David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I think I’m more likely to be named head coach of the Rams than Bobby.
We'll take you, Ace!
At this point I'd take my parent's golden retriever as head coach and he scares himself with his own farts.
5 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

By no means a comprehensive list but starting the conversation for a potential replacement...

Likely Names:
Archie Miller
John Becker
Tommy Amaker

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates
Bob Richey

Doubtful for various reasons but fun to consider:
Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Rick Pitino
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Archie Miller

Slam dunk

CUT BAIT NOW
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

STC wrote: 2 years ago By no means a comprehensive list but starting the conversation for a potential replacement...

Likely Names:
Archie Miller
John Becker
Tommy Amaker

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates
Bob Richey

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Rick Pitino
I’d add Bobby Hurley in the 3rd category.

He’s probably out at ASU. I doubt he wants to drop all the way back down to us, but there are obvious connections and it would be fun to consider.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

I’m ok with us being a stepping stone school for coaches. Find the next Hurley like up and comer & he can lead us to the tourney and bolt for greener pastures. Then rinse and repeat. I’ve been hearing the name John Becker for years but what has Vermont done lately?
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago I’m ok with us being a stepping stone school for coaches. Find the next Hurley like up and comer & he can lead us to the tourney and bolt for greener pastures. Then rinse and repeat. I’ve been hearing the name John Becker for years but what has Vermont done lately?
This Tuesday Night 6:30 pm you can see. Becker and Vermont will be at the Dunk vs PC.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago One thing's for sure: Cox has taken the fun out of driving from Providence to Kingston.
……..the “fun” of driving, parking fees, crowd types, etc from Narragansett to Down city is going, going, gone……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago I think I’m more likely to be named head coach of the Rams than Bobby.
We'll take you, Ace!
At this point I'd take my parent's golden retriever as head coach and he scares himself with his own farts.
Golden retriever farts are nothing to laugh at...just sayin'...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

It proved the reoccurring issues that everyone has stated ad naseum for years:

No feel for the game…momentum, substitutions, time outs, anything.
An inability to make adjustments.
The team coming out with zero energy or solutions after stoppages.
Too many players who can’t handle the ball handling the ball in high leverage situations.
Players taking ill advised shots early in the play clock without so much as a play being run or a single pass being made.

It matters even more because we play a soft schedule. We play average to below average teams most of the time, and this was one of the few times you get to see how this team stacks up to legitimate competition in big spots.

We failed. We have failed these big games for years.

Time to move on.
I don't disagree with anything you said here. Its all stuff we've known for a while now. If they made a move tomorrow I wouldn't argue against it. I'm just not sure doing it now makes any difference. Maybe Bozeman takes over and miraculously turns them around in conference play, but I'm not that optimistic about that either. It's depressing.
It just feels like it would be a statement and a jolt to this program that hasn’t felt one in years.

I’m so apathetic towards this program I would love to feel some hope or a light at the end of the tunnel.
Apathetic is the perfect word for things. I felt nothing during the game yesterday. I have a friend in town who wants to go to the game Tuesday, so I'll go, but I have no excitement for it.

I figured we didn't fire Cox last year because the buyout was too high and was close to the full $750,000 per year. I believe someone posted something here recently that it's actually closer to $300,000 per year. If it's the $300,000 number we should have moved on immediately after the second UMass game last year when we got worked over by a Tre Mitchell less team, Cox admitted he gameplanned for Mitchell, and then got pissed at Morey when he called Cox out on it. If he didn't get canned after that he won't be in midseason no matter what.

At this point the only thing to look forward to is March 14th or 15th, when hopefully URI announces that we're making a change in the program
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

STC wrote: 2 years ago By no means a comprehensive list but starting the conversation for a potential replacement...

Likely Names:
Archie Miller
John Becker
Tommy Amaker

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates
Bob Richey

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Rick Pitino

He’s probably out at ASU. I doubt he wants to drop all the way back down to us, but there are obvious connections and it would be fun to consider.
Not sure I would want Hurley. better off to go with one of the three listed up top. I guess whoever can bring in the recruits and has any type of clue on how to coach would be the guy we want.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

1. Archie Miller
2. Archie Miller
3. Archie Miller
4. Archie MIller
5. Archie MIller
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The guys doing the game on TV said the administration loves David Cox. They're probably just talking out of their ass, but that's what they said.
Honestly I'm sure they do, on a personal level. We all do, even his biggest detractors. It really sucks that it's not working out, because David Cox, as a person, is the exact person you want to represent your basketball program.

That said, every coach is pronounced safe and loved by the people above them, right up until the moment they get let go, so I wouldn't read anything into that on a professional level
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Sokolov. He's got great vineyards on Long Island, Nice wine for sure. He could be a major player in our program if he wants. We all want success and we all need a guy who could spare some loot and help us. We need some help for sure.
Well I didn't win Powerball last night, but if I win on Wednesday look out!
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Backroads wrote: 2 years ago I’m ok with us being a stepping stone school for coaches. Find the next Hurley like up and comer & he can lead us to the tourney and bolt for greener pastures. Then rinse and repeat. I’ve been hearing the name John Becker for years but what has Vermont done lately?
Three NCAA tournaments in his time there (2012, 2017, 2019), first place in the conference in 2020 when Covid wiped out the tournament, and tied for first place in the conference last year but lost in the semifinals of the conference tournament. He was one of the finalists, along with Micah Shrewsbury and another name I forget when Cox was named head coach, so I'm sure he'll be on the list again, but at 53 I'm not sure he's a true up and comer
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I give Cox credit for being able to recruit the talent we have. But his inability to deploy that talent and develop it further in order to win is unbelievable. He acts like a coach of a youth league team ensuring every kid gets to play. I guess he feels that he has made commitments to recruits that he has to honor. But, this is not what coaching at this level is all about. But, it maybe how he is able to recruit the talent we have.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

Likely Names:
Archie Miller
John Becker
Tommy Amaker

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates
Bob Richey

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Rick Pitino

Not sure I would want Hurley. better off to go with one of the three listed up top. I guess whoever can bring in the recruits and has any type of clue on how to coach would be the guy we want.
I’m in the camp of 1) Archie 2) Bobby.

Bobby is a least a statement. Similar to Dan.

I don’t think Bobby is an elite level coach, but I think he brings eyeballs to this program, and I think he can bring in the level of talent to make us an immediate contender - like he did in Buffalo. Honestly like he did in ASU before it hit the skids.

I just think the Pac12 is out of his weight class and he’d be a phenomenal A10 coach. With Bobby we’re a perennial top 5 A10 program.

That said, I don’t think we could get him/he wouldn’t be interested, and I think Archie would be more likely.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…..fan apathy is a program killer…….I think we are trending there……
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

No way I'm renewing my tickets if things continue on this path.
4 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Slightly updated based on feedback:

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Usual Suspects:
John Becker
Tommy Amaker

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates
Bob Richey

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Rick Pitino

Availability TBD:
Bobby Hurley
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If what it takes is fan apathy...actually what it takes is revenue loss.....URI moved to get rid of Baron due to 2 reasons.....revenue was way down and the program was on the verge of sanctions due to academic issues....see Holton and co.

It STILL took boosters stepping up to help pay for Baron's buyout...this time there are no such issues.
2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I tend to think about coaches of good teams in lower level conferences …. the up and comer factor. I thought of Liberty and Lipscomb right away. I don’t know anything about their coaches, so I looked them up. They are both in their 50s, so they don’t fit the up and comer model.
Also, thinking about their results versus Rhody’s the past three years, they might consider this a lateral move anyway, sad to say.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I give Cox credit for being able to recruit the talent we have. But his inability to deploy that talent and develop it further in order to win is unbelievable. He acts like a coach of a youth league team ensuring every kid gets to play. I guess he feels that he has made commitments to recruits that he has to honor. But, this is not what coaching at this level is all about. But, it maybe how he is able to recruit the talent we have.
What about that extension you're begging for?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This really boils down the the famous, are things better now than 4 years ago…
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago This really boils down the the famous, are things better now than 4 years ago…
No, things are not better... and that's the real crux of the matter here. We had an opportunity to build upon the relevance that Hurley brought us back to. Unfortunately, that opportunity has been squandered. I thought Cox was the right move when he was hired, but it just hasn't worked out.
8 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I tend to think about coaches of good teams in lower level conferences …. the up and comer factor. I thought of Liberty and Lipscomb right away. I don’t know anything about their coaches, so I looked them up. They are both in their 50s, so they don’t fit the up and comer model.
Also, thinking about their results versus Rhody’s the past three years, they might consider this a lateral move anyway, sad to say.
…….from viewing the landscape from the age 70+ group…….50s is still up and coming…….no?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago I tend to think about coaches of good teams in lower level conferences …. the up and comer factor. I thought of Liberty and Lipscomb right away. I don’t know anything about their coaches, so I looked them up. They are both in their 50s, so they don’t fit the up and comer model.
…….from viewing the landscape from the age 70+ group…….50s is still up and coming…….no?
I’m in my 60s, so I’d like to think the 50s is still up and coming, but for division 1 college basketball coaching, I think it’s the 30s and 40s.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …..fan apathy is a program killer…….I think we are trending there……
This was the deadest offseason I can remember.

The apathy is here
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …..fan apathy is a program killer…….I think we are trending there……
This was the deadest offseason I can remember.

The apathy is here
Let’s be real. Outside of like a dozen fans, most everyone felt it they just didn’t want to admit it.

The circus around the UMass game highlighted the clown show, but for some reason a lot of people kept lying to themselves.

If you look back - how many people were “shocked” or despondent after the A10 loss? We’ve been dead inside for years. The reason that the Fire Cox thread is so active is because people just held it in and were waiting for someone to break the dam.

Here we are.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I agree, Bobby will always have P5 aspersions, he would always looking for greener pastures from day one even if he’s more suited for a different level. We need a long term winner that’ll give us 10+ seasons. It’s a needle in the haystack, but we’ve seen what that does to programs…
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Slightly updated based on feedback:

People's Choice:
Archie Miller

Usual Suspects:
John Becker
Tommy Amaker

Up and Coming:
Dennis Gates
Bob Richey

Sean Miller
Gregg Marshall
Rick Pitino

Availability TBD:
Bobby Hurley

Give me Mark Schmidt all day long.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

I’m in the camp of 1) Archie 2) Bobby.

Bobby is a least a statement. Similar to Dan.

I don’t think Bobby is an elite level coach, but I think he brings eyeballs to this program, and I think he can bring in the level of talent to make us an immediate contender - like he did in Buffalo. Honestly like he did in ASU before it hit the skids.

I just think the Pac12 is out of his weight class and he’d be a phenomenal A10 coach. With Bobby we’re a perennial top 5 A10 program.

That said, I don’t think we could get him/he wouldn’t be interested, and I think Archie would be more likely.
These are my top 2 choices as well
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 years ago No way I'm renewing my tickets if things continue on this path.
It was a tough call for me to renew this season. If we stink again it will be even tougher.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Mark Schmidt all day long.....although I doubt he would move within the conference....we could pay him a lot more than the Bonnies can though.

Thorr needs to be putting out feelers very soon, if not already.....he's not going to can Cox until the season is done.....we are 6-3, albeit a very very weak 6-3.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Mark Schmidt all day long.....although I doubt he would move within the conference....we could pay him a lot more than the Bonnies can though.

Thorr needs to be putting out feelers very soon, if not already.....he's not going to can Cox until the season is done.....we are 6-3, albeit a very very weak 6-3.
Please not Schmidt. I don't care if he was Coach K. I don't ever want a coach from St B again.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You mean we aren't going to "shoot for the stars?"

Petro=moron.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Mark Schmidt all day long.....although I doubt he would move within the conference....we could pay him a lot more than the Bonnies can though.

Please not Schmidt. I don't care if he was Coach K. I don't ever want a coach from St B again.
Schmidt is a fantastic coach. He would be awesome but I don’t think it happens.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah If Schmidty leaves Bona it’s going to be for a conf better than the A10
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I didn’t include Schmidt since it would be largely a lateral move both in compensation and conference.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……..what are the selling points of the URI that would attract coaches?…….serious question…..…..remind me of what a great job the Rhody job is……..
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI would greatly have to up the salary of some 700k it paid Cox. Schmidt made more than $1M at tiny little SBU (a school of less than 2k undegrads with small endowment in a rural WNY location). He would likely only leave if offered far more than what he is presently earning.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Cox will become a very good coach some day. URI could wait, get him some mentoring and extend him until "some day" arrives. But, it is apparent that he was not ready to develop into a winning coach in the short term when he was hired. URI has mostly been a stepping-stone job and we cannot wait too long for someone to develop before moving on.

Cox's hiring and failure to develop is a reflection on Thor's performance as an AD. Do we trust him to make a better decision in the future? The hiring of a head MBB coach is the most important decision URI's AD will make. It is irrelevant that DH recommended Cox or that Calhoun recommended JD. Thor failed here and there should be consequences.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

URI would greatly have to up the salary of some 700k it paid Cox. Schmidt made more than $1M at tiny little SBU (a school of less than 2k undegrads with small endowment in a rural WNY location). He would likely only leave if offered far more than what he is presently earning.
We offered Hurley $2 million.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago

We offered Hurley $2 million.
And that was 4 years ago.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Cox will become a very good coach some day. URI could wait, get him some mentoring and extend him until "some day" arrives. But, it is apparent that he was not ready to develop into a winning coach in the short term when he was hired. URI has mostly been a stepping-stone job and we cannot wait too long for someone to develop before moving on.

Cox's hiring and failure to develop is a reflection on Thor's performance as an AD. Do we trust him to make a better decision in the future? The hiring of a head MBB coach is the most important decision URI's AD will make. It is irrelevant that DH recommended Cox or that Calhoun recommended JD. Thor failed here and there should be consequences.
Thor fired Baron who you wanted to get extended.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I can't believe you just posted that 72.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

sorry, “Cox will become a very good coach some day”. I am much more inclined to think that he does not have the DNA of a quality head coach. In any event, the best that can be speculated at this time, is that he MIGHT become a very good coach someday and there are few facts to support this.

I think he is more likely will be an assistant at a major type program. Eg UConn.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..what are the selling points of the URI that would attract coaches?…….serious question…..…..remind me of what a great job the Rhody job is……..
really good facilities (and no, I’m not counting the mythical practice facility); a generally good location especially for those coaches with northeast/DMV recruiting connections; a conference that can be frustrating but is at least being proactive with adding Loyola; potential for competitive salary; recent proof that you can get to the tournament and win (2018 today is a lot better than 1999 in 2012); success in Kingston can lead to a better job if it’s what you want (I’m sorry, that sucks, too, but it’s also good); a former coach that, if asked by a candidate, would have a lot of good things to say; a budget that is at least in the top half of your conference (or it was last time I checked)
7 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Gotta say I miss you Ace. The one poster that would smack us down (of course necessary) and instill reasoning in times of despair. Not sure who you are, but I've never (well maybe not ever) gone against your reasoning. I think we have a great deal to offer as a basketball program like you said. I think URI has a lot to offer any coach. I think we need to step it up quite a bit though. Charters, assistant coach salaries and HC salary. Pay for what you expect, not compensate after the fact.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Mongo wrote: 2 years ago Give me Mark Schmidt all day long.
To paraphrase Ace, Mark Schmidt has as much chance of becoming the next URI coach as I do.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

We're a great stepping stone.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.