Jalen Carey

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Jalen Carey

Unread post by Tom98 »

Can somebody give me his status? Will he be a go for Saturday? I certainly hope so.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Jalen Carey

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I was going to ask if he was still hurt for Harvard or if he was a DNP.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I was going to ask if he was still hurt for Harvard or if he was a DNP.
He was in street clothes - assuming still on the concussion protocol.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I was going to ask if he was still hurt for Harvard or if he was a DNP.
He was in street clothes - assuming still on the concussion protocol.
100% correct
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Would be a big help tomorrow. An athletic wing to defend PCs perimeter players.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Would be a big help tomorrow. An athletic wing to defend PCs perimeter players.
Carey has 6 Turnovers in 41 minutes with 2 assists. .3 Assist/TO Ratio. All 6 turnovers were losing the ball off the dribble or bad passes - none were from offensive fouls. He has not made a 3 Point shot since arriving at URI.

Last season he had 43 Turnovers in 369 minutes for 4.7 Turnovers per 40 minute game. Only 13 assists for a .3 Assist/TO Ratio.

Thomas has 2 Turnovers in 92 minutes with much more ball handling during those minutes. He has 9 assists. 4.5 Assist/TO Ratio is in Jeff Dowtin range during his 1st two years at URI

With Carey having played in only 4 of the 8 games to date it would be tough to put him in the PC game. Let him get some playing time in some of the upcoming OOC games, not this one imho.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Carey is very talented and athletic, but careless as well so he's a double edged sword in my opinion.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Athletic, can have some great plays ESPN Top 10 caliber. Fans love those types of plays.
1st game this season he had the ball at the top of the key dribbling and just lost control of it right to his defender with no pressure at all being put on him
All of his dribbling turnovers I don't see the defender stealing the ball as much as he just loses control of it
He struggled with Turnovers at Syracuse, last season at URI and this season at URI
Not a good shooter.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Carey is very talented and athletic, but careless as well so he's a double edged sword in my opinion.
His athleticism and ability to cut to the rim and score is elite...as long as he doesn't have to dribble to get there.

For an offense that's predicated on back-door cuts, it would be nice to see the bigs draw their defenders outside the paint and get Carey moving towards the basket to score...

Any idea who's job it is to put players in the best position to be successful?
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Athletic, can have some great plays ESPN Top 10 caliber. Fans love those types of plays.
1st game this season he had the ball at the top of the key dribbling and just lost control of it right to his defender with no pressure at all being put on him
All of his dribbling turnovers I don't see the defender stealing the ball as much as he just loses control of it
He struggled with Turnovers at Syracuse, last season at URI and this season at URI
Not a good shooter.
Yes Ramster we can't argue with the stats and his turnovers are problematic.
Yet Carey is somewhat of an enigma, his athletic skills at times are through the roof, and yet time and again he can't get out of his own way as far as ball security.
Yes would love to see him match up defensively with some of the bigger guards and wings, but how much do we really trust him?
You would think these issues can be corrected and he definitely needs to spend time working on his perimeter shooting.
Let's just see as the season progresses and when he gets healthy, if his positives will outweigh the negatives.
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

I think Carey will see some limited minutes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd prefer to stay with the 8 man rotation at this point. Dance with the one that brung ya.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It can’t be that hard after years of college basketball to give someone strict instructions to not turn the ball over. And then on an ad how basis determine if his turnovers he inevitably has are within reason. Just so bad with the ball.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago It can’t be that hard after years of college basketball to give someone strict instructions to not turn the ball over. And then on an ad how basis determine if his turnovers he inevitably has are within reason. Just so bad with the ball.
I mean, I'm pretty sure every coach in America gives "strict instructions" to not turn the ball over. It's not like coaches tell players it's okay to turn the ball over. Some are just better at it than others.
3 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago It can’t be that hard after years of college basketball to give someone strict instructions to not turn the ball over. And then on an ad how basis determine if his turnovers he inevitably has are within reason. Just so bad with the ball.
He has difficulty controlling his dribbling and makes bad passes. Same issue at Syracuse.

Thomas has moved not only off the redshirt designation but up the rotation list. He played a career high 20 minutes vs Harvard. Expect more playing time down the road not less as he is blossoming into a fine player. Very coachable and a quick learner.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
I mean, I'm pretty sure every coach in America gives "strict instructions" to not turn the ball over. It's not like coaches tell players it's okay to turn the ball over. Some are just better at it than others.
Yeaaaaa I mean if you have played basketball you know it’s not as simple as someone just gets on the floor and plays the way that they play. Nearly all basketball players can play different ways with different goals in mind. I’m saying it’s unbelievable that this kid walks the ball up at this time in his career and dribbles the ball into the hands of the other team while he is just standing there bouncing the ball. It’s egregious. And I like him and hokd out hope for him. I don’t think he is playing with ball security top of mind.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago
Yeaaaaa I mean if you have played basketball you know it’s not as simple as someone just gets on the floor and plays the way that they play. Nearly all basketball players can play different ways with different goals in mind. I’m saying it’s unbelievable that this kid walks the ball up at this time in his career and dribbles the ball into the hands of the other team while he is just standing there bouncing the ball. It’s egregious. And I like him and hokd out hope for him. I don’t think he is playing with ball security top of mind.
Right. I’ve seen it numerous times. Not even while getting pressured the ball just gets away from him
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago Carey is very talented and athletic, but careless as well so he's a double edged sword in my opinion.
His athleticism and ability to cut to the rim and score is elite...as long as he doesn't have to dribble to get there.

For an offense that's predicated on back-door cuts, it would be nice to see the bigs draw their defenders outside the paint and get Carey moving towards the basket to score...

Any idea who's job it is to put players in the best position to be successful?
God, right? :lol:
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

He’s a poor man’s Stan Robinson. At least that’s what I see out there. Good guy to have in your rotation is he can find a little more consistency
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago He’s a poor man’s Stan Robinson. At least that’s what I see out there. Good guy to have in your rotation is he can find a little more consistency
Jalen Carey is nowhere close to the player Stan was.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like to give Carey opportunities for about 10 minutes he gives us a guard that can finish around the rim as soon as he starts turning it over then get him out
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I like to give Carey opportunities for about 10 minutes he gives us a guard that can finish around the rim as soon as he starts turning it over then get him out
Reef, Kingstown Lane and Rhody15,
You all seem to want to see Carey tomorrow so who do you want to see David Cox sit for the 10 minutes that Carey plays? Just curious. I would not play Carey at all vs PC tomorrow. Personally, I think his ball handling will be a problem with PC's quick and aggressive guards defending and trapping him.
2 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Long way to go to be Stan. Stan could stick the corner 3 and had that knack of always being in the right place.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago I like to give Carey opportunities for about 10 minutes he gives us a guard that can finish around the rim as soon as he starts turning it over then get him out
You all seem to want to see Carey tomorrow so who do you want to see David Cox sit for the 10 minutes that Carey plays? Just curious. I would not play Carey at all vs PC tomorrow. Personally, I think his ball handling will be a problem with PC's quick and aggressive guards defending and trapping him.
Not sure but that’s up to Cox to manage the rotation. If he’s cleared I think he deserves the opportunity for some burn if he fails then sub him back out
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
Not sure but that’s up to Cox to manage the rotation. If he’s cleared I think he deserves the opportunity for some burn if he fails then sub him back out
He has missed the last 2 games and only played 4 games all year. Thomas is playing solid defense, only 2 turnovers in 93 minutes played and does not get rattled. El-Amin, Sheppard and Leggett being spelled by Martin and Thomas has been working well with Carey out. I hold my breath when Carey has the ball in his hands. We must minimize turnovers tomorrow.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m with Ramster. I’m not eager to insert a now rusty turnover prone guard into a game like this. I actually think we are going to need 30 mins from Malik at the 3 in this game bc of their length in back court. So less minutes to go around in back court and Shepp, Ish and Ish need to take almost all of them. Maybe spot usage for Thomas but I fear this game overwhelming him. This isn’t the game I would ease Carey back into the rotation.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I’m with Ramster. I’m not eager to insert a now rusty turnover prone guard into a game like this. I actually think we are going to need 30 mins from Malik at the 3 in this game bc of their length in back court. So less minutes to go around in back court and Shepp, Ish and Ish need to take almost all of them. Maybe spot usage for Thomas but I fear this game overwhelming him. This isn’t the game I would ease Carey back into the rotation.
I like 30 plus minutes from Malik as well especially the way he been playing . If Carey is dressed I be willing to wager Cox puts him in in the 1st half .
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I’m with Ramster. I’m not eager to insert a now rusty turnover prone guard into a game like this. I actually think we are going to need 30 mins from Malik at the 3 in this game bc of their length in back court. So less minutes to go around in back court and Shepp, Ish and Ish need to take almost all of them. Maybe spot usage for Thomas but I fear this game overwhelming him. This isn’t the game I would ease Carey back into the rotation.
I like 30 plus minutes from Malik as well especially the way he been playing . If Carey is dressed I be willing to wager Cox puts him in in the 1st half .
If we lose by 1 point and Carey plays and commits even 1 turnover during his playing time, then I will have commentary for the Fire Cox thread that will not be of my here-to-for supportive variety.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

My comment doesnt necessarily mean tomorrow is the right time to bring him back.

I prefer him to Thomas right now. Not the same player at all, but Thomas is obviously overmatched against better competition. Carey can score at a high major level, can he play “clean” enough for it to matter is always the X factor
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
My comment doesnt necessarily mean tomorrow is the right time to bring him back.

