12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

In both halves when Thomas came in, he sparked us and we got back in the game. In both halves he got taken out after a few short minutes. As soon as he went out, the momentum and the game went in the opposite direction, No, Thomas is not a star (yet). But our coach can't can't even recognize what is going on in a game. I'm so fucking done. Losing to PC ruins my weekend. Maybe I shouldn't take it so seriously, but this just blows so much.
18 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago I want this team to contend for A10 title every year be able to make a run in the dance as well. But outside of Gonzaga what mid major has success year in year out? It's hard to recruit when ur not a p6 program. You need to get lucky. And I am not all in on Cox I'm really not. But a coach can't work miracles and play the game for the players.
4 years of horrible coaching is enough for me. I'm done.
8 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t think we necessarily played all that bad, we’re just not that that good and PC is better.
0 x
Go Rhody
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago I want this team to contend for A10 title every year be able to make a run in the dance as well. But outside of Gonzaga what mid major has success year in year out? It's hard to recruit when ur not a p6 program. You need to get lucky. And I am not all in on Cox I'm really not. But a coach can't work miracles and play the game for the players.
4 years of horrible coaching is enough for me. I'm done.
I'm not even sure we are at a level to compete for an A-10 title and that for me is a deal breaker.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Why would Cox even think about hugging Cooley in the post game hand shake line after what he did last year?

F Cooley and all the Friars.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think we necessarily played all that bad, we’re just not that that good and PC is better.
2-13 on 3pt attempts and 14 turnovers? You have a twisted sense of not bad.
9 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does this coaching staff teach any fundamentals.....like boxing out? I never see anyone put a body on anyone when a shot goes up, not even on a free throw! And we wonder why we get killed on the boards? Even when we start a 6'9" and a 6'10" player?
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Bigsnoop wrote: 2 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago This is a blood game. I don’t care. It’s extremely personal. I don’t GAF. Either we win or we die.
Deepest condolences to your family.
Touché. Enjoy it while you can.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Our leading scorer and high scorer of the game had 2 points in the second half, what does that tell ya.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I don’t think we necessarily played all that bad, we’re just not that that good and PC is better.

Not to mention getting beat on the boards 45-30 with 20 of PC rebounds being offensive
4 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

"effort wasn't there in the first half" - david cox

I could be mistaken, but I don't recall him calling any timeouts in the first half. So he's just watching his team not give effort, and just standing there with his arms crossed?
9 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Optimistic wrote: 2 years ago "effort wasn't there in the first half" - david cox

I could be mistaken, but I don't recall him calling any timeouts in the first half. So he's just watching his team not give effort, and just standing there with his arms crossed?

I personally thought your guys effort was better in the first half. You came up with almost no 50/50 balls in the 2nd half.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Optimistic wrote: 2 years ago "effort wasn't there in the first half" - david cox

THIS!!!!!!!!!
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

He did call one, I think — I only remember because it actually came at an appropriate time (he didn't wait for a made basket by Rhody to try to stop a PC run). I'm sure it was an accident.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

URI isn't getting ANYWHERE with David Cox as head coach.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

I was mistaken, he did call one with 1:39 left in the half. By which point, we were trailing by 8.
1 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Quit blowing your cover. :lol:
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Fatts ran the team and did what he wanted without any consequences or being reprimanded rarely if at all. Mitchell twins, though they have talent ,but it also appears Cox let's them do whatever they want continually making the same mistakes game after game, multiple times in a game with very little being said Say what you will about Cooley but I sat a few rows behind bench for Sacred Heart game. About 2 or 3 minutes into the game Watson missed a box out and let a smaller player get inside of him for an offensive rebound in a bucket. Cooley went nuts yanked him from the game and was yelling at him and telling the entire bench if you don't box out, rebound and you allow offensive rebounds you sit no matter who you are. Watson sat for a while. And from that moment their overall rebounding and effort as a team was much better because there was accountability I see no such accountability for Rams players making mistakes
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What was our 3 point % before this game? One bad shooting game.

Bad game, 14 turnovers @ a Big East team isn’t terrible. Nobody should’ve expected to win this game.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago But a coach can't work miracles and play the game for the players.
I agree with this statement, but the problem is that there are a limited number of things that a coach CAN control — like which players are on the floor together (and when), when to call set plays after a timeout, and when to take timeouts. And in all three of those areas Cox's decision making fails so much more often than it succeeds.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why do we have 6'10" guys bringing the ball up court? Cause Cox doesn't know what a point guard is.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Bad game, 14 turnovers @ a Big East team isn’t terrible. Nobody should’ve expected to win this game.
Expected to win this game? I had this team 7-6 non con. Get real.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think the refs took the Mitchells out of the game early with all the calls although they did call a lot against both teams. I just wish that they would have let them play and swallowed their whistles.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago In both halves when Thomas came in, he sparked us and we got back in the game. In both halves he got taken out after a few short minutes. As soon as he went out, the momentum and the game went in the opposite direction, No, Thomas is not a star (yet). But our coach can't can't even recognize what is going on in a game. I'm so fucking done. Losing to PC ruins my weekend. Maybe I shouldn't take it so seriously, but this just blows so much.
Because he's our only true PG. Dude is decisive, which everyone else is not
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Expected to win this game? I had this team 7-6 non con. Get real.
I had em 8-5, so can’t be shocked at today.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Not win, but they closed 4.5 dogs and kenpom had it a 4 point game. I didn't expect a win, I just didn't expect uri to get their doors blown off especially when it looked like an effort issue.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree with the consensus on here

PC is just a better team than us but we need to do better than lose by 14

Bassy shouldn’t be pulled when we make our run there he is our only natural point and needs more minutes

Mitchell’s are foul prone and turnover prone

Cox isn’t the long term solution to get us to the next level
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Agree with the consensus on here

Bassy shouldn’t be pulled when we make our run there he is our only natural point and needs more minutes

It depends on what level you're talking about. If it's taking the program south, he's the perfect coach.
2 x
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

Look at the impact Thomas had on the game in only 13 mins? He needs to start. We don't need him for offense. We need ball handling. We need him to do what he does. Organize, control pace and find guys in the right spots. I can handle the freshman mistakes here and there but this kid seems to get better each and every game. You'd think Cox being a former point guard would understand this? He's fighting for his job. Start Thomas. Start Walker. Move Sheppard to his natural shooting guard position and bring Makhi and El-Amin off the bench. Malik as our 6th man. And Ayo-Faleye earned more minutes today. Loved his hustle. Cox has nothing to lose but his job.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

It depends on what level you're talking about. If it's taking the program south, he's the perfect coach.
If any of you think they are getting rid of Cox now, your crazy.
Just because Turgeon got let go this early that has nothing to do with what will happen here.
Thorr will see how the season plays out and will make a determination then.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote: 2 years ago Look at the impact Thomas had on the game in only 13 mins? He needs to start. We don't need him for offense. We need ball handling. We need him to do what he does. Organize, control pace and find guys in the right spots. I can handle the freshman mistakes here and there but this kid seems to get better each and every game. You'd think Cox being a former point guard would understand this? He's fighting for his job. Start Thomas. Start Walker. Move Sheppard to his natural shooting guard position and bring Makhi and El-Amin off the bench. Malik as our 6th man. And Ayo-Faleye earned more minutes today. Loved his hustle. Cox has nothing to lose but his job.
It's called a point guard. Cox wouldn't know a point guard if it smacked him in the head. See....Fatts over Jeff Dowtin.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Just because Turgeon got let go this early that has nothing to do with what will happen here.
I know they won't. I just wish they would. Three and a half seasons of bad coaching aren't enough to make a determination?
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote: 2 years ago Look at the impact Thomas had on the game in only 13 mins? He needs to start. We don't need him for offense. We need ball handling. We need him to do what he does. Organize, control pace and find guys in the right spots. I can handle the freshman mistakes here and there but this kid seems to get better each and every game. You'd think Cox being a former point guard would understand this? He's fighting for his job. Start Thomas. Start Walker. Move Sheppard to his natural shooting guard position and bring Makhi and El-Amin off the bench. Malik as our 6th man. And Ayo-Faleye earned more minutes today. Loved his hustle. Cox has nothing to lose but his job.
If he doesn’t start that’s fine… he’s a nice spark plug off the bench. But he needs to be in early and often. 20+ minutes per game.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Really? You are 100% sure of that? Let's see.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not 100% obviously, but pretty damn close.
Look he let JB finish out his last pathetic season.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago I think the refs took the Mitchells out of the game early with all the calls although they did call a lot against both teams. I just wish that they would have let them play and swallowed their whistles.
The Mitchell’s took the Mitchells out of the game. They’re wild and undisciplined. They are aggressive but with their arms not their feet. They leave limbs out and are begging officials to call them. Been this way for two years. Would be nice for a coach to get in their ear or work some drills or SOMETHING.

Didn’t help putting Mitchell back in with 2 fouls after we made a run with him off the floor in the first half either.

But again…coaching.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Mitchell twins lost is this game. It’s that simple. Did they have some ticky tacky calls against them early? Yes. But this is just how they roll at this point. Playing out of control more often than not. Needed a far better effort out of them today.

Despite that we had multiple chances to be in this game. Missed some crucial wide open 3s. Guards shot poorly and for the most point weren’t aggressive enough.

Congrats to PC, they’re putting together a good season so far. I’m skeptical of their upside, but they deserved the W today
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Players need defined roles, practice those roles and they will gain consistency. I presented those roles here pre-game. Until then, what you are seeing is what we are going to get.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Thorr will save face by getting rid of Cox now. No harm no foul. Get a seasoned coach in here now!!!!!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thorr isn't going to fire Cox now.

He's not Jerry D.

But he has to go at the end of the year.

16-15. Maybe.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Players need defined roles, practice those roles and they will gain consistency. I presented those roles here pre-game. Until then, what you are seeing is what we are going to get.
So, I assume you still want an extension? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox has his predefined roles for his players.

Doesn't matter how they are playing in any particular game.

Makes zero sense, but that's him. He's not going to change.

What does it matter now?

There's really no sense in rehashing the particulars anymore.

Just wait for the ax to fall. It will. It has to.

I hate to be proven right when it comes to Cox. But here we are.
3 x
Gunboat
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Gunboat »

giovanni wrote: 2 years ago Fatts ran the team and did what he wanted without any consequences or being reprimanded rarely if at all. Mitchell twins, though they have talent ,but it also appears Cox let's them do whatever they want continually making the same mistakes game after game, multiple times in a game with very little being said Say what you will about Cooley but I sat a few rows behind bench for Sacred Heart game. About 2 or 3 minutes into the game Watson missed a box out and let a smaller player get inside of him for an offensive rebound in a bucket. Cooley went nuts yanked him from the game and was yelling at him and telling the entire bench if you don't box out, rebound and you allow offensive rebounds you sit no matter who you are. Watson sat for a while. And from that moment their overall rebounding and effort as a team was much better because there was accountability I see no such accountability for Rams players making mistakes
This is my issue too. Too many unforced errors by the same people. Never mind he let Jermaine Harris play horribly for 3 f’ing years.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thorr will save face by getting rid of Cox now. No harm no foul. Get a seasoned coach in here now!!!!!
Sorry not going to happen, nothing to gain by it. It would make zero sense and Thorr doesn't operate by pure emotion or on a whim.
There would be much player dissension and probably lose most of your roster at the end of the semester.
Unlike Turgeon, David Cox is a very likeable guy, also URI isn't Maryland.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sorry not going to happen, nothing to gain by it. It would make zero sense and Thorr doesn't operate by pure emotion or on a whim.
There would be much player dissension and probably lose most of your roster at the end of the semester.
Who cares? we are not an NCAAT team. You may think no, but I think yes. Cox is gone.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

There’s a lot of similarities in the fouls called on the Mitchell’s and the 3 years of fouls on Jermaine Harris
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with you 77 it’s not going to happen now , but I think there’s a very good chance it will by end of season
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

I agree with you 77 it’s not going to happen now , but I think there’s a very good chance it will happen after the end of season
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There is a positive. If a new coach came in now, and some of the younger players like Ish and Bassy like the direction the new coach is taking them, maybe they stay. If it happens after the season, they don't know the incoming coach and they most likely leave. I know you don't hire a coach so players would stay, but I'd like a couple of them to still be here.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

What to gain?

It would prove this “bar” of championships wasn’t lip service and that we have expectations and standards. That we expect to compete and will not settle. Maybe it generates a boost from some donors.

Again. YOU DO NOT HIRE A COACH TO KEEP A ROSTER.

Find the right guy. Like Hurley was. This is a rebuild now.

Go get a hot younger coach or a buzzworthy name like Miller.

You don’t hire coaches for likability. This is basketball not an etiquette class. You hire them to win.

Unfortunately the NET doesn’t take being a great person into account, so you need to actually be a good coach.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL