12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Blue Man »

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago

"Play more aggressive" "firm passes". In my yelling voice! Guaranteed Cox is trying to preach that it's now on the players to execute. A coach can only do so much you guys are clowns that think it falls on him and the staff.
You’re right. How could we possibly think the coach isn’t getting through to his players after almost 100 games. We probably need 100 more before we can make an assessment though.

These kids aren't blue chip recruits you can only "coach them up" so much. If we can see the flaws guaranteed he does as well. Come game day it's up to the players to execute and play smart
Um. Wut.

So recruit better talent?

If we can see flaws…we’re fans. Not professional coaches. I would HOPE the coach can see the flaws that we do, but the lack of changes to these issues would lead me to believe he doesn’t OR he doesn’t know how to coach his players not to make those mistakes.

Having your center handling the ball outside of the 3 point line…2 years and running. Not being able to adjust to a half ass press or a zone defense.

Early in the clock ill advised shots.

Why are there so many people who want to see this team go nowhere masquerading as fans of this program??
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Did you see that basket????
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

They better stop bun boy
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

We made it to six down with six minutes left in the game. Now it’s nine down with 3 1/2 minutes left.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's getting late early
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

game
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Dribbling at the 3 point line=turnover by Mitchell. What the fuck must Cox see before he eliminates that play from being part of our offense. Can he be that stubborn? Can the assistants talk him out of it or are TJ and Carroll cheerleaders or coaches?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

We cut the lead to 6. We pulled Thomas. PC goes on a run.

AND SOME OF YOU THINK THATS NOT COACHING!?
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

It's the coaches' job to put the players in position where they have the best chance to succeed.

But when they're utterly unprepared for a half-ass press, when they're unprepared for a high-school 2-3 zone, when the game plan precludes switching screens thus giving up open shots and drives, that's on the coaches. And we see far too much of all those things, and have for years.
7 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Disappointing effort in a very winnable game. I don't think Providence really even played that well.
8 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I want this team to contend for A10 title every year be able to make a run in the dance as well. But outside of Gonzaga what mid major has success year in year out? It's hard to recruit when ur not a p6 program. You need to get lucky. And I am not all in on Cox I'm really not. But a coach can't work miracles and play the game for the players.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Anyone else think there is too much dribbling on our offensive sets? Can we run another type of offense?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Good time to take Thomas out! Just when we were getting back in!
He truly doesn’t understand momentum. Thomas is having by far his best game as a Ram. Let’s take him out! We’ve only seen that happen 100 times before under Cox. He did the same thing in the first half. Bassy looks awesome. Takes him out! Providence played like shit
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

Thought they had a chance until Cox out the starting lineup back in.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Thomas will transfer. Watch.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Time to fire up the Fire Cox thread.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

-11 on the offensive boards and -12 on second chance points.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We cut the lead to 6 and Makhi turned the ball over 15 feet from the hoop handling the ball. Shocker.

Thomas was easily our most impressive player today. Really happy for the kid on such a big stage. A lightly recruited true freshmen from the RIIL. That tells you all you need to know about this one.
8 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago I want this team to contend for A10 title every year be able to make a run in the dance as well. But outside of Gonzaga what mid major has success year in year out? It's hard to recruit when ur not a p6 program. You need to get lucky. And I am not all in on Cox I'm really not. But a coach can't work miracles and play the game for the players.
We are in year 4! We aren’t an American East team. Top A10 programs can land a freaking bid once every 4 years. It’s very attainable under the right coach and far from a miracle.
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago Thomas will transfer. Watch.
I bet he will as well. Cox has no clue what a PG is.
5 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

I hope the poster who said this was life or death didn’t mean that literally
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Anybody who defends Cox's coaching after today is not in touch with reality.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago I want this team to contend for A10 title every year be able to make a run in the dance as well. But outside of Gonzaga what mid major has success year in year out? It's hard to recruit when ur not a p6 program. You need to get lucky. And I am not all in on Cox I'm really not. But a coach can't work miracles and play the game for the players.
You sound like an idiot about now.
8 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

People didn't like what RJ said, but he was 100% right. One of the teams was battle tested and one of the teams has a fools gold record due to playing a soft schedule. PC wasn't even great but pulled away down the stretch and you have to think part of that is the schedule and tests they've already had
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
We are in year 4! We aren’t an American East team. Top A10 programs can land a freaking bid once every 4 years. It’s very attainable under the right coach and far from a miracle.
VCU, Dayton, Xavier (moved up), Butler (moved up), Loyola…but yeah never happens.

Oh yeah, and URI had they hired a different coach.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

The opportunity was there, we were not up to the task. Our guard play was not good enough to win this game. Their token press was effective and our ball handling was not. Game over.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Disappointing effort in a very winnable game. I don't think Providence really even played that well.

I’d agree with you, but I think this is kinda what PC is this year. Very strong defensively and going to have runs and long droughts offensively. Too early to know what the ceiling is this year.

I’m a frequent visitor to your board but typically refrain from posting because I don’t think you want my two cents. That said, I get the criticism of the coach, but to me, this is much more on your bigs that can’t stay on the floor. I haven’t watched enough of your team this year to know if this is a trend or an anomaly today. But those two twins look like foul machines.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago People didn't like what RJ said, but he was 100% right. One of the teams was battle tested and one of the teams has a fools gold record due to playing a soft schedule. PC wasn't even great but pulled away down the stretch and you have to think part of that is the schedule and tests they've already had
It's not even the schedule. When pc scored three straight 3's to start, that should have been a time out. Even the commentators said so. Cox is just not management material. Great assistant, but not a CEO.
4 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

That’s was epically bad. Soooo bad.
Shot selection
Rebounding
Stupid fouls.
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago People didn't like what RJ said, but he was 100% right.
Wonder if my wife will let me put this on the fridge! 😂
9 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Cox is a poor coach, but let’s be honest about the talent or lack of on the roster. This team has no one people fear. In another year with a better non conference and if the A-10 wasn’t so bad they would be even worse
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Anybody who defends Cox's coaching after today is not in touch with reality.
I know two people who will. DC and TJ… oh wait that’s only one
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago People didn't like what RJ said, but he was 100% right. One of the teams was battle tested and one of the teams has a fools gold record due to playing a soft schedule. PC wasn't even great but pulled away down the stretch and you have to think part of that is the schedule and tests they've already had
Playing without the only point guard PC has too.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago Anybody who defends Cox's coaching after today is not in touch with reality.
I know two people who will. DC and TJ… oh wait that’s only one
FDShoes?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
It's not even the schedule. When pc scored three straight 3's to start, that should have been a time out. Even the commentators said so. Cox is just not management material. Great assistant, but not a CEO.
Yes, but in fairness we have two unused timeouts that we can now carry over to Tuesday against Sacred Heart...
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago People didn't like what RJ said, but he was 100% right.
If so you owe me a beer
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago Cox is a poor coach, but let’s be honest about the talent or lack of on the roster. This team has no one people fear. In another year with a better non conference and if the A-10 wasn’t so bad they would be even worse
OK, so the coach isn't the issue, it's the GM? That still means Cox is the problem
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Very disappointed in the loss, but they were the better team (at least today).
Their guards out played us and our bigs keep having the same problems, Watson didn't even play well against us.
Makhi was was horrible, he had more fouls and turnovers than points and rebounds.
They dominated the boards 45-30, and offensive 20-8.
We shot 15.4% from 3pt and we can't even blame it on Fatts.

I can't see us winning a lot of games , playing like this.
Oh well they better look at a lot of film and practice their ass off.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Can’t wait to play sacred heart!!
4 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

URI was totally out played in every phase of the game including hustle, rebounding, free throw shooting, shooting , defense and on and on. I don't know
what else there is to say . Being out hustled is probably the most disappointing while the silly turnovers and free throw shooting were the most frustrating
for me to watch. Unfortunately the 14 turnovers isn't even above average for them this season . Being totally dominated on the boards is also tough
to take . Today they allowed many uncontested threes which really killed them too. The only positive i can think of was the passing by Thomas .
some of the failures could have been overcome by excellent shooting which we have seen some of this season , but that was missing as well .Was
this game too much pressure for them ? maybe, but i hope that wasn't the cause . I can only hope that they can pull together and try harder to
correct the obvious short comings that have plagued them so far .
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago This is a blood game. I don’t care. It’s extremely personal. I don’t GAF. Either we win or we die.
Deepest condolences to your family.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago We cut the lead to 6 and Makhi turned the ball over 15 feet from the hoop handling the ball. Shocker.

Thomas was easily our most impressive player today. Really happy for the kid on such a big stage. A lightly recruited true freshmen from the RIIL. That tells you all you need to know about this one.
Thomas needs more minutes. Twins need to stop dribbling (It's really Makhi for the most part). Will these things happen?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Good time to take Thomas out! Just when we were getting back in!
Again.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I miss Hurley.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This team needs a point guard and we don't have one.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago
If so you owe me a beer

Beer fridge at least
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t even care about not calling the TO after the 9-0 start. Plenty of coaches would let their guys play through it and we came back from that deficit. It’s two golden rules this coach should have that he seemingly doesn’t:

1) if either Mitchell gets a foul before the first TV timeout you pull them for Walker or Martin. No if ands or buts. Instead by the first TV TO Makhel had 2 fouls and Makhi 1. Or vice versa.

2) don’t put your bigs in positions where they have to put the ball on the deck and make decisions. Mitchells, Malik and Twan fall into this camp. 10 of our 14 turnovers were from those guys. Our TO issues are almost entirely due to our bigs and I don’t see enough being done to fix that.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CaptainRon wrote: 2 years ago
Playing without the only point guard PC has too.
But, but....BC!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

It is something when your true freshman who was supposed to redshirt, was the only one that showed up and played under the control.
Especially in this environment at the Dunk.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago This team needs a point guard and we don't have one.
Gassy is a legitimate point guard., I need to play him and find out if his shooting deficiencies can be overcome. No sense in doing a round peg insquare hole with Shep.
3 x