I prefer him to Thomas right now. Not the same player at all, but Thomas is obviously overmatched against better competition. Carey can score at a high major level, can he play “clean” enough for it to matter is always the X factor
Maybe you mean that Thomas is still very green and Carey has already played on the bigger stage. Although many times it hasn't worked out very well.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

"We told our guys dey can't turn da ball over." How much more coaching do you need?
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Carey didn’t transfer from Cuse to URI and get any DNP-Coaches Decision highly doubt that happens
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Would be a big help tomorrow. An athletic wing to defend PCs perimeter players.
Carey has 6 Turnovers in 41 minutes with 2 assists. .3 Assist/TO Ratio. All 6 turnovers were losing the ball off the dribble or bad passes - none were from offensive fouls. He has not made a 3 Point shot since arriving at URI.

Last season he had 43 Turnovers in 369 minutes for 4.7 Turnovers per 40 minute game. Only 13 assists for a .3 Assist/TO Ratio.

Thomas has 2 Turnovers in 92 minutes with much more ball handling during those minutes. He has 9 assists. 4.5 Assist/TO Ratio is in Jeff Dowtin range during his 1st two years at URI

With Carey having played in only 4 of the 8 games to date it would be tough to put him in the PC game. Let him get some playing time in some of the upcoming OOC games, not this one imho.
I agree on this. I think he just takes value minutes away from the rest of the guards and makes it harder for them to get in a flow. He can’t shoot, turns the ball over a ton and hasn’t played recently. I would have trust in Carey in this game. He is more suited for the Harvard, BU, Holy Cross type games
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 2 years ago Carey didn’t transfer from Cuse to URI and get any DNP-Coaches Decision highly doubt that happens
He transferred from Syracuse because he isn’t that good and thought dropping a level would give him big playing time. Think he needs to drop down 1-2 more levels
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

I agree on this. I think he just takes value minutes away from the rest of the guards and makes it harder for them to get in a flow. He can’t shoot, turns the ball over a ton and hasn’t played recently. I would have trust in Carey in this game. He is more suited for the Harvard, BU, Holy Cross type games
Completely disagree - there is a role for Carey on this team and particularly against higher level teams with better athletes.
7 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Long way to go to be Stan. Stan could stick the corner 3 and had that knack of always being in the right place.
His corner 3 at the buzzer against Duquesne remains one of my favorite in-person memories from the Hurley years.
7 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That game was nuts.
1 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Please let’s not get crazy and compare Carey to Stan Robinson.

Carey could be solid if put in positions to be successful but as a major minutes guard handling the ball he’s a liability.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago Please let’s not get crazy and compare Carey to Stan Robinson.

Carey could be solid if put in positions to be successful but as a major minutes guard handling the ball he’s a liability.
Yes.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Completely disagree - there is a role for Carey on this team and particularly against higher level teams with better athletes.
Nothing about Carey on the court makes me feel good. If you are up 10 with 4 minutes left if you wanted some defense I guess, but no way would I want the ball in his hands.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Nothing about Carey on the court makes me feel good. If you are up 10 with 4 minutes left if you wanted some defense I guess, but no way would I want the ball in his hands.
Exactly. He can't shoot or dribble. These are kind of 2 important things a player should be able to do. Basically, he's offensive kryptonite.

His greatest attribute is he's super athletic and if can clean up offensive rebounds and finish near the rim without putting the ball on the floor and play good defense, he could be useful in small doses.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am good with him getting 8-10 minutes he can get us a couple hoops in transition with his athleticism
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 2 years ago Long way to go to be Stan. Stan could stick the corner 3 and had that knack of always being in the right place.
To say nothing of his elite defense and the ability to deploy him on the defensive end against a variety of different players. I'm still pissed he didn't get A10 defensive player of the year
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

When I think of Stan I think of great anticipation and taking charges.

I think it is fair to say that our current team does not take charges, certainly not Carey!

A mark of a top tier defense is taking charges. We simply do not do it.

What culture is back ?
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jalen Carey and Stan Robinson are about the same height and weight, and... that's about it. Like, they had similar numbers at their first schools, but Robinson was an awesome defender and a low-usage, OK offensive player from the second he got to URI. Carey's numbers (per 40 minutes) got worse from Syracuse to URI.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
His corner 3 at the buzzer against Duquesne remains one of my favorite in-person memories from the Hurley years.
Then there was the last-second out-of-nowhere block against Davidson. For that one play alone he should be on the Ring of Honor.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Then there was the last-second out-of-nowhere block against Davidson. For that one play alone he should be on the Ring of Honor.
My greatest memory of Stan was 21 points in 22 minutes played vs Oregon in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament in Sacramento March 20, 2017.
He was amazing on National TV hitting 10 of 12 FG’s.

Exciting to be there in person to also witness our win over Big East Creighton in the 1st round.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

My greatest memory of Stan was 21 points in 22 minutes played vs Oregon in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament in Sacramento March 20, 2017.

Exciting to be there in person to also witness our win over Big East Creighton in the 1st round.
That was amazing. And if Hassan wasn't injured we win that game and go on to Sweet 16.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was amazing. And if Hassan wasn't injured we win that game and go on to Sweet 16.
Yes that was my favorite Stan moment as well that Oregon game he was fantastic

We had a team that eventually made the final 4 on the ropes !!
0 x