Dowtin coming out to save Cox. I guess because you feel this team is so talented that Cox should be replaced?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago Matt Langel...Colgate.
I brought Langel up earlier in this thread. I looked at the team’s record this year and I don’t really know what to make if it. They beat Syracuse by 15 and had a close loss to NC St. On the other hand, they lost to Cornell and Harvard. They’re 3-5 overall. They play Columbia tonight and an 0-3 record against the Ivy League is not something that would get the coach on anyone’s radar.
What does his 3-5 record this season have to do with whether he's a good coach? Did he have a senior-laden team last year? Look at where the program was when he took over and look at where it stands now. Watch his team play, how they share the ball, how they shoot it and what shots they take, etc. That is what a well-coached team looks like.

Sorry that the Matt Langel name doesn't excite folks. Last I checked, Coach K. didn't excite Duke folks in 1980-81, nor did Jimmy V. at NC State, nor did Tom Izzo at MSU in taking over for Jud Heathcote.

If Steve Pikiell can go from Stony Brook to Rutgers, can Matt Langel go from Colgate to URI? Do just try to win the press conference...you're trying to win games over the long term.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

First off the Twins aren’t that great. They make bone plays and turn the ball over at a high rate which kills all the other things they do right. They at no point can take over a game and lead this team. It is beyond belief that you put those URI teams in comparison to this one. We get it that Dowtin was a great player. I loved Dowtin. One thing I will say is there is no Dowtin coming out to save Cox. I guess because you feel this team is so talented that Cox should be replaced?
I never said that we have a Dowtin coming to save us - and sure the guys on this team probably are not as good as that team. My point is THAT team, the one we all want to get back to was not that team until they had a real PG. This year's team has the same problem in my mind. The ceiling may not be the same as that team but we will likely never know.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The twins are better than Hass and Iverson??? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The twins are better than Hass and Iverson??? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote

…..yeah, I too thought it was a real tank slapper…….
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

The Mitchell's got bullied by a La Salle transfer.

Hassan would have 20 and 12 in the first half if he played against the twins.
Nevermind that Hass would've goaded them into 3 fouls a piece by the under 4 in the first half (and Cox would've kept them in).
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL