12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by section(105) »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Guessing it will be PC 61/2 point favorites. Certainly not a cupcake game!
……..maybe they think so……..?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI goes into the PC game as an organizationally dysfunctional basketball team. The talent is there but players are in the wrong seats on the bus. I feel this is the underlying cause for these long stretches of bad basketball we have seen against Tulsa, FGCU, Harvard and even BU. Sure, it is Cox's fault; he is struggling to recruit A10 competitive talent and can't choose what the talent is. Let me be specific. Mama Mitchell may be happy but Makhi is not ready to return from injury as a starter. Walker is not a good enough shooter to play SF which is now his best opportunity to become a starter. Shepp is not a PG and the contrast with Thomas who is a year away from being ready to start at PG is glaring. The results are what we have seen to date.

The best thing for this year is to start Makhel and Walker with Mahki coming off the bench a C, PF. Start Shepp and Malik at SG, SF with EA off the bench. Start Ish at PG with Thomas as a sub.

Unless PC lays an egg, I'm not optimistic about our chances on Saturday.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….do we have an “A” game?……..not sure what it is……..have we seen it yet?……to win we have to have had coaching out of the players the repetitive mistakes that result in the turnovers…….(see the previous TP post on corrective actions)…….gotta play through the jitters of playing in this “big game”…….gotta keep the crowd out of the game……..gotta find an unlikely hero to step up……our “B” game or “C+” game will Not get it done…….will be glad to get out of Dodge before the ATV parade starts……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago URI goes into the PC game as an organizationally dysfunctional basketball team. The talent is there but players are in the wrong seats on the bus. I feel this is the underlying cause for these long stretches of bad basketball we have seen against Tulsa, FGCU, Harvard and even BU. Sure, it is Cox's fault; he is struggling to recruit A10 competitive talent and can't choose what the talent is. Let me be specific. Mama Mitchell may be happy but Makhi is not ready to return from injury as a starter. Walker is not a good enough shooter to play SF which is now his best opportunity to become a starter. Shepp is not a PG and the contrast with Thomas who is a year away from being ready to start at PG is glaring. The results are what we have seen to date.

The best thing for this year is to start Makhel and Walker with Mahki coming off the bench a C, PF. Start Shepp and Malik at SG, SF with EA off the bench. Start Ish at PG with Thomas as a sub.

Going to go out on a limb and say they don’t change their entire rotation because Rhody72 said to
4 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago URI goes into the PC game as an organizationally dysfunctional basketball team. The talent is there but players are in the wrong seats on the bus. I feel this is the underlying cause for these long stretches of bad basketball we have seen against Tulsa, FGCU, Harvard and even BU. Sure, it is Cox's fault; he is struggling to recruit A10 competitive talent and can't choose what the talent is. Let me be specific. Mama Mitchell may be happy but Makhi is not ready to return from injury as a starter. Walker is not a good enough shooter to play SF which is now his best opportunity to become a starter. Shepp is not a PG and the contrast with Thomas who is a year away from being ready to start at PG is glaring. The results are what we have seen to date.

I’ve seen some bad takes here. This takes the cake.

Not an A10 roster?

Someone take away his devices.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Going to go out on a limb and say they don’t change their entire rotation because Rhody72 said to
C'mon 72, we definitely have A10 competitive talent on our roster.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Hmmmm
  • The Talent is there
  • He is struggling to recruit A10 competitive talent
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

…….just think back to the not so distant past……me and others here were thirsting for center type big men size not tweeners playing out of traditional 3, 4, 5 positions to better compete in the A-10…….now we got’em………your move coaches……..
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 2 years ago

I’ve seen some bad takes here. This takes the cake.

Not an A10 roster?

Someone take away his devices.
72 is a PC troll that fucks with this board with outrages takes like this one. They are actually very funny but don't take him seriously
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Pick & Pop - URI @ PC

Good podcast, other than Koch sort of defending the decision by PC to duck out of last years game - yes, I see his point, that financially it would be a loss for PC to play the game without fans and they admit it is typically their biggest draw of the non conference, and really PC "deferred" their home game to next year. To that, I'll ask - if this happened in a year with URI's home game, would PC be okay with us deferring? They would probably say "too bad, so sad." I hope our neighbors to the north remember this if this situation props up again.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC has a new mascot which will be introduced for this game:

FRIAR DUCK
Friar Duck.png
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Pick & Pop - URI @ PC

Good podcast, other than Koch sort of defending the decision by PC to duck out of last years game - yes, I see his point, that financially it would be a loss for PC to play the game without fans and they admit it is typically their biggest draw of the non conference, and really PC "deferred" their home game to next year. To that, I'll ask - if this happened in a year with URI's home game, would PC be okay with us deferring? They would probably say "too bad, so sad." I hope our neighbors to the north remember this if this situation props up again.
PC was going to keep the home game. It was never that PC - URI would be played last year with no fans, no revenues and then move this year to URI.

Don't believe any of that crap.

Cooley lied about the reason for canceling the game, got caught and then made up more bullshit.

Local media will never challenge Cooley on anything.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

PC was going to keep the home game. It was never that PC - URI would be played last year with no fans, no revenues and then move this year to URI.

Cooley lied about the reason for canceling the game, got caught and then made up more bullshit.

Yeah URI offered a "no fans" game to PC and would've allowed them to have the home game this year as well. Behind closed doors URI admin was furious.

Publicly PC was allowed to skate with a "scheduling" conflict (even though URI was completely flexible as to a date/time), and then magically scheduled Farleigh Dickinson in our place.

It was a chicken shit move. In reality, it's a rivalry game and URI was going to be a below average team - that was inconsistent enough and capable of beating PC, especially if PC wouldn't have a home-court advantage with their fans in the building. So Cooley didn't want to risk the game, fearing the very real possibility of a bad loss on his schedule. Guess he should've worried about the other games on his schedule too, since they didn't go to the tourney anyway.

We're the boogeymen in his closet, winning 2 of the last 3.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Can anyone find the quote when Ed Cooley said in 2017 that the URI-PC game was not a rivalry? I can't seem to find it anywhere. It would be priceless to have video footage of him saying that, but the printed quote would suffice.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Can anyone find the quote when Ed Cooley said in 2017 that the URI-PC game was not a rivalry? I can't seem to find it anywhere. It would be priceless to have video footage of him saying that, but the printed quote would suffice.
There is definitely video footage of it. He has said this multiple times.

The greatest one was around Christmas one year when he said something like Bah Humbug and grumpled a nasty sounding "Merry Christmas"
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

In my Google search, most of the results that came up were about last year's game being cancelled, which would also be excellent footage to see.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Can anyone find the quote when Ed Cooley said in 2017 that the URI-PC game was not a rivalry? I can't seem to find it anywhere. It would be priceless to have video footage of him saying that, but the printed quote would suffice.
It was 2015. I cant find specific quotes though.

https://thepublicsradio.org/post/pc-and ... ll-rivalry
https://www.hoopville.com/2015/12/06/pr ... ble-later/
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah URI offered a "no fans" game to PC and would've allowed them to have the home game this year as well. Behind closed doors URI admin was furious.

Publicly PC was allowed to skate with a "scheduling" conflict (even though URI was completely flexible as to a date/time), and then magically scheduled Farleigh Dickinson in our place.

It was a chicken shit move. In reality, it's a rivalry game and URI was going to be a below average team - that was inconsistent enough and capable of beating PC, especially if PC wouldn't have a home-court advantage with their fans in the building. So Cooley didn't want to risk the game, fearing the very real possibility of a bad loss on his schedule. Guess he should've worried about the other games on his schedule too, since they didn't go to the tourney anyway.

We're the boogeymen in his closet, winning 2 of the last 3.
It's even more predictable and classic PC and local media. Local media now trying to deflect, defend and spin the original facts.

PC was going to keep the Home Game this season REGARDLESS - as Blueman says. That is why it was such a chickenshit move. If URI was insisting the game be played at URI this year and PC would play last year with no revenue nobody in their right mind would agree to that. But that was NOT and never was the case.

Now to try to spin it and defend it is just total garbage and typical Ed Cooley and local media bullshit.
4 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Found it.

"I think our wonderful state makes more of it then it actually is, its another game that is good for our fans. To Me, I look at it, it's business, not a rivalry" said Providence College head coach Ed Cooley on the rivalry.

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/what ... ce-vs.-uri
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 2 years ago Found it.

"I think our wonderful state makes more of it then it actually is, its another game that is good for our fans. To Me, I look at it, it's business, not a rivalry" said Providence College head coach Ed Cooley on the rivalry.

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/what ... ce-vs.-uri

He also said once that you must play twice a year for it to be considered a rivalry. Funny think is it was PC that reduced the once twice a year series down to 1 game per year

I have looked for that video where he mumbled the Bah Humbug but have not been able to find it. Maybe was about 10 years ago?
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Great find Spooky Dog. I thought this would be easier to locate. You guys never disappoint with your endless access to URI basketball content.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….just think back to the not so distant past……me and others here were thirsting for center type big men size not tweeners playing out of traditional 3, 4, 5 positions to better compete in the A-10…….now we got’em………your move coaches……..
Yes, but it’s not like we took these new “great” big men and stuck them on other URI teams

Our guards from 2014-2020 were some of the best in the A10. Now they’re very middle of the pack
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From PC Board

Posted on 3 mins ago
.. (original post) I'd love to go to the game. But, I'm not paying those prices. Ridiculous.

Keep an eye on Stubhub, prices are tanking there....$40

https://www.stubhub.com/providence-fria ... 104940440/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Shep really needs a good breakout game, this would be the perfect opportunity.
EA has only taken 45 shots (6th on the team) maybe needs to be a little more assertive.
Ish starting to find his groove, let's hope it continues.
More Walker is a good thing highest FG% on team 68%.
Martin has been solid, need another good game from him.

I feel the Mitchells can hold their own in the paint, just need to limit fouls and turnovers (easier said than done), we can all hope.
I think it will all come down to our guard play and defense, that should decide our fate tomorrow.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If there are any geezers like me on this board, I remember the game at PC in the 68 ish era. Rhody lost at home to the Jimmy Walker PC team. Rhody had Steph, Chubin, Henry Carey,
Cymbala, Fitzgerald and Bobby Boehn.

No one gave us a chance in the return game at PC later that year(yes we played home and home those years).

We won this (can't win game) 84-61 AT PC.

We can win this one at PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PC will get a lot of votes if they end up beating us Saturday. We've shown that we can get red hot from 3. Let's hope our guys are on. We need to shoot well to keep this close. I'm nervous, but I'm also very excited!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago PC will get a lot of votes if they end up beating us Saturday. We've shown that we can get red hot from 3. Let's hope our guys are on. We need to shoot well to keep this close. I'm nervous, but I'm also very excited!!
They may get some votes Stevey if they win, but they are still probably the 6th best team in the BE behind: Villanova, UConn, Xavier, Seton Hall, and St. John's. That can always change though.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

How long has this new board been around? Whose tag line was taken as the name for this board? Troll - be serious! I have no problem with the talent of the players Cox is recruiting, just how they are being used. Makhi has not recovered from injury and his immobility is problematic. Many posters on this Board have recognized that Shepp is not a PG. The team will not improve until players are given the bet role for their talent. Until then, be prepared for lomg droughts during games.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I’m ready for the Duck Hunt!
10 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

EFF THIS PC SHIT
LETS GO RHODY
SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING HOW GREAT COOLEY AND PC IS
HELLLO.. YOU HAVE WON a TOTAL OF "1" NCAA GAME SINCE 1998 and THAT WAS A PLAY IN TUES NIGHT GAME
GO AWAY YOU LOSERS
FUCKING A LETS GO RHODY
5 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Where is the pregame spot in providence before the game?
1 x
Common sense is not common.
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago Where is the pregame spot in providence before the game?
I believe there’s an official alumni event at Malted Barley but heard it’s sold out. Personally, I’ll be at Murphy’s with some other KB friends late morning but may move elsewhere closer to tip-off.

It’s not often I get to attend games as strictly a fan so I’m looking forward to it!
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don’t think we’re the better team - but that’s why we play the game.

We ABSOLUTELY can win this game. LETS GO
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

PC acting pretty cocky on their board. Theyre too good for our little mid major program in southern RI. Their P5 program has been sooooo impressive with no tournament appearances in 4 years and no tourney wins in 7. Yikes couldn’t be me
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Opening Point Spread: PC -5 points
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Last team between PC and URI to:

win head to head: URI
win a tournament game: URI
get to the sweet 16: URI
get to the elite 8: URI
to be ranked in Top 25: URI
to win its conference: URI
9 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 2 years ago Last team between PC and URI to:

win head to head: URI
win a tournament game: URI
get to the sweet 16: URI
get to the elite 8: URI
to be ranked in Top 25: URI
to win its conference: URI
to duck the opponent: PC

great post
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

And none of that impacts the game on the court 12/04/2021. Goal is to win the game and that’s exactly what PC is going to do tomorrow. PC would have to lay down a real dogshit performance to lose this one.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago From PC Board

Posted on 3 mins ago
.. (original post) I'd love to go to the game. But, I'm not paying those prices. Ridiculous.

Keep an eye on Stubhub, prices are tanking there....$40

https://www.stubhub.com/providence-fria ... 104940440/
PC priced the tickets for this game too high. The face value to get in the building is keeping the casual fan away. And there’s not enough people in the state who are willing to pay to watch a mediocre Rhody team play an above average pC squad.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Opening Point Spread: PC -5 points
Take away 3 points for the home court advantage and it's a 2 point spread on a neutral court.

Big East Conference and $4,000,000 per year Coach for Life Ed Cooley for a 2 point advantage

#Whoducken
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Isn’t the game about winning/losing and playing well? Who cares about spread unless gambling?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Take away 3 points for the home court advantage and it's a 2 point spread on a neutral court.

Big East Conference and $4,000,000 per year Coach for Life Ed Cooley for a 2 point advantage

#Whoducken
I saw the -5 on Vegasinsider , let’s see how the action moves it , I don’t see it going lower
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

#Whoducken
I saw the -5 on Vegasinsider , let’s see how the action moves it , I don’t see it going lower
Right. I think it stays at the 5 points, equals betting on both sides. I like URI in this one getting the 5 points.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago And none of that impacts the game on the court 12/04/2021. Goal is to win the game and that’s exactly what PC is going to do tomorrow. PC would have to lay down a real dogshit performance to lose this one.
That is a strong statement lol
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Loling at pc fans complaining that kenpom has a bias against them
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Crazy that NONE of our current players played in that game two years ago.

Cant wait for them to be the first group to win in the dump since 03 :)

We are due
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago And none of that impacts the game on the court 12/04/2021. Goal is to win the game and that’s exactly what PC is going to do tomorrow. PC would have to lay down a real dogshit performance to lose this one.
That is a strong statement lol
Yeah. "A real dogs shit performance would have to take place for PC to lose."
PC is favored by only 5 points on their home court which gives 3 points just for the court. But what does the betting public know :roll: :roll:

$4,000,000 CFL man who ducked last season's home game because he was chicken is only favored by 5 at home. What is the ROI on that investment?
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

This is a blood game. I don’t care. It’s extremely personal. I don’t GAF. Either we win or we die.
2 x