David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago This game didn’t help, but it didn’t hurt. Q1 loss on the road.
But didn’t we badly need this sort of help. We are not going into a loaded A-10. This was one of the last games we had to make a statement.
3 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Do you do what Maryland did with turgeon and try to salvage the season. Make Bozeman interim coach. See how he does. If no improvement search for replacement and reset the program.. we're stuck in the mud right now.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

My level of optimism when we were led by Coach Hurley is in inverse proportion to our "leadership" under Coach Cox.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We are the island of misfit toys right now.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Not good for the skipper.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Ultimately I don't think today changed much. Give him until the end of the year, but get that short list ready.
It proved the reoccurring issues that everyone has stated ad naseum for years:

No feel for the game…momentum, substitutions, time outs, anything.
An inability to make adjustments.
The team coming out with zero energy or solutions after stoppages.
Too many players who can’t handle the ball handling the ball in high leverage situations.
Players taking ill advised shots early in the play clock without so much as a play being run or a single pass being made.

It matters even more because we play a soft schedule. We play average to below average teams most of the time, and this was one of the few times you get to see how this team stacks up to legitimate competition in big spots.

We failed. We have failed these big games for years.

Time to move on.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago This game didn’t help, but it didn’t hurt. Q1 loss on the road.
You can say that again. ;)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Not just any Q1 loss. I don’t care if PC was Q1 or Q10, the fan base wants a win.
3 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Ultimately I don't think today changed much. Give him until the end of the year, but get that short list ready.

Too many players who can’t handle the ball handling the ball in high leverage situations.
Players taking ill advised shots early in the play clock without so much as a play being run or a single pass being made.

It matters even more because we play a soft schedule. We play average to below average teams most of the time, and this was one of the few times you get to see how this team stacks up to legitimate competition in big spots.

Time to move on.
From your fingers to Thorr's ears.
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago
Not just any Q1 loss. I don’t care if PC was Q1 or Q10, the fan base wants a win.
I was just being a wise guy because it was posted twice.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Do you do what Maryland did with turgeon and try to salvage the season. Make Bozeman interim coach. See how he does. If no improvement search for replacement and reset the program.. we're stuck in the mud right now.
There is no salvage to this season. We have such a crap schedule it doesn't even matter. Team needs to win the A10 T to dance. Nothing has changed. Even if they won out.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Time to move on.
I don't disagree with anything you said here. Its all stuff we've known for a while now. If they made a move tomorrow I wouldn't argue against it. I'm just not sure doing it now makes any difference. Maybe Bozeman takes over and miraculously turns them around in conference play, but I'm not that optimistic about that either. It's depressing.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Lol. Lol one of my fav movies
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

Time to move on.
I don't disagree with anything you said here. Its all stuff we've known for a while now. If they made a move tomorrow I wouldn't argue against it. I'm just not sure doing it now makes any difference. Maybe Bozeman takes over and miraculously turns them around in conference play, but I'm not that optimistic about that either. It's depressing.
I agree Adam also give him to the end of the year and then make the change. Also agree if Thorr made a move tomorrow and made Todd B interim I’d be more than happy
Ultimately Cox isn’t long for the program
3 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Time to move on.
He's absolutely right.
Attachments
zoolander2-absolutely-right.gif
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Time to move on.
It just feels like it would be a statement and a jolt to this program that hasn’t felt one in years.

I’m so apathetic towards this program I would love to feel some hope or a light at the end of the tunnel.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The die has been cast.

Not good enough.

Not enough talent.

Not enough coaching.

Mediocrity personified.

I pity anyone who still thinks this will work.

Unless of course, this is what URI wants.

A mid pack program at best.

The team isn't terrible.

Cox isn't terrible.

But nowhere near good enough.

See ya.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The die has been cast.

Not good enough.

Not enough talent.

Not enough coaching.

Mediocrity personified.

The team isn't terrible.

Cox isn't terrible.

See ya.
I think he's terrible.
8 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The die has been cast.

Not good enough.

Not enough talent.

Not enough coaching.

Mediocrity personified.

The team isn't terrible.

Cox isn't terrible.

See ya.
I think he's terrible.
I kinda agree. This needs to end soon.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

One thing's for sure: Cox has taken the fun out of driving from Providence to Kingston.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Time to move on.
It just feels like it would be a statement and a jolt to this program that hasn’t felt one in years.

I’m so apathetic towards this program I would love to feel some hope or a light at the end of the tunnel.
Would be great Blue I hope it happens
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Would be great Blue I hope it happens
Me too
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Me three. This feels too much like it did 10 or so years ago.
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

My wife asked me this morning if I was excited to go to the game and I said no. I can’t remember ever saying that before!
3 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

It has become almost a choir to watch this team and I already knew we’d lose this game. Cox has literally taking the air out of this program. He gets out coached almost every game. If we want to stay middle of the pack and bring in some good players, then he’s our guy, but our program is so much better than that and we need the right person for the job. Thorr should be building a list and connections ASAP, isn’t that what UCONN did 5 years ago?
6 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CUT
BAIT

horrible coach

Horrible
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hope Tom Ryan steps in and salvages this disaster.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Or who's the wine country guy who has billions? What's his name? Maybe he steps up and ends this nonsense.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Or who's the wine country guy who has billions? What's his name? Maybe he steps up and ends this nonsense.
lol yeah that the guy who’s a big booster that they had the article about ??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The guys doing the game on TV said the administration loves David Cox. They're probably just talking out of their ass, but that's what they said.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’d be shocked if Thorr doesn’t make a move at the end of the season if this plays out like we think it will
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The guys doing the game on TV said the administration loves David Cox. They're probably just talking out of their ass, but that's what they said.
They def do. And what’s gunna happen is the team goes 20-10 or whatever against this baby shit schedule and they won’t fire him cuz 20 wins!! Great guy!!

Only thing that gives me hope otherwise is that they didn’t extend him after last season so maybe it really is on the line, but we don’t know what admin will see as being good enough
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Or who's the wine country guy who has billions? What's his name? Maybe he steps up and ends this nonsense.
lol yeah that the guy who’s a big booster that they had the article about ??
right, the guy who owns 33% of the US land? Cmon dude, it doesn't take much. Let's GO RHODY!!!!!!!!
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Let's get Bobby Hurley.. my guess he's not long for ASU, especially after his team scored 29 points the other night at home... Maybe he wants to come back to east coast.. kidding. Can you imagine sitting through a game where your team scored 29 points in a 40 minute game.. 💩💩..
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..no……for Bobby
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sokolov. He's got great vineyards on Long Island, Nice wine for sure. He could be a major player in our program if he wants. We all want success and we all need a guy who could spare some loot and help us. We need some help for sure.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago My wife asked me this morning if I was excited to go to the game and I said no. I can’t remember ever saying that before!
…..bingo, felt like that all day…….the Alum event had zero buzz, walked to Dump with zero positive thoughts, at 9-0 I did my start the bus comment, even with the lead, I was not hopeful…….hey Coach, what the hell is going on here…….?
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

“If you lose your job, there’s a spot for you on my bench.”
Maybe, idk what they’re saying.

Anyway, Rhode Island basketball is not fun right now, and it’s bumming me out.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..no……for Bobby
It’s a yes for me on Bobby Hurley, he runs circles around Cox
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago The guys doing the game on TV said the administration loves David Cox. They're probably just talking out of their ass, but that's what they said.
My son and I did a double take when we heard that
...like....really?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago ……..no……for Bobby
It’s a yes for me on Bobby Hurley, he runs circles around Cox
……..well OK……..I think the bar for the next coach needs to be higher than running circles around Cox…….that bar seems really low……
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Said it year #1 and I’ll say it again

COX SUX
2 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Can we hire Luke Murray please
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 years ago Can we hire Luke Murray please
……has he HC street cred…….?……if not, I will pass…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

No more first timers please.

As for Bobby - he’s not as good a coach as Dan or Archie for sure, but I also think he’s over his head in the Pac12.

He turned Buffalo around.

He can generate the kind of buzz that brings in recruits and funding, and that alone should be enough to get us back to the A10 championship-level we supposedly expect.

Now whether or not we could afford/get him is another story.

But I would bet he’d like to come east and be near his family again, and this would give him an opportunity to resurrect his coaching career.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No more first timers please.

As for Bobby - he’s not as good a coach as Dan or Archie for sure, but I also think he’s over his head in the Pac12.

He turned Buffalo around.

He can generate the kind of buzz that brings in recruits and funding, and that alone should be enough to get us back to the A10 championship-level we supposedly expect.

Now whether or not we could afford/get him is another story.

But I would bet he’d like to come east and be near his family again, and this would give him an opportunity to resurrect his coaching career.
Yes he’s also coached 2 different schools to the big dance which is impressive and he was an assistant at URI

If he was on our short list I am not complaining at all
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Was in Fort Myers for an alumni thing before the Florida Golf Course U. disaster. Thorr was there and said all the right things -- David Cox is the right guy blah blah blah -- but I wouldn't expect him to say anything different.

HOWEVER, don't take that to mean he believes that stuff. That's the frustrating thing for a non-cartel school -- we don't have the millions lying around to afford whacking a coach in mid-season. I believe Thorr sees what's happening and is performing his due diligence now. Just like we had to do with CFL, we have to wait until after the Atlantic 10 tournament. Ninety-three days and counting.
6 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think I’m more likely to be named head coach of the Rams than Bobby.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 2 years ago I think I’m more likely to be named head coach of the Rams than Bobby.
We'll take you, Ace!
5 x